SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:11 AM
Grrr :-)
nerys's Avatar
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
tbob18 LOVE the fisheye look and CRYSTAL clear. would love to know what lens you used and how you attached it and to which #16.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:15 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob18 View Post
I have the A lens, if it was any wider and there would not be much picture. I could have gotten the D lens, but I wanted something a bit wider.

I did take my 808 apart and found that even with the fish eye right up to the built in lens there is still some vignetting, although the edges are a bit sharper. The 180 degree lens may have been a better fit.
can we see the whole construction and the add on lens and how much and link?
yes the edges could use a bit more sharpness so move the add on lens more close to the A lens, dig it
akaloith is offline Find More Posts by akaloith
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
tbob18 LOVE the fisheye look and CRYSTAL clear. would love to know what lens you used and how you attached it and to which #16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaloith View Post
can we see the whole construction and the add on lens and how much and link?
yes the edges could use a bit more sharpness so move the add on lens more close to the A lens, dig it
I haven't properly mounted it yet, I just took the stick on ring that came with the lens and stuck it on there where it lines up decent, then used packing tape to secure it in place.

I have started to flatten the front down to make it more even and will probably still use packing tape to secure it in place.

To mount it to the plane I used velcro, and more packing tape and a rubber band for extra safety. I doubled up the front part of the velcro on the camera to avoid putting pressure on the lens (it ends up pointing up slightly) I also added counter weights on the top of the other wing to make it easier to fly.



I got it on Ebay here, price went up a bit since I ordered:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180910142401 (the 185, $18.99)

I got the 185 because it has more glass and seemed like it might be better quality.. I don't have a 180 to compare it to so I don't know for sure.

I am using the #16 v2 with the A lens.
tbob18 is offline Find More Posts by tbob18
Last edited by tbob18; Aug 23, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:03 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
aint prety but does the job
if the 180 is of same optical quality then it would be better to your lens A
judging by the price it should be worse

so the lens A is very restrictive? should i choose lens D?
Lens D raw mov samples pleaseeee?
akaloith is offline Find More Posts by akaloith
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaloith View Post
aint prety but does the job
if the 180 is of same optical quality then it would be better to your lens A
judging by the price it should be worse

so the lens A is very restrictive? should i choose lens D?
Lens D raw mov samples pleaseeee?
I may get a 180 just to compare, but going by the videos I have seen with the 180, the 185 does seem to be better quality (does not stretch the edges out as much), and produces an overall clearer image.

Lens A has a narrow FOV, probably somewhere in the range of 50-60 degrees. Lens B is slightly wider probably something like 70-80 degrees, lens D is a lot wider at 120 degrees (also a fish eye), and then you have ultra wide like the 180 and 185 degree fish eye.

If you don't like the crazy look of the add on fish eye, the 120 is good and is still quite wide - plus the extra lens does add some weight to the plane.

You can find a lot of videos on Youtube with Lens D.
tbob18 is offline Find More Posts by tbob18
Last edited by tbob18; Aug 23, 2012 at 04:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:07 AM
Just thumbing through...
victapilot's Avatar
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,452 Posts
Depends what you put it on. This is a Dealextreme 180 lens on a #6 cam, which alone has a fairly narrow AOV. Not distorted so much.

Fish-eye #6 (1 min 3 sec)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:19 AM
Fidler & twidler
empeabee's Avatar
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
yeah I MUCH MUCH rather prefer the color saturation of the #11 over the #16 I hope this is something that can be corrected in firmware since I prefer the #16 hardware and wide angle lens etc.. but the jello is MUCH more noticeable on the #11 over the #16 too.

can we jack the saturation back up in the #16 ?
There are many arguments about the colour saturation settings.
Most of us oldymouldys like the soft natural colours of the #16
Most of u 'young whipersnappers' like the Garish eye hurting colours of the #11.
BUT
It is easy to make the natural #16 colours into DISNEY Primaries when you edit your file - increase the saturation using the editor.
You can then make 2 versions, one for pre-KODAK generation, one for the ( ) colour blind ( ) generation.
The problem with the #11 is that when presented with a bright colourful scene with lots of primary colours, it can not distinguish between Hot Pink, and Shocking Pink - it just produces Orange...
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:17 AM
Official Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opq View Post
...my Windows is a VM inside my Mac.
Did you know there is a #16 Camera Configuration Assistant Program that runs on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows? It has Firmware Update , Program Update and many more functions not available otherwise. Full contextual instructions are available right inside program.



It is the second program listed at the beginning of post #4.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:37 AM
Registered User
VideoKing's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuritko View Post
Thanks. As I do not have the camera yet, can someone try this using 16# camera with lens D and show us result comparing the original shot? If there will be no noticable distortion, I will buy camera with D lens, because I want bigger AOV but no fisheye.
You will always have some "noticeable" distortion, (if you know where to look for it).

NO lens is perfect, be it a wide angle or telephoto. Any spherical lens will give a distortion when projected onto a flat CMOS or CCD sensor, its impossible to achieve perfect projection onto a flat surface. I've seen 150,000 studio video cameras at work and they still have noticeable distortions, just greatly reduced by expensively cut lenses and clever electronics manipulation.

I think you are expecting way to much from a $40 camera...
VideoKing is offline Find More Posts by VideoKing
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therau2000 View Post
Did you know there is a #16 Camera Configuration Assistant Program that runs on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows? It has Firmware Update , Program Update and many more functions not available otherwise. Full contextual instructions are available right inside program.



It is the second program listed at the beginning of post #4.
I believe that profiles are important to the original poster because he asked specifically about where the profile file is located. The Java program does not support profiles, although I know you had initially planned to add this functionality.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:55 AM
Registered User
Azuritko's Avatar
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
You will always have some "noticeable" distortion, (if you know where to look for it).

NO lens is perfect, be it a wide angle or telephoto. Any spherical lens will give a distortion when projected onto a flat CMOS or CCD sensor, its impossible to achieve perfect projection onto a flat surface. I've seen 150,000 studio video cameras at work and they still have noticeable distortions, just greatly reduced by expensively cut lenses and clever electronics manipulation.

I think you are expecting way to much from a $40 camera...
OK good to know. But I am not expecting that developer will buy expensive lens and sell it for $40. I want to get rid off distortion from lens what we have now by myself using some software. I am only asking, if I can remove so much distortion to make it look as lens A but wider. Anyway I tried the sony vegas deform effect on picture from Tom and it works well. I have to experiment more to found everything I want.
Azuritko is offline Find More Posts by Azuritko
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
No one is going to tear their lens off use the bare sensor to a 1000.00 lens. Are they?

You want perfection get a nikon
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
if the horizontal angle of view is 90 degrees on lensD
the vertical would be 50degrees

and the diagonal would be 100 degrees
making the lens D a 18mm focal length equivalent to 35mm photography
which is quite wide

and if the data measured by people is correct then:

lens A 58,6 x 32,9625 (67 diagonal) = 32mm
lens B 66.8 x 37,575 (76 diagonal) = 28mm
lens D 90 x 50 (100 diagonal) = 18mm

I did those calculations cause i havent seen the equivalent focal length of the lens and for people knowing about photography is the most useful thing
I dont have the cam and i am based on the measurements in red done by Tom Frank & Sparky Paul
at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6843
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7732
akaloith is offline Find More Posts by akaloith
Last edited by akaloith; Aug 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaloith View Post
if the horizontal angle of view is 90 degrees on lensD
the vertical would be 50degrees

and the diagonal would be 100 degrees
making the lens D a 18mm focal length equivalent to 35mm photography
which is quite wide

and if the data measured by people is correct then:

lens A 58,6 x 32,9625 (67 diagonal) = 32mm
lens B 66.8 x 37,575 (76 diagonal) = 28mm
lens D 90 x 50 (100 diagonal) = 18mm

I did those calculations cause i havent seen the equivalent focal length of the lens and for people knowing about photography is the most useful thing
I dont have the cam and i am based on the measurements in red done by Tom Frank & Sparky Paul
at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6843
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7732
That sounds about right. The 185 is similar to the 8mm Samyang/Pro-optic on a Nikon DX sensor (12mm 35mm equivalent) as far as fov goes - it may even be a bit wider.
tbob18 is offline Find More Posts by tbob18
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:32 AM
Official Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I believe that profiles are important to the original poster because he asked specifically about where the profile file is located. The Java program does not support profiles, although I know you had initially planned to add this functionality.
The feedback I received from Users is that profiles are useless for the vast majority of people and that I should work on something much more important like Firmware Update and Program Update; so I did... and delivered. Although profile code was 60-80% done, I ditched it and put my efforts on what most Users want and need.

User feedback is important to me.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion The REAL (#11) HD Key Cam Thread (PLEASE! READ POSTS #1-#3 BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!) Tom Frank Aerial Photography 9936 Feb 11, 2014 10:56 AM
Discussion Looking to buy #11 HD Key Cam within US Abolfazl Aerial Photography 1 Feb 14, 2012 02:59 AM
Poll Poll For Current and Future #11 HD Key Cam Users Tom Frank Aerial Photography 0 Sep 26, 2011 12:55 AM
Discussion New HD Key Cam CHAMP? 1080x720p 3 HOUR RECORD TIME! Jaybee Aerial Photography 4 Jun 02, 2011 12:39 PM