SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:05 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop1969 View Post
Hi guys new member here. Just noticed my cam videos are coming out messed up..any bright lights comes out multi colored. Is the Cam fried? any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Is this something new, or something that started after some normal operation? Most problems like this are a result of a bad CMOS chip/controller/cable connection. You might try removing the ribbon cable from the camera, clean it's trace contacts, then reinstall it. Be sure to review the removal procedure photos in the manufacturer's instructions linked in post #3... there are locking tabs on the sides of the socket on the circuit board.

If it's a new camera, I'd contact the seller for a replacement.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Is this something new, or something that started after some normal operation? Most problems like this are a result of a bad CMOS chip/controller/cable connection. You might try removing the ribbon cable from the camera, clean it's trace contacts, then reinstall it. Be sure to review the removal procedure photos in the manufacturer's instructions linked in post #3... there are locking tabs on the sides of the socket on the circuit board.

If it's a new camera, I'd contact the seller for a replacement.
Started happening today. It has been working fine since i got it (3 weeks ago).

Ill try cleaning it. Hope that helps. Thanks for your quick reply.!
porkchop1969 is offline Find More Posts by porkchop1969
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:32 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined May 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
One of my batteries went south after about 6 weeks of light use. These aren't expensive batteries, so quality and cycle life varies quite a bit. You can power the camera from an external USB power source to check for this. Start the camera recording, and then connect to USB power. It should record until the camera stop/save/continue setting kicks in. Set it for 70 min.
I think that must be it. Just been flying.
1st clip ~9 min. landed and stopped it manually.
2nd clip ~4min. Stopped recording while flying.
3rd clip ~2min. Stopped recording while flying.
4th clip ~1.5min. Stopped recording while flying.
5th clip ~1min. Stopped recording while flying.
6th clip after resting it for a bit. recorded for over 3min an I stopped it manually.
redline022 is offline Find More Posts by redline022
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:58 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop1969 View Post
Started happening today. It has been working fine since i got it (3 weeks ago).

Ill try cleaning it. Hope that helps. Thanks for your quick reply.!
If the camera has been dropped or had some other kind of physical shock (like a crash on an RC plane), that might account for a sudden change like that. Or if not, it could just be an infancy failure of a key component in the CMOS imager circuit.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:57 AM
Joined Oct 2010
36 Posts
When is a new release of this cam expected in future?
santabanta is offline Find More Posts by santabanta
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
no one knows that answer not even the sellers, so stay tuned.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
[EDIT] List last updated 21 June 2012 [(EDIT]

Currently there is a compatibility issue with certain high class rating (Class 6 and Class 10) cards. The symptom is an early cutoff at about 15-60 seconds.
The card will suddenly stop recording and remain in an undefined state. It may not even be recognized by the camera any longer.
The camara does not have any problem with slower class ratings, *so I suggest you use class 4 certified cards until this issue is resolved, but please read "Bad cards" at the end of this posting before buying.
*There is one exception to this rule. The Sandisk 16GB class 4 has also ben reported as not being recognized by the camera. Do not use this card, your camera may not perform as expected and it may not even turn on.

The camera's LED may also not function correctly when in-camera formatting these problematic cards, but the formatting will be done correctly. Allow 10 seconds if there is no visual indication when the formatting is finished.

Who else has similar problems with cards not listed? Please post so I can keep this list updated and warn others.
I will only list the first person who reports the problem for a specific card, otherwise this list will be too long. I'll try and keep this post updated.

I have had reports that the AVI firmware may work with some of the problematic cards listed, so it may be worth trying. However, you should be warned that the AVI output is non-standard. The AVI files are fine for viewing, but not for editing.

These cards will most probably not work in the #16 with firmware 0.18:

4GB Capacity
Silicon Power 4GB Class 10

8GB Capacity
HP 8GB class 10
Kingston 8GB Class 10 - But successful here and here.
PNY 8 GB Class 10 - In camera formatting not possible with this card

16GB Capacity
Kingston 16 GB Class 10
Mustang 16GB Class 10
Samsung 16GB Class 6
Samsung 16GB Class 10 but works here.
Sandisk 16GB Class 4 cards - See comments above/below - do not use
Transcend 16GB Class 6
Traxdata 16GB Class 6

32GB Capacity
Kingston 32GB Class 10
Lexar 32GB Class 10
PNY 32GB Class 10

Bad cards.
Three users (FIVE cards) (here, here and here) have reported problems with Sandisk 16GB Class 4 cards. This is the only Class 4 card with known problems. The camera most probably has nothing to do with the problem, but these cards suddenly flip to write-protect and thus become unusable. There is no way you can format or use these cards once they become write protected. Your only hope is to exchange them on warranty.

*Caution. It has also been reported the Sandisk 32GB class 6 cards may also flip to read-only if the battery becomes depleted during recording. I use these cards a lot, and to date have never had any problems.

These cards have been said to work, but no guarantee they will work in your camera

4GB Capacity
Centon 4GB Class 6
FujiFilm 4GB Class 6
Kingston 4GB Class 6
Samsung 4GB Class 6
Transcend 4GB Class 6

8GB Capacity
Adata 8GB Class 6 (PM)
Samsung 8GB Class 10
Transcend 8GB Class 6
Transcend 8GB Class 10
NoName 8GB Class 10 (yes, the card is unmarked, it has no brand name!)

16GB Capacity
AmazonBasics 16GB Class 10
HP 16GB Class 10
Patriot 16GB Class 10
Transcend 16GB Class 10

32GB Capacity
Samsung Essential 32GB Class 10
Sandisk 32GB Ultra (Class 6) but see *Caution above
Transcend 32GB Class 10

64GB Capacity (in-camera formatted to FAT32)
Sandisk 64GB Mobile Ultra XC1 (Class 6) but see *Caution above
I noticed that my Adata 16gb class 10 card doesn't record all the way.
example, i had it recording for an hour and half and it only recorded 45 mins.
the file size was 1.12gb twice and started on new file at 280mb and then stopped i guess. not sure why.
My settings on the #16 using the GUI app, shows 70min max as selected.
crosswire is offline Find More Posts by crosswire
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
I noticed that my Adata 16gb class 10 card doesn't record all the way.
example, i had it recording for an hour and half and it only recorded 45 mins.
the file size was 1.12gb twice and started on new file at 280mb and then stopped i guess. not sure why.
My settings on the #16 using the GUI app, shows 70min max as selected.
Your problem has nothing to do with the card - the battery has run out of juice!
A new battery will last between 40 mins. and 45 mins.
The clip length depends on the camera settings. From your post I assume the camera is set for 20 min. clips. That is why you have 3 clips. 2x20 minutes and 1x remainder.

You will only get 70 min. clips if you use 5V external USB battery power (or a larger battery).

If the GUI shows 70 min. clips I assume you made a mistake updating the parameters. To check, format the card, "prepare" the camera and then connect it to the PC and run the GUI. I'm sure it will show you have 20 min. clips.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Your problem has nothing to do with the card - the battery has run out of juice!
A new battery will last between 40 mins. and 45 mins.
The clip length depends on the camera settings. From your post I assume the camera is set for 20 min. clips. That is why you have 3 clips. 2x20 minutes and 1x remainder.

You will only get 70 min. clips if you use 5V external USB battery power (or a larger battery).
Ohh I see. Where can one buy the 5v battery?
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Ohh I see. Where can one buy the 5v battery?
Everywhere! I believe even the official #16 sellers have them in stock. However, how long you can record will depend on the battery capacity, measured in mAh. As a very rough guide, a 4400mAh external USB battery pack will give you more than enough power to fill a 32GB card, which will hold approx. 10 hours of video.

These batteries are named differently. Portable USB Power Pack, Emergency USB battery, etc.

See the External Power post linked in post #3 for more information.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Everywhere! I believe even the official #16 sellers have them in stock. However, how long you can record will depend on the battery capacity, measured in mAh. As a very rough guide, a 4400mAh external USB battery pack will give you more than enough power to fill a 32GB card, which will hold approx. 10 hours of video.

These batteries are named differently. Portable USB Power Pack, Emergency USB battery, etc.

See the External Power post linked in post #3 for more information.
will the iphone usb power adapter work?
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
will the iphone usb power adapter work?
Any USB power adapter that can supply approx. 300mA (or more) should work assuming they only use 2 wires. If pin #4 at the mini-USB end is in anyway connected, then don't even think of using it!! I very much doubt if this is the case.

I don't know the iPhone adapter, but if it comes with a standard 4-pin USB socket then I would try using a standard USB-to-miniUSB cable. No harm will be done as long as pin #4 at the mini-USB end is not connected. Pin #4 will not be connected if you use a standard USB cable. If there is some sort of signal on the data lines, or the data lines are pulled to ground then the adapter may not work as expected.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Isoprop, crosswire, are you sure you want to put a 5VDC battery in?
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:16 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
The reference was to an external USB (+5V) battery powered source connected to the camera USB plug, not a battery connected to the internal lipo plug. But I can see where confusion might happen, so good to clarify.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I would never, ever, even dream about connecting a 5V battery in place of the normal battery. If you do that, you are asking for trouble, sooner or later.....

I always try to use the term USB more than necessary in order to avoid all confusion. In the post in question I specifically stated using a USB battery pack. I guess I should have mentioned that the USB battery should only be connected to the USB camera socket. I would have thought that everyone would understand that, but I guess not...
The #16 was designed to be powered by external 5V USB power.
The #16 was NOT designed for any power supply above 4.2V to be connected in place of the internal battery.