HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
then you need to see if a 1/2, or 1/3 cmos , is the better/worse......
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
My experience is that what you call "jello" is caused by vibration. It will come and go as various harmonic vibrations are encountered. Generally, having a layer of softer material between the camera and the airframe will dampen the vibrations out.

But somtimes anything that works well for dampening out vibration at one airspeed/motor RPM combo can find another combination of RPM and airspeed that might not work as well. It is the harmonics thing of course.

Jac
It is vibration between each "wipe" of the shutter which causes an image to distort. The slowest shutter speed produces the most distortion because the image changes so much from one wipe to the next one.
alculo is offline Find More Posts by alculo
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:38 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alculo View Post
It is vibration between each "wipe" of the shutter which causes an image to distort. The slowest shutter speed produces the most distortion because the image changes so much from one wipe to the next one.
It is the shutter speed that creates the jello as the imager moves due to vibration.
For these 808 cameras, the shutter speed is quite high, so the jello is different in each frame.
For the first of these tiny cameras, the Aiptek PenCam, the shutter speed was slow enough for the jello to create the waves in each image.
Made for some amusing/interesting photos.
As the image is scanned from top to bottom in separate lines, motion can be depicted somewhat bizarrely.
I haven't gotten anything this extreme from an 808, except when shooting through a propellor.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:59 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
2 kinds of distortion we are seeing.

you have BLUR from low shutter speed under low light. this has little or nothing to do with jello and scan rate. although at lower shutter speeds IF scan rate relative motion problems exist they will be made worse.

Second you have what is called a "rolling shutter" effect.

go find a flat bed SCANNER

place your hand on it and hit SCAN.

now MOVE your hand WHILE its scanning.

THAT is rolling shutter in giant slowed down form essentially.

CCD "pops" a picture of each sensor point all at once.

CMOS literally downloads sensor data in lines top to bottom (or whatever) in near "real time" so its possible for the last line to be at a different "time" than the first line.

so its less a SNAP and more of a SCAN

so get rid of jello you must either speed up the scan or slow down the motion that is occurring faster than the scan.

even really expensive CMOS sensors exhibit this problem. you should see how stretched some fins on rockets I shoot get when I use my F1 (casio 1200fps high speed camera) to shoot them if I don't "sync" my motion relative to model motion close enough :-)

but thats because the models I am shooting move crazy fast (0-200mph in .5 seconds etc..)
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
After a crash with the 808 #16 wide angle lens, I have a broken MOV file.
How can I fix it ?

Thanks
Sharon
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:46 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
After a crash with the 808 #16 wide angle lens, I have a broken MOV file.
How can I fix it ?

Thanks
Sharon
This is answered in the FAQs in post #3.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
won't turn on

I have charged my battery (green light on while plugged into USB), but it will not turn on no matter what button configuration I do.

If I press the power button with no card in, nothing happens (no LED light).

I thought it might have been a firmware issue so I formatted the flash card.

I am at a complete loss as to what to try to do now.

I have used it before and it worked fine. Now all of a sudden it won't turn on at all.

Any help?

EDIT (FOUND THESE INSTRUCTIONS):
Firmware
- Put your card in an external card reader and format your card.
- Now copy the firmware file to your empty card.
- Disconnect the card reader from the PC.
- Remove the card from the card reader.
- Put the card in your camera.
- Very briefly (max 500 ms / half a second) press the power button. The yellow LED should start flashing.
- WAIT AT LEAST 10 seconds until you see the red LED blink very quickly.
- Remove the card from your camera.
- Put your card in an external card reader and format your card.
- Remove the card from the card reader.
- Put the card in your camera.
- Your camera should now work correctly

I press the power button and no lights flash...........
notro is offline Find More Posts by notro
Last edited by notro; Aug 24, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:56 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
try hitting the reset button ?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
Geez, I hope I haven't nudged you into doing anything you'll regret. But it is only a matter of time before my two gumpack and three keychain (#3, #4, #11) cameras get upgraded to a newer variant. And I look forward to you guys having all the details being worked out by then!

Jack
Well ... I tried to do the external battery mod, connected up the 900mAh battery, plugged it in to the USB, and ... got a bad smell and a dead cam :-/

Well, not quite dead ... it comes alive briefly, but when I plug in the USB, I no longer get the green charging light. And it doesn't smell very good ... LOL!

At least I did get one decent video out of it before I killed it. Not R/C but at least it's flying, as they say ... :-)

20120818 tail cam test wide angle (7 min 32 sec)
boozedog is offline Find More Posts by boozedog
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:50 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
define "plugged a 900mah battery" into it ? did you plug a 900mah lipo into the USB port ? its designed for 5v not 3.7 or 7.4 (2 cells ??) ???

DUDE the full scale FPV tail cam ROCKS !! nice job on the flying too sweet landings.
Last edited by nerys; Aug 24, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
define "plugged a 900mah battery" into it ? did you plug a 900mah lipo into the USB port ? its designed for 5v not 3.7 or 7.4 (2 cells ??) ???
Sorry to be clear I removed the little 240mAh 3.7 battery, and put a similar connector on a 900mAh battery, mounted externally, plugged it in. Didn't seem to want to power up so I plugged the camera in and attempted to charge the 900mAh battery by way of the camera. I have a feeling this might have been a poor choice on my part!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boozedog View Post
Sorry to be clear I removed the little 240mAh 3.7 battery, and put a similar connector on a 900mAh battery, mounted externally, plugged it in. Didn't seem to want to power up so I plugged the camera in and attempted to charge the 900mAh battery by way of the camera. I have a feeling this might have been a poor choice on my part!
By the way I can see the part that got smoked is right behind the lens, there a little paper over it and the paper is blackened and it's clear that it got way too hot.

Anyone know what I did? Too much current for some reason, I'd say ... I'd search this forum but I mean sheesh it's one thread with 8080 replies! LOL
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:12 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
my guess would be you put the battery in backwards :-(
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
my guess would be you put the battery in backwards :-(
Uhm. You're right. The wires on the connectors I bought are reversed from the wires on the connector on the original battery. Duh ... it didn't even occur to me that the connectors might be wired different ...
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
boozedog top quality video
silky smooth motion!
lens D i suppose? I guess all you flyers need the lens D its supreme
everything so symetrical, perfect placement
show us the cam on the plane, photo
akaloith is offline Find More Posts by akaloith
Last edited by akaloith; Aug 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM.