HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
Thanx for the heads up. I'll use a diode, if required. Are you deleting the internal battery for operations? My understanding is 5v +/- 5% so 4.75 to 5.25. I have seen an FPVer using a #16 with 5v and no internal battery. Wouldn't this negate the USB charging circuit concern?
I'm keeping the camera battery installed at all times so that when I disconnect the Rx to USB cable frm the camera, the power to the camera is not interrupted. Keep in mind that I'm not doing FPV. My objective is extending the recording time by providing power from the big lipo in the aircraft to keep the camera battery charged.
leddhedd is offline Find More Posts by leddhedd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Are you testing the BEC voltage while exercising all your servos. If not, you should, since you need to know how that affects the voltage under FULL possible load. While you may not fly that way most of the time, you never know when you might for a brief period, and it only takes a short brownout of the RX (or camera with FPV) to be the kiss of death.
So, I checked for a voltage drop on my Radian with the camera on and recording when actuating both servos on high rate, and found no significant voltage. Drop. Still, that's only two small analog servos. I think it will be essential to check this with every BEC/Rx/servo/camera configuration before I fly it. Thanks again for the heads up!
leddhedd is offline Find More Posts by leddhedd
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Some opinions stated in posts here are just that... opinions, and problems are often based on user error, not firmware issues. If problems with FW are reported and can be replicated, they will be corrected by the developer. Unless a FW is posted as a beta release (looking for user testing and feedback), any known problems will have been fixed before being posted for download, or a note will be added to the download icon mentioning any bugs that may have been found and confirmed after the release until a new version fixing the bug can be released.

I know of no v0.49 FW issues that have been confirmed, so go ahead and install the latest. You can always go back to a prior FW version at any time.
Thanks Tom. I appreciate the reply and I'm making the move as we speak.
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined May 2012
11 Posts
Isoprop, can I suggest adding the GUI changelog to the ABOUT screen in the GUI?

I like reading them..... :B
Hadakajime is offline Find More Posts by Hadakajime
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:40 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,717 Posts
Quote:

I know of no v0.49 FW issues that have been confirmed, so go ahead and install the latest. You can always go back to a prior FW version at any time.
I can confirm that since I got my first corrupted video that after another 5+ hours of recording in ~15-20 minute lumps that I haven't seen it again. I guess it was a card seating/contacts issue and seems resolved after removing and reinserting the card.

Very happy with the v0.49FW.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadakajime View Post
Isoprop, can I suggest adding the GUI changelog to the ABOUT screen in the GUI?

I like reading them..... :B
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm afraid I won't be adding a changelog for various reasons.

1. I don't have the time to document everything I do.
2. The program already exists in many languages, and I can't expect someone else to translate the changelog as well.
3. Changelogs are not reliable. It is far too easy to forget essential points (+30 years experience speaking here). Then you get people screaming that the changelog isn't correct - no thanks, I've been thru all of that....
4. I do not support previous GUI versions, only the latest version must be used with the latest firmware. All previous firmware versions will always be supported by the latest GUI version.
5. I see no point. The interest is only historical.
6. Programmers hate writing changelogs . They much prefer dabbling with intricate code details in an attempt to write more efficient code.

In summary, this is a program that goes hand-in-hand with a hardware device and as such the two must be kept synchronized at all times.

Of course I understand that some people, like yourself, enjoy reading what has been changed. I'm sure that if I were retired and had nothing better to do I would add a changelog and maybe other bells and whistles. But I'm sorry, I just don't have that sort of free time.

Sorry to disappoint you
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:15 AM
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
Hey guys. First of all, thanks so much for keeping the community alive! I really appreciate what you're doing, even going so far as to collaborate with the manufactorer themselves. Definitely the winning formula for any consumer-producer relationship.

Second, I have a few questions regarding the motion activation. I haven't found these solutions in the FAQ yet, and nobody really have asked this yet (based on my thread search, at least), which is why I'm inquiring:

1. Do you need to turn on the camera first for it to detect motion? That is to say, put it on standby mode?
2. In standby mode, how much slower is the battery usage rate, if at all slower?
3. When it starts recording after it detects motion, does it show any indication? Like, how it normally flashes three times after you start recording normally?
4. Is the motion sensitivity any good? Like, how much of a kinetic stimuli would get the camera to start running? A whole hand to run across the screen? Motion-upon-the-camera only? Or is it sensitive to even something like trickling water in the background?

I know my questions are very cryptic and lacking in detail, especially that last one. Please forgive me for making things convoluted! All I need is some experimental results. You know, just some anecdotal evidence. Just tell me how much movement you guys needed to make to make it run and all. But that's because I'm still waiting for my new SD card to arrive through the mail and I've no means of testing the camera myself. I've used it once, but only with a spare SD card, which I gave to my brother because he needs it more at the moment.

Once again, thanks so much in advance.
nisbahmumtaz is offline Find More Posts by nisbahmumtaz
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:15 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Regarding motion detect I have a proposal for some user which have time and know what to do.

The motion detect stop now about 30 seconds even we have still some motion in front of it. I understand the sensitivity of the camera cannot be increased so it will remain fixed.
But we must think to improve this by increasing the no-motion value from 30 seconds to 45 seconds or more, up to 2 minutes, maybe (but with steps from 10 or 15 secs).

I think we can put the camera in front of a window which have some motion in front of it but not enough keep the recording ON so it will stop from time to time even if we don't want this. Analyzing the time stamp for the start and stop of recorded clips maybe it will give us some values for the no motion clip length duration.

The result I expect is some proposal for the developer to increase the duration of no-motion if this is helping us for better motion detect support. Of course too long duration is not good for card space and battery life.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Regarding motion detect I have a proposal for some user which have time and know what to do.

The motion detect stop now about 30 seconds even we have still some motion in front of it. I understand the sensitivity of the camera cannot be increased so it will remain fixed.
But we must think to improve this by increasing the no-motion value from 30 seconds to 45 seconds or more, up to 2 minutes, maybe (but with steps from 10 or 15 secs).

I think we can put the camera in front of a window which have some motion in front of it but not enough keep the recording ON so it will stop from time to time even if we don't want this. Analyzing the time stamp for the start and stop of recorded clips maybe it will give us some values for the no motion clip length duration.

The result I expect is some proposal for the developer to increase the duration of no-motion if this is helping us for better motion detect support. Of course too long duration is not good for card space and battery life.
My user error imputwhat opinions are about),:

We all purchase the camera, and the record time are up to 40 minutes. With optional accessories sold for the cam through the seller.
With the advance options of ac/dc adapter from seller, and supplied usb cable for added run time.

Yes I agree this will work, As long as we understand, external power and ac/dc extended power is used, other than that. You are going to have some mixed opinions.

FISHYCOMICS

I have mentioned this at the get go being a shorter interval, and the Developer has noted.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:54 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Get a new battery,better than a bad one causing a fire in the house,contact supplier (for new battery) ,you'll get it (battery) soon and be shooting video in no time.
Thank you. your translation gave me a clue to something thats been bothering me - which vs was he using, v.s. or vs. ? turns out its vs.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
The motion detect stop now about 30 seconds even we have still some motion in front of it.
Whoa, seriously?
So you're saying that if it records by means of motion activation, it only records for about 30 seconds?

Dang.
nisbahmumtaz is offline Find More Posts by nisbahmumtaz
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisbahmumtaz View Post
Whoa, seriously?
So you're saying that if it records by means of motion activation, it only records for about 30 seconds?

Dang.
No.

The Motion stop recording after 30 seconds of last motion
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
motion detection

It is a #16 it didnt supported when ik bouht it, after upgrade to .49 it does now.

Ive figured out that u need to keep it in stanby mode to activate motion detection but the detection capability is just with 1 word horrible, u need to move the entire camera to set if of and after 30sec or even less it stops recording even if there is PLENTY motion in front
pimjan is offline Find More Posts by pimjan
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
I am leaning to unstable Firmware. Never an issue with my Micro Sd card Patrott 8 gb.

With using certain settings, the camera will suffer , shown in earlier video, has not a thing to do with power.

The Sd card must be reformatted via in house. with usb to pc hold shutter, unplug cam, let go shutter cam formats. troubles gone..

Repeated this time after time. and confirm setting, and firmware 49 unstable. my opinion. not user error.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:43 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddhedd View Post
So, I checked for a voltage drop on my Radian with the camera on and recording when actuating both servos on high rate, and found no significant voltage. Drop. Still, that's only two small analog servos. I think it will be essential to check this with every BEC/Rx/servo/camera configuration before I fly it. Thanks again for the heads up!
If only two servos, there should be no problem with most 2A linear BECS on 3S lipo power. With 3 servos maybe borderline and should be checked, but I would use a separate UBEC on a 4 (or more) servo plane. And what you need to check for is overheating of the BEC voltage regulator, not the voltage drop. The BEC will keep output voltage constant until it's power consumption starts to overtax it's ability to dissipate the heat. It will shutdown when it's temperature gets too high, then no power to anything until the regulator chip cools and automatically resumes functioning. The thermal shutdown point is pretty hot, but I like to check just by putting my finger on the BEC side of the ESC. If it gets too hot to keep your finger on it continuously, it's a red flag alert for me that I probably should use a UBEC to be on the safe side.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM.