HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:16 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,474 Posts
I opened up a couple of mine and made the LED hole a bit wider, then forced a dab of ZAP Zap Goo through from the inside, and got a nice clear dome on the exterior.
Another camera with the Kodak lens glued on has the ZAP applied from the outside.
Didn't do it to all the cameras, some I don't want to advertise they're on.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:06 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,474 Posts
The field of view of the 808 #16 V2 with the D lens is 100 degrees. There is serious field curvature at each edge, which makes stitching images in a panoramic manner less than pleasing. Any tilt from the horizontal adds horizon curvature.
If there is a lens designed to give a 360 degree view, use that one.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
to panorama with the Lens D, you may need to take not just two shots, but more like 3 or 4, (I go for 5 stills) and defeats the purpose? It is not the best cam to do panorama with for no grid, or view finder, , it is not impossible, just very difficult, and time consuming.

I sue other applications for panorama (OT)
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
#16 Camera stopped recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL MICHAELS View Post
I need help with my almost new #16 Camera. Did work fine but now does not record at all. When turned on, have red LED that turns steady yellow and shutter button has no effect. Tried new TF card with no change. Does not connect to computer. Is it time to buy a new one or does someone know how to correct this problem?

Thanks, Paul
TOM FRANK/fishycomics - Thank you for responding - I tried all suggestions and installing firmware with no change. (I think I installed firmware FWMICDVR.bin correctly!) I put it on theTF card using the computer then put it in the camera and followed instruction manuel. I may be doing something wrong, or the camera is D.O.A.-Camera did not respond properly at all using instructions in manuel-just steady yellow light. I'm not exactly swift when it comes to doing things like this. ------
Thank you for trying to help me. ----------- Paul
PAUL MICHAELS is offline Find More Posts by PAUL MICHAELS
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:16 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,730 Posts
Quote:
TOM FRANK/fishycomics - Thank you for responding - I tried all suggestions and installing firmware with no change. (I think I installed firmware FWMICDVR.bin correctly!) I put it on theTF card using the computer then put it in the camera and followed instruction manuel. I may be doing something wrong, or the camera is D.O.A.-Camera did not respond properly at all using instructions in manuel-just steady yellow light. I'm not exactly swift when it comes to doing things like this. ------
Did you by any chance drop your camera before it stopped working? If the lens module ribbon cable is not firmly seated in the small cable socket on the circuit board, the camera will do strange things, and sometimes not work at all. See the manufacturer's instruction manual for photos on how to remove the lens ribbon cable (link in post #3). There's also a video showing this posted here recently by FishyComics. Use the thread search function to help find it.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:27 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimjan View Post
Does anyone have a source code of the firmware???

I want to change some setting which i cant do with the gui
If you are asking this question I assume you are a professional microprocessor engineer (or whatever those gurus are called these days) and have experience with NTK International's products, especially the Novatek processor used in the #16, and also have access to their SDK.

Without the proper tools and profound knowledge of the processor, and most probably of the OmniVision sensor used, there is virtually no chance to modify the code, even if you had it. It would also help to know the hardware design and the interrupts generated by the hardware.

If the source code were available, just think how many people would copy it and use it in their own cameras. The developer has spent many months developing the firmware with the goal of making a large community happy - and some pocket money, of course

The firmware source code is not available, but may I ask what setting you would like to change?
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:45 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,429 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like battery is not charged. Did you try all the steps that Tom suggested?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10418
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Sep 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimjan View Post
My camera is waaaaaaaaaaay less sensitive than yours, you have to jump in frony of the camera a couple of times before it even thinks to start recording and after 5 sec it does
I think the diference of sensivity of the MD is not relative to de camara sensor, all cameras should have the same i guess. I think it reacts to contrast. I tried myself in a low light room, it would take several seconds to start, but at daylight it was quicker. Thats whay i think the MD is a contrast thing. I maybe wrong, but shure is that the more light, the faster it turns on. Dont crucify me if you think im not right please
Vincevil is offline Find More Posts by Vincevil
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
I show how to up/downgrade. the cam with the usb cable.. Sorry if I said dead battery, meant to say with enough juice.

You do not need micro card adapter, you can load firmware via leaving usb cable in. but you should at all means follow posts #3 or #4

Keychain cam backdoor methods to load firmware without (2 min 57 sec)
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:23 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,730 Posts
Motion Detection Function User Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincevil View Post
I think the diference of sensivity of the MD is not relative to de camara sensor, all cameras should have the same i guess. I think it reacts to contrast. I tried myself in a low light room, it would take several seconds to start, but at daylight it was quicker. Thats whay i think the MD is a contrast thing. I maybe wrong, but shure is that the more light, the faster it turns on. Dont crucify me if you think im not right please
I don't know the exact method the camera uses to trigger the moton detection, but I can say with a high degree of certainty it occurs in the Novatek Graphics processor IC. They own a number of patents that include motion detection, and I think (a guess based on some brief web searching) they use a method which compares blocks of pixels in successive image frames. I can't say exactly how the motion detection of a pixel block is calculated, but I'm pretty sure there is more to it than just contrast. So, it would seem likely that the trigger point for starting a video could be based (and adjusted) not only on how the motion is calculated for a specific pixel block, but also on how many pixels blocks are used in the calculations and where they are located in the image frame. I reserve the right to be wrong on this guess, but for now let's assume the sensitivity could be changed.

I can say with certainty that when the function is turned on with this camera, pressing the Power button will put the camera immediately into the motion detect video mode, similar to the way the Auto-Record mode works, though the two functions conflict with each other and cannot be used at the same time. So, it's not necessary to press the Shutter Button to enter the motion detect mode, nor is it possible to have this functionality. The motion detection does the same thing as the shutter button (starts a video for the set timed duration). The normal shutter button can also be used to start a video in this mode, and when it times out, the camera will revert back to the motion detect mode.

Now here is where some user feedback is desired. I previously mentioned this function is being reviewed, and changes may (no promises) be possible. So.... since powering on the camera with Motion Detect Mode toggled ON puts the camera immediately into motion detect mode, if the sensitivity of the motion detection were lower than it now is, just the motion of the camera when the user presses the power button could start a video before the camera is placed in it's desired location. So you could end up with the first video clip showing nothing of interest (i.e. you pressing the button and placing the camera in it's desired spot). This is not a catastrophe, but just wastes camera battery power and memory chip space.

There are two ways to address this:

1. Provide a more sensitive motion threshhold and just live with the possibility the first clip is wasted.

2. Provide a brief time delay (e.g. several seconds) AFTER the camera powers up with Motion detection toggle ON, to allow the user to place the camera in it's desired rest position before the motion detection action activates.

Option 2 seems a good choice to me, with a delay of maybe 5 secs. built in before motion activation starts. What do others who will actually use the function think?
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Protection can easily be done not to lose your micro sd cards, buy a simple piece of electrical color tape, 3m product.
Protect your micro card from flinging out (0 min 24 sec)
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:34 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,474 Posts
Amplifying why the D lens is unsuiable for panorama stitching..
With the camera level, the field curvature at the edges creates a scalloped appearance at the stitch points.
Image 1.
A normal lens with no field curvature will permit stitching with the objects at each edge of each image being the same size.
Image 3.
Many point-n-shoot cameras nowadays have the pano option, which needs operator control to get the edges synchronized for the final image in the camera.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I show how to up/downgrade. the cam with the usb cable.. Sorry if I said dead battery, meant to say with enough juice.

You do not need micro card adapter, you can load firmware via leaving usb cable in. but you should at all means follow posts #3 or #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuYFP4bsps
It's important for users who may not know that, the method shown in the video only gives part of the story for firmware updating. It still works if users insist on not updating their cameras, but users can eliminate forever the need to manually erase the FW file from the memory card!

In short, a new boot loader file is available for download in Post #4. The boot loader code is separate from the FW, and it is the first code that executes when the camera is turned on. It looks to see if there is a new FW file (or new boot loader file!) on the memory card, and if so, it proceeds to load the file(s), then turns over control to the FW. The new boot loader has added code that will delete the FW (or boot loader) file from the card if it exists before turning control over to the FW, alleviating the need for the user to do that manually in order to use the card.

The bootloader file installs EXACTLY like the FW file, so if you have done the latter before, you already know how to do it. There's also instructions in the boot loader zip file. You do have to delete the new boot loader after that first installation, because it's still the old boot loader running at that point until you turn off the camera and re-start it. After that, deleting FW or boot loader files from the card is a thing of the past.

Do it!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:32 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Amplifying why the D lens is unsuiable for panorama stitching..
With the camera level, the field curvature at the edges creates a scalloped appearance at the stitch points.
Image 1.
A normal lens with no field curvature will permit stitching with the objects at each edge of each image being the same size.
Image 3.
Many point-n-shoot cameras nowadays have the pano option, which needs operator control to get the edges synchronized for the final image in the camera.
It would be interesting to see how shooting in time lapse photo mode as you slowly pan that 180 deg. would look when the hundreds of photos were stitched together.

I normally use a freeware program called Autostitch to handle this task. It will (reportedly) stitch as many photos as it can find that match the closests to the next one, and they don't even have to be in any order or have any sequential file names. It's a shareware version of the stitching engine used in more capable editing programs. Not perfect, but very good normally. Don't know if it's up to this task. Maybe when I have some spare time I'll give that a try.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
It's important for users who may not know that, the method shown in the video only gives part of the story for firmware updating. It still works if users insist on not updating their cameras, but users can eliminate forever the need to manually erase the FW file from the memory card!

In short, a new boot loader file is available for download in Post #4. The boot loader code is separate from the FW, and it is the first code that executes when the camera is turned on. It looks to see if there is a new FW file (or new boot loader file!) on the memory card, and if so, it proceeds to load the file(s), then turns over control to the FW. The new boot loader has added code that will delete the FW (or boot loader) file from the card if it exists before turning control over to the FW, alleviating the need for the user to do that manually in order to use the card.

The bootloader file installs EXACTLY like the FW file, so if you have done the latter before, you already know how to do it. There's also instructions in the boot loader zip file. You do have to delete the new boot loader after that first installation, because it's still the old boot loader running at that point until you turn off the camera and re-start it. After that, deleting FW or boot loader files from the card is a thing of the past.

Do it!
...And to add to Tom's previous post, it's much easier to use the GUI to do a firmware update. The program tells you exactly what to do - live! The GUI may show slightly deviating instructions depending on how old your current firmware and/or bootloader is, but it's far easier to do it this way if you are not used to updating firmware. The program will automatically download the firmware/bootloader for you, so you don't have to know anything about file names, downloading and root folders etc. You just have to do what the computer tells you.

I believe therau2000's java tool will do the same for Linux or Mac users.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop