HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Märsta
Joined Feb 2010
36 Posts
Anyone want some more real world examples of the #16 with "D" lens, just click play. Just a short video of me flying my HK Pitts. Sun was setting so it's a bit dark and there is nothing spectacular in the video
kvällsflyg 22/8/12 (8 min 2 sec)
Bjosta is offline Find More Posts by Bjosta
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:22 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaloith View Post
I believe people add fisheye lenses in front of a A or B lens
which is kind of easy

in front of a D lens it would be almost impossible due to the shape of it and they would get the distorsion you got
maybe tbob18 has a A or B lens
maybe he can photograph the final adapt of the lens and show us
its a quite good result and only the farrrrrr corners are cut and quite evenly

Sparky you got a D lens so you dont need much more wide angle
but people with A & B lenses do
I've added the .67 Kodak lens to 3 of my #16s, and am happy with the images.
The D lens... I don't care that much for the images, the high degree of barrel distortion bothers me.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:29 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
I think you are expecting way to much from a $40 camera...
+1 on that.
Looking at the internal construction of a film wide angle lens, and miniaturizing that to the size these cameras would require would raise the price 10x at least!
And then all the added gee-gaas and dohickeys would make the box larger, the battery larger... might as well get a point-n-shoot that has all those features.
Some of them go for $100. And give useable photos as well.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
The feedback I received from Users is that profiles are useless for the vast majority of people and that I should work on something much more important like Firmware Update and Program Update; so I did... and delivered. Although profile code was 60-80% done, I ditched it and put my efforts on what most Users want and need.

User feedback is important to me.
User feedback is important to any programmer

I never had any feedback for doing programmatic Firmware updates, or programmatic Program updates. Not one single request! Both functions are not implemented in the current GUI for reasons I've already given. But if readers desires are changing, then that's no problem for me.

Since users have apparently requested these functions from you, I have already implemented the functionality in the new GUI version. As I've already stated, I will not be releasing the new version before the next firmware update. I will also not be posting what new features can be expected - except that program and firmware updates are implemented.

No program is perfect, neither yours nor mine, and I think readers are lucky to have a choice. There is absolutely no point in arguing which program is "better".

The program is only the icing on the cake - it doesn't play a major role. It's the camera's functionality that is important IMO.

FWIW, I've been using profiles extensively while testing/using these cameras and find them most useful.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
User feedback is important to any programmer

I never had any feedback for doing programmatic Firmware updates, or programmatic Program updates. Not one single request! Both functions are not implemented in the current GUI for reasons I've already given. But if readers desires are changing, then that's no problem for me.

Since users have apparently requested these functions from you, I have already implemented the functionality in the new GUI version. As I've already stated, I will not be releasing the new version before the next firmware update. I will also not be posting what new features can be expected - except that program and firmware updates are implemented.

No program is perfect, neither yours nor mine, and I think readers are lucky to have a choice. There is absolutely no point in arguing which program is "better".

The program is only the icing on the cake - it doesn't play a major role. It's the camera's functionality that is important IMO.

FWIW, I've been using profiles extensively while testing/using these cameras and find them most useful.
Thanks for your hard work (therau2000 as well)!

I had a question a few pages back that did not get answered, just wondering if it is even possible or if it is a limitation in video mode.. I find webcam mode to be much better quality overall (when properly outputting 720p of course).
tbob18 is offline Find More Posts by tbob18
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
using different firmware #11 #16 #18 on the #16 v2 provide different
angle of view?
which is the widest which is the more croped?
akaloith is offline Find More Posts by akaloith
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
My new 808 16D came today. I will test it out later this evening. It looks odd though with that lens sticking out, like it's deformed or something. lol.

Does that lens screw on or is it glued on? Can it be safely removed? Just wondering.

Thanks
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:10 PM
Darwin of quadcopter canopies
Finland, Espoo
Joined Jun 2011
154 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a wider lens for my v2B.
I have a green wide angle Jelly Lens, but it's insides are visible in the picture, and I know that the v1 / A lens doesn't have this problem.
Does the increased FOV of the B lens have problems with the magnetic 0.67x and fisheye lenses as well..?
John_Edward is offline Find More Posts by John_Edward
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:42 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
My new 808 16D came today. I will test it out later this evening. It looks odd though with that lens sticking out, like it's deformed or something. lol.

Does that lens screw on or is it glued on? Can it be safely removed? Just wondering.

Thanks
Try the camera out before changing anything.
And yes the lens screws off... Why would you do this?
And yes, the imaging module can be removed. Safely depends on lots of care and luck.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaloith View Post
using different firmware #11 #16 #18 on the #16 v2 provide different
angle of view?
which is the widest which is the more croped?
#11 #16 #18 firmware on #16 V2 ??????
You can't run #11 or #18 firmware on the #16, or vice versa.

Widest angle is #16 with D lens.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
Official Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
...I've been using profiles extensively while testing/using these cameras and find them most useful.
You clearly made the point that profiles are useful to the programmer but are useless for the vast majority of people.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:38 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
any particular reason why profiles (if you don;t want them) are RELEVANT ie why are you arguing over them? I don't even know what they are but its clear to me you have no use for them so why are you arguing about them? Seriously I am curious. does it make it "not" work for you in some way to have profiles?
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:43 PM
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Isoprop
...I've been using profiles extensively while testing/using these cameras and find them most useful

Quote:
You clearly made the point that profiles are useful to the programmer but are useless for the vast majority of people.
Will you two quit sniping at each other (while trying to appear cordial) or at least take it off line. It's nice that you have both taken the time to write those programs (although I have not used either one). It's pretty easy to edit the text file (and keep different files with different settings if desired), but I'm sure there are many people that appreciate a GUI. I'm sure you are both proud of your work (as you should be) and think your design is the best, but I see no need to discuss or defend it in the forum. For Mac and Linux users the choice is clear (although I can't imagine a Linux user needing a GUI, but maybe it is a new age) and for Windows users without JAVA the choice is also clear. Windows users with JAVA installed have it the best, they can try them both and use whichever they think is best.

Jim
Jim Taylor is online now Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,888 Posts
Quote:
It could be argued that the same can be said for MANY of the features with user toggles controlled by the GUI's. E.g., I prefer to load my own firmware from my own PC rather than do it from a GUI loader function, but that's just me.

My guess is, most just want to plug and play, and not bother with changing settings, editing, etc. It's pointless to argue the pros and cons of any specific function or user toggle. They are there because some have requested them. I have no idea what the vast majority of user want, and suspect that most of them have never posted here.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Glad they are. really am. now you two got something great to do, top one another.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)