Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Yes, that will work too.

Have a look at this post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8209

KC
If you read the posts that precede the one you linked, you'd note that small plug is not to be used for 5V input... the USB port is designed for that voltage... the battery connection point may not be.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Ordered the #16 two hours after I ordered the #11.
flashbang is offline Find More Posts by flashbang
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:17 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
#16 Night Video

Knowing that the #16 is not good in low light, I shot some video in the dark of night of a Christmas boat parade where I am vacationing. The Christmas lights decorating the boats recorded in remarkable detail and clarity, except for when my hand-held motion blurred the image. A tripod or monopod support would have made it even better. Here' an edited down clip:

#16 HD Key Cam at night (3 min 55 sec)
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:11 PM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
305 Posts
Thanks for the Info Bill...I did add some words to the message box but I wonder too if it actually went through..I'll email him as you suggest. Thanks again.
ks
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:35 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,340 Posts
Has anyone done aerial video yet? Just wondering about jello with the slower shutter speed.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:28 AM
ptg
Barjetling Academy #1
Joined Apr 2005
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Has anyone done aerial video yet? Just wondering about jello with the slower shutter speed.
Wait week or two...
Mine was sent today
ptg is offline Find More Posts by ptg
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:22 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Yes how is that, I don't get it "slower shutter" and still 30 fps? I always told that faster is better, how is this "improvement"
tushev is online now Find More Posts by tushev
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:15 AM
808 lover
Espaņa, CT, Barcelona
Joined Dec 2011
66 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and looking forward to that sweet new camera. I thought I would say if it would be possible to do some type of timelapse, I think it should be relatively easy to people with knowledge of programming.

I think it would be a great implementation into these cameras!

Bye guys!

Also, can the free battery be easily plugged and continue recording footage or it's just to use it when it breaks ?
And does the free battery offer expires some day?
kasuno is offline Find More Posts by kasuno
Last edited by kasuno; Dec 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:22 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevTor View Post
Hi Tom/Isoprop,

The GUI based configurator looks very good. It way more convenient that how #11 was done. Not sure if this has been asked before but would it have the functionality of updating future #16 firmwares?

Really appreciate all your hard work to make this camera better.
I know Tom has already answered your question a few days ago, but I'd also like to give you my rather long answer, from a programmer's point of view.

I agree that a lot of people are afraid of updating firmware "by hand". However, the #16 really does make it very easy UNLESS you don't (yet) know what root folders are, and even then, you can't do much harm as long as you follow the instructions.

I considered writing a fully automatic updater a long time ago, in the early days of the #11. My plan was to have all the firmware versions fully integrated into the updater program. However, this would lead to a very large program if there were more than one or two firmware versions available. It is, therefore, not practical to do it this way. Method abolished.

Another method would have been to develop a separate program, which had the firmware code embedded, for each firmware version available. This would be possible and even fairly simple to implement, but then I got worried about how people would start screaming if they bricked there camera... (see remaining possibility below) Method abolished.

Yet another method would have been to point the program to the firmware file, but this would most probably be packed (zipped), or maybe not? If the user is capable of pointing the program to the firmware file, then he should also know what a rood folder is. And if he has the knowledge, why does he need an automatic updater? Method abolished.

The remaining possibility would have been to download the firmware from a "hidden" web address which also contained information about the actual firmware, similar to what can be found on Tom's firmware download page.
As long as the user had a fairly fast internet connection, this method would work. Unfortunately, it would require quite a bit of serious programming, not only on the PC end, but also on the web end. The program would obviously be pretty sluggish because it would first have to present the web information to the user. I could write such a program but I don't think it would be used by many people, and it would take quite a while to test and iron out the bugs. I would also have to maintain the "hidden" web address and maybe even offer the possibility for the Windows program to check for updates. All this would be possible, but would lead to a full-blown "application" for a camera that may exist maybe 1-2 years max. It's just too much work! And I could just hear all those people screaming when their camera got bricked! (not because of the program, but who's to prove it!). Project abandoned

As you can see, I did consider writing a utility. Who knows what may happen in the future, but I certainly wouldn't write such a program without the OK from the manufacturer. Time will tell, but I'm sure there will be a lot less bricked #16 cameras because of firmware updates. For the #16, I consider a program updater totally unnecessary. The update process is now a piece of cake and no longer a risky process. Also, it is no longer really needed because all the parameters can be set with the configuration tool.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:22 AM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
I was gonna get a #16 then the next day 1080p HD Go Pros were going for $129.99
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuno View Post
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and looking forward to that sweet new camera. I thought I would say if it would be possible to do some type of timelapse, I think it should be relatively easy to people with knowledge of programming.

I think it would be a great implementation into these cameras!

Bye guys!
Time lapse is not implemented, and could only be implemented by the manufacturer, not by us "programmers"!

I also suspect that the camera's program memory space is almost used up which would make implementing time lapse in this tiny camera impossible. But who knows?...

Hardware modifications can be found for other models and these could certainly be used with the #16. The modification electronically presses the shutter button to take a picture every x seconds. Quite a few modifications have been published, but they are, obviously, all hardware based.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Also, can the free battery be easily plugged and continue recording footage or it's just to use it when it breaks ?
And does the free battery offer expires some day?
The free battery is a replacement battery (for when the existing battery dies). It has a small plug (see Tom's post here). Officially, you need an external USB power supply for continuous recording.

The Free battery offer expires 31 Dec. 2011.
Last edited by Isoprop; Dec 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:02 PM
808 lover
Espaņa, CT, Barcelona
Joined Dec 2011
66 Posts
So I can't switch easily between battery to record more stuff?
I just would like to record more minutes but no continuous.

Thanks guys for your effort!
kasuno is offline Find More Posts by kasuno
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:22 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
So I can't switch easily between battery to record more stuff?
I just would like to record more minutes but no continuous.

Thanks guys for your effort!
Just plug in an external USB battery pack and you're done! That's one thing the USB plug is for. At the same time you'll also be charging the internal battery. It can't get much simpler
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:51 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
What if you wanted to remove that weight and just fly it off the main battery? Could you use the bec on the esc or does it produce too much noise?

Does the battery have to be connected?
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere