HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:20 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I keep getting a warning from my laptop of a voltage spike from the usb port when I plug in the camera. Anone else had this problem?
Not with my HP Laptop.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:30 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I keep getting a warning from my laptop of a voltage spike from the usb port when I plug in the camera. Anone else had this problem?
That's not been reported before, but it doesn't make sense either. The camera and it's battery charging would be a drain on the USB port, slightly dropping the voltage if anything. Do you have an external battery connected to your camera?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:32 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
That's not been reported before, but it doesn't make sense either. The camera and it's battery charging would be a drain on the USB port, slightly dropping the voltage if anything. Do you have an external battery connected to your camera?
No. I'm thinking I may have a defective cable. Got plenty of them so no problem.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
And on top of that, there is no way to tell which setting you last put in the camera other than by shooting and watching a test video, .....

I can only see a flip function as being beneficial if a person always mounted the camera inverted and usually did not do any editing. Not a very large percentage of users, so better to reserve memory for better uses, I think.
No different than determining any of the other modes.

True (about people who always rotate it), but I will disagree about what percentage might use it that way most of the time or don't do any post editing. Many people just want to view their flights and no more.

As far as 'memory' is concerned, I doubt it would be more than a few lines of code. It should simply be a matter of reading the CCD in reverse.

And as for 'better uses', then why bother have a 640x480 mode on a HD camera? One could easily say not a large percentage of users would use that.
mark_a_l is offline Find More Posts by mark_a_l
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:34 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,414 Posts
Best to trust Tom on that one!!

The #7 does have option to invert the image, and is toggled via a user config file and a two step process. I tried, it works fine. Beyond the initial curiosity, I found no further use for it for all the above reasons.

I often use the camera inverted under a wing. The wing protects the camera from the sun, avoids glare/flare. But I just edit accordingly.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_a_l View Post
No different than determining any of the other modes.

True (about people who always rotate it), but I will disagree about what percentage might use it that way most of the time or don't do any post editing. Many people just want to view their flights and no more.

As far as 'memory' is concerned, I doubt it would be more than a few lines of code. It should simply be a matter of reading the CCD in reverse.

And as for 'better uses', then why bother have a 640x480 mode on a HD camera? One could easily say not a large percentage of users would use that.
I agree about the current 640x480 mode as NOW configured. But the 640x480 mode was initially a 60 fps mode, which the camera is supposed to be able to do, but the resulting video was frame-doubled 60 fps, not the unique 60 fps that was expected. It will be addressed as soon as the file corruption issue is resolved, then we should have a useable different mode with much smoother motion. The intermediate WVGA mode was incorporated for those who can't play 720p mode smoothly, or who don't need that big of a video, or just want the smaller files it produces.

If there were enough programming space left in memory, there would probably be user toggles for slight changes in the saturation and/or hue to suit people's different preferences in that regard.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 07, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:35 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
808 #16 HD Cam 1/7/12 Other things we put it on today.. (3 min 25 sec)

808 #16 Keychain HD camera aerial test 1/7/12 (2 min 48 sec)
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Last edited by RaptorAP; Jan 07, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:58 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,414 Posts
FWIW, inverted this by rotation with YouTube editor, using cell phone access and edit

Inverted by YouTube editor (3 min 43 sec)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
OK...I think I found a problem. I bought a couple of these recently (they both came with the beta .avi firmware, and I updated them to the 0.16 .mov official firmware from post #3). I set mine up to record until the card is full by using a USB power supply plugged into them before I started recording (16GB class 10 card) and it simply recorded two 20 minute clips and then stopped. Shouldn't have this recorded until the card is full (~16GB of video)?
fway is offline Find More Posts by fway
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:34 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fway View Post
OK...I think I found a problem. I bought a couple of these recently (they both came with the beta .avi firmware, and I updated them to the 0.16 .mov official firmware from post #3). I set mine up to record until the card is full by using a USB power supply plugged into them before I started recording (16GB class 10 card) and it simply recorded two 20 minute clips and then stopped. Shouldn't have this recorded until the card is full (~16GB of video)?
How did you have it set up in the Configuration utility?
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:45 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fway View Post
My first impression would be yes. But some questions...

1. Did you check the USB power supply to confirm it is working? (40 min. is about what the internal battery would do by itself).
2. Is the second clip EXACTLY 20 min. long? If external power was not working, it's highly unlikely the second clip would stop at EXACTLY 20:00 min.

If both above are true,
3. Can you repeat this test with the same camera and card?
4. Can you repeat this test with the other camera?
5. Did you try formatting the card with the in-camera formatting routine first?

Post what you find, please .
Old Jan 08, 2012, 07:12 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
I noticed something similar with a 4gig card. I went to go mountain biking and started recording. After the 15min ride I turned the camera recording off. When I got home and downloaded the video I noticed that only about 30 seconds of recording took place and that was it. I also noticed that I had over 3gig free based on MS Explorer so I wasnt running of disk space. I'm going to go out and buy a new SD carb but was just wondering if anyone else is having same issue. I'm new and just wondering if I inadvertanly stoped recording somehow or if there is an actual issue. It would be good to know if others have a similar issue.

I used the GUI Config util and updated the firware to Micro DVR 2011/12/23 mov.v0.16

My settings are as follows.
Set Date/Time YES
Auto-Shutoff 30
Time Stamp On
Audio MEDIUM
Loop Recording OFF
Vido Clip Length 70MINS
Recording Indicator ON
Video Frame Size 1280x720 (30fps)
Video Data Rate 7mbps

NOTE: Happy to report that it was the crappy class 2 card I was using. I went out and bought a Patriot Class 10 16gb card and it's working flawlessly. Cant wait to put this baby on my mountain bike and my Monster Stick with Bomb Drop. I'm thinking a bomb drop webcam would be pretty cool to watch??
Fidy$Trainer is online now Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Last edited by Fidy$Trainer; Jan 08, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I had this happen with #11 card and a crappy class 4 2gig SD from Panasonic.
it would stop recording after about 15-30 seconds (probably due to buffer overrun or whatever). When I put a 4gig class 6 or higher into same camera, it would record properly.

So while there's a possibility you bumped the shutter button, it's likely the camera probably just couldnt write fast enough and stopped. If you have a sd card reader, try checking the card with CrystalDiskmark and see what kind of disk write speeds you get on it.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Speaking of cards, here's a caution that probably should be in the documentation (from the "been there, done that" department).

If you use your fingernail when installing or removing the microSD card, DO NOT place your fingernail parallel to the card to push. If your fingernail slips before the card is fully in or out, the spring pressure can eject the tiny card with sufficient force to fly quite a ways... like 10 feet or more. When this happened to me I was fortunate that it hit the back of the couch and fell onto the cushion or I might have had a hard time finding it. I heard it hit so I knew about where to look for it.

I now use one or two fingernails perpendicular to the edge of the card. If one slips, the other will hold it.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:18 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Speaking of cards, here's a caution that probably should be in the documentation (from the "been there, done that" department).

If you use your fingernail when installing or removing the microSD card, DO NOT place your fingernail parallel to the card to push. If your fingernail slips before the card is fully in or out, the spring pressure can eject the tiny card with sufficient force to fly quite a ways... like 10 feet or more. When this happened to me I was fortunate that it hit the back of the couch and fell onto the cushion or I might have had a hard time finding it. I heard it hit so I knew about where to look for it.

I now use one or two fingernails perpendicular to the edge of the card. If one slips, the other will hold it.

Paul
Been there, pinged it, found it
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft