HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:55 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The HK camera is not made by the same developer as the #11 & #16, so there is no direct correlation between circuit board components. The #11 & #16 have a 7mm lens thread, and I'm 99% sure the older SD resolution 808 cameras have a 6mm lens thread, so I'm skeptical that the HK lens will fit the #11 & #16 if you've confirmed it fits the older SD 808s. Let us know what you find out. If it does fit (without wobbling in the base), I'll be interested to see some video examples. I took some more sample clips in brighter light side-by-side with the #16 and #11 Jumbo with the 120 deg. lens to show the difference. I will post a composite side-by-side video when I get back from vacation.
The HK Wing lens barrel is also 7mm. Question remains if the image will fit the #11/#16 cmos chip
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:02 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPN View Post
I have some 1600 mAh - 2200 mAh single cell 3.7V Lipos that I have used with my #11 cameras, after adding a JST connector that I let hang out the rear of the camera like a "rat tail". I had the connector soldered to the same connections on the circuit board as the internal battery, so the external battery and the internal battery were parallel. I could get 5 hours of video with a 16 GB SD card. Not necessary on my planes but I also go on long bicycle rides and always record my rides, so I want a lightweight, helmet mountable external battery...

I am planning on building a "Y" connector for the #16 that would allow me to have the internal battery connected plus have the other leg of the "Y" hanging out the rear of the camera a la "rat tail" into which I would plug my external Lipos. I use a dedicated Lipo charger to charge the external batteries. I never have an external Lipo connected to the camera when using the USB charger with the camera.

I will leave the charge protection circuit on the internal battery, but my external batteries have no circuitry as they are charged by a Lipo charger. I assumed that a freshly charged external Lipo would charge and equalize the internal battery if it wasn't fully charged. Is that correct? Since it is no more than 4.2 V there's no way for it to overcharge the internal battery, correct?

Is there any danger of doing this? I would prefer NOT to use the USB port to connect an external battery pack, since that is looking for 5V and my charged Lipos are no more than 4.2V max. Plus, the USB plugs are bulky and heavy as well...

What am I missing? Thanks in advance...

DPN
Over all, you've got the best procedure if a 5V supply is not available, with one caveat... An external battery should not be connected in parallel with the internal battery unless they are at very close to the same voltage levels. The reason for this is the batteries will equalize their voltages, and if the internal battery is a lower voltage than the external battery, it will be charged with no current regulation like a dedicated lipo charger has. The #16 has limited it's max. current for charging to only about 140mA during the constant-current portion of the lipo charge cycle. You can easily exceed this when connecting the external battery, and the small protection circuit board on the internal lipo only limits voltage within a max/min range (assuming it functions like the ones on the earlier 808 cameras). There is no current regulation when you bypass the camera's internal charge management IC, which is only functional when charging through the USB plug. So the best procedure is to charge the camera battery first via it's USB plug, then connect a fully charged external pack.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 20, 2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: changed 140A to 140 mA :-/
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:09 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,340 Posts
A comparison of #11 and HK Wing
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:27 PM
DPN
Joined Jul 2004
309 Posts
Tom,

Thank you much!

I will use USB charging for the internal battery, and when it is fully charged THEN connect the fully charged external battery...

DPN

Quote:
Over all, you've got the best procedure if a 5V supply is not available, with one caveat... An external battery should not be connected in parallel with the internal battery unless they are at very close to the same voltage levels. The reason for this is the batteries will equalize their voltages, and if the internal battery is a lower voltage than the external battery, it will be charged with no current regulation like a dedicated lipo charger has. The #16 has limited it's max. current for charging to only about 140A during the constant-current portion of the lipo charge cycle. You can easily exceed this when connecting the external battery, and the small protection circuit board on the internal lipo only limits voltage within a max/min range (assuming it functions like the ones on the earlier 808 cameras). There is no current regulation when you bypass the camera's internal charge management IC, which is only functional when charging through the USB plug. So the best procedure is to charge the camera battery first via it's USB plug, then connect a fully charged external pack.
DPN is offline Find More Posts by DPN
Last edited by DPN; Dec 20, 2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarity
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:00 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcJosh View Post
I started a forum thread as a petition for Hobbie King to supply the lens 'a la carte'

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...=162299#162299

If you are interested in adding this to your #16 cam (the only one 'guaranteed' to have a removable lens at this stage)
then you can leave a "me too" under this thread.
Done!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
A comparison of #11 and HK Wing
Quote:
The HK Wing lens barrel is also 7mm. Question remains if the image will fit the #11/#16 cmos chip
The HK lens is spec'ed at 120 deg., as is the one I got from the #16 developer, which I measured to confirm it is 120 deg. nominal from corner to corner. Here are two frame grabs taken from the same spot at the same time to compare the AOV and focus differences between the #16 lens and the 120 deg. lens on a Jumbo #11:
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 20, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:32 PM
808 lover
Espaņa, CT, Barcelona
Joined Dec 2011
66 Posts
The #11 Jumbo looks more defined than the #16. :/
kasuno is offline Find More Posts by kasuno
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:34 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,340 Posts
Tom - Nice pictures!

Any chance that the developers could supply the lens or incorporated in a new cam? It could be a GoPro killer, the AOV of the GoPro is just too wide for me.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Tom - Nice pictures!

Any chance that the developers could supply the lens or incorporated in a new cam? It could be a GoPro killer, the AOV of the GoPro is just too wide for me.
I've requested a couple of times from the Ebay vendor who sent me the sample lens/camera for testing if they can source the lens for us. So far, I've gotten no definitive info. I can try going directly to the developer... seems there is interest in the lens. I plan to post a comparative side by side video when I get back home (I'm on vacation in Florida right now), but I may be able to D/L some avisynth scripts to combine the two videos into one from here. I'm enjoying the Seattle Summer weather right now!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuno View Post
The #11 Jumbo looks more defined than the #16. :/
You are not looking at the edges of the images, then.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:49 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
What size does this lens need to be. The guys at http://www.securitycamera2000.com/ are pretty good at locating things.

talk to SC2000 in this thread on rcgroups he is pretty good at finding the parts or find a source.
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:52 PM
808 lover
Espaņa, CT, Barcelona
Joined Dec 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
You are not looking at the edges of the images, then.
Yeah the edges look blurry but the center looks great and I love the fisheye effect.

By the way, do you think the #16 could record great video in a skii resort or would the video get overexposed because of the snow?
kasuno is offline Find More Posts by kasuno
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
The lens fits the HD 808

Quote:
The #11 & #16 have a 7mm lens thread, and I'm 99% sure the older SD resolution 808 cameras have a 6mm lens thread, so I'm skeptical that the HK lens will fit the #11 & #16 if you've confirmed it fits the older SD 808s. Let us know what you find out.
The lens threads fit perfectly.
What you are seeing in the pic below is the HK lens screwed onto my #11 cam module:

Quote:
If it does fit (without wobbling in the base), I'll be interested to see some video examples.
Nope, perfect fit

Quote:
Unfortunately the #11 module is not attached to any camera.
I do have a candidate cam to test with, but I'm not ready just yet to do the testing . .
So I do not as of yet know what the video will look like once focused. (sorry, and thank you for your patience)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
Done!
Thanks! there are 3 "me too's" so far!

Here is the link again:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...=162299#162299

Quote:
Quite a bit more tele than my 38mm #11
The original #11 lens pictured beside the camera should work for the #16 . . . right?
Fortunately I have a couple left over removable #11 lenses but not everyone has access.
For me, I'd rather have the wider #11 lens on the #16 cam to get some of the "best of both worlds"
Since the #16 cam is the only guaranteed removable lens, it would be Great if the company could offer some choices for his customers!
(Or someone else that would be willing to provide the options.)

We'll see if HobbieKing.com is able to help here.
It seems like there is a diverse audience here as far as lens preferences.

The "User replaceable lens option" I think would be a killer feature for any micro cam!

Lens Suppliers Wanted!!
rcJosh is offline Find More Posts by rcJosh
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:04 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2011
94 Posts
This is great info about #16 camera - "Multifunctioned, you can use it as a mini DVR, a camera, a webcam (with sound - new function!), a removable USB drive."
Azuritko is offline Find More Posts by Azuritko
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:05 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuno View Post
By the way, do you think the #16 could record great video in a skii resort or would the video get overexposed because of the snow?
For $1.11 you can get a polarizing jelly lens, cuts the light about 50% and reduces reflection from the snow. I posted a video on the old 808 thread

Here's the link, wow all those #3 videos look so fuzzy now!!
Last edited by victapilot; Dec 20, 2011 at 04:13 PM.