Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:06 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
4x rechargeable AA is 4.8v, not 5

USB 1 and 2 presume a low draw device until the device requests higher power. The draw limit is 100mah. Tom has measured the max draw of the 808 as 140mah which is higher than the USB standard.
4 fully charged nixx get to almost 6v. 4.8v is only a nominal rating for partially charged cells. also note that "dumb" usb devices can draw over 500ma from a typical pc type usb port not 100ma or even 140ma. some like the ipod charger will supply 700-900ma.

btw we are talking about ma here not mah.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Last edited by dave1993; Oct 04, 2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: ma not mah
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:15 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
?? I could be wrong here but USB is rated to 500mah. not 100mah.

4.8v don't matter. my usb battery packs are 3.7v ie they "boost" to 5.1v (typical)

my battery pack ran the cam just fine. SO either there is something wrong with your battery unit OR your usb cable is hinky

FYI I have "NEVER ONCE" encountered a usb battery box that put out less than 500mah per port. typically 1amp or more per port.

my batter box has 2 ports 1 amp and 2.1 amps. My s2 for example charges fine on the 2.1amp port but will NOT more than "trickle charge" off the 1amp port (not sure why must be a circuit id thing if the phone things its a pc usb port it typically will only trickle charge to avoid drawing too much from the port)

808-16 on external power only (1 min 35 sec)
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:29 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
nerys made the same mistake. we are talking about ma here not mah. mah is battery capacity rating. hes right about usb being a lot more than 100ma though.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:40 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
dave I changed your statement to 500mah since saying 500ma has no logical application in this discussion.

power draw (mah) is what we need to measure. if the camera takes 140mah and you have a 280mah "cell" in theory you can run it for 2 hours.

what is the cell in this camera? 300mah? if so the camera draws close to 600mah so if the port on his device is strictly 500mah limited and if I am correct in my guess that the camera needs more than 500mah to "operate" ie record.

then it would also fail to operate for that reason.

am i missing something?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:

4.8v don't matter. my usb battery packs are 3.7v ie they "boost" to 5.1v (typical)

my battery pack ran the cam just fine. SO either there is something wrong with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHH9w1o4MYI
Nerys thank you

My usb device works perfectwith my other devices, and since my Fluke just gave out, till alter on my project.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Here is Lens D demostration purposes change out enjoy

KeyChain cam 808 lens D change out (3 min 27 sec)

With tis Mod Just enlarging the hole that much makes a world of a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeie View Post
Hi

Is there a video or instructions for opening the lens D lens (no replacement instructions - I know!)?
]
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 04, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:04 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
Quote:
dave I changed your statement to 500mah since saying 500ma has no logical application in this discussion.

power draw (mah) is what we need to measure. if the camera takes 140mah and you have a 280mah "cell" in theory you can run it for 2 hours.

what is the cell in this camera? 300mah? if so the camera draws close to 600mah so if the port on his device is strictly 500mah limited and if I am correct in my guess that the camera needs more than 500mah to "operate" ie record.

am i missing something?
the 808 cameras i bought had batteries ranging from 90mah to 390mah as tested on a pretty reliable dc6 charger. im not sure what the #16 actually has. you cant go by advertisements or even whats printed on the cell. i will test mine when it arrives.

current drain is a different subject and not related at all to battery capacity. its important to use the correct units so people know what we are talking about (you wouldnt want a car that goes 90 miles but 90 mph would be fine). when talking about usb ports ma is the correct unit not mah. the #16 drain figures posted by experts here sound ok to me which would be expected to be somewhat more than the cheapies due to additional features like video out. but not 500ma. mine measured 90-100ma.
Last edited by dave1993; Oct 04, 2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: now you had me saying mah instead of ma. lol!
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:11 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:

my battery pack ran the cam just fine. SO either there is something wrong with your battery unit OR your usb cable is hinky

FYI I have "NEVER ONCE" encountered a usb battery box that put out less than 500mah per port. typically 1amp or more per port.

my batter box has 2 ports 1 amp and 2.1 amps. My s2 for example charges fine on the 2.1amp port but will NOT more than "trickle charge" off the 1amp port
If the 'batter'(y) box is well designed, then the 1 Amp port will go into shutdown if you try to take more than 1 amp - which makes me assume the s2 asks for more than 1 amp.
Quote:
(not sure why must be a circuit id thing if the phone things its a pc usb port it typically will only trickle charge to avoid drawing too much from the port)
The usb spec says that when a low power device is connected it will not be allowed to take more than 500 mA and a high power device not more than 1000 mA (1A).
But SOME computers try harder than others, and SOME (usually OLDER) computer USB ports have a FUSE built in, so the port dies if you try to take too much..
An un-powered external USB HUB will usually limit the current draw to 500 mA over all the ports, so that the computer has enough current (1A max) to drive the hub electronics as well,
Plug in an external power supply, and they each port will (in theory) be allowed to take 1 Amp each (unless the external power supply refuses to provide that much ).....
In other words USB power is labelled Here Be Dragons
Mike

Mike.
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:12 PM
It's a job...
United States, PA, Warrington
Joined May 2012
1,053 Posts
I really appreciate the effort and post. That's good info. So the cable that came with the 808 went "Tango Uniform" on me as well. Got a new one from BestBuy last night. Worked fined. Both my B and D lens are all charged up and seem to be in working order.

Did a little experiment today outside hotel on different settings.
Here a quick vid of both the B & D Lens with 3 different settings set by the GUI.
FW 41 mov.

NR16 GUI Settings - 808 #16 Keychain - B&D Lens (1 min 57 sec)

-747Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
OK, I've discovered what those 9 yellow LED blinks mean.

You have a depleted battery AND your USB power supply is not supplying the camera with enough volts.

I can replicate your problem by setting the USB voltage to 3.91V with a depleted battery having a charge of ~3.78V.

I'm sure you didn't set up your camera like in my test, but what I think this boils down to is a depleted battery and a bad USB cable. OR a depleted battery together with a USB hub that is not powered by an external 5V power source. Maybe the power connector from the hub has become disconnected
747Pilot is offline Find More Posts by 747Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Benderfly NEFPV 2014 Fly In
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:15 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
does anybody know if the #16 has a real lipo charger circuit or still uses that crummy diode resistor type like the old 808?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:23 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:

am i missing something?
Pedant mode ON.
mAh (often written mah) means
milli
Ampere
hours
i.e. the battery capacity.

mA (ma) =
milli
Amperes
that is the instantaneous current flowing the the circuit.

SO charging a battery at 100 mA current, for 1 hour puts 100mAh of charge into the battery.
If you discharged the battery at 1 A (1000 mA) then if would be flat in 6 minutes.
jf you discharged the battery at 10 mA then if would be flat in 10 Hours.
Mike
Last edited by empeabee; Oct 04, 2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: formatting
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:35 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
does anybody know if the #16 has a real lipo charger circuit or still uses that crummy diode resistor type like the old 808?
real charger cct. (mentioned many times).

Mike
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:12 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
if a device draws 500ma and you want to run it for 1 hour what do you need.?

500mah. its pretty simple. draw without time when dealing with batteries is kind of pointless.

I always rate things "by the hour" so to speak. makes it easy to figure things out.

but yeah see your point.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:18 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
real charger cct. (mentioned many times).

Mike
thanks mike. if it wasnt in the first few thousand posts i probably missed it. in fact if it wasnt in the first 5 i probably read and forgot. its starting to look like maybe 40 bucks wasnt so bad after all.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:20 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Thanks... good to know. They can be emailed to me or posted to a download site like sendspace.com, and I can forward to the developer if desired. Only images to show a problem or suggested change are needed.
The RCG file size limit of 300mb is the issue, I think. You can upload a bigger file, but they cut it back and in doing so, lose original EXIF data.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot