HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:42 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
You are using the wrong words, at least for my understanding .. Android isn't java, but it isn't c either....
Android Apps and SDK are all in Java...
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:42 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
450 Helicopter Mount for 808#16

Thought I would share. I made a mount for the 808 #16 for my 450 helicopter. It is simple and quite nice. I had to replace my gyro mount for a longer one, so I used the stock mount and a few linkages along with 2 rubber canopy fasteners to make a stiff but adjustable mount for my camera.

More pictures are on my blog.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:53 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Clutter
Last edited by empeabee; Oct 05, 2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Taken down - cluttering the thread.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
display control and os stuff don't really matter.

what matters is the protocols to "talk" to the camera.

anything else is the responsibility of the coder to know is that not correct?

from what I understand making the interface on android is actually pretty easy (I can't do it but you get the point)

the hard part is the "talking to the camera" part.
At last I know what you are talking about

I don't have the DLL code for accessing the underlying USB communication. It is a DLL and has nothing to do with the GUI. It works equally well from the command prompt.

The DLL is closed source and was developed by the chip manufacturer, not the camera developer. With all this non-disclosure stuff I would say your chances of getting your hands on the code are NIL. But similar to what I previously posted, the code will use Windows APIs so would be totally useless for Android!

Once again, I don't understand all the fuss. If you find someone who understands the USB part of Android it should be a piece of cake for him to implement the interface - just sniff the data moving over the USB bus. Even someone without any programming knowledge whatsoever can do that!

According to therau2000 no public USB libraries exist for java, but he's researching...

Yes, java is a pretty simple language, so programming an app should be no great deal. Using the USB interface is a different story.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Android Apps and SDK are all in Java...
Mike
True.

The Android core is written in C/C++, as far as I know. Most probably a bit of assembler here and there too.

Using Java for the App layer was most probably a very wise decision.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:35 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
ahhh THAT is the magic part. the dll. ok I get it now. so your program does not interface with the camera you interface with the DLL and THAT interfaces with the program. ??

Drat. I am guessing that android can not use or sim dll ? "I HAVE" run windows 95 on a droid so it might not be totally impossible but probably too much work in general. Pity.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitamar View Post
Many thanks for the answer now I can see the video on my dominators and my screen but it has the video smaller then the screen on both the dominators and my screen , is it possible to stretch the video or get bigger resolution ? Thanks
Does any one know the answer?
Mitamar is offline Find More Posts by Mitamar
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:29 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitamar View Post
Does any one know the answer?
smaller than the screen in all directions or just top and bottom?

It will be smaller on top and bottom due to the formatting of 16:9 to 4:3 on the display. Just like watching a wide screen movie on a regular tv...
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Dream Machine For Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
ahhh THAT is the magic part. the dll. ok I get it now. so your program does not interface with the camera you interface with the DLL and THAT interfaces with the program. ??

Drat. I am guessing that android can not use or sim dll ? "I HAVE" run windows 95 on a droid so it might not be totally impossible but probably too much work in general. Pity.
The Android operating system is an off shoot of Linux. Absolutely NOTHING written for Windows would run in the Android environment, that includes exe's dll's api's etc.

All the Andriod app's are written in an Android environment of Java, again no Windows code would run in Java.

So the upshot of your requests is that you would need to rewrite the Android app you want from new in Java.

Starting with a print out of the windows listing of the GUI in order to rewrite the code in Java would be completely utterly pointless.

VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:35 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
nono. the reason I wanted source was to get whats in the "dll" as I now understand it.

NOW I understand your replies since there is no "camera code" in the windows program. its all in the DLL (I did not know this part)

I still need the source but of the DLL and since that is "not available" I doubt this could work. real pity as that would be SO convenient.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:52 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Seems to me easy enough to create the SYSCFG.txt file, and edit it in the phone
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Oct 05, 2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:03 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
#1 no "cool factor" doing it that way.

#2 can not do real time "time setting" that way

#3 many phones you have to turn the phone off extract it from your case remove the back remove the battery and THEN you can get the card out. Boot it naked do your stuff and put it all back together again and boot again :-) no fun :-)
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:11 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
nono. the reason I wanted source was to get whats in the "dll" as I now understand it.

NOW I understand your replies since there is no "camera code" in the windows program. its all in the DLL (I did not know this part)

I still need the source but of the DLL and since that is "not available" I doubt this could work. real pity as that would be SO convenient.
A DLL is a pure windows construct, and expects to have an Intel x86 processor, and it expects to live withing windows. Android is aimed at different processors.
I don't know Android much, but there must be Virtrual Machines, and maybe one that looks like an x86 with standard PC peripherals, but by now we are upto our armpits in angry alligators...

Mike (sorry for OTs, I'll try to supeglue my fingers together )
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:27 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,338 Posts
Quote:
#1 no "cool factor" doing it that way.

#2 can not do real time "time setting" that way

#3 many phones you have to turn the phone off extract it from your case remove the back remove the battery and THEN you can get the card out. Boot it naked do your stuff and put it all back together again and boot again :-) no fun :-)
Simple is cool!

For cool, see this, using the bluetooth capability of the phone to connect to the old HK transmitter via blutooth RS232 interface.

Look Ma, no cables
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:59 PM
The Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
408 Posts
Configuration Assistant on tablets

nerys, empeabee, Isoprop, and others.

I can confirm what Isoprop is saying: USB communication is complex; can't say if very, extremely, superduper complex or what... but is is.

Android: a while back I did look at making my Configuration Assistant program available under Android and iPad. Not a big deal for Android but the problem is that there is currently no standard Java available for Android (and none that I can find for iPad) and it won't happen any time soon since Google and Oracle (the new owner of Java) are at war (legally speaking).

A few Android tablets have some form of Java, but as far as I can tell most don't. Among those that do have Java, there is nothing consistent, at least for now. I can make something that works on a given tablet, but it is about 80% sure some parts won't work on other models or on other manufacturer's tablets. ... and not all Android products have USB port(s).

Therefore don't hold your breath...
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000