SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:19 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coursemyhorse View Post
SNAP. Check my post HERE I posted a day or two ago complaining of the same thing. To be honest, this lens is pretty unuseable. Who wants to be mucking about with it to get it so perfectly centered to not show vigneting. It looks very amateur to me and I am surprised this lens was ever even suggested to be honest. At 180degrees, it's simply too wide to place on the end of the normal lens and not get this effect. There is a 13mm slightly smaller one with less field of view which you could try. Someone already suggested that it is also very soft in the corners though.

You could try the new Lens D wide angle 120 degree lens which is now shipping. You get the benefit of it being good quality and still very small and not too obtrusive.

I was obsessed too much with a very wide angle of view for my requirements from a small "action camera" like these keychains, but actually having viewed some of the footage online from the new gopro 2 camera with 127 degree field of view option, i actually prefer this footage. There is much less barrel distortion and images still look wide enough to be useful for my intended application. Perhaps consider this...
Don't think I'd call it unuseable? If you check out my Fisheye test video above I'd say for a lense costing a few dollars it's pretty good. Shame about the vignetting I agree. When used with the old 11# that was less of a problem IIRC. These lenses aren't specifically designed for use with mini DV cams, but for mobile phones. When I tested it with a phone it gave good results without vignetting.

The 120 might the way to go now that there's an alternative though. Having said that I like the fact that I can switch lenses between , standard, 0.67 and fisheye.
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Last edited by bobflyman; Jul 31, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:22 AM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
I've placed my order for the 808#16v2, and my 5.8GHz FPV equipment If the supplier is reading this, I want to thank them for paying attention to the community and improving their product- I can't wait to FPV *and* record HD video from my airplanes!
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:37 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
Don't think I'd call it unuseable? If you check out my Fisheye test video above I'd say for a lense costing a few dollars it's pretty good. Shame about the vignetting I agree. When used with the old 11# that was less of a problem IIRC. These lenses aren't specifically designed for use with mini DV cams, but for mobile phones. When I tested it with a phone it gave good results without vignetting.

The 120 might the way to go now that there's an alternative though. Having said that I like the fact that I can switch lenses between , standard, 0.67 and fisheye.
The fisheye from DealExtreme works well on cameras with a narrow AOV, but with a wide AOV like the current #16, the edges of the add on lens are in frame.

Here's one I posted using a #6, no vignetting, minimal distortion and quite good focus.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Feb 2012
18 Posts
I removed the IR cut filter from my camera and now I'm getting the following aberration on bright spots:

I don't know if it is a problem with the CMOS sensor or if I damaged the camera. Have you seen something like this before?
Is there any 808 developer in this forum?

By the way, the camera is capturing visible + NIR light, and it is extremely good in low light now, but with strong light it is showing this strange aberration.
jimjones12 is offline Find More Posts by jimjones12
Last edited by jimjones12; Jul 31, 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjones12 View Post
I removed the IR cut filter from my camera and now I'm getting the following aberration on bright spots: http://postimage.org/image/5tbm9ep9h/

I don't know if it is a problem with the CMOS sensor or if I damaged the camera. Have you seen something like this before?
Is there any 808 developer in this forum?

By the way, the camera is capturing visible + NIR light, and it is extremely good in low light now, but with strong light it is showing this strange aberration.
There is no developer in this forum, but the developer does keep an eager eye on most of the posts.

To me, it looks as if you've damaged one of the wires in the CMOS ribbon cable. The cable is extremely fragile and a cracked wire will show the psychedelic colors in your picture.

Time to buy a new CMOS module
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Feb 2012
18 Posts
:/
I was thinking I would have to buy a new sensor module. I will carefully inspect the cable with a magnifying glass.

What CMOS module should I buy to put on 808 #16? Do I have to buy a specific model or is there more than one option?

tks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
There is no developer in this forum, but the developer does keep an eager eye on most of the posts.

To me, it looks as if you've damaged one of the wires in the CMOS ribbon cable. The cable is extremely fragile and a cracked wire will show the psychedelic colors in your picture.

Time to buy a new CMOS module
jimjones12 is offline Find More Posts by jimjones12
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjones12 View Post
:/
I was thinking I would have to buy a new sensor module. I will carefully inspect the cable with a magnifying glass.

What CMOS module should I buy to put on 808 #16? Do I have to buy a specific model or is there more than one option?

tks!
I doubt if a magnifying glass will help you. Those wires are absolutely tiny, and even if you would find the crack, there's no way you can fix it permanently.
Are you absolutely sure the ribbon cable is correctly seated in the connector? A bad contact will give the same results as a cracked wire.

Contact your seller. You have the choice of 3 modules, A, B and D. Here's a comparison that Tom made a few days ago.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Just got my #16 cam and am starting to mess around with it.... Has anyone looked for a way to have the camera take a series of photos, like some other small cams on the market? I would like to take a pic every 1, 2, 5 or 10 seconds, for example. The functionality of this cam is amazing!
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:03 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeamondo View Post
Just got my #16 cam and am starting to mess around with it.... Has anyone looked for a way to have the camera take a series of photos, like some other small cams on the market? I would like to take a pic every 1, 2, 5 or 10 seconds, for example. The functionality of this cam is amazing!
There is no function to do that, but you can take continuous video, and use an editor to 'speedup' the playback, allowing you to do the same thing, and it it is adjustable 'after the fact', and you will still retain the original normal speed video. (some people call it decimation). It is probably mentioned in the Editing FAQ posts at the beginning of the thread.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:44 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeamondo View Post
I made a gadget to fire off stills every 1 - 30 secs, details are on Chuck Lohr's web site. I made it for the 808 but it would work equally as well with the HD Key cam. It was good for making long time lapses over several hours. But as said it can also be done by decimating a video. I've got some examples on YouTube here. One big advantage of the video over the stills method is the quality is better. The downside, even with the bigger external battery I have fitted, is a max time laspe of say 3 or 4 hours (recording time.) or with standard battery, 35 mins? I guess with a16gb card and external power you could make longer though.

My time lapses. The top one has been give some blurry treatment to make it look 'tilt shift'. The second has some normal footage and time lapse.
The last two were made with my relay gadget.

Best watched full screen

Tilt Shift using FXHome Vision Lab Studio - HD Key Cam time lapse paragliders (0 min 52 sec)

Time lapse 35 secs into video.

Scratching, Parawaiting and Paragliding. Labrador Bay, March 2012. HD Key Cam (2 min 19 sec)

Brixham Harbour Time Lapse Video - 808 Key Chain Mini DV camera (2 min 56 sec)

808 key chain mini dv - A time lapse of Torbay Skies and Brixham Harbour and Breakwater (4 min 2 sec)
Last edited by bobflyman; Jul 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:48 AM
igi
Easy Glider
Hildesheim, Germany
Joined Nov 2002
130 Posts
I am sorry to be off topic here , but have tried search all over with no results:
Where can I order the new 120 lens for the 808 V.1.
thanks for being patient
Igi
igi is offline Find More Posts by igi
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igi View Post
I am sorry to be off topic here , but have tried search all over with no results:
thanks for being patient
Igi
I take it you are referring to the #16, otherwise your post would be TOTALLY off topic!

Both the sellers listed in post #2 should be able to help you.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:12 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igi View Post
thanks for being patient
Igi
I've opened my #16s, and wouldn't consider just changing the lens. Too fraught with difficulties.
I try not to break what is working.
It's easier to get another camera with that lens.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:06 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
I've opened my #16s, and wouldn't consider just changing the lens. Too fraught with difficulties.
I try not to break what is working.
It's easier to get another camera with that lens.
I'm pretty sure it's a question of changing the whole module, not getting the lense out. (That would be hazardous.) Slip out the small contact bar, pull the module connector out, slip in the new one and replace the bar. I replaced a camera module in one of mine when a new cam cam out. It's fiddly but done with cocktail sticks not difficult. I was most scared of bending the small strip with contacts to get the case lid to fit back on.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Thanks guys.... The time lapse stuff is really cool! I wasn't so much looking to have spedup video or time lapse... Rather to get decent still shots from onboard the plane. If I set up a nice stable approach past my target, with the cam pointing sideways and shooting 1 shot per 2 seconds or so, I should end up with a couple usable pics..... Guess i will have to use one of my other cams for the stills..... Anyway, the video quality is awesome in this cam!
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo