HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jun 2010
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Another test of V41 firmware with max saturation setting and fluorescent toggled on. It appears as the color match and stability works better.

https://vimeo.com/50011834
Just for clarification. Does setting the camera to FLUORESCENT totally disable AWB, or does it create a color offset around which AWB operates much in the same way a filter in front of the lens would?

Good vid. Thanks for the effort.

Cliff
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:01 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
Just for clarification. Does setting the camera to FLUORESCENT totally disable AWB, or does it create a color offset around which AWB operates much in the same way a filter in front of the lens would?

Cliff
I can't answer that definitively. I had thought all the settings other than the Auto setting had fixed white balance adjustments (by definition). But then when I shot the four camera test video (see my recent post with the Vimeo link), the Cloudy setting also showed the blue-to-gray color shift of a clear blue sky, just like the Auto setting. The Daylight setting and Fluorescent setting does not do this however. So, I'm not sure what's going on in the firmware for these.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:23 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
Yes I already have an "old" 808#16 with A lens, no problem there, the problem is with the "red dot" you see in the lens of the B lens ( 808#16 V2 ), ( that red dot is because its got a IR lens? , video in darker spaces and the quality of video is much better than the old "A" lens, and the field of view has improved too.

thank you!, regards
The red color is because of the IR filter being on the front of the lens as you said, but the reason it's so visible is because that filter has a perfectly flat front surface, and therefore reflects any light linearly across the entire lens surface, making it quite visible. The "A" lens has the filter in the back (inside the CMOS module), and the front surface of the lens has a very convex front surface, scattering any reflected light across a very wide angle. The portion of any reflected light that hits your eye is just a tiny (blue) dot, a fraction of the total lens diameter.

FWIW, the lens that was shipped with the early #16 cameras were different from the current "A" lens. You may have one of those if you are seeing a big difference in video quality between "A" and "B" lenses. I started testing the new color settings in FW 0.41 with both "A" and "B" lens cameras, and could not see any significant difference in video quality in good outdoor light, other than the pronounced more vignetting the "B" lens has. Admittedly, I haven't done much indoor video comparison testing, though.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Anyone interested in buying the 808s from a local reseller?

Hi,

I stumbled upon the 808 #16 a few months ago, and immediately got one. I use it to record in-helmet POV videos of my motorcycle trips, I've used it in Yosemite park and other parts of California and I love the small size and that it fits into the helmet.

Would anyone here buy one from a US dealer, but has reservations about sending money to China + wait 2-3 weeks for the arrival?

I'm thinking of importing a bulk of cameras and re-selling them here. Not sure what the price would be, if you're interested, let me know what you'd be willing to pay.

Also, how important is short delivery time/sent from USA to you? Am I mislead in thinking that people would appreciate this service, or am I right? Just going off my instincts here.

Anyways, if you might buy one, I put up a little info site so you know what's up:
http://808helmetcamera.com/

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

pdiddy

PS: Oh yea, what lens would you prefer? Personally, I got the B, and I find the angle a little too narrow. Maybe the wide angle would be better for motorcycling videos.
pdiddy9 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddy9
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
ok thank you for your ideas,
BTW there´s nothing spooky or underground or bad in what Im asking, its used for surveillance, so if the RED DOT lens are very noticeable from many angles, its fair to use something to make it NOT noticeable for nannys-burglars etc.

Yes I already have an "old" 808#16 with A lens, no problem there, the problem is with the "red dot" you see in the lens of the B lens ( 808#16 V2 ), ( that red dot is because its got a IR lens? , video in darker spaces and the quality of video is much better than the old "A" lens, and the field of view has improved too.

thank you!, regards
Welcomed.

the red dot reflects back into video with angle. afraid someone may see, no comment.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:41 AM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
love the wide angle. if you can beat $40 you got my vote :-)
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy9 View Post
Hi,

I stumbled upon the 808 #16 a few months ago, and immediately got one. I use it to record in-helmet POV videos of my motorcycle trips, I've used it in Yosemite park and other parts of California and I love the small size and that it fits into the helmet.

Would anyone here buy one from a US dealer, but has reservations about sending money to China + wait 2-3 weeks for the arrival?

I'm thinking of importing a bulk of cameras and re-selling them here. Not sure what the price would be, if you're interested, let me know what you'd be willing to pay.

Also, how important is short delivery time/sent from USA to you? Am I mislead in thinking that people would appreciate this service, or am I right? Just going off my instincts here.

Anyways, if you might buy one, I put up a little info site so you know what's up:
http://808helmetcamera.com/

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

pdiddy

PS: Oh yea, what lens would you prefer? Personally, I got the B, and I find the angle a little too narrow. Maybe the wide angle would be better for motorcycling videos.
I don't want to discourage you, but are you aware there is already a US seller?

novotm announced his eBay listing here and you can find his actual listings by clicking here.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Sep 25, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:19 AM
Happy when flying!
France, Aquitaine
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
I did a test with 0.41 beta, setup for daylight and everything else auto/normal, class 4 sd card.

Right side of the picture is a bit blured because of moisture on/in the lens (too much flights/rolling in humid/rainy conditions)

This is a 808#16 V1 with FE-12 fisheye lens, even if it sometimes crashes on hard landings or rolls, this cam is pretty robust!

Sorry for shakiness but our track is very rough...

Losi 22 FPV Racing (6 min 32 sec)

Also waiting for 2x #16 v2 with lens D for aerial videos

Thanks to Tom, Isoprop and the dev team for their amazing work!
kjrell is offline Find More Posts by kjrell
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:56 AM
Just thumbing through...
Sunny (mostly) SC, home of the Joe Nall
Joined Feb 2009
4,323 Posts
[QUOTE=Tom Frank;22824099 You can't expect the same kind of performance as might be available from a camera costing several hundreds times as much.[/QUOTE]

$8000 camera? Don't think so

Anyhow, agree there might be interaction between settings. I still don't understand how AWB reacts with the color setting, in particular warmer/cooler. Never seen that on any camera.

Maybe some interaction with autoexposure too..
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:16 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Apologies to All

Tungsten was set and registered as (0). Tripled set the cam to AWB works fine. video thank you.

This video added is of AWB and may be tooooo long for some

Brooklyn Bridge, Dumbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVGmGa5Xupw
Fishy,, To me this was the best video you have ever posted.. As I was stationed at Fort Hamilton in 1965-66 while in the Army I still love watching anything about the NY area.. Video looked very good for the little camera also.. Thanks Bob
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Fishy,, To me this was the best video you have ever posted.. As I was stationed at Fort Hamilton in 1965-66 while in the Army I still love watching anything about the NY area.. Video looked very good for the little camera also.. Thanks Bob
Tip my hat off to ya. Bob

Ft hameltn awesome ace

Ft Tilden next time lol

It is all good no matter what as long as it is on video

Maybe. Ext time I will get to the r. Field. I respect the guys and kept my distance.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:04 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post

Cliff
See Tom Frank's response.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:53 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
327 Posts
More sea thermal flying. 1000 feet above take off at Labrador Bay. Bad brown green hunting at the end as I come into land. 16# version 1. very early one. with new v41 firmware. I'd never seen brown / green problem with this cam before . Could it be the v41? I have it set +1 saturation. And colour balance auto.

PS After landing the weird colours is Adobe effects, not thee cam!

Paragliding Labrador Bay on a cold grey day, but great Sea Thermals. Plus Mitsos Launch demo. (7 min 13 sec)
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:43 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,520 Posts
[QUOTE=bobflyman;22829721]More sea thermal flying. 1000 feet above take off at Labrador Bay. Bad brown green hunting at the end as I come into land. 16# version 1. very early one. with new v41 firmware. I'd never seen brown / green problem with this cam before . Could it be the v41? I have it set +1 saturation. And colour balance auto.

PS After landing the weird colours is Adobe effects, not thee cam!

/QUOTE]

Thanks for the ride... Was enjoying it to much to worry about any color shifting...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:18 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,912 Posts
are #16 lenses easy to swap or are they glued in like the cheapies?
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993