HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:20 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
The sharpness of the 808 Lens # 16 D can be adjusted with a few tens of degrees rotations. But if the depth of field is so large, I venture to doubt, because - like me - is not possible, they are both at the top and bottom of the screen at the same time to focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The D lens has a VERY large depth of field, and might not be as bad as to you think. Do you have a sample video you can post, or some still photos (with the 1280x720 photo frame size set in the GUI)? It's normal to see fairly sharp image detail that close with that lens, with the far focus still good. If it's off, I'll bet it's by less than a couple deg. of rotation.
Luckeie is offline Find More Posts by Luckeie
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:34 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
This is very interesting, since I've lost my 3 SanDisk cards in use on the mountainbike, connected to an external battery supply.

However, I had assumed that the external supply of 808 # 16 Battery management is controlled. This means that if the internal battery drops below a certain voltage, the internal battery is charged by the external battery until it is full again! And vice versa: If the external battery is empty, the internal battery is used and then uses the internal emergency shutdown. How in such a scenario is to shut off the external battery as fast as the 808 is no longer there comes along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I have lost 5 cards so far which have flipped to read only, but on each occasion I have been using external USB battery power. This leads me to believe the voltage drops too quickly for the firmware to react. All my cards were new-generation Sandisk.
Luckeie is offline Find More Posts by Luckeie
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:12 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeie View Post
This is very interesting, since I've lost my 3 SanDisk cards in use on the mountainbike, connected to an external battery supply.

However, I had assumed that the external supply of 808 # 16 Battery management is controlled. This means that if the internal battery drops below a certain voltage, the internal battery is charged by the external battery until it is full again! And vice versa: If the external battery is empty, the internal battery is used and then uses the internal emergency shutdown. How in such a scenario is to shut off the external battery as fast as the 808 is no longer there comes along?
I assume that if the external voltage drops below a certain voltage it will no longer charge the internal battery. If, at the same time, the internal battery is below the minimum cut-off voltage, the camera will run exclusively on external power. I doubt very much if the 5V USB is monitored by the camera. Why should it be? The USB specification requires 5V, no more, no less. At some point in time the external power will drop so far that the camera will just "stop" because there is not enough power to keep the electronics running. The internal battery can't kick in because it's state of charge is also too low.

I guess you could test this with a card reader. Write a large file to the card and then, during the write cycle, pull the plug. I have no intention of trying this, but it would be interesting to see which cards survive and which don't.

With the #16, I don't think it happens all the time, just fairly often. You and I have been bitten, and so have many others. SanDisk support confirmed the bug, but told me they hadn't found a solution. That was a few months ago, so maybe things have changed in the meantime.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:59 AM
Registered User
alex_007's Avatar
France, Pays de la Loire, Nantes
Joined Sep 2010
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Yes, but the camera, when recording, will draw as much current as a micro/mini servo, so if you are powering the RX with the BEC off an ESC with a linear voltage regulator, you could over tax the BEC circuit causing it to over heat and shut off until it cools. An external switching regulator to power the critical circuits (or an ESC with on-board switching BEC regulator) is the wsafest way to go.

Ok so me, who have a TopFire 80Aamp i can do it?! It have on-board BEC regulator! (70amp on this pic i know, it's not mine)
alex_007 is offline Find More Posts by alex_007
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:44 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
284 Posts
Sorry - wrong thread.. but has there been any firmware updates for this camera?
A link would be great
http://www.ahdcameras.com/images/T/md80_2_0.jpg
GTiDonavan is offline Find More Posts by GTiDonavan
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:18 AM
Registered User
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Upgraded firmware on my #16 and installed GUI.

If you just follow the PDF manual sent with camera it's very easy !

Everything is in there, just read carefully.

All steps went flawless and took maybe 5 minutes.

I don't have external card reader, so i even used "backdoor" to delete firmware file from card and it all worked out.

Thank you so much developers, Isoprop and TomFrank (i can hear your voice when i read the PDF manual, i'm sure it was written or edited by you guys, thank you !!! !!!)

What a great tools for this little camera !
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:00 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Something like it will be. But why should the internal battery at the moment when the external battery fails, already be under a certain voltage? It should be so that when the camera is powered externally, the internal is either loaded or just full. Then falls off the external battery, so it should go in any case once a time with the internal. But I suppose that everything beautiful thoughts gimmick and the reality is just behaves a little differently. Thanks for the reply!

On this site: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C16 you can read: Rechargeable 'LIPO Battery (250mah), with Battery Charger Manage IC'

He should do the gimmick. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
If, at the same time, the internal battery is below the minimum cut-off voltage, the camera will run exclusively on external power.
Luckeie is offline Find More Posts by Luckeie
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:38 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Very true! I have opened up my camera once again so I can clearly observe the LEDs. The green LED should either be on or off. There is no intermediate state. If the green LED becomes dim, there is a hardware fault.
Mine goes dim in a USB port. Bright green when plugged into a charger.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:00 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Question... My 808 #16 spent 24 hrs in the pouring rain, about 60 feet up in a tree. Then 24hrs in a bag of rice. Camera functions okay, records, even let me upgrade the firmware... But won't hold a charge more than a day. Do I need to change the batt, and if so, where can I get one and where can I find instructions on how to do it? Thanks!
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:21 AM
Registered User
clarebanner's Avatar
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Mar 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeamondo View Post
Question... My 808 #16 spent 24 hrs in the pouring rain, about 60 feet up in a tree. Then 24hrs in a bag of rice. Camera functions okay, records, even let me upgrade the firmware... But won't hold a charge more than a day. Do I need to change the batt, and if so, where can I get one and where can I find instructions on how to do it? Thanks!
..You can buy a battery here...http://stores.ebay.com/digitalele889?_rdc=1 & this is a video showing how to ...
keycam battery replacement (4 min 0 sec)
clarebanner is offline Find More Posts by clarebanner
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:23 AM
Fly by Guzzi
falconerider's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Münster
Joined Jul 2012
37 Posts
Advanced settings test

Hi folks,
I read this thread for some months, this is my first posting here. Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.

I started in April with a #3, in summer I changed to #16 (this was a big jump), and I am very, very impressed of this tiny great thing. I'm an enthusiastic bike driver of old Guzzis, and shooted some really nice vids of my rides, i.e. up to Stelvio, which is one of the highest passes of the Alpes.

Thanks to Tom, Isoprop, Peter and all the others who work on this nice camera!

In order to improve the colors, I now test the settings of the new beta firmware, and get some efforts by "fluorescent" and "saturation high". With this setting I get much more phantastic videos than before! Who needs a GoPro now?

I also tested the Color Options by making photos (not videos) and found out, that there is virtually no difference between "cool", "normal", "warm" and "warmer". "cooler" is a little more difference, "sepia" is sepia and mono is...

I saw this and didn't trust my eyes. So I controlled it with Adobe Photoshop. There you can see the curves for the tonal value (is this tghe right expression?), and they are very related. Maybe this is an issue that should be changed. There should be more visible differences between the steps.

With the new firmware and the GUI it is so easy to change the settings! I will shoot photos of all the settings to find out which setting makes what difference. I hope the weather is good enough to do so.

Ciao
Falconerider
falconerider is offline Find More Posts by falconerider
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:31 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Mine goes dim in a USB port. Bright green when plugged into a charger.
Very interesting!

I've just checked all of my cameras, from the very first pre-production thru the latest "D" Lens. On all of them the green LED is the same brightness when connected to the USB port or a charger. As proof I connected one of the cameras to a laboratory variable power supply. The green light remains constant from 5V down to 4.2V. At 4.2V it turns off. It does not dim, or I can't notice the difference
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconerider View Post
Hi folks,
I read this thread for some months, this is my first posting here. Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.

I started in April with a #3, in summer I changed to #16 (this was a big jump), and I am very, very impressed of this tiny great thing. I'm an enthusiastic bike driver of old Guzzis, and shooted some really nice vids of my rides, i.e. up to Stelvio, which is one of the highest passes of the Alpes.

Thanks to Tom, Isoprop, Peter and all the others who work on this nice camera!

In order to improve the colors, I now test the settings of the new beta firmware, and get some efforts by "fluorescent" and "saturation high". With this setting I get much more phantastic videos than before! Who needs a GoPro now?

I also tested the Color Options by making photos (not videos) and found out, that there is virtually no difference between "cool", "normal", "warm" and "warmer". "cooler" is a little more difference, "sepia" is sepia and mono is...

I saw this and didn't trust my eyes. So I controlled it with Adobe Photoshop. There you can see the curves for the tonal value (is this tghe right expression?), and they are very related. Maybe this is an issue that should be changed. There should be more visible differences between the steps.

With the new firmware and the GUI it is so easy to change the settings! I will shoot photos of all the settings to find out which setting makes what difference. I hope the weather is good enough to do so.

Ciao
Falconerider
Thank you for posting. This is exactly the sort of constructive criticism the developer is looking for. If you manage to take any pictures which could prove useful, please also post them and don't delete the originals. There is always a small chance the developer would like a copy of the original, raw material.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:24 PM
3D Sunset Flier
Buzzed's Avatar
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarebanner View Post
..You can buy a battery here...http://stores.ebay.com/digitalele889?_rdc=1 & this is a video showing how to ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8hZxgc5_o&feature=plcp
Excellent vid. Thank you for posting this.

-Buzzed

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:25 PM
3D Sunset Flier
Buzzed's Avatar
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconerider View Post
Hi folks,
I read this thread for some months, this is my first posting here. Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.

I started in April with a #3, in summer I changed to #16 (this was a big jump), and I am very, very impressed of this tiny great thing. I'm an enthusiastic bike driver of old Guzzis, and shooted some really nice vids of my rides, i.e. up to Stelvio, which is one of the highest passes of the Alpes.

Thanks to Tom, Isoprop, Peter and all the others who work on this nice camera!

In order to improve the colors, I now test the settings of the new beta firmware, and get some efforts by "fluorescent" and "saturation high". With this setting I get much more phantastic videos than before! Who needs a GoPro now?

I also tested the Color Options by making photos (not videos) and found out, that there is virtually no difference between "cool", "normal", "warm" and "warmer". "cooler" is a little more difference, "sepia" is sepia and mono is...

I saw this and didn't trust my eyes. So I controlled it with Adobe Photoshop. There you can see the curves for the tonal value (is this tghe right expression?), and they are very related. Maybe this is an issue that should be changed. There should be more visible differences between the steps.

With the new firmware and the GUI it is so easy to change the settings! I will shoot photos of all the settings to find out which setting makes what difference. I hope the weather is good enough to do so.

Ciao
Falconerider
Can't wait to see some vid Falconerider. I'm a big Guzzi fan too.

-Buzzed
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion The REAL (#11) HD Key Cam Thread (PLEASE! READ POSTS #1-#3 BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!) Tom Frank Aerial Photography 9936 Feb 11, 2014 09:56 AM
Discussion Looking to buy #11 HD Key Cam within US Abolfazl Aerial Photography 1 Feb 14, 2012 01:59 AM
Poll Poll For Current and Future #11 HD Key Cam Users Tom Frank Aerial Photography 0 Sep 25, 2011 11:55 PM
Discussion New HD Key Cam CHAMP? 1080x720p 3 HOUR RECORD TIME! Jaybee Aerial Photography 4 Jun 02, 2011 11:39 AM