Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:14 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
Hello,

Has anyone experienced any fogging of their lenses? I had a small speck on mine and attempted to clean it with a q-tip and some windex.. The speck is still there but the video out, is now quite hazy.. Did I just ruin it ? If so, can you buy just the replacement lenses? If so, could someone please provide the link ?

much appreciated

Paul
You may have scratched the lens. Post 2 mentions sources for lens modules... available from your camera vendor, but they may not be shown on their web pages. If not email them via their eBay link to order what you want.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Sep 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: corrected post number and added more info
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:26 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Leo View Post
Everyone,

I had a catastrophic engine failure on my model rocket.

The force was so great it dislodged the micro SD card from the socket while it was recording.

I used the program in the FAQ to fix the corrupt file but it only recovers 50%.

Could someone give it a try and recover 100% of the file.

Here the link to the file (40MB): http://www.leo.nutz.de/temp/MINI0006.MOV

Many thanks,

Leo
The free version of that program only recovers 1/2 the video by design.... so you can see how it works without having to buy the full version. BUT, if you append a copy of the broken file to itself first, then load that double file into the recovery program, you often can retrieve the whole thing, but you might lose the audio.

If you are adept with the command line interface, open a command prompt, and use the copy command as follows:

copy /b brokenfile.mov + brokenfile.mov joinedbrokenfile.mov

The /b switch does a binary copy, and the .mov file names would be your broken file name and your choice of the double joined file name.

Load the joinedbrokenfile.mov clip into the repair program, pick a good .mov file from the camera for comparison during the repair, and click the scan button to complete the repair.

Use Avidemux (File/Open menu) to load in the broken file, then append the same file to itself (File/Append menu). Then set the VIDEO setting to "Copy", the AUDIO setting to MP3 (lame), and the output FORMAT to "MP4", and save the file to a new name. Load that file into the recovery program and it should restore the whole program, but as said, maybe with no audio (better than nothing).

p.s. I was unable to view or download your file from the link you posted.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Sep 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added p.s.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
24 Posts
Tom, youíre a genius!

Reconstruction of the video is good. Sound is not in sync and garbled but thatís not important.

I used the copy /b function.

Thanks so much for all your work!

Leo

PS: File download works on my side.
///Leo is offline Find More Posts by ///Leo
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:01 PM
NE Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2011
322 Posts
Tom,

I looked thru Posts 1-5 and can't find a specific link to any replacement lenses.. The photos which detail the individual lenses is a description only and do not provide a hyperlink.. Any additional thoughts or can someone else assist ?

thanks,

-Paul
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:15 PM
igi
Easy Glider
Hildesheim, Germany
Joined Nov 2002
130 Posts
you made my day pal, thanks so much!!
best regards from
igi (Germany)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldas2112 View Post
igi is offline Find More Posts by igi
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
Tom,

I looked thru Posts 1-5 and can't find a specific link to any replacement lenses.. The photos which detail the individual lenses is a description only and do not provide a hyperlink.. Any additional thoughts or can someone else assist ?

thanks,

-Paul
Post #2 (not #1 as I mis-stated) says "replacement parts such as batteriess, lenses, etc. are available from the camera sellers". They may or may not be shown on their web site pages, though, and the pages change, so posting links directly to them is not reliable. Just email the seller via their eBay web page link if they don't show them, and you can get them.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:43 PM
France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Oignies
Joined Dec 2008
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
i would really really really love to see a firmware update that auto turns on when power is applied externally and turns off when external power is lost.

Ie mount in the car. Plug in external power to ignition on power source. Forget about it. To have it then auto turn on and off as power is applied and removed externally.

Just that alone and i would rapidly order 6-8 more of these camera's (for each of our cars and 2 for my car)

auto start is already enabled. Segment and auto loop is already enabled in firmware. Ie everything we need is there we just need auto start when power is applied.

We don't even really "need" auto stop since it will run out of power 35 minutes after you turn off external power anyway.

That would make this a truly "killer" camera. This would even help with my balloon projects.

I want to "release" a glider from a balloon over 100k up and i could rig up external power and then interrupt that power jacking the glider into the balloon and when the balloon pops power would be restored and the camera would "start up"
+1
flahut59 is offline Find More Posts by flahut59
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I would really really really love to see a firmware update that auto turns on when power is applied externally and turns off when external power is lost.
That's been suggested for a while. If it was possible with the current hardware it would probably be in user configuration options by now because the camera would be more versitile so more sales. When flip mode and one button start were suggested they were added pretty fast and for two reasons, because they were useful to enough people and because it could be done without revising the hardware.

To anyone: I'm curious to know--how is video out used in RC and what other ways is it used? Revising the hardware for that wouldn't have been on the top of my list.
flying circus is offline Find More Posts by flying circus
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The green LED is sometimes a bit hard to see if you are not looking in the small hole from the right direction or if the ambient light is really bright. But it should turn on when charging.

You need to download the verbose instructions and GUI for setting the different camera settings, too (see post 3 FAQs or post 10). The recording time can be set as high as 70 min., and you can set the yellow LED to blink every second AFTER it starts recording, so you KNOW it's still recording.

You battery may not be holding a charge, so it appears to be fully charged, because the voltage on it will give the impression it is at full capacity, but under load, the charge quickly depletes and will no longer provide ample power. A full charge should give about 40 min. of recording time. You can determine if the battery/charging is the problem by powering the camera while recording with the external car USB power cord (NOT the data cord). You should get clips of the same length (as determined by your recording clip length setting [probably 20 min. in your case] every time. If you still get short corrupted files, the card is the next suspect.

Some Samsung CL 6 cards have worked, and others not (see FAQ about flash memory cards in post #3). The 8GB CL 6 is not listed as working or not working, so the jury is out. But I'd recommend getting a name brand CL 4 to try to eliminate that as a source of the problem.
Tom--thanks so much for your help. I will do just as you suggest. Hopefully report back in a day or two.

Wayne
Beemerider is offline Find More Posts by Beemerider
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:02 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying circus View Post
To anyone: I'm curious to know--how is video out used in RC and what other ways is it used? Revising the hardware for that wouldn't have been on the top of my list.
It's for the FPV folks. The composite video is transmitted back to the pilot.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, MA
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
U.S. #16 Reseller

Hi all.

I currently have Lens A cameras, Lens B cameras, Lens D cameras, Lens D modules, Lens D shells, Lens B modules, and replacement batteries in stock in my eBay store.

Please check out my eBay store at http://stores.ebay.com/novotm.

Thanks to Tom Frank for okaying this post.
novotm is offline Find More Posts by novotm
Last edited by novotm; Sep 27, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
If you are not familiar with "FPV" flying, the pilot does not look at the plane while flying, but rather uses a viewscreen or goggles displaying the video from the on-board camera to fly and see where the plane is going, just as if they were sitting in the cockpit. There are video samples in this thread (since the camera can also record the flight while outputting the video at the same time), and there's a huge forum dedicated solely to FPV flying elsewhere on the RCGroups site. So, with this whole site dedicated to RC model hobbyists, and this forum dedicated to aerial photography with RC planes, and this thread dedicated to using the #16 camera for that purpose, its a natural fit with high demand here by our normal forum users. And that's also why lengthy discussions of other uses (like car and bike video recording) are discouraged here.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:40 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Hi Tom,
Thanks for all your info!

I just recieved what was supposed to be a #16 v2. Can you tell me what it really is?

Also I want to use one for FPV but do they all reduce the FOV on the video out with black bars so would that reduce the size of image in goggles?

Any workaround?
Thanks again!
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:20 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
Hi Tom,
Thanks for all your info!

I just recieved what was supposed to be a #16 v2. Can you tell me what it really is?

Also I want to use one for FPV but do they all reduce the FOV on the video out with black bars so would that reduce the size of image in goggles?

Any workaround?
Thanks again!
It's not a #16, I can tell you that much! I guess you didn't buy it from one of the verified sources listed in post #2.

For the real #16, the FOV is NOT reduced by the black bars. The 16:9 aspect ratio frame is simply resized to a taller 4:3 aspect ratio frame to display the full composite video frame size. The black bars top and bottom are there because there is nothing from the camera video to fill that extra space.

I have no idea what goggles might do to that video stream, but my 4:3 aspect ratio TV shows the full image from the camera from side to side, with black bars only top and bottom.TV
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,613 Posts
Quote:
That's been suggested for a while. If it was possible with the current hardware it would probably be in user configuration options by now because the camera would be more versitile so more sales. When flip mode and one button start were suggested they were added pretty fast and for two reasons, because they were useful to enough people and because it could be done without revising the hardware.

The developer revises the hardware from time to time, for example when current stocks run out, although most revisions are so minor you wouldn't even notice the difference. Maybe a component is no longer available and the replacement component is smaller or larger, there are a lot of reasons. Adding video-out was a very simple modification which basically connects a contact on the underside of the processor to pin #4 of the USB socket. I believe it was also very easy to enable the video-out in the firmware. The hardware modification was done a long time before the V2 was even announced. By the time the V2 was announced, the V1 models had almost completely been replaced by the V2 models.
Other modifications like the flip video were easy to implement, but the one-button-start was not so easy because implementing the functionality influenced numerous other routines. What may at first appear to be a simple modification can turn out to be tricky or even impossible.

There have been requests for auto-power-on, but I can imagine this is not possible with the current hardware design and thus will most probably never be implemented. Since I don't know the hardware or the firmware or the processor design I am only speculating and could be completely wrong. However, if it was an easy task, I'm sure the developer would have implemented this functionality a long time ago.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop