HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined May 2010
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Enjoy Deadstick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUdNuogE4jQ

Plenty of room for placing a filter on. next time you go to the Movies, Ask if they have any damaged 3d glasses? Or look for the DX..com Jello polar filter lens.
Thanks Mate!
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:07 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Considering this forum is for Radio Controlled Model Aircraft it would have to be a VERY large washroom!

It no doubt has a very broad target market but on this forum it's all about RC Models.
It seems that the developers take advice from this forum so I imagine that we have become their target market, but as you said broad appeal. One of my first quad videos with this camera I saw some people just walking around minding their own business not knowing they were being filmed and I thought it was kind of creepy. Now I try to fly away from people that don't know what I am doing because quite honestly I would be mad if someone was "spying" on me even if that wasn't their intent. I choose to ignore the fact that these cameras are probably used quite a bit for nefarious purposes because to think about it makes me a little sick.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:11 PM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
I think I'm going to wait a few months before I get one. This little gem may pass up some major cameras soon!
torque roll is offline Find More Posts by torque roll
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:22 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
It no doubt has a very broad target market but on this forum it's all about RC Models.
But unfortunately, there are a lot of people who post here that don't respect that fact and post off topic issues and "wants" that have no usefulness to our hobby segment.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:28 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
But unfortunately, there are a lot of people who post here that don't respect that fact and post off topic issues and "wants" that have no usefulness to our hobby segment.
In a way I wish that the sellers wouldn't link to this forum when selling because it would cut down on the weird level, but at the same time sometimes people that use these for things other than AP have useful things to contribute to the community. Sort of a double edged sword I suppose.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:52 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
hmm i have a few month old #16 and just opened it up to see if i have a V1 or a V2
part of the difference Tom said is there but it looks to me like that pin of the USB plug has been soldered.
Is there any other way to tell between the versions?
redline022 is offline Find More Posts by redline022
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:22 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline022 View Post
hmm i have a few month old #16 and just opened it up to see if i have a V1 or a V2
part of the difference Tom said is there but it looks to me like that pin of the USB plug has been soldered.
Is there any other way to tell between the versions?
If you can see pin 4 on the other (external side) of that socket, you must have a V2. You can try pulling the circuit board out to look at the memory chip as well, but someone else posted they have do not have the tell-tale Eorex memory chip, but do have the pin 4 connected. So maybe there were a few that that were made with the Hynix memory chip, and also had those missing components on the circuit board as well? So I give up! The ONLY way to tell with 100% certainty (apparently) is to plug in a video-out cable, load the latest firmware, toggle on video out with the GUI, and see if it works!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:06 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
sounds like a plan. being as cheap as i am i will prob make up my own cable and see what happens. rather than risk buying a cable i cannot use
redline022 is offline Find More Posts by redline022
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:15 AM
Ronnie - Sheffield UK (G0NJD)
Sheffield, S. Yorks, UK
Joined May 2007
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
A lot of cell phone stores sell a Motorola right angle miniUSB adapter that will help with the cabling situations. I've been using them for years on a couple of GPS receivers. If you want to have a more or less permanent situation you can put a short piece of adhesive lined heat shrink tube over the junction and they'll stay together better.

I've found them on eBay too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-2-0...-/130704834293

That eBay person is just an example, not a recommended seller or anything.

Jack
or even this one, looks like it has all 4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5X-Right-Ang...item43b21724e7
mallettron is offline Find More Posts by mallettron
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:50 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
329 Posts
I ordered a last 16# (I have one 16# and one 11# already) but have just received a red lense 18#, complete with usb tv out and a spare battery. digitalele889 gave me a 25% discount as I was one of the buyers caught out by their e bay mistake. Gave it a full charge and made a continuous test video. I got a miserable 9 mins recording. I was expecting at least 35 mins. (I know it takes a couple of charges to get capacity, but 9 mins?) Might be a faulty battery, or faulty charge circuit. OK, I have a spare battery but if I open the case to fit it and still get short record time I won't be able to send it back. Anyhow, just gving it another charge to re test.
Watch this space.

I didn't need or want video out and would have prefered a 'normal' 16#. Can't be bothered with the hassle of sending it back.
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined Jul 2012
25 Posts
Turn video out off again. Apparently it cuts battery life by about 10 minutes.
irononreverse is online now Find More Posts by irononreverse
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:03 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallettron View Post
or even this one, looks like it has all 4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5X-Right-Ang...item43b21724e7
You Sir are a legend!! That's exactly what we need. It even points toward the rear AND it will only have as heavy a wires as you care to solder onto it. I've already ordered some. Well done.

For those interested I plan to have three wires coming out of the camera USB plug:

GND(5), PWR(1) and VID(4)

Because GND will be common throughout my FPV system I will have two Servo plugs on the other end of the USB connector:

One with GND and PWR to plug into a spare Rx channel (a diode in-line on the PWR because my Rx will run at 6V) to power the camera in flight.
The other with just the VID wire which goes to the Video IN of the OSD system.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid View Post
A thin sheet of optically clear plastic (Lexan?) that can be cut with scissors or tin snips. Cut small pieces to be hot glued to front of housing. Replace when needed. I originally bought a 2'x2' sheet for Zagi fins but found it too flexible.

I have used this method to greatly extend the life of my lenses. Can be used with electrical tape(use paper punch to make hole in tape for view through lens) to make usable underwater cams.

I think saran wrap actually works well on it's own in many situations.

CAUTION: I have not seen the new 120 deg lens and have not tried this method on one
By going to a professional store or ebay , and getting what goes on the real cameras you can stick a filter on by cutting
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:01 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
Thanks Mate!
glad you enjoyed , if watched not many hear appriciate a good tip, as you noticed how quickly People are ready to critisize, enough aid
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:26 AM
Joined Jun 2011
58 Posts
Hey all, I bought one of these wide angle 180 degree lenses ages ago and have looked at various ways of mounting it:

In the end I hacked the case up and folded the lens ribbon cable back on itself so that it came out the case like a normal camera lens on the side. I personally find that it's not possible to mount it without the lens barel being visible on the picture. So even with the wide angle rear lens element right touching the original keychain lens, no matter how much centering I try to do aligning it, I get the edges of the barel showing in picture, like a severe fisheye/vignetting issue.
So I kind of give up using this lens.

I do not know of any other lenses that get close to the angle of view of the Go Pro 170 degrees that are suitable to try to modify a fit with these cameras. Does anyone else?

I could try the 120degree lens but the eletop seller is not shipping to Uk at the moment as said above.

Thoughts?

I just received the other week a V2 camera I think as it has the new memory chip, but the lens it the blue one.
coursemyhorse is offline Find More Posts by coursemyhorse