Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:04 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,424 Posts
I use AVS video editor for my AVI files and haven't had any probs at all. Also use VLC for playback. Done a fair bit of editing lately and works fine. Bit of loss converting to MP3 though. Might change when I get my new cam but I hope not.
I tried to dl another free program suggested here and got free toolbars that took up half my screen even though I decided to stop dloading the program half way through. Had to revert my puter back a couple of days to get rid of the crap.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:28 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
I use AVS video editor for my AVI files and haven't had any probs at all. Also use VLC for playback. Done a fair bit of editing lately and works fine. Bit of loss converting to MP3 though. Might change when I get my new cam but I hope not.
I tried to dl another free program suggested here and got free toolbars that took up half my screen even though I decided to stop dloading the program half way through. Had to revert my puter back a couple of days to get rid of the crap.
Have you edited the AVI file from the #16 camera yet? If not try it by doing a simple cut, and then let us know if you can edit the file after the cut.

You need to be careful downloading and installing the freeware editors. The download pages sometimes have more than one download link (some direct to another file download first), and the installers sometimes have that "extra" stuff you may have gotten as part of the "Full Install" options. I always select "Manual Install" so the extra stuff I don't want can be "unchecked" and omitted. If an AVI format files is required by an editor, record in MOV format, then do a lossless conversion to AVI with MP4cam2AVI.exe. It's lossless (does direct copy with no re-encoding), very fast, and ouputs a STANDARD AVI file that can be edited by most editors.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:07 PM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,290 Posts
Is anyone using one of these camera's as a FPV Video Source??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180937263580...84.m1497.l2649

I am wondering if I can record 720p HD while also outputting video to my vTX?? If anyone out there is doing this, could you provide any video footage from the vRX??

Interested in how good the quality of live video feed is.

Thanks
subaru4wd is online now Find More Posts by subaru4wd
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:15 PM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,424 Posts
I paid for my AVS video editor program some time ago when I subscribed to all AVS programs. It may be different to the free version. I don't know.
Tom, I haven't recieved my #16 yet but it is on its 'way. I will let you know the outcome.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
I paid for my AVS video editor program some time ago when I subscribed to all AVS programs. It may be different to the free version. I don't know.
Tom, I haven't recieved my #16 yet but it is on its 'way. I will let you know the outcome.
The AVS free version is supposed to be identical to the $65 registered version, except an AVS logo is planted on the output.

I haven't tried to edit the AVI files over the last couple of FW revisions, but I just tried using the v0.49 AVI FW, and now I CAN edit the native files with some free editors! VDub still doesn't work, but the latest AviDemux 2.5.6 does, and the latest 2012 MovieMaker does as well. So, you may have no problems!
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverth View Post
Thank you for the rapid response.

Formatted on windows and tried again:
File is not set to read-only.

Uploading firmware yellow flashes rapidly for about two seconds then all off for 7-8 seconds and then the camera boots "normally" (red->yellow), cannot record or change mode.
The 2seconds or rapid flashing is same behaviour as on previous firmware updates, never seen the camera flash for 8 seconds. And my V1 is out of action and cannot remember how it acted.
Tried waiting couple minutes, but the yellow stays on. Keeping powerbutton pressed shuts the camera down, but If I touch the power button after that, camera tries the firmware update again.

When trying to reupload the bootloader the yellow flashes two or three times very rapidly, nothing for a half a second and then red seems to be constantly on for around 2 seconds and then nothing, the camera is off.

Tried with different computers, linux and windows. Cables are good as they have no problems with my portable drive. Neither of these computers had problems with old bootloader and 0.38.
Linux kernel messages dont even see a USB connect/disconnect.

Battery is full, measured around 4.10V when I had it disconnected. I still find it strange that it wont flash the yellow when no card is inserted.
The older firmware were lying on my drive and have been in the camera so they should have been good. For 0.49 I downloaded each one from the first page for different computers.

I can upload videos of the upload process if you want.
I am experiencing the same thing. Had V .27 of software, tried to upgrade to .49 (avi or mov), and neither would update. It would flash quickly for 1-2 seconds, that's it, and then the camera would not work.

I went back to .27 and it installed just fine... it flashed yellow for longer than 1-2 seconds, perhaps 6-7 seconds when installing.

I don't think .49 is installing at all. I have a V1 camera as well.
varnco is offline Find More Posts by varnco
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:46 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
I have not been here in a while. I notice they added motion detect and timelapse. interesting. has anyone played with timelapse yet? how long will it "go" on the internal battery in timelapse mode? any tried it played with it shot some lapse video?

stability? how long have you gone (with external power) how large are the image captures? thinking with a solar usb battery pack could put it outside for months possibly.

any chance of auto start on power up yet?
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Comments in Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I have not been here in a while. I notice they added motion detect and timelapse. interesting. has anyone played with timelapse yet?
yes
how long will it "go" on the internal battery in timelapse mode?
I don't think anyone has tested this, but would obviously depend on the user-set delay between images captures..

any tried it played with it shot some lapse video?
The timelapse mode is for photos only and is a bit of a misnomer. It just shoots still images continuously with a user set delay between them. But you can join those images together to form an MJPEG movie with various software. Some samples were recently posted.

stability? how long have you gone (with external power) how large are the image captures? thinking with a solar usb battery pack could put it outside for months possibly.
I haven't run to an extreme like that, but the memory card will be the limiting factor. It's easy to get many, many, many thousands of still images, which are typically between 300k and 325k in size. So if you set the delay between images as low as 1 sec., that's qbout 60 * 325K = 19.5 MB/min., which would fill up a 32 GB memory card in about 27-1/2 hours. On the other hand, setting the delay for 60 sec. would extend that to about 68 days. The latter could be used for something like creating a timelapse video of a construction project, trees changing color and dropping their leaves, etc.

any chance of auto start on power up yet?
No, not if you mean going right into shooting video. That would require circuit redesign, I believe, and eliminates the other functionality of photo mode, other video applications, and web cam use. It would only appeal to a much smaller market segment for which there are already other cameras available to do this. I doubt this will happen, but who knows?
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 04, 2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: correct reply to first question.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:07 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
oh I know what timelapse is :-) I have a dozen android phones that I use as dedicated timelapse camera's bit I can see the wide angle #16 coming in VERY handy for timelapse in close quarters situations where there is less room for a tripod :-)

when time allows I will have to shoot some lapses and see how they come out. (yeah I know how to stitch em together Grrr still can't find any software to do a 4k non recompress stitch all of them puke on the 4k image resolution (my evo can lapse at 4k)

I know it would be a niche subset (auto start) but #1 if it did not take a circuit redesign it would simply be an "option" to toggle ie irrelevant to those who did not need it and #2 the number of users for such a feature would probably surpass the number of us who attach these to airplanes and rockets!

but if it needs a hardware change clearly that puts it off the table. hopefully they will think of this in the next iteration.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
An odd question

Hi I had a question regarding the 808 #16 (or 808 in general).

Is there any good method anyone would recommend on how to protect the camera properly being thrown from a 7-8 story building, while keeping the mic and camera unobstructed? Ideas I had:

* wrap heavily in paper towel
* stuff in a small pillow pouch (secure with rubber bands and tape)

I was wondering if someone has already come up with a rather secure method of protecting it from severe falls or abuse. I have my own reasons for using the camera....thanks.
fxscreamer is offline Find More Posts by fxscreamer
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnco View Post
I am experiencing the same thing. Had V .27 of software, tried to upgrade to .49 (avi or mov), and neither would update. It would flash quickly for 1-2 seconds, that's it, and then the camera would not work.

I went back to .27 and it installed just fine... it flashed yellow for longer than 1-2 seconds, perhaps 6-7 seconds when installing.

I don't think .49 is installing at all. I have a V1 camera as well.
Mine is an early V2 camera. I do not have .27, but I tried with .22 and .25 and the difference is that after the rapid blinking the yellow led stays on until reboot. Firmware installed as confirmed from SYSCFG.TXT

Isoprop:
During the above tests I found out that the camera will remove the firmware from the card, if I keep the shutter button pressed after the yellow has stopped blinking and releasing it after reboot when led turns to yellow.
The camera is still stuck and wont record or change mode.
Also error on previous posts, I meant 0.36 firmware instead of 0.38.
Neverth is offline Find More Posts by Neverth
Last edited by Neverth; Nov 05, 2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverth View Post
Thank you for the rapid response.

Formatted on windows and tried again:
File is not set to read-only.

Uploading firmware yellow flashes rapidly for about two seconds then all off for 7-8 seconds and then the camera boots "normally" (red->yellow), cannot record or change mode.
The 2seconds or rapid flashing is same behaviour as on previous firmware updates, never seen the camera flash for 8 seconds. And my V1 is out of action and cannot remember how it acted.
Tried waiting couple minutes, but the yellow stays on. Keeping powerbutton pressed shuts the camera down, but If I touch the power button after that, camera tries the firmware update again.

When trying to reupload the bootloader the yellow flashes two or three times very rapidly, nothing for a half a second and then red seems to be constantly on for around 2 seconds and then nothing, the camera is off.

Tried with different computers, linux and windows. Cables are good as they have no problems with my portable drive. Neither of these computers had problems with old bootloader and 0.38.
Linux kernel messages dont even see a USB connect/disconnect.

Battery is full, measured around 4.10V when I had it disconnected. I still find it strange that it wont flash the yellow when no card is inserted.
The older firmware were lying on my drive and have been in the camera so they should have been good. For 0.49 I downloaded each one from the first page for different computers.

I can upload videos of the upload process if you want.
Please don't try and update the bootloader any more. If something goes wrong during the process you will have a major problem. The bootloader is not the problem.

Let's try and find out what's going on one step at a time.

I'm assuming you used Windows to update the firmware so we can rule out a possible upper/lower case file name conflict.

When you updated the firmware you mentioned that after about 10 seconds the yellow LED remained on. This is the correct behavior of v0.49 combined with V3 bootloader. At this stage the FW file should have been automatically deleted and the camera should be in standby mode - don't check this yet, don't press any buttons. Assuming the camera is still disconnected from the computer and the yellow LED is still on (it will turn off after 30 seconds), what happens if you press the shutter button? Do you get 3 fast blinks indicating recording has started? If yes, wait a few seconds and then press the shutter button to stop the recording. Now press the power button for about 2 seconds until the camera turns off. Remove the card and use a card reader to look at what's on the card. Is there a DCIM folder in the root folder, and has the firmware file been deleted?

I'm hoping you'll reply "yes"....

[EDIT] You have posted in the meantime. You should never need to press the shutter button for more than a second. However, I admit I don't understand why your camera doesn't record but it can generate a configuration file. If it can generate a config file the firmware is running correctly. All the same, please report back what happens if you do as I posted above. [/EDIT]
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Nov 05, 2012 at 02:16 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:10 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,237 Posts
I had this camera with the wide angle lens for about a month now but I was kinda disappointed in the sharpness. I looked at a video I took today on the front of my EPP wing and after it landed, I can see that the grass right in front of the plane is razor sharp. Duh. Focus.

So I took the top half off and couldn't budge the lens without breaking it. So I took some acetone and put the smallest drop on the threads where the glue is and let it sit. I did this three times and finally was able to move the lens. Of course this comes with a heavy risk of getting it on the inside of the lens or on the sensor itself but it was the only thing that worked for me.

Oh and to protect the camera I put mine in the foam 'box' it came in and cut holes for the lens, the usb port, and the 2 switches on top, then glued it all back up. I can probably drop it from a decent height and only worry about the lens.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:51 AM
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxscreamer View Post
Hi I had a question regarding the 808 #16 (or 808 in general).

Is there any good method anyone would recommend on how to protect the camera properly being thrown from a 7-8 story building, while keeping the mic and camera unobstructed? Ideas I had:

* wrap heavily in paper towel
* stuff in a small pillow pouch (secure with rubber bands and tape)

I was wondering if someone has already come up with a rather secure method of protecting it from severe falls or abuse. I have my own reasons for using the camera....thanks.
Tie it onto an ordinary balloon with a short length of string. It wouldn't fall fast enough to get any damage and the video would be extended a little bit longer for effect.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:54 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
I had this camera with the wide angle lens for about a month now but I was kinda disappointed in the sharpness. I looked at a video I took today on the front of my EPP wing and after it landed, I can see that the grass right in front of the plane is razor sharp. Duh. Focus.

So I took the top half off and couldn't budge the lens without breaking it. So I took some acetone and put the smallest drop on the threads where the glue is and let it sit. I did this three times and finally was able to move the lens. Of course this comes with a heavy risk of getting it on the inside of the lens or on the sensor itself but it was the only thing that worked for me.

Oh and to protect the camera I put mine in the foam 'box' it came in and cut holes for the lens, the usb port, and the 2 switches on top, then glued it all back up. I can probably drop it from a decent height and only worry about the lens.
Yes, the glue can be a problem. You took an enormous risk using acetone. That stuff is evil on lenses, but if it works, then it's good to know. All the same, it's very, very dangerous when used in the vicinity of lenses. So, others be warned that you must be patient and only use tiny drops. Interesting info all the same, I wouldn't have dared
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop