HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:09 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Here's the settings that were used for that flight..
I've had the flight-ground exposure situation sometimes fix itself, with the other V2 camera... which is currently lacking the imager due to something squirelly causing it to go unfocused, and then no useable image at all.
OK, you are using the auto-white balance setting. Give the fluorescent white balance setting a try. Many posted their other settings with it to compensate for the different hue it gives. It solves the color shift caused by the auto white balance setting.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:30 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The #16 hardware does not have the higher frame rate capability. But other more capable key chain-style cameras MAY appear in the not too distant future that can do these things!
Yeah, these have come a long, long way. Remember the Jazz HD cameras from a few years back? I still have mine. Don't ask me the last time I used it though...cause I don't remember. One day that GoPro quality, 60fps, key chain cam will be a reality..all for $50 bucks.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:43 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
I think you miss the point that the gloves will produce more static than bare hands but obviously the best approach is to ground both yourself and the job at all times. Don't use gloves, you will make it worse than bare hands that have at least been grounded before working.
Add one of these - $1

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=60491126363
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:05 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Make sure you have the latest FW on the camera (see post #3 for everything FW related you need to know. The most recent FW has new memory card communication code that so far, has solved the issues with the higher-speed class memory cards. At least, no one reported to the contrary here, and several have confirmed their prior problem cards now work OK.
Thanks for your help Tom

Doug
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:07 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
After installing 0.49fw i needed to re-format the card using in-cam procedure.

Before the format cam would over-write the files, so only last clip was saved on card.

After formatting, problem gone.

Firmware 0.49
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:23 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
763 Posts
Quote:
Lemme run down to the store and get the $699.00 accessory for the $40 camera.
I was using the term "PhotoShop" in a generic sense.

There is loads of freeware with which you can achieve the same effects.

Gimp for example....

VideoKing is online now Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:25 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
After installing 0.49fw i needed to re-format the card using in-cam procedure.

Before the format cam would over-write the files, so only last clip was saved on card.

After formatting, problem gone.

Firmware 0.49
In camera formatting would not change that file saving scenario, but installing the new FW could IF you had Loop Recording toggled on with your prior FW and a lower capacity card with long recording time (e.g. a 4GB card and 70 min. recordings). When turned on, loop recording will delete the oldest video when a card is almost full to make room for the new video. A 70 min. video will come very close to filling a 4GB card, so when a new clip is started with only one 70 min. file on the card, the entire old video on the card would be deleted. When new FW is installed, all the settings are at their default values, and Loop Recording defaults to OFF. So if you had it turned on (accidentally?), the new FW would turn it off.

If this doesn't describe your observations, I don't know what would.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 04, 2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: clarified wording
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Hello Tom Frank. I want to congratulate and thank you (and the others) who have contributed so much to the advancement of this camera. You have spent considerable time and effort on this camera.
I am wondering if there has there been any discussion with the developer about a more powerful lens? Something that can see far objects better. I am guessing that the current lens are in the 1.5 - 2mm range. I am hoping for something in the 4 - 6mm range.
Keeping with the topic of this forum, think of high altitude reconnisance flights. Envision a U2 plane flying over Cuba in the early 1960s or a Preditor drone over Afganistan.
I have modified the current setup to use a m12 x 0.5 style 8mm lens. But it adds bulk and weight to the camera.
Any thoughts? Thank you.
HTTom is offline Find More Posts by HTTom
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:42 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
I was using the term "PhotoShop" in a generic sense.

There is loads of freeware with which you can achieve the same effects.

Gimp for example....

Isn't GIMP just a still image editor (i.e. does not work with video files?)? AviDemux (freeware link in post #3) will import the camera native .MOV files and allow all kinds of exposure and color changes. If only a portion of the video has color needing adjustment, you need to create a break at the beginning and end of the section to be changed (two mouse clicks) before applying the changes to just that section. The config tool for the changes shows a preview "before" and "after" split screen window, and a drag bar enables a quick look at all the frames in your selection before finalizing the changes. AviDemux is a free great editing tool for things like this.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:16 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTom View Post
Hello Tom Frank. I want to congratulate and thank you (and the others) who have contributed so much to the advancement of this camera. You have spent considerable time and effort on this camera.
I am wondering if there has there been any discussion with the developer about a more powerful lens? Something that can see far objects better. I am guessing that the current lens are in the 1.5 - 2mm range. I am hoping for something in the 4 - 6mm range.
Keeping with the topic of this forum, think of high altitude reconnisance flights. Envision a U2 plane flying over Cuba in the early 1960s or a Preditor drone over Afganistan.
I have modified the current setup to use a m12 x 0.5 style 8mm lens. But it adds bulk and weight to the camera.
Any thoughts? Thank you.
There has been several posts inquiring about a longer focal length (e.g. "telephoto") lens, but I don't know if the developer has tried to find an acceptable one.

My short comment is I don't think it's practical to do the kind of AV you refer to with such inexpensive hardware. Have you produced acceptable videos with the longer focal length lens? If so, please post a sample for us!

My longer reply is based on my use of telephoto lenses on a still photo camera. If you've done it, you know that it amplifies the slightest movement of the camera, and movement is alread pretty excessive with the existing lenses. For AV use, or any other use where the camera is not fixed, it would take a VERY stable platform coupled with active image stabilization in the camera to make a native video that would be "watchable". Some platform stabilization is possible using a dual servo gimbal mount coupled with gyro/accelerometer sensors, and this hardware is commercially available for use in small RC aircraft (my multi-rotor X-copter flight controller [about $70] has this capability). But the #16 has no image stabilization capability in it's current form, so post-editing would also be necessary to reduce the motion, and that also has some undesirable side-effects, like clipping and/or zooming and/or smearing of the video at the edges. That's a lot of trouble and expense to do this with a $40 camera to get very mediocre results. The camera really needs a larger/higher resolution CMOS module and lens, and most likely a more capable DSP chip that can do good image stabilization to get acceptable results.

But, maybe my expectations of what is "acceptable" are too demanding?.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:58 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,509 Posts
Quote:
Isn't GIMP just a still image editor (i.e. does not work with video files?)? AviDemux (freeware link in post #3) will import the camera native .MOV files and allow all kinds of exposure and color changes.
Yes, GIMP is for static images/photos. I have used GIMP for several years, never found it to do any video editing. Though it is a very nice substitue for PhotoShop, which I have also.

SourceForge is full of questionable programming goodness.

Search results for 'video' below. Users just need to determine is program is still under development and supported for their platform.

http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:...dated/?q=video
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintail1 View Post
See screen shot
I'm surprised no one has answered you yet

Yes, your camera is already running the latest bootloader. The GUI will prevent you from installing it a second time. If you were to select the bootloader, the program will tell you that is is already loaded and the "Install" button will become disabled. Unlike the firmware, there will never be a need to re-install the bootloader. Generally speaking, the bootloader should only be upgraded, never downgraded.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:43 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,416 Posts
Quote:
OK, you are using the auto-white balance setting. Give the fluorescent white balance setting a try. Many posted their other settings with it to compensate for the different hue it gives. It solves the color shift caused by the auto white balance setting.
My #16 V2 with the B lens shows no significant exposure changes during those manuvers.
.And now to the delightful task of returning to Standard time on ALL those cameras.... Sob!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:52 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,622 Posts
Quote:
My #16 V2 with the B lens shows no significant exposure changes during those manuvers.
Yes, the lens makes a big difference because the color shift with auto-white balance ON is caused by getting too much of a single color in the frame for too long. And the recovery also depends on the same.

If you have not yet tried the fluorescent white balance, why not?! You've nothing to lose, and you may find it solves the color shift issue (like it has for every one else that's tried it based on user posts here).