SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:03 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
the 1g cards i got for 50 cents fill up VERY fast.

but youre right, many interesting videos have been posted showing what happened when the plane was "found". i specially liked the one where they denied having it until he threatened to call the cops. and the other one where the guy showed the video and politely requiested a "search and siezure" in their garage. lol!

however in my case after losing a few lipos to self discharge and inconvevient to delete files id rather have the camera shut down. ymmv.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:14 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
if your plane is not recoverable right away for whatever reason then its better to not run the camera battery down or fill the card for no reason.
Camera is powered through the usb at 5v from a sbec (switching bec) and that is powered from a 4000mah battery.
Card will fill up (4 gig) before battery would go dead.
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:54 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Regarding motion detect, I prefer sensitivity.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:09 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
As far as the motion detection,it's a nice feature for certain things but really is not of any use for me as far as aerial videography goes,unless i'm missing something?
This camera is pretty darn good as it is right now.
Guess maybe the steps between the exposure and other adjustments being closer would be nice (think i remember reading this may be being worked on).

Sorry,can't come up with any other complaints.
You're not missing anything, and I fully agree with your comments as regard AV use for this camera and it's current functions. I do think some tweaks will be made to the color functions once the addition of new functions comes to an end.

I believe the point of diminishing return on new camera functions passed some time ago for this hobby segment, and the efforts of the developer to implement so many toggles, and the increasingly time consuming required by Isoprop to keep his GUI functional for new and past FW versions and yours truly in testing new functions and maintaining this thread has turned into a lot more effort than any of us expected at the beginning. For AV purposes, I'd much rather see this camera version frozen, and any further development directed into the next camera generation, with hopefully improvements like 720p at 60 fps and better CMOS/lens, both of which will probably require a slightly larger case and battery. If it could be kept to 40 gms. or less, it could still be flown on most any "normal" park flyer-sized aircraft other than the micros.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:07 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,458 Posts
I just received my #16 camera today. Now to go back and reread the beginning posts for upgrades, settings, etc...and work on jello-free mounting...
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,924 Posts
Quick rundown

Make sure you charge it up,green led lights while charging,goes out when charged.
Be sure to do the in camera card formatting.
Download the GUI.
Run the program,plug in the cam to the pc usb,you will see the drive pop up in the top window of the GUI,this will also show which fw is loaded in the cam.
Click on that line of info and now you can make adj to the camera.
When done click exit.
The GUI will disconnect,red light will be on solid on the cam,unplug from usb and red led light goes off.
Now next time you power up the cam the new settings will be set!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
For AV purposes, I'd much rather see this camera version frozen, and any further development directed into the next camera generation, with hopefully improvements like 720p at 60 fps and better CMOS/lens, both of which will probably require a slightly larger case and battery. If it could be kept to 40 gms. or less, it could still be flown on most any "normal" park flyer-sized aircraft other than the micros.
Agree.
Keep the #16 as is,works great and still can fly on the micro planes and deliver quality video.

Seems about time a new camera,bigger,better,faster.

60fps (or better) larger CMOS, that would be nice.

And....
Ability to record composite video in so camera can be used on ground to record fpv video.
That way the pilot can record the actual video link,static when the signal drops,also have a recording of the flight and if the plane went down out of sight.
The video recorded on the ground can be viewed to help locate the lost plane.

Which could be done with the optional mini lcd screen that plugs into the usb and allows you to watch the video you just recorded.

So...not only will a pilot buy a camera to stick on the plane,they will also buy a second camera to record on the ground and a mini lcd screen.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:32 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Regarding motion detect, I prefer sensitivity.
Yes, that is a common want. But what is your opinion on that mode only having a brief, say 5 sec. delay when power on into motion detect mode, to give you time to set the camera down and aim it before the motion detection would engage to start a video. The purpose is to avoid an unnecessary wasted video clip (losing a little battery power and video card space) every time you start up video detect mode.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:14 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redruth
Joined Nov 2006
109 Posts
I have just bought a #16 camera but have noticed that the picture goes light to dark etc in very noticeable steps instead of smoothly, please see the video here >>

Illogan with new HD keyring camera (2 min 0 sec)

you can see the effect at about 2 seconds in to the video and again at 0:13

What causes this and how can it be reduced please?

Thanks for any replies.
rcflyers is offline Find More Posts by rcflyers
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
67 Posts
I've been getting clock noise on my #16 using the latest firmware. I know that some others have had this problem too. Is this a known issue?
micros is offline Find More Posts by micros
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:51 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,918 Posts
Quote:
I believe the point of diminishing return on new camera functions passed some time ago for this hobby segment, and the efforts of the developer to implement so many toggles, and the increasingly time consuming required by Isoprop to keep his GUI functional for new and past FW versions and yours truly in testing new functions and maintaining this thread has turned into a lot more effort than any of us expected at the beginning. For AV purposes, I'd much rather see this camera version frozen, and any further development directed into the next camera generation
I tend to agree. Also, whilst I appreciate the enormous amount of work that Isoprop and you have put into the GUI, one of the attractions of this camera to us non-Windows folk is that it can be updated and configured by any machine that can write to an SD card. This 'open' feature is one that I hope will be retained in any future camera.
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:25 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that is a common want. But what is your opinion on that mode only having a brief, say 5 sec. delay when power on into motion detect mode, to give you time to set the camera down and aim it before the motion detection would engage to start a video. The purpose is to avoid an unnecessary wasted video clip (losing a little battery power and video card space) every time you start up video detect mode.
OK, but you also must think at this:
- you already press for about 3 sec. to start the camera. Plus 5 sec. there are 8 sec. You read here that some people are not so happy about the long press for Power On (at least in the first days).
- if the motion detect will start immediately after the power on, will be not wasted a clip, but few seconds from the beginning of the clip. Also I don't know if the user have the time to put the camera in the desired place in just 5 seconds. For a user which know how to edit a video is not a big deal to cut few seconds from the start but for people which upload the whole video can be some images in the uploaded movie which they doesn't want to appear.
- the "finger trick": for lens A and B the user can start the camera with the finger covering the lens. Maybe with D he can put the whole hand in the front of the lens without touching it.
- maybe the 5 sec.delay is good for manual start the video during that time, but he also can use the "finger trick". I said manual start because from my test when the manual start is used, even the camera have the Motion Detect mode enabled, the recording will not stop when no detection. This is a very good feature! For me this is the best reason to have that 5 seconds delay because I can use the camera (at least for the first recording) normally. Even if with the actual settings and MD enabled I can start the video before the camera feels the motion, maybe because also now there is some delay for about 2-3 seconds.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:14 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyers View Post
I have just bought a #16 camera but have noticed that the picture goes light to dark etc in very noticeable steps instead of smoothly, please see the video here >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ntkShPAEQE

you can see the effect at about 2 seconds in to the video and again at 0:13

What causes this and how can it be reduced please?

Thanks for any replies.
That's just the auto exposure working in the camera.
Get used to it, don't forget this is a 25 HD camera, you have to expect some compromises.

You can fix the exposure changes in post editing if you really need to but I only reserve that for amazing videos, of which I don't take many.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:14 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Hi Tom and all, I do have a #16 thats great! My question for all, is there a 60 to100 fps firm ware, or is there a hat cam that uses 60 to 100 fps? Reason is for high speed planes, F3S speed planes that go up to 260 mph on a prop.
thanks
I'm Tom too!
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:16 AM
United Kingdom, England, Norfk
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
just got it

Hi, just got my v2 808#16 in the post today ( I have two v1 already ), it took 26 day to get to the Uk, I have updated the software to the latest one, & I think I have updated the boot loader to v3, is there any I can check this.
many thanks.

pintail.
pintail1 is online now Find More Posts by pintail1