SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:45 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,643 Posts
I have been playing with the 808 v2 #16 camera with D lens and have to say it is definitely worth the price. There are not to many micro HD cameras that record and send out live video at the same time. Surprises me how little jello effect it shows too. My new favorite micro camera for the mini quads

boring video at dusk of response when the D term is set too low
240mm mini quad response (2 min 28 sec)
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Last edited by pug398; Oct 12, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:16 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
...When string together stills to make a time lapse...how long should each still play....so they all play at the proper speed?
Think i recall .17sec...make each still play for .17 in the timeline for a smooth time lapse playback...does that sound right?
I will be posting a brief tutorial on how to make timelapse video from stills using produced by the #16 timelapse mode using WLMM. Ideally, you'd want 30 fps to have the same frame rate as the camera video. With WLMM, you can manually set the stills to display for .03 sec. minimum, which theoretically should produce a frame rate of 33.33 fps. But that setting must actually have slightly longer disply time, because the video produced by WLMM shows as 29 fps... close enough for smooth motion.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:55 AM
Registered Addict
Bodĝ, Norway
Joined Mar 2007
874 Posts
Great work on the firmware, I love the new motion detect and timelapse!

Thanks
Stigern is online now Find More Posts by Stigern
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:39 AM
Fly by Guzzi
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
off topic
falconerider is offline Find More Posts by falconerider
Last edited by falconerider; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:49 AM
Germany, lake of Konstanz
Joined Nov 2004
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I think I understand.

With video out I see both letter boxing and pillow boxing. The bars left and right are small, but there. It's possible that some video displays hide the extra in the overscan area, but on my display its clearly visible. Probably just an oddity with t phe video generation circuitry..
I also have the black bars left and right, both when using a frame grabber and my FatShark video goggles. It's not there with any other camera, so must be #16 V2 dependent.
I have PAL video equipment, so which video norm is output by the keycam? I guess it's NTSC, might that be an explanation?

For FPV the cam is not the optimal choose so far because of the shrinked-down video image within my goggles. Would be fine to see an option here for zooming the video to 4:3 fullscreen (as no one is using yet 16:9 goggles I assume), even if some content at left and right will get cut off then.

Regards, Gerd
GerdS is offline Find More Posts by GerdS
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
To the Developers:

And those to like to Answer

Mode
  • camcodder
  • still
  • time lapse

The two primary are great and adding a third guess is an option?

These are the existing scheme;
camcorder uses yellow led.

still a solid red, with yellow (orange) behind,

time lapse with red only.

Time lapse would be set at default ( 1 sec) a setting that we all agree on, and change whenever you want.

If you have a better option we al love to hear.

future of this in mode is possiable for cam, still, time, motion. not carry sd cards in pocket. Lol
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:24 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
And maybe a short time needed to Power ON the camera when pressing the power button. Less with one second that now will be nice to have. Also to Power Off the camera to be shorter with 1 second.

Motion Detect Bug?
I think the Motion Detect mode is not working if the camera is connected to the computer.
I started the camera, it starts recording and then I connected it to the computer to have 5V power and save the battery.
After no motion, the camera stops, entering in USB mode and started communication with the PC. So from this point Motion Detection is not working anymore.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Last edited by Mtz; Oct 13, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:39 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,414 Posts
In timelapse, do all the jpegs have the same exposure as the first frame, or is auto exposure functioning depending on the light?

Thanks!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:44 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconerider View Post
Which mini quad do you use? I want to buy one, if possible a cheap one. It should carry the 808 jello-free.

Ciao
Falconerider
This is off topic in this #16 thread. Please use PM to the person you are asking for things like this so the thread doesn't get sidetracked. Thank you.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:46 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
In timelapse, do all the jpegs have the same exposure as the first frame, or is auto exposure functioning depending on the light?

Thanks!
I think this can be depending of some camera settings, but if everything is set as default the exposure varies.
You can see in this example which was done using virtualdub as described here.

TimeLapse test with 808#16 V2 (0 min 20 sec)

I think some differences appear in exposure because of birds on the sky.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:58 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
WIth ever changing scenes. the Exposure to the cam will not be the same. you would have to lock the settings, to achieve the optimum still.

I understand that if you take a picture with perfect lightingconditions will the cam take different shots, that I think we all been observing from fw beta 41. no longer latest
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:01 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
And maybe a short time needed to Power ON the camera when pressing the power button. Less with one second that now will be nice to have. Also to Power Off the camera to be shorter with 1 second.

Motion Detect Bug?
I think the Motion Detect mode is not working if the camera is connected to the computer.
I started the camera, it starts recording and then I connected it to the computer to have 5V power and save the battery.
After no motion, the camera stops, entering in USB mode and started communication with the PC. So from this point Motion Detection is not working anymore.
Are you using a cable that is less the info, just power?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:05 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,616 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
The camera uses, and must use when you think of it, auto exposure for the individual images. If the exposure were fixed based on the first image captured, it would not be possible to effectively capture things like sunrise/sunsets, etc. without subsequent images being grossly over/under exposed. But even with auto-exposure, when the stills are joined to be played back as a movie, there can be a slight flickering effect due to the difference in the way the auto-exposure averages out for each frame.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 13, 2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:19 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
To the Developers:

And those to like to Answer

Mode
  • camcodder
  • still
  • time lapse
The two primary are great and adding a third guess is an option?

These are the existing scheme;
camcorder uses yellow led.

still a solid red, with yellow (orange) behind,

time lapse with red only.

Time lapse would be set at default ( 1 sec) a setting that we all agree on, and change whenever you want.

If you have a better option we al love to hear.

future of this in mode is possiable for cam, still, time, motion. not carry sd cards in pocket. Lol
I see no need to have an additional mode for time lapse. It just over-complicates the two-button usage, something which so many seem to have a problem with already. As more functions are added based on user requests, all using the same two buttons, it is necessary to have a slight delay time for the camera to process the settings when it powers up or changes modes. A third button for changing modes might be a better alternative now that this camera has come of age, but that means redesigning the circuit board and FW logic, something better spent on a totally new camera with higher resolution CMOS and lens module, 1080p (30fps) and 720p (60fps) modes, etc., etc.