Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:14 PM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuno View Post
So I can't switch easily between battery to record more stuff?
I just would like to record more minutes but no continuous.

Thanks guys for your effort!
Try this. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8190
I am not shure if this will work with this #16 camera too, but with #3 it works. And if you give there a tiny switch, you can switch between small battery and between bigger battery which you can very easily disconnect if battery inside camera is using.
Azuritko is offline Find More Posts by Azuritko
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:17 PM
808 lover
Espaņa, CT, Barcelona
Joined Dec 2011
66 Posts
But that's just very complicated stuff at least it looks like. I just want to know if I can easily open the cam and put the full charged battery to record more footage.
If that would be possible we could record like the double of time.

I suppose if it has a connector it must be easy.
kasuno is offline Find More Posts by kasuno
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:48 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
What if you wanted to remove that weight and just fly it off the main battery? Could you use the bec on the esc or does it produce too much noise?

Does the battery have to be connected?
I've run #11 keycams off the BEC all the time with 0 issues.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:50 AM
Joined Dec 2011
28 Posts
Wide angle Lens request @ HobbyKing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
This is a sample video clip shot with a 120 deg. wide angle lens hacked into a #11 "BWM" Jumbo camera (see photo below). <EDIT>The most difficult (or impossible) part of this hack might be removing the stock lens! The early cameras had very lightly glued-in-place threaded lenses. Later they started using VERY solid bonding of the threads, making it virtually impossible to refocus or unscrew the lens from the module. Several have tried and broken the module or lens.<EDIT> The wide angle lens has threads that fit the stock CMOS module in the camera, so if you can removed the stock lens and add the new lens, the CMOS module can be relocated slightly aft in the camera case with a hole cut in the case to allow the lens to fit flush with the front of the camera case. The lens can be moved aft even more than shown (the case partially obstructs the view if too far back). Also, I think the lens would benefit from a lens hood on the front of the camera, both to block unwanted off-axis light from washing out the image, and to prevent inadvertent scratching of the lens. There is a bit of a "hazy" appearance in the video in diffused light, but some of that could be due to slight "burnishing" of the front lens surface lens coating from handling before I got it.

The focus is about as good as I could make it, but still shows degradation near the frame edges with a lot of fisheye distortion as expected with a 120 deg. lens. But the angle of view is about twice that of the stock lens, and might be suitable for some users needs.

If anyone is interested in this hack, I don't have any information on availability or cost of the lens yet (it was requested), or whether it might be sold as an accessory by one of the #11 vendors. The camera and lens was donated for my evaluation by Hxelepro360 (Diana's store) on eBay. If I get more information, I'll post it here, but make sure your Jumbo camera is one that has a removable stock lens before proceeding!

#11 Jumbo "Hero Wannabe"
An update on the mysterious Wide Angle lens:

It appears that the "HD Wing Camera" from HobbieKing.com is the same type as the prototype sent to Tom.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html

**{This cam has been mentioned before, but if your interested it does have a video out feature.
(although it's video is not on-par with the HD808 cams) }

This is the relative size to the 808 Cam:

The lens thread matches that of the 808 Camera modules

I started a forum thread as a petition for Hobbie King to supply the lens 'a la carte'

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...=162299#162299

If you are interested in adding this to your #16 cam (the only one 'guaranteed' to have a removable lens at this stage)
then you can leave a "me too" under this thread.

I'll see if I can get some video samples, If I get the chance to operate on one of my 808's. If not, I'll have some when my #16 comes
rcJosh is offline Find More Posts by rcJosh
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:40 AM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
Can someone please measure the angle of view and 35mm equiv. of the new #16?
From the comparison video it looks like the #11 gets about 10% more than the #16. If the #11 is like a 38mm lens, then the #16 is around 42mm (in 35mm terms).

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C8/ shows how to work it out, by seeing how much of a ruler/tape is caught from a known distance, using a bit of simple trig.

Seems a shame to lose that 10% of the useful wide angle that my #11's lens gives me, I think I'll stick with it and not 'upgrade'

Thanks
Type8 is offline Find More Posts by Type8
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:21 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type8 View Post
Can someone please measure the angle of view and 35mm equiv. of the new #16?
From the comparison video it looks like the #11 gets about 10% more than the #16. If the #11 is like a 38mm lens, then the #16 is around 42mm (in 35mm terms).

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C8/ shows how to work it out, by seeing how much of a ruler/tape is caught from a known distance, using a bit of simple trig.

Seems a shame to lose that 10% of the useful wide angle that my #11's lens gives me, I think I'll stick with it and not 'upgrade'

Thanks
You're almost bang on! A quick test gives me 42.6°, if I got everything squared up correctly. It's still worth the upgrade, IMO. Tom has told us that the manufacture tested many different lenses before he decided which one gave the best results in terms of picture quality. Simple trig? Maybe for you
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:18 AM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
then the #16 is around 42mm (in 35mm terms)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
You're almost bang on! A quick test gives me 42.6°
Thanks! Is that 42 degrees (horiz. angle of view) or 42 mm (35mm equiv)?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:25 AM
808 lover
Espaņa, CT, Barcelona
Joined Dec 2011
66 Posts
You could just put a wide angle lens or a fisheye lens.
But do you think if I use it for biking it would fall the fisheye?
kasuno is offline Find More Posts by kasuno
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:22 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Thanks for the replies and the No 16 video..

Iso=
Great reply to my query on the Audio buzz: as now fixed, And the fixed 5 Minute Loop mode recording time limit.. as well as all the other amplifying remarks on lots of other No 16 and your utility's features..

Tom,
excellent Night Video of the parade of lighted boats on the water.. I did not see the one here in San Diego of this same type event, but bet yours was just as good.. i particularly like the last Heli Santa..

I'm hoping to see a side by side day time video of a No 11 and a No 16 strapped onto the same recording platform, and sync'd shooting in your back yard .. or where ever.. .. I like Kodak colors from the No 11 so am eager to see this difference.. and hear about any significant differences in technique that may be needed while editing it's video file output..

Just went back and found your No11 post 7942.. and i like it especially when shooting into a the sky.. i will assume we are getting the On Steroids lens too..

BTW i requested the free No 16 battery and paid him for a couple No 11 batteries too.. and Peter said he would put them all in a box and ship as of yesterday..

Thanks guys for the great tips..
Regards, JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Last edited by jims123; Dec 20, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:33 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,344 Posts
The HK Wing lens has no vignetting or hotspot. It does have uneven focus, I adjusted for center at infinity, edges closer, that works if you want to see some of the plane in the foreground. I would like to see how the lens works on my #11, but I'll wait for rcJosh tests
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:51 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type8 View Post
Thanks! Is that 42 degrees (horiz. angle of view) or 42 mm (35mm equiv)?
That's degrees, exactly as noted on the ChuckLohr site.

15.6 cm shown at 20 cm distance.

Angle = ((15.6 / 2) / 20) [inv] [tan] = ~21.31 * 2 = 42.6°

HTH
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:06 AM
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
15.6 cm shown at 20 cm distance.
Angle = ((15.6 / 2) / 20) [inv] [tan] = ~21.31 * 2 = 42.6°
Brilliant, spot on, perfect

I used http://www.howardedin.com/articles/fov.html to calculate a list of values and found that's almost exactly a 46mm in 35mm terms.

That's a noticeable bit more tele than my 38mm #11, like putting a 1.2x teleconvertor on it, if I understand correctly how the maths works! Still a lot better than the 80-something mm fixed zoom of the #8 key though.
Last edited by Type8; Dec 21, 2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:41 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcJosh View Post
An update on the mysterious Wide Angle lens:

It appears that the "HD Wing Camera" from HobbieKing.com is the same type as the prototype sent to Tom.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html

**{This cam has been mentioned before, but if your interested it does have a video out feature.
(although it's video is not on-par with the HD808 cams) }

This is the relative size to the 808 Cam:

The lens thread matches that of the 808 Camera modules

I started a forum thread as a petition for Hobbie King to supply the lens 'a la carte'

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...=162299#162299

If you are interested in adding this to your #16 cam (the only one 'guaranteed' to have a removable lens at this stage)
then you can leave a "me too" under this thread.

I'll see if I can get some video samples, If I get the chance to operate on one of my 808's. If not, I'll have some when my #16 comes
The HK camera is not made by the same developer as the #11 & #16, so there is no direct correlation between circuit board components. The #11 & #16 have a 7mm lens thread, and I'm 99% sure the older SD resolution 808 cameras have a 6mm lens thread, so I'm skeptical that the HK lens will fit the #11 & #16 if you've confirmed it fits the older SD 808s. Let us know what you find out. If it does fit (without wobbling in the base), I'll be interested to see some video examples. I took some more sample clips in brighter light side-by-side with the #16 and #11 Jumbo with the 120 deg. lens to show the difference. I will post a composite side-by-side video when I get back from vacation.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:59 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Just went back and found your No11 post 7942.. and i like it especially when shooting into a the sky.. i will assume we are getting the On Steroids lens too..

BTW i requested the free No 16 battery and paid him for a couple No 11 batteries too.. and Peter said he would put them all in a box and ship as of yesterday..
Regards, JimS
The lens is the same in all the sample video I shot and posted in the #11 Thread for the pre-release #16. But, the firmware has been updated since that "on steroid" clip. That clip was broken into several sub-clips, each of which I did some (different) color correction onto get similar-looking clips. The updated firmware gives more consistent colors in the different lighting conditions I had when shooting those clips, so requires less manipulation. Those who like the over-saturated look may not be happy with the resulting video, even if it's closer to reality. In brighter light like I'm shooting in right now on vacation, the colors are brighter, but I'm seeing some other artifacts that might be problematic.

I've gotten some word that firmware is still being tweaked, and some improvement in the slower shutter speed we were seeing in the current firmware has been has been done. I have not yet received any updated firmware for testing, though.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:33 AM
DPN
Joined Jul 2004
309 Posts
I have some 1600 mAh - 2200 mAh single cell 3.7V Lipos that I have used with my #11 cameras, after adding a JST connector that I let hang out the rear of the camera like a "rat tail". I had the connector soldered to the same connections on the circuit board as the internal battery, so the external battery and the internal battery were parallel. I could get 5 hours of video with a 16 GB SD card. Not necessary on my planes but I also go on long bicycle rides and always record my rides, so I want a lightweight, helmet mountable external battery...

I am planning on building a "Y" connector for the #16 that would allow me to have the internal battery connected plus have the other leg of the "Y" hanging out the rear of the camera a la "rat tail" into which I would plug my external Lipos. I use a dedicated Lipo charger to charge the external batteries. I never have an external Lipo connected to the camera when using the USB charger with the camera.

I will leave the charge protection circuit on the internal battery, but my external batteries have no circuitry as they are charged by a Lipo charger. I assumed that a freshly charged external Lipo would charge and equalize the internal battery if it wasn't fully charged. Is that correct? Since it is no more than 4.2 V there's no way for it to overcharge the internal battery, correct?

Is there any danger of doing this? I would prefer NOT to use the USB port to connect an external battery pack, since that is looking for 5V and my charged Lipos are no more than 4.2V max. Plus, the USB plugs are bulky and heavy as well...

What am I missing? Thanks in advance...

DPN

Quote:
Just plug in an external USB battery pack and you're done! That's one thing the USB plug is for. At the same time you'll also be charging the internal battery. It can't get much simpler
DPN is offline Find More Posts by DPN