HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:44 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintail1 View Post
I have to agree he knows what talking about, & his videos are very good & I will put up with his posts,, I do think he should banned, fishy keep the videos commig. enjoy

Pintail.

too late. another creative soul crushed by "the man". lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I shall rephrain from further post and have a great weekend

No insults I said to a soul and yet I get insulted hmmmm

Once again I apologize to all and moving forward
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Last edited by dave1993; Oct 05, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:54 PM
Fly by Guzzi
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Jul 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Thank you for posting. This is exactly the sort of constructive criticism the developer is looking for. If you manage to take any pictures which could prove useful, please also post them and don't delete the originals. There is always a small chance the developer would like a copy of the original, raw material.
Isoprop, please tell me how to post fotos here!

Today I realized that I made the mistake to take fotos (and not videos) for testing. But there is a big difference how the software of the camera handles fotos and videos. I.e. a foto is overexposured, while a video with the same setting is good. So I have to take videos with the several settings for a real comparison. Later I make snapshots of them (like bobflyman did it in an earlier post), and post them here (if you tell me how to)

Some more work to do, please be patient!

By the way, we have lenses A, B and D. Where is the C? I wish I had a lens with a bigger fov than B, but I don't like the fisheye view for motorcycle videos. A lens with a fov of 90-95 degrees would be fine.

Falconerider
falconerider is offline Find More Posts by falconerider
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:04 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
And that lens (without the adaptor you mentioned) already weighs twice what the entire #16 camera weighs with battery, and more than doubles it's physical size. For me, that kills the benefit of the #16.
I agree, and I have no interest in a zoom lens for this camera

The 12mm non-zoom lenses are available in a wide range of focal lengths and are not too heavy. I didn't bother modifying a keyfob though. I used it in a Vivitar which actually has a 12mm adapter. The adapters weigh a gram or so, and are stackable.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:12 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
ive noticed that video with wide angle lenses is less shaky and of course more fits in the frame. "long" lenses are almost impossible to get a steady picture and very little fits in the frame. thats why i ordered the d.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I know but swapping cards is not as cool as plugging into my android and opening an app :-) hehe

I wonder. if I found a dev willing to work on it (yeah I know slim chance) would the windows dev be willing to share source code to make it easier for him to port to android?

Hoping maybe I can offer him a free camera to work on the port or something like that :-)
The windows dev would not share the source code because it would be absolutely useless! You could not port even one line! Android and Windows are two completely different worlds. However, Windows 8 phones do have a similarity, at least in their names.....

It's very easy to write a GUI if you have basic programming knowledge but it's the nitty-gritty parts that take a long time. It took me under an hour to design the first GUI version. Obviously it didn't "do" anything, but it looked good. Then I spent hundreds of hours getting it working as it does today.

It's the small things that users don't even notice that makes such a project so time consuming. For example, the camera is automatically recognized when it is connected and disconnected. When updating the configuration, was the correct camera disconnected? Resizing took me ages to implement - it had to work for foreign resources as well - and foreign text is normally much longer than English text, sometimes two lines are required, and the buttons are wider. Of course resizing is pointless if the fonts aren't also resized...
What happens when a Windows theme is changed? - no problem, the GUI can handle this. Or when the screen resolution is modified while the GUI is running? - no problem. There are also tons of error messages built in, messages that you will normally never see. The program is (hopefully) also thread safe. You may notice the exit button sometimes becomes grayed when you start the program - a thread or two are initializing themselves.

I don't want to go into all the gory details, but the GUI is totally Windows-orientated and cannot be ported in any way to Android.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconerider View Post
Isoprop, please tell me how to post fotos here!

Today I realized that I made the mistake to take fotos (and not videos) for testing. But there is a big difference how the software of the camera handles fotos and videos. I.e. a foto is overexposured, while a video with the same setting is good. So I have to take videos with the several settings for a real comparison. Later I make snapshots of them (like bobflyman did it in an earlier post), and post them here (if you tell me how to)

Some more work to do, please be patient!

By the way, we have lenses A, B and D. Where is the C? I wish I had a lens with a bigger fov than B, but I don't like the fisheye view for motorcycle videos. A lens with a fov of 90-95 degrees would be fine.

Falconerider
There are two ways (that I know of) to add pictures. You can use attachments (the paper clip) but you are limited in the size of file. The other method requires you to have disk space on an external server. Since I have my own server I don't know which free servers allow you to do this. Maybe someone else will jump in here.

You could also use a free service such as dropbox and simply provide us with the necessary information to access your files, or use sendspace.com but the free access is limited. I haven't really been watching how others do this, but I'm sure someone else will jump in.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:40 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
of course it can be ported to android don't be silly.

the point of the source code is not so he can "modify" the code and upload to android but to allow him (if he also understands windows programming) to "see" what was done and then "do" the same thing in android.

I am probably using the wrong words but I DO KNOW that having the source to an existing working program makes making a program on another platform MUCH EASIER.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:57 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Whether it is possible or not I don't know and wouldn't claim to but I for one would find a GUI type app for android extremely useful.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
deleted
ezarc is offline Find More Posts by ezarc
Last edited by ezarc; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:56 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
too late. another creative soul crushed by "the man". lol!
I think not, just think about the quote at the end of Terminator ...
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:

the point of the source code is not so he can "modify" the code and upload to android but to allow him (if he also understands windows programming) to "see" what was done and then "do" the same thing in android.

I am probably using the wrong words but I DO KNOW that having the source to an existing working program makes making a program on another platform MUCH EASIER.
You are using the wrong words, at least for my understanding

The GUI needs to be rewritten. It cannot be ported.

I don't know if you are a programmer or not, but I've been programming professionally long before the DOS or CP/M days and can assure you that using such "simple" existing code is absolutely no use whatsoever. It's true that algorithms and other specialized code blocks can be very useful when writing a new program, but the GUI doesn't have any of these! It simply reads the value of all the radio buttons and writes the values to the USB interface. Not even reading a radio button is the same code on another development system!

Like I previously posted, whipping up the GUI is terribly simple if you know your resource editor.

I'm not a Mac guy and only have a few hours experience with the Mac OS, but just for fun I created a GUI for the Mac in a few hours (it didn't do anything). That was last year and I abandoned my test because I had better things to do. I didn't even look at the Windows GUI because, like I said, it would have been of absolutely no use whatsoever. The APIs are completely different, and have to be handled in a completely different way.

The GUI has many thousands of lines of code and I would estimate about 50 different classes. Have you ever looked at someone else' code? It's a nightmare, I can assure you, even if you know what it's supposed to do.

I have programmed in various different languages, NEAT, COBOL, Assembler, Pascal, Basic, C, C++, etc. so believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about - it's no big deal to write a GUI from scratch, it's the nitty-gritty bits that bog you down - and it's those nitty-gritty bits that depend on the OS.

If you find someone who can program the USB on Android he'll be able to get a GUI up and running in no time. It's the USB part that's difficult, not the GUI.

therau2000, for example, wrote his java program without having the GUI source code. I only helped him a tiny bit in the logic, but he did a very effective job in getting his program to work exactly like the GUI. Everything from scratch. Android isn't java, but it isn't c either....
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:11 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
so same question remains. if I find a dev willing to work on this WOULD source code be forthcoming or not?
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:19 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2011
94 Posts
I am still waiting for new lenses. Is it known how much longer I need to wait for them?
Azuritko is offline Find More Posts by Azuritko
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:33 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,057 Posts
Quote:

But remember that Isoprop is the Windows developer, and I believe he wrote it in C#, which is very high level and utterly windows centric, with all the display, control & OS stuff hidden from 'prying eyes'.
When I interfaced a Laser to XP iusing C++ 12 years ago, the easy bit was designing the USB protocol and laser side in a simple mpu. The horrors were all in Windows and USB drivers. Very few people are willing to share that hard won information.
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:40 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
display control and os stuff don't really matter.

what matters is the protocols to "talk" to the camera.

anything else is the responsibility of the coder to know is that not correct?

from what I understand making the interface on android is actually pretty easy (I can't do it but you get the point)

the hard part is the "talking to the camera" part.