HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Pin 4 is video. Anyone needing a right angle could easily splice the cable, or make one from scratch. Expecting the developer to make a camera to each person's specific needs is just not realistic! Look at the video out cable that comes with the #18!
You can get some on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Mini-B...3426808&sr=8-3
irononreverse is online now Find More Posts by irononreverse
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
It doesn't necessarily help ALL users, though I can appreciate that was your intent. With the camera sitting with the buttons on top (where most people like them), the plug you show will have the cable going FORWARD towards the lens because of the way the USB socket is oriented in the camera case!
All i was trying to do was give a helpful suggestion about the camera usb plug,the picture is an example of a right angle mini usb plug......

Yes the plug would need to be 90* and wire running to the rear of the camera.

...if the camera is marketed to fpv fliers (and it is hence the cables with servo style plugs) then suggestions pertaining to use as an fpv camera should be thought of as a reasonable suggestion/request.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
From the pictures, I think the new red lens are not good anymore for spy purposes. So keep your V1 if you want to use it also as a spy camera.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:45 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
All i was trying to do was give a helpful suggestion about the camera usb plug,the picture is an example of a right angle mini usb plug......

Yes the plug would need to be 90* and wire running to the rear of the camera.

...if the camera is marketed to fpv fliers (and it is hence the cables with servo style plugs) then suggestions pertaining to use as an fpv camera should be thought of as a reasonable suggestion/request.

Ridgewalker
Oh well, it might boil down to cost of right angle plugs and charging a bit more for them. When I run into things like this, I just modify what I have for my use.

It seems the more this developer does to try to meet users wishes, the more wishes it generates!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 28, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:47 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
Free but invaluable market research!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I looked at the picture again.. now it looks like the cable WOULD go towards the rear. Oh well, it might boil down to cost of right angle plugs and charging a bit more for them. When I run into things like this, I just modify what I have for my use.

It seems the more this developer does to try to meet users wishes, the more wishes it generates!
I have terminated 4 USB B cables to date trying to make my own video cable. The first one was a fairly thin cable and when I cut it and revealed the wires inside it only had a BLK and a RED and the shield. (useless as it was obviously only a charging style cable). The next one was a little thicker and when I cut it and revealed the wires I got a little more excited as it had 4 wires and the shield. Unfortunately none of the wires were connected to pin 4. All the other cables I have tried have been the same as pin 4 is rarely used by commercial devices and so the cables rarely have a wire inside them connected to that pin. I would also like a right angle plug for my setup but everyone I have seen on eBay points forward when plugged in.

I'm awaiting the cables that are coming with the two V2's I've ordered and I'll dream up some sort of support for the USB plug if I have to. Go ahead and order lots of USB B cables (right angle as well) and when someone finds one that has the correct orientation and a cable inside that's connected to pin 4 let the forum know where you got it.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:27 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,108 Posts
A lot of cell phone stores sell a Motorola right angle miniUSB adapter that will help with the cabling situations. I've been using them for years on a couple of GPS receivers. If you want to have a more or less permanent situation you can put a short piece of adhesive lined heat shrink tube over the junction and they'll stay together better.

I've found them on eBay too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-2-0...-/130704834293

That eBay person is just an example, not a recommended seller or anything.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:41 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
A lot of cell phone stores sell a Motorola right angle miniUSB adapter that will help with the cabling situations. I've been using them for years on a couple of GPS receivers. If you want to have a more or less permanent situation you can put a short piece of adhesive lined heat shrink tube over the junction and they'll stay together better.

I've found them on eBay too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-2-0...-/130704834293

That eBay person is just an example, not a recommended seller or anything.

Jack
I guess you can easily confirm whether this adapter has pin 4 connected thru, but the problem still exists that you need a cable that connects to this and has a wire inside it that is connected to pin 4. As I've said I have destroyed four so far and none of them have a wire in the cable that is connected to pin 4.

Nice solution however for the security of the USB B connector to the camera.

Edit: looking at the pic it appears this one will face forward rather than aft of the camera.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
Is there anything anyone is using effectively as a protection lens? I would love to have a polarizing filter also, but that may be a little too wishful. This thing is going to be mounted on the front of an amphib, and was considering wrapping the whole thing in saran wrap - however I have not tried it yet to see how bad that would distort things....

Enjoy Deadstick.

Keycam polarized filter mod (3 min 30 sec)

Plenty of room for placing a filter on. next time you go to the Movies, Ask if they have any damaged 3d glasses? Or look for the DX..com Jello polar filter lens.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Jul 27, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Ey friend , i just receibed my camera , i tried to install the new firmware , and iŽ think , i have a brick....

i tried to push the reset... but i broke the reset buttom whit the clip.... really...

how can i reset now my camera?

thanks!
BAJONDIL is offline Find More Posts by BAJONDIL
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Dec 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
Question about the video-out:

I've just ordered a V2 with 120 D-lens that comes with the video-out cables.

Any tips on a low-cost small LCD screen or something that can be attached to it?
Would like to have something simple but effective to see the viewpoint when mounting the camera?
Search on ebay for: NEW 3.5" TFT LCD Color Screen Car Rearview Monitor DVD VCR

I got the 640x480 version (not widescreen btw) I see there are also 960x240 versions of what appears to be the exact same screen, but I don't know about those... 1) They have less total pixels. 2) It's a real weird aspect ratio 3) The pictures show a normal 4x3 screen
Bram1982 is offline Find More Posts by Bram1982
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:32 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,138 Posts
So what's the target Market for these gizmos ?
Those Cretins who photo/film in womens' washrooms?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:46 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
So what's the target Market for these gizmos ?
Those Cretins who photo/film in womens' washrooms?
Considering this forum is for Radio Controlled Model Aircraft it would have to be a VERY large washroom!

It no doubt has a very broad target market but on this forum it's all about RC Models.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:47 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
608 Posts
lens cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
Is there anything anyone is using effectively as a protection lens? I would love to have a polarizing filter also, but that may be a little too wishful. This thing is going to be mounted on the front of an amphib, and was considering wrapping the whole thing in saran wrap - however I have not tried it yet to see how bad that would distort things....
A thin sheet of optically clear plastic (Lexan?) that can be cut with scissors or tin snips. Cut small pieces to be hot glued to front of housing. Replace when needed. I originally bought a 2'x2' sheet for Zagi fins but found it too flexible.

I have used this method to greatly extend the life of my lenses. Can be used with electrical tape(use paper punch to make hole in tape for view through lens) to make usable underwater cams.

I think saran wrap actually works well on it's own in many situations.

CAUTION: I have not seen the new 120 deg lens and have not tried this method on one
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Last edited by Wid; Jul 27, 2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: caution
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
33 Posts
Reporting that the Transcend 32 gb Class 4 card when using the AVI firmware and enabling the continues loop recording makes the #16 car key stop recording on random occasions... Random meaning it randomly stops recording between 1 or 3 days. All files play fine though and even the last clip has the normal 180mb filesize, just as the other segments. Camera just fails to start a new clip (and delete the next oldest one)

Sandisk 2 gb class 4 works fine. Will try the 32 gb class 4 sandisk card and report back. Other unknown 8gb card has same problem, so doesn't look like it has something to do with the 32gb capacity
Bram1982 is offline Find More Posts by Bram1982