SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:16 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
well the firmware IS their and its in the root of the memory card (no folder no zip file the BIN file) and it goes RED not YELLOW when I TOUCH the power button. short long whatever press. this is the name and case of the file

FWMICDVR.BIN - its 1,181,926 bytes

suggestions?

I figured it out. it was the memory card. apparently "some" memory cards it simply won't work properly for whatever reason.

on a hunch I tried a difference memory card (samsung (6) 8gb) and it did exactly as indicated yellow first flash release several flashes nothing few seconds later red flash done.

SO if you have trouble flashing try a difference memory card :-)
There are quite a few memory cards that cause problems, most are CL 10 cards, with several being CL 6. But most just stop recording shortly after beginning a recording, not abort a FW install. The bad card list is the FAQs in post #3... yours might be one of them, or maybe a different one.

Anyway, the good news is that a new FW is being tested right now that so far has made all the problem cards now work with the camera... see my recent post asking for volunteers to test the new FW code. We need more testers for the known problem cards named in my recent post that have not already been tested. If you, or anyone else with a card that does not work, wants to test the new FW to see if the card works with it, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the test FW.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:36 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
may i ask who is actually writing this firmware? is there source available?
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Glad you got it working.

Since the cam has like a two stage on:

A) if you SHORT PRESS the button a red light comes on for a split second

B) If you LONG PRESS the button you turn the cam on ready for video.

SOme say do not confuse people by saying tap?

Firmware loading could have been made better like:
pc on create folder called SYSTEM, Place bin file in... When finished delete SYSTE FOLDER anytime after or leave till next update, and replace bin. Been around for a few years this way vs, the confusion people have.It seems inhouse formats are the way to go on any cam.
You described the normal operating mode. This is NOT the way it works when there is a valid firmware file in the camera root directory, because the camera boot code FIRST looks for the FW file. If it finds one, it immediately goes to the FW install routine and starts blinking the yellow LED rapidly, and then shuts down. The normal operating mode is NEVER reached.

With V1 cameras, the yellow LED blinks continuously until the FW is installed, then the yellow LED turns off and the camera shuts down about 10 seconds later (no red LED blink). With V2 cameras, the yellow LED starts blinking rapidly for a few seconds, then stops (for unknown reasons) for several more seconds until the FW install is complete, then very briefly blinks the red LED at the end of the install process (don't blink, or you will miss it!).

It would be nice if the install LED blinking were the same on both camera versions, but right now it isn't. For me, it's still a very simple process, and I think way too much is being read into the subjective terms "push", "short press", "long press", or "tap" when it comes to installing the FW. If you simply look at the camera LED hole when you push down on the power button, it should start blinking the yellow LED immediately. When you see the yellow LED start to blink, release the power button, and simply wait for 15 seconds or so if you don't trust the LED indication. Then delete the firmware file on the card before using it again. Done!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:47 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
may i ask who is actually writing this firmware? is there source available?
The camera developer's team writes and compiles the FW. It's not open source nor shared.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:49 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Grrr :-)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Open source wouldn't help you in the least! Programming these cameras requires knowledge that only very few people have, and if you don't have excellent connections to the chip manufacturer, and I expect speak fluent Chinese, there's no chance of getting anywhere. It's very easy for people with no knowledge of the processor chip to ask for open source but it just wouldn't work.

About a year ago someone started an open source project for the #3. They got as far as being able to blink one of the LEDs I think this example tells the whole story......
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:08 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
i am an expert embedded programmer with considerable experience on omnivision sensors but what you say is probably true. ive been down that road before. just getting tools up and running is probably not worth it. just out of curiosity any link to that #3 attempt?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:24 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
just out of curiosity any link to that #3 attempt?
http://www.chucklohr.com/808/C3/#C3OpenSourceFwProj
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:26 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Open source wouldn't help you in the least! Programming these cameras requires knowledge that only very few people have, and if you don't have excellent connections to the chip manufacturer, and I expect speak fluent Chinese, there's no chance of getting anywhere. It's very easy for people with no knowledge of the processor chip to ask for open source but it just wouldn't work.

About a year ago someone started an open source project for the #3. They got as far as being able to blink one of the LEDs I think this example tells the whole story......
It seems it is also very easy to make lofty assumptions about people, their abilities, and knowledge without having any actual information about the person whose intelligence they are insulting as well
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
With V1 cameras, the yellow LED blinks continuously until the FW is installed, then the yellow LED turns off and the camera shuts down about 10 seconds later (no red LED blink). With V2 cameras, the yellow LED starts blinking rapidly for a few seconds, then stops (for unknown reasons) for several more seconds until the FW install is complete, then very briefly blinks the red LED at the end of the install process (don't blink, or you will miss it!).
I ordered a new #16 v1 after the v2 was available, paid the lower price and got no video cables. I'm assuming I was sent a v1 but am not certain of that. My firmware update experience was a couple of blinks at the beginning and nothing after that. The first 41 attempt failed because I held the power button too long. The second attempt succeeded by getting off the power button very fast, smooth sailing after that.

Is there an easy way to determine if I'm working with a v1 or v2? (I'm not cracking the case open until it's required to replace a battery.)

Our manufacturer needs a brand name to distinguish himself from everyone else. The Chinese makers seem to avoid that. May be there are legal and regulatory issues in China we don't know about. May be the problem is poor copyright protection or burdensome regulations related to having a DBA or...
flying circus is offline Find More Posts by flying circus
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:39 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quist View Post
Buzzed,

Video looks great on my iPad. We should strap it to a jet.
Yeah, it would look great on the tail looking forward!

A low four-point roll down the runway would be amazing.

P.S. Do you still have an electric jet? Electrics make for smooooth video.
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
The choice is entirely yours
The GUI only warns you that you are running an outdated firmware version.

Personally, I highly recommend you install v0.41. The new USB interface makes changing the parameters and/or setting the time so much easier. If you want to keep your current parameters you don't need to write them down. Simply create a profile which will save your current settings. When you update to v0.41, select the profile you previously created, and then click the "Write Data To Drive" button. Your camera will now be configured exactly like in the previous version.

If you are running v0.36 maybe now is the time to download the firmware onto your PC. You can do this using the latest GUI (vers. 3.0.1.2), so there's no need to do anything by hand any more. If you want to go back to v0.36 you'll then have the old firmware on your PC. I can't imagine anyone wanting to go back to a previous firmware version except for testing purposes.

The quality of the video will be exactly the same in v0.41 as it was in v0.36 if you use the same parameters, but you may be able to get it even better by tweaking one or two parameters in the "Advanced Image Settings" tab
Thank you for all the info and the quick response!

-Buzzed
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
the problem card for doing the firmware update was my regular card for these units. sandisk (4) 16gb.

works fine for making video but the camera flat out ignored the firmware. in reality the instructions make sense when the camera's behaves as expected. ie it goes to 'blinking" pretty quickly.

my case was unusual because the card obviously caused it trouble. next firmware update I will try the incam format and see how it goes.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
It seems it is also very easy to make lofty assumptions about people, their abilities, and knowledge without having any actual information about the person whose intelligence they are insulting as well
YEAAAAAH!!!!

and thanks for that link airmob. it was quite interesting. while i am set up for 8051 (who isnt? lol!) i can see, like iso hinted, this is one can of worms few are qualifiied to open.

and thanks to skitchen and fyresg for bringing me up to speed on recent keycam developments. i wasnt even aware the had developed such excellent features like choice of resolution and vid out.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:24 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
the problem card for doing the firmware update was my regular card for these units. sandisk (4) 16gb.
That card is listed as problematic here.
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob