Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:02 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Fishy
Twaz brylig and the slythy tobes did guire and gimple in the wabe and the momgraphs out grabe,
My vorpel blade doeth go snickersnack, Beware the jabberwaki my friend.

Similar information content to your post.
lnlol Mike
and the borogroves were all mimsy, too!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
Is there a way how to improve "too much dark" scenes via modification of the firmware?
Increase the exposure (lighter) and/or decrease the contrast.

But without knowing what your scene was like, these may or may not help. There is a minimum light level below which nothing helps...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
When I opened the camera today (been sitting 24hours) the voltage was 0.34 volt. I suppose the LiPo is dead by now despite being able to charge up to 3V (and maybe further). If the (new) battery is (also) dead, that may explain why the PC can't load the drivers and recognize the camera?

No visible solder bridges.

Right now, I can't think of anything else than fitting a new battery and measure the stand-by current. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Oh s***. I forgot to insert the memory card in the bad camera before trying above (loading the profile). I inserted the card and went about the firmware update for this one as well. But I must be getting tired; somewhere along the process, I must have pushed a wrong buttom. Now the camera is in a silly state, where it just flashes green rapidly for a sec or two, gives a very short red blink and then goes normal charging green again. I better stop for tonight...

thanks
OK, you've confirmed the battery is indeed incapable of powering the camera... it will shut down when the voltage drops to about 3.7V (+ or-). I hope that is a typo (.34V) and you really meant 3.4V. The battery protection circuit should stop all battery current when the voltage drops to just under 3V). If it's truly .34V, the battery is wasted... throw it away after shorting the terminals to make sure it is fully dead!. The current when recording is close to 300 mA.

You may just have a defective camera. In that case, contact your vendor for a replacement.

If the camera is not responding to any button presses, do a cold boot (disconnect the battery, wait 30 seconds, then reconnect and restart the camera.)
Last edited by Tom Frank; Sep 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clarified battery voltage and current
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:30 PM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
597 Posts
OK. Will try.

Here is another video from same day. FW 0.41 beta.
(Part 2) RC Airplane (FPV) Flight - Dálkově řízený let (z pohledu pilota) modelem letadla (7 min 2 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Increase the exposure (lighter) and/or decrease the contrast.

But without knowing what your scene was like, these may or may not help. There is a minimum light level below which nothing helps...
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:42 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,885 Posts
Does anyone have a flight video/ground recording of the video out?
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2012
178 Posts
Couple of weeks ago I had a misfortune with my #16 v1, I dropped it on the ground and forgot it there overnight. It was rainy, and the device is not working correctly. I dried it in an oven before turning it on.

After I power it on, the yellow light stays on for a moment and then red light flashes three times, and then the camera turns off. I have tried everything, resetting the camera, removing battery, flashing with firmware, nothing seems to work...

I already purchased a new v2 D-lens camera. Actually I prefer the picture quality and field of view of the old camera with 0.67x wide angle lens attached. The D-lens is a little bit too wide angle to my liking... Of course the new camera is more "convenient", because the lens is less bulky and more securely attached.
Fintastic is offline Find More Posts by Fintastic
Last edited by Fintastic; Sep 17, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintastic View Post
Couple of weeks ago I had a misfortune with my #16 v1, I dropped it on the ground and forgot it there overnight. It was rainy, and the device is not working correctly. I dried it in an oven before turning it on.

After I power it on, the yellow light stays on for a moment and then red light flashes three times, and then the camera turns off. I have tried everything, resetting the camera, removing battery, flashing with firmware, nothing seems to work...
You didn't mention if you first tried charging the battery until the green LED goes out, or if that doesn't help, putting in a new fully charged battery. And finally, using the external car charger to power the camera to see if it works. Worth testing to rule out a wasted battery as being the problem.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined May 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
You didn't mention if you first tried charging the battery until the green LED goes out, or if that doesn't help, putting in a new fully charged battery. And finally, using the external car charger to power the camera to see if it works. Worth testing to rule out a wasted battery as being the problem.
I doubt battery is the problem, but I will try charging it again.

By the way the device doesn't even work as a flash drive when connected to USB. (Yellow led turns on, then red led flashes three times, then it goes back to charging mode.)
Fintastic is offline Find More Posts by Fintastic
Last edited by Fintastic; Sep 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:20 AM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
ahh I guess that would work for you normals tom :-) won't work for freaks like me :-) I only have one eye (the other ones broken) hehehe :-)
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:15 AM
Joined May 2012
11 Posts
I have an interesting result to report.

I had set my camera to autorecord on startup, but I accidentally turned it on without noticing. The first time seems have to drained the battery completely. I checked the files and it produced the maximum amount of recording the battery could give, including a frame grab at the end. The frame grab is garbage (totally corrupted colours, just a mess of green, blue and red). This leads me to believe it generated it when it ran out of charge?

The second time, I started it but it only recorded for 20 seconds before creating a frame grab and turning off.

This leads me to believe that the TOPRAM microSD card I am using is not being flipped to write-protected when the battery dies.

I may try testing this later.

If I am correct, this is quite good. Thought I'd share it.
Hadakajime is offline Find More Posts by Hadakajime
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:28 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
ive read post #1-#5 but aside from small reference to video out saw no details. did i miss something? and gui is not an option for me due to resource issues. i really need a low res (640) camera for fpv.

so my question is can video out on #16 v2 be enabled via txt file? any info on how? what is the default?
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:54 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadakajime View Post
I have an interesting result to report.

I had set my camera to autorecord on startup, but I accidentally turned it on without noticing. The first time seems have to drained the battery completely. I checked the files and it produced the maximum amount of recording the battery could give, including a frame grab at the end. The frame grab is garbage (totally corrupted colours, just a mess of green, blue and red). This leads me to believe it generated it when it ran out of charge?

The second time, I started it but it only recorded for 20 seconds before creating a frame grab and turning off.

This leads me to believe that the TOPRAM microSD card I am using is not being flipped to write-protected when the battery dies.

I may try testing this later.

If I am correct, this is quite good. Thought I'd share it.
This sort of information is always interesting, but I believe your camera performs (almost) perfectly normally

The firmware monitors the voltage and notices when the internal battery reaches a critical level and will save the last video clip. There should never be a problem with a "flipped to write-protected" card when using the internal power.

I have lost 5 cards so far which have flipped to read only, but on each occasion I have been using external USB battery power. This leads me to believe the voltage drops too quickly for the firmware to react. All my cards were new-generation Sandisk. I have never had problems with other cards, but have to admit that I am now being much more careful that my external power isn't suddenly depleted. Luckily I can get a refund for the defective cards, but I won't be buying any more of these cards until Sandisk resolves the bug in their card's controller.

There's no problem if you suddenly disconnect the external power because the internal battery will take over. As long as the internal battery isn't also depleted, your card should never become damaged.

Occasionally I also get an extra garbage file when power runs out, but it's very rare. Maybe it depends on the state of the battery, or even the type of card?
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:01 AM
Italy
Joined Mar 2009
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
The symptoms are typical of a "problematic card" but could also result from a full card. Use the GUI and format the card in the "Tools" dialog or manually In-Camera format the card.
Tested with a brand new samsung 4gb class 4 card, same result.
3 files with almost the same size: 15 Mb.

The strange thing is that when I disconnect the camera from USB the green led stay on, I must push the power button to switch it off.
not103 is offline Find More Posts by not103
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:14 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
ive read post #1-#5 but aside from small reference to video out saw no details. did i miss something? and gui is not an option for me due to resource issues. i really need a low res (640) camera for fpv.

so my question is can video out on #16 v2 be enabled via txt file? any info on how? what is the default?
Well, you must be using a very old PC if you have resource issues with the GUI

But, yes, of course you can do it the hard way and edit the SYSCFG.TXT file by hand. Post #4 shows an example, but later firmware versions have a lot more options.

The file is generated as follows.
1. Make sure the camera's battery is fully charged.
2. Disconnect the camera and wait until it turns off.
3. Press the SHUTTER button and keep it pressed.
4. Press the POWER button and keep it pressed.
5. Wait at least 10 seconds until all the LEDs are OFF.
6. Now release both buttons.

You may now connect the camera and edit the file.

The file is saved back into the camera by exactly the same method. When the firmware has loaded the parameters it will delete the file.

The default setting is video-out disabled.

Here's the default contents of firmware v0.41.

Code:
Date time=[2012/09/18-09:03:09];date time setting,format yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss,
Movie resolution=[0];Movie resolution setting,0:720p 30fps,1:wvga 30fps,2:vga 30fps,
Movie cycle time=[1];movie cycle time,0:5 minutes,1:20 minutes,2:40 minutes,3: 70 minutes,
movie Loop Recording=[0];set loop recording on or off,0:off,1:on,
Movie stamp=[1];set date / time stamp on or off,0:off,1:on,
Movie sound=[2];set movie sound,0:mute,1:level 1,2:level 2,3:level 3,
LED=[0];set LED flicker when recording,0:off,1:on,
Movie quality=[1];set movie quality,set movie data rate,0:10 Mbps,1:7 Mbps,
Power off=[1];set system auto power off time when system pending,0:off,1:30 seconds,2:1 minutes,3:2 minutes,
Movie Flip=[0];set movie rotate,0:off,1:on,
TV out=[0];set Tv out,0:off,1:on,
Capture Size=[0];set photo size,0:1280x960,1:1280x720,
Auto Record=[0];set movie auto record,0:off,1:on,
Exposure Value=[2];Exposure compensation,0:-2EV,1:-1EV,2:0EV,3:+1EV,4:+2EV
White Balance=[0];Set White Balance,0:Auto,1:Daylight,2:Cloudy,3:Tungsten,4:Fluorescent,
Contrast=[2];Set Contrast,0:-2,1:-1,2:Normal,3:+1,4:+2,
Color Effect=[0];Set Color Effect,0:Standard,1:Mono,2:Sepia,3:Cooler,4:Cool,5:Warm,6:Warmer,
Saturation=[2];Set Image Staturation,0:-2,1:-1,2:Normal,3:+1,4:+2,
{MicroDVR mov 2012/09/11 v0.41}
Last edited by Isoprop; Sep 18, 2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by not103 View Post
Tested with a brand new samsung 4gb class 4 card, same result.
3 files with almost the same size: 15 Mb.

The strange thing is that when I disconnect the camera from USB the green led stay on, I must push the power button to switch it off.
Sounds as if it could be a battery or battery charging problem, but something is VERY fishy here. The green LED cannot be controlled by the power switch!!!!! Are you 100% sure you have a #16?

If the green LED stays on it means the battery is charging. Have you tried recording while the camera is connected to an external USB power supply (not your PC)?

If you don't have an external power supply, start your recording and then connect the camera to your PC. You'll have to be quick and make the connection before the camera turns off!