HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:50 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raphman View Post
I would like to try out 808s for IR tracking.
Is the IR cutoff filter on lens D on the inside?
Is it easily removable?
Sorry if I missed any previous answers to these questions - I couldn't find any definitive statements using the search form.

Thank you for this great resource!
On some cameras the IR filter seems to be glued on the rear of the lense. I accidentally screwed a lense right out of one of mine and the IR lense fell off. Easy to remove provided you can get the glue out of the lense thread to unscrew it. The video showing the effect of removing the IR filter is below. This cam was the original v11 HD, edit no I think it was the 808 SD 3# version.

On the 16 V2 'red lense' version, the IR seems to be the front element. Not sure how easy?

Wobbly test 808 key chain (MD80 clone) mini DV camera without internal infrared filter lense (1 min 39 sec)
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Last edited by bobflyman; Sep 18, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:10 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
If you use your external LiPo, connect it to the battery socket. You'll have to thread the wires to the outside world and make your connection there.

Remember you will lose the date and time settings each time you disconnect the battery and don't expect long recording times with a 160mAh battery.
I think not103 is already using the 160mAh battery and trying to charge using the camera. Can the camera handle charging an alien battery, could that be the green led problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by not103 View Post
At the moment I'm using a different battery than the one shipped. I'm using a turnigy 1s 160mah
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Last edited by airmob; Sep 18, 2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Ok, good to know about the +5v.. about the wires this one works great (be careful on polarity).

My plan is to share the same battery between the plane and the camera, (1s 600mah) making a Y plug, but with the problem of short video the camera is useless... if with the 5v external power is ok I need some workaround to power the camera!

Ps. firmware is 0.41 mov
A Y-Plug should work but you'll have to test how long the battery will last before you are airborn. My previous reply was to a 160mAh LiPo which was most probably a typo on your part. 600mAh is much more reasonable but I don't know how much power your quad consumes. Only tests will tell you how long is "safe".

I don't usually replace the internal battery but have often used Y-cables for powering two cameras from a common USB battery.

If you want to convert a lower voltage to 5V you'll need a step-up DC-to-DC power converter, but you'll be losing a small amount of power during the step-up process.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:15 AM
Italy
Joined Mar 2009
128 Posts
Quote:
A Y-Plug should work but you'll have to test how long the battery will last before you are airborn. My previous reply was to a 160mAh LiPo which was most probably a typo on your part. 600mAh is much more reasonable but I don't know how much power your quad consumes. Only tests will tell you how long is "safe".

I don't usually replace the internal battery but have often used Y-cables for powering two cameras from a common USB battery.

If you want to convert a lower voltage to 5V you'll need a step-up DC-to-DC power converter, but you'll be losing a small amount of power during the step-up process.
Do you know at what voltage the camera self power off??
Can the extension cord cause a problem to the charging circuit?
not103 is offline Find More Posts by not103
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmob View Post
I think not103 is already using the 160mAh battery and trying to charge using the camera. Can the camera handle charging a alien battery, could that be the green led problem?
I didn't understand it like that, but I still can't see how the green LED is linked to the power button. The green LED is only used by the voltage regulator circuitry. I don't see any problems in charging the 160mAh (or is it 600mAh?) battery except that the battery protection circuitry may not exist in the alien battery.

If I'm not mixed up, I believe the original problem was very short video clips. To rule out a battery problem, the camera should be powered using external USB power.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Do you know at what voltage the camera self power off??
Can the extension cord cause a problem to the charging circuit?
May I refer you to a "power" posting I wrote 9 months ago. I think it may contain some information that could be useful to you.

Cutoff is around 3.4V / 3.5V

A "short" extension cord should be OK, but the diameter of the wires also plays an important role. I can't reply to this in general, but yes, a long cable with very thin wires will have adverse effect on the charging circuitry.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined May 2010
9 Posts
#16 HD cam as permanent car cam?

I'm planing to install this camera with 32Gb card in car windshield (front glass) with USB cable permanently connected.

Will set Loop Recording and Auto Record option. But still need to push record every time I'm entering car.

Do U think it's possible to add funcionality that camera will start recording everytime we are putting key into ignition?

Regards

Tomasz
customizer is offline Find More Posts by customizer
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by customizer View Post
I'm planing to install this camera with 32Gb card in car windshield (front glass) with USB cable permanently connected.

Will set Loop Recording and Auto Record option. But still need to push record every time I'm entering car.

Do U think it's possible to add funcionality that camera will start recording everytime we are putting key into ignition?

Regards

Tomasz
This has been requested quite a few times but I have my doubts if it is possible with the current hardware design. No one can give you an answer, but as you may know, the developer monitors this thread.

You can add a tiny microcontroller as is described here, but you will need good soldering skills and very basic knowledge in electronics and programming.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:02 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,481 Posts
Quote:
May I refer you to a "power" posting I wrote 9 months ago. I think it may contain some information that could be useful to you.

Cutoff is around 3.4V / 3.5V

A "short" extension cord should be OK, but the diameter of the wires also plays an important role. I can't reply to this in general, but yes, a long cable with very thin wires will have adverse effect on the charging circuitry.
Your post referenced says 3.7v cutoff. I measured 3.6v for #11 FWIW.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:23 AM
Italy
Joined Mar 2009
128 Posts
Quote:
I didn't understand it like that, but I still can't see how the green LED is linked to the power button. The green LED is only used by the voltage regulator circuitry. I don't see any problems in charging the 160mAh (or is it 600mAh?) battery except that the battery protection circuitry may not exist in the alien battery.

If I'm not mixed up, I believe the original problem was very short video clips. To rule out a battery problem, the camera should be powered using external USB power.
I don't know if the camera can charge my thiny 160mah, to be sure I full charged it by external charger.

Yes the original problem is very short videoclip. This evening I will test recording with external usb power and I'll post the result!
not103 is offline Find More Posts by not103
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadescedric View Post
thank you for these links in French, but that does not solve my problem of recording time ...
Can you help me please?
hadescedric is offline Find More Posts by hadescedric
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:40 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Well, you must be using a very old PC if you have resource issues with the GUI
not so much old as small. my eeep netbook has very limited ssd. and there are some java issue but mostly i try to avoid use of windows alltogether when possible. normally i like to use defaults but looks unavoidable here because i need low res and video out.

actually im somewhat experienced with keycams and gumcams but a little behind times. i have no problem updating firmware but im sure your excellent summary will help somebody.

Quote:
But, yes, of course you can do it the hard way and edit the SYSCFG.TXT file by hand.

Post #4 shows an example, but later firmware versions have a lot more options.
"hard way" is in the eye of the beholder. for me editing a txt file is much easier. requires 1/1000th the disk space and cpu throughput too. btw from what i can tell post #4 has no information on enabling video out. but your cfg info, wherever it came from, is exactly what i needed to know. thanks.

one more. do you know what firmware comes with the eletoponline365 16v2 camera? is video out enabled?
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
not so much old as small. my eeep netbook has very limited ssd. and there are some java issue but mostly i try to avoid use of windows alltogether when possible. normally i like to use defaults but looks unavoidable here because i need low res and video out.

actually im somewhat experienced with keycams and gumcams but a little behind times. i have no problem updating firmware but im sure your excellent summary will help somebody.

"hard way" is in the eye of the beholder. for me editing a txt file is much easier. requires 1/1000th the disk space and cpu throughput too. btw from what i can tell post #4 has no information on enabling video out. but your cfg info, wherever it came from, is exactly what i needed to know. thanks.

one more. do you know what firmware comes with the eletoponline365 16v2 camera? is video out enabled?
The config file came straight from my camera this morning!

I expect current cameras from eletoponline365 will come with v0.36 because v0.41 is only 6 days old and still BETA. I don't think it really matters though. Video-out will almost certainly NOT be enabled.

Coming from a pre-DOS age I still do a LOT of editing of files by hand, but just the plug-and-play capability of v0.41 makes it much faster to read and write data than to create and save a text file. I can assure you it's now much faster and convenient to use the GUI than doing the whole process by hand. I agree that before v0.41 both methods could be equally fast.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
On some cameras the IR filter seems to be glued on the rear of the lense.
Thanks for reply and video. I have a #3 (with removed IR filter) but would like to try out a #16 with wide-angle lens (model D). Does anyone, by chance, know whether the IR filter is on the front or on the rear on the lens D?
raphman is offline Find More Posts by raphman
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:21 AM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Can you help me please?
Quote:
It's FAT32. I don't know my firmware
Have you formatted the SD card using the "Nr16Setup" software or the method here?
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob