HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:03 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
There has been several posts inquiring about a longer focal length (e.g. "telephoto") lens, but I don't know if the developer has tried to find an acceptable one.

My short comment is I don't think it's practical to do the kind of AV you refer to with such inexpensive hardware. Have you produced acceptable videos with the longer focal length lens? If so, please post a sample for us!

My longer reply is based on my use of telephoto lenses on a still photo camera. If you've done it, you know that it amplifies the slightest movement of the camera, and movement is alread pretty excessive with the existing lenses. For AV use, or any other use where the camera is not fixed, it would take a VERY stable platform coupled with active image stabilization in the camera to make a native video that would be "watchable". Some platform stabilization is possible using a dual servo gimbal mount coupled with gyro/accelerometer sensors, and this hardware is commercially available for use in small RC aircraft (my multi-rotor X-copter flight controller [about $70] has this capability). But the #16 has no image stabilization capability in it's current form, so post-editing would also be necessary to reduce the motion, and that also has some undesirable side-effects, like clipping and/or zooming and/or smearing of the video at the edges. That's a lot of trouble and expense to do this with a $40 camera to get very mediocre results. The camera really needs a larger/higher resolution CMOS module and lens, and most likely a more capable DSP chip that can do good image stabilization to get acceptable results.

But, maybe my expectations of what is "acceptable" are too demanding?.
I've tried telephoto aerial shots... not good, without a method of seeing exactly where the camera is pointing. Possibly an FPV camera, but the motion induced gastrointestonal awareness factor will be a significant added "benefit"...
Anyway, these cameras are about to the limit of adding features without escalating the costs.
Here's a couple shots with the Kodak 2X lens on an 808 compared with the normal lens.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
[...
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 27, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Greetings

I might want to try an older bootloader. I can update both bootloader and firmware, and for firmware I can confirm it works as I am able to extract SYSCFG.TXT and I can see it reports the V3 bootloader? {LDMICDVR,v1.1S,09/28/2012}

Problem is that the device does not show up as usb device (dmesg/lsusb show no activity and widows does not detect it either) and I cannot record or change mode (video/photo) when it is on.
Even with "new" bootloader it does not remove the firmware file after update and when I power the camera with no card, it does not flash the yellow led (firmware 18, 38 and 49 tested). I have tried writing the bootloader couple more times and it never reboots itself, leds just turn off. After firmware update it seems to reboot but is completely stuck, except I can power it off. Once turned on again, it reinstalls the firmware and reboots (firmware on card).
I can also write the SYSCFG to the device, but alteast 30sec autoshutdown does nothing.
As device can be turned off by the power button normally, I assume the software has not completely crashed.

I have tried different cards and usb cables so they are not the problem. Tried the reset button and disconnected battery for an hour but they did not improve the situation.

All this started after updating the V3 bootloader.

The hardware is V2 camera from digitalele889 before it came officially for sale (accidental discounts thing on ebay).

Any pointers/ideas will be appreciated.
Neverth is offline Find More Posts by Neverth
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:01 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I installed the V3 booter in my #16 V2 N13, and lost the ability to see the videos in QuickTimePlayer.
The video will play in WLMM, but needs to be translated to a different format like .avi or wvm.
Need some other codec now. Drat!
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Hello all,
sorry, maybe I miss something, but I can't find any instructions how to use motion detection which had been released in the last firmware update. Could anybody to shed a light on it?
aleks905 is offline Find More Posts by aleks905
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, Norfk
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I'm surprised no one has answered you yet

Yes, your camera is already running the latest bootloader. The GUI will prevent you from installing it a second time. If you were to select the bootloader, the program will tell you that is is already loaded and the "Install" button will become disabled. Unlike the firmware, there will never be a need to re-install the bootloader. Generally speaking, the bootloader should only be upgraded, never downgraded.
Hi Isoprop, if you look at my screen shot it was not showing that the v3 bootloader was local, evan though it was in my computer, I have now down loaded it agian, & it is now showing up as local, now when I click install etc. it tells me that v3 is installed, keep up the good work.

manty thanks.

pintail.
pintail1 is offline Find More Posts by pintail1
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2012
185 Posts
[QUOTE=Lee;23166119]Just playing with the #16D and #16 cameras

I have upgraded to the latest firmware. I did not edit jello, shake or color.

I mounted the #16 on the top of my transmitter and shot the second half of the video while flying the plane.

The Albatross looks great! I want one.

Hey, would you mind detailing how you went about the wing mount for the 808?
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Jul 2012
30 Posts
Hi,
The v0.49 firmware is suitable to #16 v1 ?
If not, what firmware suitable for this model ?
eitan is offline Find More Posts by eitan
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverth View Post
Greetings

I might want to try an older bootloader. I can update both bootloader and firmware, and for firmware I can confirm it works as I am able to extract SYSCFG.TXT and I can see it reports the V3 bootloader? {LDMICDVR,v1.1S,09/28/2012}

Problem is that the device does not show up as usb device (dmesg/lsusb show no activity and widows does not detect it either) and I cannot record or change mode (video/photo) when it is on.
Even with "new" bootloader it does not remove the firmware file after update and when I power the camera with no card, it does not flash the yellow led (firmware 18, 38 and 49 tested). I have tried writing the bootloader couple more times and it never reboots itself, leds just turn off. After firmware update it seems to reboot but is completely stuck, except I can power it off. Once turned on again, it reinstalls the firmware and reboots (firmware on card).
I can also write the SYSCFG to the device, but alteast 30sec autoshutdown does nothing.
As device can be turned off by the power button normally, I assume the software has not completely crashed.

I have tried different cards and usb cables so they are not the problem. Tried the reset button and disconnected battery for an hour but they did not improve the situation.

All this started after updating the V3 bootloader.

The hardware is V2 camera from digitalele889 before it came officially for sale (accidental discounts thing on ebay).

Any pointers/ideas will be appreciated.
There is no point in trying to reinstall the bootloader. Don't do it!
If the bootloader was bad, your camera wouldn't work at all.

I also advise you to forget any older firmware versions. Concentrate on v0.49.

Format your card using a card reader using sdformatter. In sdformatter click the "option" button and then set "Format Type" to Full [Erase]. Leave the Format size adjustment to off.

When sdformatter completes, copy the firmware file to to empty card.
Turn on the camera and wait at least 10 seconds and watch the LED. Most probably the red LED will flash after about 8 or 9 seconds and then turn off and then on again and finally the yellow LED will turn on and remain on. This is assuming you are running bootloader v3 and firmware v0.49.

If the yellow LED remains on, I would say with 99% certainty that your camera is working correctly. If you now connect the camera to your PC, it should be recognized as an external drive. If it isn't, then either the USB cable is defective or your PC USB external device driver is not functioning correctly. You may have to restart your PC or try another PC.

I know you said you have tried different cables, so the problem is likely to lie with your PC.

Does you camera otherwise function correctly? i.e. can it record video? If I understand you correctly, you say it doesn't, which seems strange.

The bootloader is very small and is responsible for loading the firmware. Everything else is the responsibility of the firmware. Your bootloader is fine if your camera turns on and you can extract the SYSCFG.TXT file.

Are you sure your firmware file's attribute is not set to read-only?
You indirectly mention Linux (or Mac) and Windows, but please use a true Windows PC (no VM) for your tests.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitan View Post
Hi,
The v0.49 firmware is suitable to #16 v1 ?
If not, what firmware suitable for this model ?
V1 is 100% compatible with all firmware versions and always will be! or vice versa!
The only difference with V1 models is you will not have video-out.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:14 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Here's my wingmount...
VelcroTM between the camera and the wing, and duct tape for that added security.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
annoying issue

For some reason i cant cut the avi file with vlc.
Normally i record the interesting parts with vlc record button but for some reason i only get wav(audio) files. Does anyone know how to fix it. Before .49update i could easily record video+audio from the original mov file.

thanks
pimjan is offline Find More Posts by pimjan
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
There is no point in trying to reinstall the bootloader. Don't do it!
If the bootloader was bad, your camera wouldn't work at all.

I also advise you to forget any older firmware versions. Concentrate on v0.49.

Format your card using a card reader using sdformatter. In sdformatter click the "option" button and then set "Format Type" to Full [Erase]. Leave the Format size adjustment to off.

When sdformatter completes, copy the firmware file to to empty card.
Turn on the camera and wait at least 10 seconds and watch the LED. Most probably the red LED will flash after about 8 or 9 seconds and then turn off and then on again and finally the yellow LED will turn on and remain on. This is assuming you are running bootloader v3 and firmware v0.49.

If the yellow LED remains on, I would say with 99% certainty that your camera is working correctly. If you now connect the camera to your PC, it should be recognized as an external drive. If it isn't, then either the USB cable is defective or your PC USB external device driver is not functioning correctly. You may have to restart your PC or try another PC.

I know you said you have tried different cables, so the problem is likely to lie with your PC.

Does you camera otherwise function correctly? i.e. can it record video? If I understand you correctly, you say it doesn't, which seems strange.

The bootloader is very small and is responsible for loading the firmware. Everything else is the responsibility of the firmware. Your bootloader is fine if your camera turns on and you can extract the SYSCFG.TXT file.

Are you sure your firmware file's attribute is not set to read-only?
You indirectly mention Linux (or Mac) and Windows, but please use a true Windows PC (no VM) for your tests.
Thank you for the rapid response.

Formatted on windows and tried again:
File is not set to read-only.

Uploading firmware yellow flashes rapidly for about two seconds then all off for 7-8 seconds and then the camera boots "normally" (red->yellow), cannot record or change mode.
The 2seconds or rapid flashing is same behaviour as on previous firmware updates, never seen the camera flash for 8 seconds. And my V1 is out of action and cannot remember how it acted.
Tried waiting couple minutes, but the yellow stays on. Keeping powerbutton pressed shuts the camera down, but If I touch the power button after that, camera tries the firmware update again.

When trying to reupload the bootloader the yellow flashes two or three times very rapidly, nothing for a half a second and then red seems to be constantly on for around 2 seconds and then nothing, the camera is off.

Tried with different computers, linux and windows. Cables are good as they have no problems with my portable drive. Neither of these computers had problems with old bootloader and 0.38.
Linux kernel messages dont even see a USB connect/disconnect.

Battery is full, measured around 4.10V when I had it disconnected. I still find it strange that it wont flash the yellow when no card is inserted.
The older firmware were lying on my drive and have been in the camera so they should have been good. For 0.49 I downloaded each one from the first page for different computers.

I can upload videos of the upload process if you want.
Neverth is offline Find More Posts by Neverth
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Jul 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
V1 is 100% compatible with all firmware versions and always will be! or vice versa!
The only difference with V1 models is you will not have video-out.
Thanks
I installed the firmware and the camera incorrectly.
The yellow LED lights up and when I press the shutter button the yellow LED blinks three times and turns off, and then I press the power button and hold it pressed about 10 seconds until the camera turns off.
Sometimes after pressing the shutter button, the yellow LED turns off and another squeeze causes it to come on again and so on, when I connect the camera to a computer, no video or pictures.
eitan is offline Find More Posts by eitan
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:14 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimjan View Post
For some reason i cant cut the avi file with vlc.
Normally i record the interesting parts with vlc record button but for some reason i only get wav(audio) files. Does anyone know how to fix it. Before .49update i could easily record video+audio from the original mov file.

thanks
I don't understand what you are doing with VLC, but it sounds like maybe you had the MOV format FW installed previously? The AVI files that this camera produces are NON_STANDARD, and they can't be cut for editing without crashing the video output.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 04, 2012 at 04:26 PM.