SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Jun 2011
11 Posts
what is the new power button operation in fw 0.49?
bunty is offline Find More Posts by bunty
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:08 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post
what is the new power button operation in fw 0.49?
The function is no different than before, but it just requires holding the button down slightly longer (about 2 sec. total, until the yellow LED comes on) before the camera will stay on.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:29 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunty View Post
question on motion detection. if a fully charged cam is used, how long will it last? 40 mins as before or longer? is it considered as ON and working even though it is not recording?
I haven't tested this, nor have I done or seen any posts on the current draw while idling (but not recording) in the motion detection mode. You can be sure the current draw is at least as much as when the camera is turned on and waiting for another button press in the standby mode, and it might be a little more since the video sensor array has to be active to detect the motion. I don't know if this is the case when the camera is in normal standby mode, but I do know with video out turned on, the camera's video imager is on and can output video to a monitor even though it's not recording. And when it is recording at the same time, the recording time drops by about 10 minutes (approx 25%) due to the extra power consumption of the video out function.

So the camera operating duration in motion detect mode will depend on how often it detects motion and starts recording. With constant motion, I'd think it should record for about the same duration as when in normal video recording mode (40 min. nominal). With intermittent motion, it could function longer, but the total recorded video duration from one internal battery charge will be less than 40 minutes because of the power consumption while it's idling and watching for motion.

Someone with more spare time than me can do the testing.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:43 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Cold weather is back and last cold season flying i had an insulated camera case made from foam to lengthen the operating time with the # 16 camera.
The idea worked well but it's a bit bulky.

Need a new method to allow the camera to operate in cold weather flying conditions.
Have searched this thread for external battery and came up with many returns on the subject directing users to powering the camera through the usb at 5v.

I'm comfortable soldering and would rather not use the usb socket to power the camera at 5v.
What i would like to do is solder in a second plug,tap off the internal battery wires and have a pigtail extending to the outside of the camera at the back.

When it's time to fly i'll be sure the internal battery has a full charge.
Then mount the camera on the plane and plug in a single lipo cell to the pigtail,after plugging in the external battery the camera would be powered on.
Make a 20 min flight,land,turn off camera,unplug external battery,remove camera from the plane and go home to watch the video.

Does anyone see any problems with powering the camera that way?
Sure, you can do this. The key is keeping the internal and external batteries at very close to the same voltage level as you described so minimize current surge into the camera internal battery. I think the internal battery's tiny protection circuit board has a max current trip that will disconnect the cell and not allow serious over-current to or from the battery (typical, but verified) as a backup. Some us the flight lipo balance plug to tap one cell to power the camera, but the camera has a current draw similar to one micro/mini servo, so some cell imbalance on the flight lipo can be expected after a flight. A separate single cell lipo dedicated to the camera is better, but might weigh more than something like a separate BEC off the flight lipo to output 5V to the USB plug, eliminating the lipo concerns.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
We know in order to get best results with Motion detection

Power off=[1];set system auto power off time when system pending,0 set to off.

If you are using the cam on any surface that will move , motion will activate.

If you are using the cam on a surface that is stationary, motion in front may not activate as fast.

Motion strength, and distance, is on fixed focus lens was not given, and be interesting to know?

Battery life will depend on the situation put into cold wx shorter, unless external power supply/source.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:39 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Not sure how you waterproof them but would a tic tacs containers do, the jumbo ones
Both cameras are fine, thanks! The boat had this PFD, which also offers some protection (slide the camera back in to protect the lens) and flotation. But with a recessed B lens camera, I needed to wrap in Saran. The D lens seems water resistant enough for minor dunking, if sealed around the edges and the camera is covered in poly.

I did open up both cameras because of the fogging inside the Saran, they were dry inside
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
We know in order to get best results with Motion detection

Power off=[1];set system auto power off time when system pending,0

This is not true. Don't do this.

If you use motion detect, you must ensure that Auto-shutoff and Time-lapse Photos is OFF. Tom has already posted the correct way to enable Motion detect, so why do you insist on giving people the wrong information.

If you use the GUI it will do this automatically for you.

Fishy, please stop posting totally incorrect information. This is not the first time you have done this..... and you promised the group you'll stop posting text messages....
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Motion detection setting showing what another cam does with the 808.

also to the developer a default of 30 is excellent, an option to hav 15 be as well great.

yeah look at hte led on the side

Key cam 808 #16 motion dection descussion firmware 49 (1 min 13 sec)

sys file is not wrong. or is it?

Power off=[1];set system auto power off time when system pending,0 : off,1:30] seconds,2:1 minutes,3:2 minutes,
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 14, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Tom/Everyone:

Do you think we could compile maybe a list of sample pictures along with what picture settings were used in the beginning of the thread. After being several FW versions behind i finally updated FW and installed the GUI today, and I know in the last bunch pages I have seen a lot of different settings and picture comparisons. I think it would be valuable to new users and old alike to have some information in #1-5 about what these settings actually do and look like.

Now to search through these last many pages and find a good setting for me
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:51 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
What Do Advanced Color Option Functions Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
Tom/Everyone:

Do you think we could compile maybe a list of sample pictures along with what picture settings were used in the beginning of the thread. After being several FW versions behind i finally updated FW and installed the GUI today, and I know in the last bunch pages I have seen a lot of different settings and picture comparisons. I think it would be valuable to new users and old alike to have some information in #1-5 about what these settings actually do and look like.

Now to search through these last many pages and find a good setting for me
The color settings are not finalized, so some of them will change. The Advanced Color Settings options was released to get user feedback. If there is any concensus about settings that can be improved, they will be. Until then, posting samples is premature except to show Function settings which might be improved. If users understand what each function does to an image, then it becomes much easier to just do some sample shots to determine which is perceived as better. This web page has some basic information on the main functions. Or better yet, download the free Avidemux editor and load in one your own videos. Then select the Video/Filters/Colors option and double click on the "Mplayer eq2" filter to make it active, then click the Preview button. Your video frame is now displayed, and you can used the continuously variable slider controls tochange the settings. The left hal of the image stays normal, while the right half shows the changes. These sliders can do WAY more change than the minimla tweaks in the camera, but this shows better how the function can affect the image. Play with it for a while, and then using the Advance Color Option settings should be much easier to understand.

Also, I hope everyone understands that their specific color interpretation of what is "best" may not appear in the final settings because everyone perceives color differently, and they may have to do additional post-processing to meet their approval. Also, there may be some interaction between the various color functions when they are set in different combinations. And there are thousands of combinations possible... too many to test or show sample images. The only practical images to show in an up-front page (or manual) will be to set every color function to it's default, then step each function separately through it's settings to show how that affects the image, and even that requires multiple cameras shooting the exact same scene at the same time with the same lighting, which by itself is impossible if I do it, since I only have 3 #16 cameras to work with and no jig for alignment.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added web links to function examples
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Motion detection setting showing what another cam does with the 808.

also to the developer a default of 30 is excellent, an option to hav 15 be as well great.

yeah look at hte led on the side

sys file is not wrong. or is it?

Power off=[1];set system auto power off time when system pending,0ff,1:30 seconds,2:1 minutes,3:2 minutes,
THINK......

The firmware tries to correct incorrect user settings, but you should all the same NOT enter values that are obviously wrong (as in Fishy's post).
The GUI will do the error checking for you, but if you do it by hand don't be surprised if the camera doesn't do what you want it to do. In the worst case it may even hang or produce corrupted files. Use a bit of common sense.

Anyone with a will realize that Fishy's setting will turn the camera off after 30 seconds of no motion detection. Most probably the firmware corrects this obvious blunder, but there's no guarantee.

THINK before posting something so obvious, or better still, do what you have promised many times and quit posting non-sense and incorrect text messages.
I, and others have told you this many time before and you promised to stop posting before you confuse even more people.

I hope newbies realize they should ignore ALL technical posts by Fishy. Most are incorrect and he posts for self-satisfaction, IMO.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Proof is in the pudding and demo if need be a demo can be presented but hex like said your option to choose a program or txt Do not force people your way or the highway isopropyl there was a feature you chosen not to ignore enjoy
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 14, 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: iph4
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
700 Posts
A quick video of flying into low clouds this morning with the #16 v2, looks worse than it was, I still had visual contact from the ground:

Sunday141012 (5 min 2 sec)
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I'm sure is you measure the voltage you'll find it to be about 4.8V (under load). Most common AAs today are 1.2V although I suppose the old 1.5V do still exist. It's been years since I've seen a 1.5V AA battery, but I don't go measuring the voltage all the time

I guess it's all about chemistry...
nimh rechargeables are def 1.2
but a new AA alkaline or lithium is 1.5

ezeeetm is offline Find More Posts by ezeeetm
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:38 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The color settings are not finalized, so some of them will change. The Advanced Color Settings options was released to get user feedback. If there is any concensus about settings that can be improved, they will be. Until then, posting samples is premature except to show Function settings which might be improved. If users understand what each function does to an image, then it becomes much easier to just do some sample shots to determine which is perceived as better. This web page has some basic information on the main functions. Or better yet, download the free Avidemux editor and load in one your own videos. Then select the Video/Filters/Colors option and double click on the "Mplayer eq2" filter to make it active, then click the Preview button. Your video frame is now displayed, and you can used the continuously variable slider controls tochange the settings. The left hal of the image stays normal, while the right half shows the changes. These sliders can do WAY more change than the minimla tweaks in the camera, but this shows better how the function can affect the image. Play with it for a while, and then using the Advance Color Option settings should be much easier to understand.

Also, I hope everyone understands that their specific color interpretation of what is "best" may not appear in the final settings because everyone perceives color differently, and they may have to do additional post-processing to meet their approval. Also, there may be some interaction between the various color functions when they are set in different combinations. And there are thousands of combinations possible... too many to test or show sample images. The only practical images to show in an up-front page (or manual) will be to set every color function to it's default, then step each function separately through it's settings to show how that affects the image, and even that requires multiple cameras shooting the exact same scene at the same time with the same lighting, which by itself is impossible if I do it, since I only have 3 #16 cameras to work with and no jig for alignment.
Okay I suppose that makes sense then, still happy to have the new firmware and finally use the GUI for setting things up quicker. Thanks for everyone's hard work
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8