HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
Bacon
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Mar 2011
180 Posts
I recently got one of these 808 #16 cams and have found that it seems to turn off after about 2 minutes or less of recording sometimes. Any ideas on how to address this issue?

Thanks!
super_dork is offline Find More Posts by super_dork
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:56 PM
Canada, MB, Woodlands
Joined Oct 2012
79 Posts
Replacement cam vignets..

I bought a 808 #16 key chain camera last April off eBay from digitalele889. The camera worked great until one day a couple of weeks ago when my quad left with the camera mounted and came back without it.

I ordered a new one with the B lens.. I should have read this forum first, because the b lens vignetting is horrible. The eBay listing for my last camera didn't say which lens it used. I guess back then they all used the same lens (the A lens I assume) See listing here -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/808-Car-Key-...EOIBSA:US:3160

I've included a frame grab from a flight I took this morning.. You can see the black area on the bottom right corner of the picture. It's unacceptable. My last camera didn't do this.

I spent over 1/2 an hour going over the thousands of posts in this thread.. Is it possible to just purchase an A lens and change it, or do I need to buy a whole new camera?
jwt873 is offline Find More Posts by jwt873
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:04 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt873 View Post

I spent over 1/2 an hour going over the thousands of posts in this thread.. Is it possible to just purchase an A lens and change it, or do I need to buy a whole new camera?
Yes, you can buy a new lens/CMOS module for about $10 from the eBay sellers. See the written developer's manual for picture images on how to swap it out, and do an advance thread search for a video by Fishycomics showing lens changing.

BUT, your image looks like the lens is not centered in the case hole, so the lower right corner has the case blocking a bit of the lens AOV.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
Canada, MB, Woodlands
Joined Oct 2012
79 Posts
Thanks Tom.. I'll check the sellers. And I'll take a peek at the alignment too.

Jim.
jwt873 is offline Find More Posts by jwt873
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Well, I have just tried firmware 0.46 AVI and there's something really bothering me.

When you press the power button quickly, the red light goes on and the camera then shuts off. You have to press the power button for 1-2 seconds for the camera to power on and enter auto record.

With 0.36, no matter how long you press the power button (quickly works), the red light goes on and the camera does not shut off, entering auto record.

Is this fixable or with the new options there's nothing that can be done?

I have reverted back to 0.36 for now.
SeCuRiT is offline Find More Posts by SeCuRiT
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:04 PM
Canada, ON, Kitchener
Joined Apr 2008
7 Posts
Quote:
You can see the black area on the bottom right corner of the picture. It's unacceptable.
Can you check if lens in centered? I got similar problem after crash when lens was misplaced.
Abval is offline Find More Posts by Abval
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeCuRiT View Post
Well, I have just tried firmware 0.46 AVI and there's something really bothering me.

When you press the power button quickly, the red light goes on and the camera then shuts off. You have to press the power button for 1-2 seconds for the camera to power on and enter auto record.

With 0.36, no matter how long you press the power button (quickly works), the red light goes on and the camera does not shut off, entering auto record.

Is this fixable or with the new options there's nothing that can be done?

I have reverted back to 0.36 for now.
I think you mean v0.49 FW, not 0.46, but the more options there are, the more time it takes for the camera to know which way it is heading when it boots up. Many, in fact, much prefer this longer button press because it prevents an inadvertent press (such as when in your pocket) from turning on the camera and shooting 40 minutes of the inside of your pocket!

It's only an extra second or so to turn it on... not a major delay, and I don't think it needs to be changed.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom.. I'll check the sellers. And I'll take a peek at the alignment too.

Jim.
To JW...

I found that in order to correct the issue at hand, is not the lens at all. It is the case. I used a drill bit, and I made sure it was the correct size for me? In the near future I will demo again as I have one already in hand to switch out.

When you enlarge the hole it allow the lens to see without grabbing the circular area overlapping,

When opened you may need to take away the white adhesive as it will cause alignment to be off.

A Simple mod it is. also while I was at it I gently scraped the mic and my sound is by far better. enjoy.

Lens A still can fit nicley in without issues when modifying.

centering the lens is not a knack, ittakes a few tries, to get it aligned, due to the slot housing.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I think you mean v0.49 FW, not 0.46, but the more options there are, the more time it takes for the camera to know which way it is heading when it boots up. Many, in fact, much prefer this longer button press because it prevents an inadvertent press (such as when in your pocket) from turning on the camera and shooting 40 minutes of the inside of your pocket!

It's only an extra second or so to turn it on... not a major delay, and I don't think it needs to be changed.
Yes, meant 0.49 (sorry for the typo).

What I don't understand is that the red light does turn on, but then turns off instead of leaving the camera on.

IMHO it's really useful because simply pressing the power button means you know the camera turns on (and starts recording with auto record) without needing to check the lights.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:17 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
I think most consider it a feature and not a bug. The led comes on as an indication that the button was pressed, it doesn't signal that the camera is on and ready. Just take the extra second and enjoy the relaxation
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:18 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,406 Posts
What lens do yall suggest for primarily doing hat cam r/c flying vids? Does anyone have a sample vid of some rc flying with the cam on their hat? I'm wondering if it zooms it out even worse to make it hard to see the plane.
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeCuRiT View Post
IMHO it's really useful because simply pressing the power button means you know the camera turns on (and starts recording with auto record) without needing to check the lights.
With the latest additions to the FW functions, this no longer is the case apparently. It takes an extra second for the camera to know it is in the auto-record mode. As was said, just press the button for 1 simple second longer, take a deep breath, and go on with life!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
What lens do yall suggest for primarily doing hat cam r/c flying vids? Does anyone have a sample vid of some rc flying with the cam on their hat? I'm wondering if it zooms it out even worse to make it hard to see the plane.
This thread is full of vids shot from the ground... take the time to search/scroll for them. The wide angle D lens will capture a wider FOV, but everything will be much smaller. The A lens is better for hat cam use in my view. Just remember to keep you head and hat pointed at the plane... don't let your eyes wander off to the side to follow the plane without moving your head to keep the plane in the FOV.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
With the latest additions to the FW functions, this no longer is the case apparently. It takes an extra second for the camera to know it is in the auto-record mode. As was said, just press the button for 1 simple second longer, take a deep breath, and go on with life!
Let's just hope it will get fixed.

For now, I'll stick with 0.36 as I don't need the new functions.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
A few more D lens tests, happy with the color (Fluorescent, Saturation+1, Contrast -1). Not so happy with ghosting in corners when objects just outside the frame. I'll probably crop it in edit.
Victapilot:

Early on we talked about the ghosting. Here are some shots taken today, if you see any ghosting, maybe the shots are helpful or not, You will ahve to examine and determin the lens is the cause and why I mention some option, within reason of course..

Fell free to descuss. There is a shot that I taken one after the other, due to the change of L.E.D of stills., it is difficult at first, but yet you get used to later. I have no problem snapping 1280x720 shots as they do not take much space up.

Any questions ask?

fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)