HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:41 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseize View Post
The lipo wisdom I've always followed fr my RC models is to store cells around 3.8V. 3.8v. How would that apply here I wonder?
That's a good point. My guess is that if you don't expect to use your camera for a very long period and you want to store it, you might extend the battery life by discharging it for about half the time it usually runs before it shuts off.

But if you use the camera regularly, or prefer to have it ready at a moment's notice (in case you see a UFO ), I see no harm in restoring it to full charge any time it's partially discharged and you have the opportunity. I don't like waiting until the battery goes dead because (1) that might happen at an inconvenient time, and (2) I have no reason to think there's a benefit. I'm open to evidence though.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post

But if you use the camera regularly, or prefer to have it ready at a moment's notice (in case you see a UFO ), I see no harm in restoring it to full charge any time it's partially discharged and you have the opportunity. I don't like waiting until the battery goes dead because (1) that might happen at an inconvenient time, and (2) I have no reason to think there's a benefit. I'm open to evidence though.
I entirely agree. Like I originally said "the not so perfect world"
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:32 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
I never leave any battery connected to anything when I'm not there to watch it.
And I disconnect the 808s from the computer when I turn the computer off if they're connected.
The green light goes off when the computer is off.
Would the battery discharge in a camera connected to the computer in this case?
I don't know.
As has been mentioned several times, The camera Real Time Clock Chip takes a few microAmps from the battery, which eventually drops below 3volts, and the Low Voltage protection chip in the Lipo switches the battery off. Recharge will sort that out, but the clock will be wrong/
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:17 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Photo aspect ratio AR

Photo mode have wrong aspect ratio in V0.25 firmware? I read all pages since V0.25 release and I don't remember this bug, sorry.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:26 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Photo mode have wrong aspect ratio in V0.25 firmware? I read all pages since V0.25 release and I don't remember this bug, sorry.
It was mentioned a while back. I used the "search this thread" function for a thread containing all these key words: "0.25 aspect ratio"...
... and up pops:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3977
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 15, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:07 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
I already said sorry in my previous post, because I was almost sure somewhere you wrote this. But first time I searched in the first 1-5 posts, where you write a lot of things but also I expected the bugs. And if you made that photos with something circular in the picture could be more easy to detect the wrong AR. I read that post but forgot.

enjoy,
Mtz
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
I already said sorry in my previous post, because I was almost sure somewhere you wrote this. But first time I searched in the first 1-5 posts, where you write a lot of things but also I expected the bugs. And if you made that photos with something circular in the picture could be more easy to detect the wrong AR. I read that post but forgot.

enjoy,
Mtz
No apology necessary! I was trying to demonstrate how the "search this thread" function searches all the posts, not just the first 5. This can save you a lot of time finding things if you learn to use it, especially the "advanced search" accessed by the button in the search tab. That advanced function can help filter out search listings discussing things you DON'T want to be see, making it easier to find things you are looking for.

I don't post bugs in the first several posts because those are for more permanent information. Bug fixes often quickly follow their discovery, and would make bug reports in the first 5 permanent information posts obsolete, meaning I would then need to go back and revise or delete the information. Too much extra work.

When I shot the photos, I didn't know what to expect. It wasn't until after I looked at them that it was obvious (to me) that one of the images has a flattened appearance and has the wrong aspect ratio. I mention that both in the text and in the notes with the photos that circles will not appear as circles. Do I need to retake pictures showing a flattened circle, too, after all the description?
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 15, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:47 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Do I need to retake pictures showing a flattened circle, too, after all the description?
No, I was trying to say that if in that pictures was a circle I am sure not to forgot that picture and remember the bad AR. Is something like a visual remembering.
You know in that pictures the wrong AR from the first view because you know your room. Some people say something like "a picture is more than 1000 words sometimes".

enjoy,
Mtz
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 04, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
rarely I would use a photo mode on th 808 for reasons grabbing a hd720P frame is good enough for me on this economy cam
... and in most cases, it's as good as or BETTER than the still picture!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
16 Posts
Has anyone tried ebay seller 'bestdvr'? Item number 300641589871 has a 720p keychain and the title 4GB 8GB 16GB SPY KEYCHAIN CAM 720P HD 808 DVR CAMERA VIDEO Recorder 11.16.18.19N. They are $26 dollars shipped.
cyclerider is offline Find More Posts by cyclerider
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:08 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
With all the versions out there being sold, without a specific version number listed, you're taking a chance on getting crap. Like a #14.
Use the first two sellers in message 2 to be certain you're getting a useable camera.
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Yep - if he doesn't call it a #16 then it's probably not a #16 and the chances of you getting lucky and finding something better that the #16 for half the price are kinda slim. If you decide to get one and get something better then buy a lottery ticket as well.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
It is actually NORMAL power consumption. The camera has a graphics processor IC in it that is accepting the raw video stream, compressing it with a very complex encoding algorithm, then mixing the video with sound, which is also being encoded, and finally writing it to the memory card, all at 30 frames per second. This is a lot of work given the higher data rate of an HD video, so heat is a normal result. What makes it seem abnormal with this camera is the case is so small and the processor chip is very close to the wall of the case, so the heat has no where to go but into the case to be dissipated. So don't worry about it... is is normal.

Get a replacement battery. Unless it's very cold when you are recording with the internal battery alone, a new battery should solve the short recording time if your camera is otherwise in good condition.
Hello Tom,
thanks for your answer.
The cam is in good condition. Only records are slightly grey. That means, they aren't very colorful. Comparabel with my poor #3 (I got 2 of them). Can it be changed due to a config setting?
I'll order a replacement battery to improve the record time.
What is an approximately normal recording time of this cam?

regards
HenrySt is offline Find More Posts by HenrySt
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:15 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrySt View Post
Hello Tom,
thanks for your answer.
The cam is in good condition. Only records are slightly grey. That means, they aren't very colorful. Comparabel with my poor #3 (I got 2 of them). Can it be changed due to a config setting?
I'll order a replacement battery to improve the record time.
What is an approximately normal recording time of this cam?

regards
Recording time is about 40-43 min. with a healthy battery.

The color is not user adjustable, but make sure you have v0.25 firmware in your camera. It should give pretty natural colors in bright sun outdoors. It may not look vivid compared to other cameras, TV, etc., that often have artificial over-saturated colors. So compare with the colors in the actual scene. Also, there is still a bug in the firmware that can be triggered by pointing the camera at the sky, so try to avoid that. It can trigger a color shift from blue to gray in the sky with warm (yellow tint) colors at first back in ground scenes. The camera will normally recover proper white balance when ground scenes are restored.