HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:03 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
701 Posts
Nr16setup.exe - compliments to Isoprop for such an outstanding piece of software and also to the others involved in making this camera better!
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Last edited by pardus; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:08 AM
Fly by Guzzi
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I much prefer the Lens A over the lens B for the reason you gave... hot spot and vignetting exposure and color shift. There is really only about 7-8 deg. FOV difference between the two, not nearly enough difference to put up with the downside to me. But that's just me! YMMV.
Me too!
I'm happy thatI bought lens A. No vignetting, no center spot.
I would like a wider AOV, but not at the price of vignetting.
Does lens B really make color shift? Another reason not to buy it.
Ciao
Falconerider
falconerider is offline Find More Posts by falconerider
Last edited by falconerider; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:03 AM
Sweden, Malmö
Joined Oct 2012
81 Posts
Nice weather in Sweden Malmö today, taking my Robin M1 (Segway style) with 808 #16 for a drive :P

photo upload

Will upload vids later
Ulrik_A is offline Find More Posts by Ulrik_A
Last edited by Ulrik_A; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:57 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconerider View Post
Me too!
Ciao
Falconerider
Maybe my choice of words was misleading. The darkening of the colors in the area of vignetting also gives them a slightly different hue as well. There is no overall color shift from the lens. The center hot spot and darker edges just appear to have slightly different color due to the different exposure levels.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:39 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Me too!
Ciao
Falconerider
B lens

Here's a video from this morning. I also dislike the vignetting, I'll swap the lens for a D soon. This one is also focussed way too close, about 12 inches, see at about 30sec in the video

However this test was mostly to see the stability of the 0.41 beta with Fluorescent. I would say much more stable, so if you need to change tint in editor, it can work. Also no fade to gray

#16 B lens early morning (3 min 11 sec)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:46 AM
seahorse41
Joined Jan 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Like victapilot, Bill Bergman and others have posted, these are excellent examples and exactly what the developer is looking for. I'm sure he's most grateful and I'm sure we'll all profit from your hard work in a future firmware version.
Okay, I'll have a go at it again. Instead of debating what true-colors are, I'm labeling the Canon picture as the "GOAL" with a wide range of colors in view.
Canon 20202 20203 20204 20252 20253 20254 21201 21202 24202 24203 24243
and the#11 which isn't right either.
Exposure Value=[ 2 ]; 2: 0EV
White Balance=[ 0 ]; 0:Auto, 1: Daylight, 4:Fluorescent
Contrast=[ 2 ]; 2:Normal
Color Effect=[ 0 ]; 0:Standard, 4:Cool, 5:Warm
Saturation=[ 2 ]; 1:-1, 2:Normal, 3:+1, 4:+2

I can't find a setting that achieves that goal.
Florescent is too yellow, and Warm does not bring out the green. Any other combinations I could try before the leaves fall?

I have sent the original photo JPG(s) with meta-data to Peter to forward to the developer.
Stewart
seahorse41 is offline Find More Posts by seahorse41
Last edited by seahorse41; Oct 11, 2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: arranging all thumbnails on one screen, add 20203,20204, replace 21201,21202
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Seahorse, I guess the Canon was set to auto? The fluorescent setting results will depend on the time of day, shade etc. Reminds me of kodachrome, which said correct colors were 2 hours after sunrise and 2 hours before sunset, if I remember correctly.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
The fluorescent setting results will depend on the time of day, shade etc. Reminds me of kodachrome, which said correct colors were 2 hours after sunrise and 2 hours before sunset, if I remember correctly.
Exactly! For people to think a $40 CMOS camera can record with their perfect color rendition in any light is VERY wishful think (and impossible, to boot).

The only way to achieve one's personal optimal results is to use post-processing with a capable editor.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
Fly by Guzzi
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse41 View Post
Okay, I'll have a go at it again. Instead of debating what true-colors are, I'm labeling the Canon picture as the "GOAL" with a wide range of colors in view.

Great idea to compare settings!

Florescent is too yellow yes, sir, and Warm does not bring out the green another yes. Any other combinations I could try before the leaves fall?
That's exactly what I mean: Too much brown/yellow, less green. The canon goal gets it!

As Tom says: Maybe we expect too much from a $40 CMOS. But maybe the developer (three cheers for Peter!) can tweak the firmware to improve colors. He's the wizard of 808.

And, Isoprop, you are a wizard too: with your phantastic GUI it is possible to get all these test photos in a short time! Thanks!

Ciao
Falconerider
falconerider is offline Find More Posts by falconerider
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
That's exactly what I mean: Too much brown/yellow, less green. The canon goal gets it!

As Tom says: Maybe we expect too much from a $40 CMOS. But maybe the developer (three cheers for Peter!) can tweak the firmware to improve colors. He's the wizard of 808.

And, Isoprop, you are a wizard too: with your phantastic GUI it is possible to get all these test photos in a short time! Thanks!

Ciao
Falconerider
The colors toggles will be tweaked by the developer as more feedback is received, and it may be possible to more closely mimic the Canon colors in the lighting you showed. But under different lighting conditions, all bets are off, which is what I was getting at. There's just too much difference in how various CMOS imagers react to different lighting conditions to expect any more than a one-off match.

Quite honestly, there were several sample pictures shown that look good to my eye, even though not identical to the Canon sample.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse41 View Post
Canon 20202 20252 20253 20254 21202 24202 24203 24243
and the#11 which isn't right either.
Exposure Value=[ 2 ]; 2: 0EV
White Balance=[ 0 ]; 0:Auto, 1: Daylight, 4:Fluorescent
Contrast=[ 2 ]; 2:Normal
Color Effect=[ 0 ]; 0:Standard, 4:Cool, 5:Warm
Saturation=[ 2 ]; 1:-1, 2:Normal, 3:+1, 4:+2

Florescent is too yellow, and Warm does not bring out the green. Any other combinations I could try before the leaves fall?

I have sent the original photo JPG(s) with meta-data to Peter to forward to the developer.
Stewart
My current preferred setting is 20204 (but also try 20203).

To my eye, the difference between your Canon goal and the standard 20202 is just saturation, not warmth.

It's all very subjective, and I know some don't like it, but for now I'm very pleased with the highest saturation setting.

Note: original A lens (yet to experiment with my D lens camera which only arrived a few days ago).
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:50 PM
Graham Dyer
Joined Jul 2003
701 Posts
I'm trying out my FPV Tx on my newly arrived #16. When I plug the USB cable with GND and Vid-Out into my Tx's GND and Vid-In the correct OSD & camera image comes up but the image is frozen (OSD & cam). If I unplug then everything is fine showing the OSD screen (no cam obviously). The frozen image is not always synced with the frame as you can see in the image below. (pic 1)

The #16 is powered by it's internal battery and the VTx by a 12V supply, the second power plug on the USB cable is not used. If I plug the #16 directly into the screen I'm using to view it works fine so it's not that the #16 needs 5V through the second plug (pic 2).

Any ideas why?
Cancel, got it to work

Also is there any way not to letterbox the video out so severely, especially the sides? (pic 2) Must be losing 20% of the screen real estate.
Pic 1:

Pic 2:
Last edited by pardus; Oct 11, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:53 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post

Also is there any way not to letterbox the video out so severely, especially the sides? (pic 2) Must be losing 20% of the screen real estate.
Tom has stated that he does not know how to tweak image settings on video out.

BTW, ODS says PAL, isn't this NTSC output on the cam?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
Graham Dyer
Joined Jul 2003
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Tom has stated that he does not know how to tweak image settings on video out.

BTW, ODS says PAL, isn't this NTSC output on the cam?
Thanks.
I have managed to now get the correct live view out to work. Not sure about the PAL / NTSC bit, think my FPV cam and Tx/Rx are PAL, however it all seems to work fine now though except for the letterboxing, but if that can't be changed I'm sure I can live with it.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
Thanks.
I have managed to now get the correct live view out to work. Not sure about the PAL / NTSC bit, think my FPV cam and Tx/Rx are PAL, however it all seems to work fine now though except for the letterboxing, but if that can't be changed I'm sure I can live with it.
Thanks for asking this, I wasn't aware that it would live feed, and record at the same time... just tried it and hoowa there it is. Will try it out on my fpv rig now.
Crashed22 is online now Find More Posts by Crashed22