HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
It seems it is also very easy to make lofty assumptions about people, their abilities, and knowledge without having any actual information about the person whose intelligence they are insulting as well
There have been a number of similar requests in the past from people with absolutely no programming knowledge. I know there are a number of embedded programmers who visit this site, so I certainly didn't assume the poster did not have any programming knowledge whatsoever. However, it's not only the programming knowledge that counts, it's the knowledge of the processor, and, more importantly, the API (or whatever you want to call it). My reply had absolutely nothing to do with intelligence and was meant as a general reply to an often asked question.

Chances are 0.00000000....1% that someone has the appropriate knowledge to create a project like this. I also know fairly well the problems the developer has had, and NO OTHER person worldwide or company worldwide has produced a project that has anywhere near all the functionality the #16 now boasts. Or have you seen another 808 camera with such a sleek USB interface, for example? There is also no processor API publicly available as far as I am aware. I also know that the #16 developer is in close contact with the chip manufacturer..... And, of course, the developer also designed his own hardware.....

Given these facts I think my assumption is perfectly legitimate and certainly not lofty. One has to draw the line somewhere.

Of course there is always a tiny, minute chance that somebody else already has the knowledge and time to create such a project. There are always exceptions....

If you take it to the limits, most of the posts in this, and other threads, are only "assumptions"
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
YEAAAAAH!!!!

and thanks for that link airmob. it was quite interesting. while i am set up for 8051 (who isnt? lol!) i can see, like iso hinted, this is one can of worms few are qualifiied to open.

and thanks to skitchen and fyresg for bringing me up to speed on recent keycam developments. i wasnt even aware the had developed such excellent features like choice of resolution and vid out.
FWIW I tried for well over a week and some very long nights to disassemble the #3 ROM and got absolutely nowhere. It was much easier to find where the numerical character fonts were located and simply blank them out. The USB driver was absolutely terrible, so it was much easier to use a programmer to access the SPI.

I bricked 2 of my #3s in my vain attempts to modify the firmware.

Sorry, totally off-topic.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:10 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
sorry but... better you than me!
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:21 AM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
huh. works fine for video. no glitches record as much as I want.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying circus View Post
I ordered a new #16 v1 after the v2 was available, paid the lower price and got no video cables. I'm assuming I was sent a v1 but am not certain of that. My firmware update experience was a couple of blinks at the beginning and nothing after that. The first 41 attempt failed because I held the power button too long. The second attempt succeeded by getting off the power button very fast, smooth sailing after that.

Is there an easy way to determine if I'm working with a v1 or v2? (I'm not cracking the case open until it's required to replace a battery.)

Our manufacturer needs a brand name to distinguish himself from everyone else. The Chinese makers seem to avoid that. May be there are legal and regulatory issues in China we don't know about. May be the problem is poor copyright protection or burdensome regulations related to having a DBA or...
There is no way to determine if you have V1 or V2 without opening the case EXCEPT by trying it out! If you can solder, and have the 5-pin USB plugs, then connect pin #4 and pin #5 (ground) to a composite jack / cable. Don't forget to enable Video-Out in the GUI. If you don't have the plug but are skilled in handling tiny connections you could try soldering two needles to the end of a composite cable and carefully push these into the USB socket (pin #4 and pin #5). Be very careful not to short anything. Be aware that I DO NOT recommend you doing this, it's just an option you have.

It would be much easier and safer to order a cable from the seller.

If you bought your camera from one of the sellers listed at the beginning of this thread I would expect your chances of having a V2 pretty good. The V2 was in production about a month before it was announced, but I don't know how much stock of V1 cameras the seller had at the time you purchased your model.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:34 PM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
huh. works fine for video. no glitches record as much as I want.
Quote from Isoprop's list:
Three users (FIVE cards) (here, here and here) have reported problems with Sandisk 16GB Class 4 cards. This is the only Class 4 card with known problems. The camera most probably has nothing to do with the problem, but these cards suddenly flip to write-protect and thus become unusable. There is no way you can format or use these cards once they become write protected. Your only hope is to exchange them on warranty.

If I had the same card as you, I wouldn't risk using it in this camera.
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:45 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
yeah already switched back to the samsung. its not like I can possibly fill either one in a day of flying :-)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:51 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
There is no way to determine if you have V1 or V2 without opening the case EXCEPT by trying it out! If you can solder, and have the 5-pin USB plugs, then connect pin #4 and pin #5 (ground) to a composite jack / cable. Don't forget to enable Video-Out in the GUI. If you don't have the plug but are skilled in handling tiny connections you could try soldering two needles to the end of a composite cable and carefully push these into the USB socket (pin #4 and pin #5). Be very careful not to short anything. Be aware that I DO NOT recommend you doing this, it's just an option you have.

It would be much easier and safer to order a cable from the seller.

If you bought your camera from one of the sellers listed at the beginning of this thread I would expect your chances of having a V2 pretty good. The V2 was in production about a month before it was announced, but I don't know how much stock of V1 cameras the seller had at the time you purchased your model.
I believe all cameras shipped in late July and thereafter were V2
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
yeah already switched back to the samsung. its not like I can possibly fill either one in a day of flying :-)
Wise move I think, maybe the upcoming firmware Tom mentioned will solve the problem.

BTW, did you see the PM I sent you yesterday?
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:01 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
Wise move I think, maybe the upcoming firmware Tom mentioned will solve the problem.
I'd like to know that, too. It's VERY strange that the card would prevent the FW from reading a specific FW file, unless it was corrupted, yet function normally otherwise.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Tip about unwanted recycle bins

Coincidental to breaking in a new #16 and new micro SD card Windows XP decided to put a recycle bin on the SD card, which I didn't want. I found that right clicking 'recycle bin' and going to properties allows disabling recycle bin for specific drives. I did that, no more recycle bin on my SD card.
flying circus is offline Find More Posts by flying circus
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, TX, Colleyville
Joined Jul 2012
52 Posts
808 Mounting Location

Where do most of you place the 808 #16 with wide angle lens on your airplanes? I just received mine today. I'm not sure the best mounting spot, but I'd like video without seeing any of the the actually plane. I was going to try it out on my PZ T-28 Trojan and next on a PZ Icon A5. Recommended mounting spots and techniques for mounting?

If mounting on the wing, do you mount above or below to least effect flight characteristics?

Does placing the 808 further out toward wing-tip make it impossible to fly most planes?

Thanks!
Oetboy is offline Find More Posts by Oetboy
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:52 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oetboy View Post
Where do most of you place the 808 #16 with wide angle lens on your airplanes? I just received mine today. I'm not sure the best mounting spot, but I'd like video without seeing any of the the actually plane. I was going to try it out on my PZ T-28 Trojan and next on a PZ Icon A5. Recommended mounting spots and techniques for mounting?

If mounting on the wing, do you mount above or below to least effect flight characteristics?

Does placing the 808 further out toward wing-tip make it impossible to fly most planes?

Thanks!
Top of the canopy facing forward is good. Unless you don't want to see the prop.

If you want to mount it on the wing, just move it out about 4-5" for a clear frontal view in-flight. Just remember to trim it once you take-off. The weight/drag will be minimal, but it will still need adjusting.

The tail is a great place too. It's up high and it's easy to velcro/tape on. Just move the battery up an inch or so to compensate for a slightly aft CG.

It's fun experimenting with different views!

Enjoy,

-Buzzed

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:04 AM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
I place my cams a few inches from the fuse on the leading edge of the wing facing slightly OUT and DOWN if I wish to "orbit" my targets or just slight down if I plan to overfly my targets.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:19 AM
Switzerland, BE, Berne
Joined Jun 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oetboy View Post

Thanks!
I have the camera mounted INSIDE the canopy of my Dynam T-28 Trojan. I like the perspective. Had to replace the windshield part of the canopy with clear plexi (I actually used an old CD cover for that). See my "Inside a Trojan Plane" vid if you like:
Inside a Trojan Plane (9 min 55 sec)
wenigtelefoniere is offline Find More Posts by wenigtelefoniere