HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post

There are two ways to address this:

1. Provide a more sensitive motion threshhold and just live with the possibility the first clip is wasted.

2. Provide a brief time delay (e.g. several seconds) AFTER the camera powers up with Motion detection toggle ON, to allow the user to place the camera in it's desired rest position before the motion detection action activates.

Option 2 seems a good choice to me, with a delay of maybe 5 secs. built in before motion activation starts. What do others who will actually use the function think?
I will definitely vote for #1. I would much rather edit a clip to take myself out than have to wait 5+ seconds EVERY time I turned on the camera. That would quickly get annoying to me.
Lothar286a is offline Find More Posts by Lothar286a
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:56 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Now here is where some user feedback is desired. I previously mentioned this function is being reviewed, and changes may (no promises) be possible. So.... since powering on the camera with Motion Detect Mode toggled ON puts the camera immediately into motion detect mode, if the sensitivity of the motion detection were lower than it now is, just the motion of the camera when the user presses the power button could start a video before the camera is placed in it's desired location. So you could end up with the first video clip showing nothing of interest (i.e. you pressing the button and placing the camera in it's desired spot). This is not a catastrophe, but just wastes camera battery power and memory chip space.

There are two ways to address this:

1. Provide a more sensitive motion threshhold and just live with the possibility the first clip is wasted.

2. Provide a brief time delay (e.g. several seconds) AFTER the camera powers up with Motion detection toggle ON, to allow the user to place the camera in it's desired rest position before the motion detection action activates.

Option 2 seems a good choice to me, with a delay of maybe 5 secs. built in before motion activation starts. What do others who will actually use the function think?
Wouldn't it be better to combine the 2 options if possible? I agree with you that a delay in the motion sensing would be a good thing but in doing that it would mean that being more sensitive wouldn't be a problem on start up.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Ability to start recording in certain time, say you want to star recording exactly in 18:01, and stop recording 18:12. I'm sure this would be fairly simple to implement just through firmware update.
privatecar is offline Find More Posts by privatecar
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:59 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar286a View Post
I will definitely vote for #1. I would much rather edit a clip to take myself out than have to wait 5+ seconds EVERY time I turned on the camera. That would quickly get annoying to me.
But if you want to record something immediately wouldn't you just hit record manually.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:59 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar286a View Post
It wouldn't have the delay EVERY time, unless you ONLY use the camera for motion detection?

To make sure I explained clearly enough, that delay would ONLY be present if you have the camera set to go into motion detect mode every time you turned it on. Any other mode would not have the delay. Seems like it takes me that long after I push the button to place the camera on a table and get it pointed at what I want to be captured when using motion detection. And once it's in place, I have nothing to do but wait anyway
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Thanks for the response to the video guys. I am not referring to use a boot loader? I showed from a few members stand points. one a few days ago, not wanting to get a micro sd card adapter. And the other a battery that may be somewhat in the low side?

I can do a boot loader video if you like, other than that it was more an answer to the few that just had these issues? Not getting the firmware up on it? So yet it may help one thanks again
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Wouldn't it be better to combine the 2 options if possible? I agree with you that a delay in the motion sensing would be a good thing but in doing that it would mean that being more sensitive wouldn't be a problem on start up.
Yes, that's what option 2 is all about. It seems most want more sensitivity, so I was giving the pros and cons of doing it, with option 2 being a workaround to eliminate the con of option 1. The main question was how long of a delay is "enough" without becoming "too much".

FWIW, I have a #18 camera and it's motion detection starts even from very minor tilting of the camera when I hold it against a table when pressing the power button. I get wasted video EVERY time I use that function, and that becomes a nuisance as well. A 5 second delay would (barely) give me a chance to turn it on, place it where I want it, then walk away out of the scene before it starts it's motion detection.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 02, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
But if you want to record something immediately wouldn't you just hit record manually.
I guess that might be an option if the button press over-rides the motion detection, but I don't know if that is possible because the motion detection does the same thing as a button press. If motion is locked out during the delay, so might be the shutter button press. In any event, the camera is still locked in motion detect mode, so it will stop recording when the motion stops and the motion detect time period times out. May or may not be an issue, depending on how the camera is used.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 02, 2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added info on the delay
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that's what option 2 is all about. It seems most want more sensitivity, so I was giving the pros and cons of doing it, with option 2 being a workaround to eliminate the con of option 1.

FWIW, I have a #18 camera and it's motion detection starts even from very minor tilting of the camera when I hold it against a table when pressing the power button. I get wasted video EVERY time I use that function, and that becomes a nuisance as well.
In that case then definitely option 2, thanks
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:45 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,872 Posts
Replace lens and cmos module

Just wanted to thank Fishycomics for the helpful video on changing out the lens/module.
I followed along with the video while changing the lens,very simple to do.

If your unsure about changing the lens just watch this video and you'll see it's very easy.

Keycam 808 lens image replacement (6 min 35 sec)

Thanks Fishy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the motion detection,it's a nice feature for certain things but really is not of any use for me as far as aerial videography goes,unless i'm missing something?

The video motion having a delay at the initial start up to do away with the fingers in the first clip would be a nice extra but it's really not a big deal (for me) to just delete the first clip or two that was recorded while setting up the camera.

This camera is pretty darn good as it is right now.
Guess maybe the steps between the exposure and other adjustments being closer would be nice (think i remember reading this may be being worked on).

Sorry,can't come up with any other complaints.
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
[...
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:28 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Just playing with the #16D and #16 cameras

I have upgraded to the latest firmware. I did not edit jello, shake or color.

I mounted the #16 on the top of my transmitter and shot the second half of the video while flying the plane.

More testing with the 808 #16 and #16D HD video cameras (4 min 23 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Nov 02, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:36 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
As far as the motion detection,it's a nice feature for certain things but really is not of any use for me as far as aerial videography
if your plane is not recoverable right away for whatever reason then its better to not run the camera battery down or fill the card for no reason.

btw i vote for option 2: motion sense 5 sec delay. unfortunately atm features like motion sense, time lapse, etc are unavailable to me due to the power button delay. what would be really great is take the delay off the power button and put it on the motion sense instead. then life, at least for me, would be peachy.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
The Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
...I believe therau2000's java tool will do the same for Linux or Mac users.
Even better: detailed instructions all the way through and for all Windows Users as well, and in 15 languages (soon 16).
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
[quote
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:06 PM.