HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:10 AM
Registered User
Donjuanzx9's Avatar
Canada, QC, Stanbridge East
Joined Jul 2010
356 Posts
#16 or #18 that is the question ?
Do they both come with a 120 degree lens?
I fly FPV, if they both don't then I have to go with the #16.
I haven't bought one yet but if you could go back would you buy a #18 or stick with #16?
Thanks for the help,I need your experience guys.
Donjuanzx9 is offline Find More Posts by Donjuanzx9
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:10 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
67 Posts
Two feature suggestions/requests
1) Would it be technically feasible for a future version to be sensitive to IR light for night filming?
2) Ditto a remote on/off feature?
micros is offline Find More Posts by micros
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:56 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
That's great the developer has made a new camera with video out ability.

Gives them a chance to compete directly with the #18 camera for more customers = more profit....
They have themselves to thank for being able to produce a more marketable product.

And.....the developers have us to thank,that's right all of us.

Why..??

We buy their product!!

We provide beta testing and feedback of the product...at our cost....sounds like a good deal for them to me.


Your threats to "shut down this thread" are too funny......keep up the good work Tom.


Ridgewalker
I don't think "we" provide beta testing. Most beta testing is done by Tom . Most people don't realize how much testing goes on behind the scenes.

With well over 10000 (I haven't counted, could be more than double) different configuration possibilities I would say it's impossible to test every single combination.

Like with any product, it's the consumer who finds the hidden bugs (very few,). Every product has bugs! However, what makes the #16 stand out way above all the other products is the speed at which the developer corrects any issues found.

And don't forget all the options the developer has added because "we" wanted them! I call that feedback taken seriously.

A true win-win product IMO. Good for them, good for us!

And why do "we" buy this product? Because it's sooo much better than any other similar products.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:04 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Here is a perfect example of a flexable adaptor
Not a good idea!

As has been stated, adds unnecessary weight.
Also makes a very clumsy (ugly) connection and increases the possibility of a bad connection by 100%. Such "in-between" adapters should be avoided at all costs.
The most un-pefect solution I've ever seen .

A simple and cheap soldered 90 (right-angled) plug is the only way to go, IMO.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Not a good idea!

As has been stated, adds unnecessary weight.
Also makes a very clumsy (ugly) connection and increases the possibility of a bad connection by 100%. Such "in-between" adapters should be avoided at all costs.
The most un-pefect solution I've ever seen .

A simple and cheap soldered 90 (right-angled) plug is the only way to go, IMO.
right not for this aplication, but just likesaid they are out there look ahrd you shall find/
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
In this video:

Contrast

kept short and to the point.

Keycam contrast deomstrations (2 min 51 sec)
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:43 PM
Registered User
bobflyman's Avatar
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micros View Post
Two feature suggestions/requests
1) Would it be technically feasible for a future version to be sensitive to IR light for night filming?
2) Ditto a remote on/off feature?
On some of the older 808's you could remove the IR filter . It was mounted on the rear of the screwed in lense. I know cos I accidentally broke one off when trying to refocus an 808 3# type. Video below was made for a bit of fun. I mounted the cam on my boot. But later you can see the effect on grass and the landscape. I think there are more IR examples on Chuck Lohr's 808 web site.

v2 of the 16# (red lense) has it stuck on the outside. (It's the red lense!) I think it wouldn't be difficult to remove it.

Wobbly test 808 key chain (MD80 clone) mini DV camera without internal infrared filter lense (1 min 39 sec)
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Last edited by bobflyman; Jul 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:55 PM
Registered User
CalvinHob's Avatar
Spain, Madrid, M
Joined May 2012
42 Posts
Well I have just ordered a wide angle lens + new case for my good old #16. Now the worst part... waiting for it to arrive

As soon as it gets here I will look for a video - howto, or record one myself.
CalvinHob is offline Find More Posts by CalvinHob
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:16 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
What happened to the green charging light?

For some reason the green charging indicator light appears to be not working. Just before noticing the issue I used the lastest version of nr16 to change some settings and may have pushed the buttons in a non standard way but that may not be a factor. I updated to firmware 36 to see if that would help but no luck. Turning on access to the card after the camera is plugged into the computer works as normal. Anyone run into this green light issue?

P.S. As mentioned previously, the auto record mode, one button start/stop has reliable starting but stopping with the power button is not reliable for me. To stop record and turn off the camera I'm using the shutter button with a 30 second timeout.

I like the time stamp to be accurate. To be sure I make a video while watching my GPS, which has an accurate clock and call out the minute change then play back the video and see if the time stamp changes with my call out. The current time stamp is accurate to less than a second.
flying circus is offline Find More Posts by flying circus
Last edited by flying circus; Jul 29, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
On some of the older 808's you could remove the IR filter . It was mounted on the rear of the screwed in lense. I know cos I accidentally broke one off when trying to refocus an 808 3# type. Video below was made for a bit of fun. I mounted the cam on my boot. But later you can see the effect on grass and the landscape. I think there are more IR examples on Chuck Lohr's 808 web site.

v2 of the 16# (red lense) has it stuck on the outside. (It's the red lense!) I think it wouldn't be difficult to remove it.
I was perhaps not clear. I meant that a future version could have the ability to film in IR light, such as many security cameras have
micros is offline Find More Posts by micros
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:07 PM
Registered User
Azuritko's Avatar
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micros View Post
I was perhaps not clear. I meant that a future version could have the ability to film in IR light, such as many security cameras have
If I am right, every digital camera can see and film in IR light. But a lot of cameras have IR filter. (maybe some good cameras have very good IR filter so you can not see any IR light) And in some still you can see IR light but maybe not that well. I have tried it on my 3# camera with IR filter, and still it can nicely see the light from remote control. Do not know how it looks with bigger IR light source. I think the 16# works same, but I do not have one to try.
Azuritko is offline Find More Posts by Azuritko
Last edited by Azuritko; Jul 29, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:13 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying circus View Post
For some reason the green charging indicator light appears to be not working. Just before noticing the issue I used the lastest version of nr16 to change some settings and may have pushed the buttons in a non standard way but that may not be a factor. I updated to firmware 36 to see if that would help but no luck. Turning on access to the card after the camera is plugged into the computer works as normal. Anyone run into this green light issue?

P.S. As mentioned previously, the auto record mode, one button start/stop has reliable starting but stopping with the power button is not reliable for me. To stop record and turn off the camera I'm using the shutter button with a 30 second timeout.

I like the time stamp to be accurate. To be sure I make a video while watching my GPS, which has an accurate clock and call out the minute change then play back the video and see if the time stamp changes with my call out. The current time stamp is accurate to less than a second.
The auto-record mode is only for starting the video. The instruction manual clearly states that you must stop the recording before turning off the camera.
It's a bit like a car. You should stop the car before removing the key, but removing the key before you stop the car may work in some cases. I haven't tried it, and I hope you don't either!

The clock speed should be always be very accurate as long as you press the keys exactly when told to do so. The program uses a high-precision timer for best results.

I don't believe the green LED is controlled by the firmware. I would think it has dedicated electronic circuitry. As such, I can't understand why you say the LED doesn't work. Does the battery at least charge correctly? If charging works, the LED itself may have failed - highly unlikely though! The green LED will not be visible if the red or yellow LEDs are on, unless you remove the case. There are three LEDs on the board, but the green LED is the darkest so will not be seen if one of the other, brighter, LEDs are on.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:15 AM
Mtz
Registered User
Mtz's Avatar
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
Thanks! I know about that post. Already read it, tried before posting on forum my problem. And I posted only after the second bad disk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Sandisk are especially vulnerable.
Kingston Class 4.
And Minitool is reporting bad disk and no other gadgets like PC, smartphones, another camera photo/recorder or some simple Nokia phone cannot reformat the cards anymore.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
58 Posts
Has eletoponline seller stopped selling the wide angle new D lens keychain camera already? Is there a problem with the lens? I cannot see any listing for it. Also, will they still not ship to UK currently?
coursemyhorse is offline Find More Posts by coursemyhorse
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:59 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coursemyhorse View Post
Has eletoponline seller stopped selling the wide angle new D lens keychain camera already? Is there a problem with the lens? I cannot see any listing for it. Also, will they still not ship to UK currently?

Here is a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808...item2a20b389dc

The hiatus in shipments to the UK is due to the Olympics which will cause customs delays.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion The REAL (#11) HD Key Cam Thread (PLEASE! READ POSTS #1-#3 BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!) Tom Frank Aerial Photography 9936 Feb 11, 2014 10:56 AM
Discussion Looking to buy #11 HD Key Cam within US Abolfazl Aerial Photography 1 Feb 14, 2012 02:59 AM
Poll Poll For Current and Future #11 HD Key Cam Users Tom Frank Aerial Photography 0 Sep 26, 2011 12:55 AM
Discussion New HD Key Cam CHAMP? 1080x720p 3 HOUR RECORD TIME! Jaybee Aerial Photography 4 Jun 02, 2011 12:39 PM