SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:09 PM
United Kingdom, England, Norfk
Joined Mar 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
If it helps anyone waiting for their keychain cam in the UK.

My latest order arrived today. (eBay sale date 10/10/12)

Simon
So still hope for mine to arrive then, fingers crossed.
pintail1 is offline Find More Posts by pintail1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn758 View Post
Are the #16 and #18 battery the same, I have the latter on order and am thinking of telling them to remove it as I can't afford to have it nabbed by the PO. I have some spare #16 batteries if they plug in okay.

thanks.
The #18 battery is a bit thicker and heavier than the #16. That's the reason for the longer recording time with the #18. The #18 battery won't fit into the #16 because the #18 case is also a bit thicker (and heavier). Good for some, bad for others

I don't have a #18, so my information is based on the last #11 before they changed the USB socket.

Well, someone has to finally do the measurements

The #16 camera case is 13.97mm (0.550") thick.
The #18 camera case is 15.29mm (0.602") thick.

The #16 battery is 4.06mm (0.160") thick.
The #18 battery is 5.40mm (0.2125") thick.

[EDIT] Both batteries are marked as 250mAh, so somebody's cheating. [/EDIT]
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Oct 25, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:43 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
i want to thank tom frank and isoprop for helping me choose the #16 and making it ridiculous easy to use. in addition to my original video out and 640 requirements i was please to hear about motion detect and time lapse features in the new firmware. i have another question:

aside from slightly longer time, new usb jack, and no txt files are there any other significant differences for #18? in particular are the sensor modules interchangeable?

i ask because my #16 d lens distortion and protrusion slightly annoying for some uses. since the b lens/module costs almost half that of a new camera i was thinking of getting the even cheaper #18 and swapping the lens or module. are the lenses interchangeable? are the modules?
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:47 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
The #18 battery is a bit thicker and heavier than the #16. That's the reason for the longer recording time with the #18. The #18 battery won't fit into the #16 because the #18 case is also a bit thicker (and heavier). Good for some, bad for others

I don't have a #18, so my information is based on the last #11 before they changed the USB socket.

My #16 has a 402030 battery in it, same as in #3's that I have. The 402030 was listed at one time as 180mah.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
I'm trying to order an B lens assembly via ebay. without success. Do I something wrong? As far as I know eletoponline365 sells A-B and D lens.
Please help
heribert
heribert808 is offline Find More Posts by heribert808
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Feb 2011
37 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, the #18 I ordered has the extended lens ribbon so it doesn't have a case at all.
stvn758 is offline Find More Posts by stvn758
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
All the same except the thickness, my winter battery.

fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
i want to thank tom frank and isoprop for helping me choose the #16 and making it ridiculous easy to use. in addition to my original video out and 640 requirements i was please to hear about motion detect and time lapse features in the new firmware. i have another question:

aside from slightly longer time, new usb jack, and no txt files are there any other significant differences for #18? in particular are the sensor modules interchangeable?

i ask because my #16 d lens distortion and protrusion slightly annoying for some uses. since the b lens/module costs almost half that of a new camera i was thinking of getting the even cheaper #18 and swapping the lens or module. are the lenses interchangeable? are the modules?
The lens is the most important part of any camera, so obviously it will be the most expensive spare part. However, I don't know where you get your prices from. I believe a spare, standard, lens costs about $10.

Physically, the lens modules are interchangeable but I haven't gone any further. I would expect them to work but I can well imagine there may be firmware tweaks for different sensors. I do know that the #16 developer only sells the best quality lenses that will fit into the camera. He is always researching. I don't know if this is true for the #18 developer.

I don't know what you use your cameras for, but I would think having two completely different systems is more annoying than having a protruding lens! I don't think it's worth it for the couple of $ you save. With the #18 you will also lose the plug-and-play functionality which you like so much

Unless you just want to experiment, I don't think it's worth doing a downgrade. Having a spare lens on hand is always a good idea.

You have named the most important differences. There are a lot of extra parameter settings available in the #16 and the video-out on the #18 is cluttered with unnecessary icons. For me, the special, non-standard cables of the #18 are the biggest blunder. Fancy having to use a different cable for USB and using external power supply! Totally illogical. And if you want video-out you have to short two wires together....
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:57 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
I don't know where you get your prices from. I believe a spare, standard, lens costs about $10.
do you have a link? the cheapest i found on eaby were $15-$20 shipped. #18 less than $30 shipped. we are talking about the sensor/lens assembly right? i know we had some confusion over that before. i would rather just buy the lens alone if possible

originally it was planned for long distance uav flight verification. after playing with it im amazed at the quality but now features like time lapse, looping, and motion sense have opened up a whole new world of applications. if i can actually get a lens for $10 or less its probably better to follow your advice. if its even a couple bucks more (half of a #18) another camera seems smarter. #18 does have 640 and video out just not so easy to change in the field.

im glad i folllowed your suggestion and got the #16 first because i can create/edit txt with phone and palmtop but not load firmware. the #18 might be nice for for backup though. not quite ready to blow another $45 though but $30 maybe. if i can get even just the lens for $10 or less that would be best. link?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:19 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
785 Posts
Quote:
do you have a link? the cheapest i found on eaby were $15-$20 shipped. #18 less than $30 shipped. we are talking about the sensor/lens assembly right? i know we had some confusion over that before. i would rather just buy the lens alone if possible

originally it was planned for long distance uav flight verification. after playing with it im amazed at the quality but now features like time lapse, looping, and motion sense have opened up a whole new world of applications. if i can actually get a lens for $10 or less its probably better to follow your advice. if its even a couple bucks more (half of a #18) another camera seems smarter. #18 does have 640 and video out just not so easy to change in the field.

im glad i folllowed your suggestion and got the #16 first because i can create/edit txt with phone and palmtop but not load firmware. the #18 might be nice for for backup though. not quite ready to blow another $45 though but $30 maybe. if i can get even just the lens for $10 or less that would be best. link?
For new cmos sensor and lens's I just emailed the seller on Ebay with a list of what I wanted and he will send you back an email with a Paypal invoice link that you just click on and pay. It could not be simpler really.
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2010
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebutler View Post
hi guys, first want to thank isoprop for his emails in relation to the the original gum camera and his guidance on the new #16 camera, very much appreciated. I am the proud owner of 2 of the new cameras and want to start experimenting!
I've just bought a 2 channel remote TX/RX from maplin here is a link to the receiver spec http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/N87BN.pdf
I guess my question to you pros out there is whether you know if the power/shutter switches switch ground or vcc, and if so which side of the switches. I figured I could use a couple of transistors to do the switching. I have the equipment for the soldering but have limited/no test equipment to check myself so thought I'd ask the question.

thanks in advance,
Philip
I'm sure you can remote control the buttons if you want to, but why.
If its photos you want just leave the camera on minimum time lapse and select the images you want from the camera after you have done your flying. If its to turn on and off the video, why bother, just cut out the bits you don't want in the edit software afterwards. I find the best stills are taken out of a video anyway as you can always find one that nice and sharp, where as with time lapse you never know if its going to be a sharp or blurry image anyway until you look at the results.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
For new cmos sensor and lens's I just emailed the seller on Ebay with a list of what I wanted and he will send you back an email with a Paypal invoice link that you just click on and pay. It could not be simpler really.
eletoponline365 or some other? i will do that. isoprops comments about the usb cable and vid out icons have me less excited about #18 now. if i can get a lens for $10 then thats the plan. more and ill still consider a #18 or maybe try fitting some lenses from the 5-6 dead cheapo 808s i got.

are the a, b, and d thread compatible on the #16?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Dec 2010
785 Posts
Quote:
eletoponline365 or some other? i will do that. isoprops comments about the usb cable and vid out icons have me less excited about #18 now. if i can get a lens for $10 then thats the plan. more and ill still consider a #18 or maybe try fitting some lenses from the 5-6 dead cheapo 808s i got.

are the a, b, and d thread compatible on the #16?
Yes I used eletoponline365. As for the lens threads I'm not sure, I've only changed the complete sensor together with a supplied lens so I never just swapped the lens only.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:46 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
thanks. hes the one i emailed and my seller too. im hoping he will have them and charge less than the only other ebay hits who were usa based and very expensive.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:09 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
Thanks Mike, however both Isoprop and myself have already posted that link.
yeah
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee