HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
The camera can see infrared light. It's easy to check. I just took out my microSD card, connected the camera to my computer, ran AMCAP, and pointed my TV remote at the camera.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
The #16 camera sees IR.
From the IR controller for one of my Syma helicopters..
I haven't done anything to the camera at all.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
not directedat you Tom

Top seller that you deal with will ship out Ver 18 . orginal FW.

thanks no offense or pun to anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
This is a rather cryptic post, but if it's directed to me, I can say the V0.18 FW definitely has issues. I've worked closely with the #16 developer and don't pay too much attention to what the eBay sellers put in their posts to distinguish themselves from each other (they are, after all, in competition with each other to get your business).

I have tested 13 firmware versions starting with beta versions when they were given dates to identify the versions rather than version numbers which didn't start until v0.14. Several version have been released along the way, more not released, all the way up to the current v0.25. You can believe what you want from the eBay sellers, but I'm giving you the truth. V0.25 IS the best FW for this camera so far, and I am not going to post earlier versions in the general download and re-introduce known bugs that I have confirmed existed and have been squashed in a later released version. This will only add even more confusion, questions, dissatisfaction, and clutter to this thread regurgitating the problems over and over every time someone crosses paths with the bugs.

If someone wants an older version, they can send me a PM and I will send it to them, but I cannot imagine why anyone would want FW that has been confirmed to contain bugs or lesser levels of performance.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
The camera can see infrared light. It's easy to check. I just took out my microSD card, connected the camera to my computer, ran AMCAP, and pointed my TV remote at the camera.
Yes, SOME wavelengths do get passed through the filter, others do not, which is what I was getting at in my comments. Take off the IR filter completely and see what happens. Foilage turns white! There's some examples in the #11 thread. But for night vision, it's useless.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
not directedat you Tom

Top seller that you deal with will ship out Ver 18 . orginal FW.

thanks no offense or pun to anyone
OK, thanks. I've alerted the developer about some sellers shipping with obsolete firmware and the confusion this is causing. Hopefully they will all start updating the camera before shipping.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
Red Sox Territory
Joined Mar 2009
50 Posts
So many FW updates!! Well I have yet to put V25 through the testing, heres the latest of FOV differences when upgrading to V18 from the original I received (V11 I believe) and with a wide angle lens.

808 #16 HD Keychain Camera- FOV testing with updated firmware and wide angle lens - theRCexperiment (1 min 22 sec)
mmmbcn is offline Find More Posts by mmmbcn
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:02 AM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Onboard Camera

I finally mounted the keychain camera on my hobbyzone champ and got some decent footage of the surrounding area. There was also a pheasant wandering around the flight field, so I did a few low buzzes to see if I could get him on camera as well.
HZ Champ Onboard Camera - Pheasant, Crash, and Sunset over Germany (4 min 15 sec)
SpidarX is offline Find More Posts by SpidarX
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX View Post
I finally mounted the keychain camera on my hobbyzone champ and got some decent footage of the surrounding area. There was also a pheasant wandering around the flight field, so I did a few low buzzes to see if I could get him on camera as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhNYsKc4ZNw
congrads. enjoy it. remember the Champ needs the 5043 prop to get some extra umph, but the stock will do fine, a little vibration longer flight, and Pulsation may besome good/bad. it is a different feel when you got video going, looking back seeing acomplishment, an always a few Jerks on the tube cannot just say thank you for sharing.

Showed my Like and enjoyrd the clip. Always hard to get in view an object when trying. Lol.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Sep 2011
203 Posts
bugged or not??

i seem to have a problem with this #16 cam. when i first took this model out for 3x8 min flights it captured the first 2 entirely but cut the last one short by switching itself off. the vid time is configured for 70 mins in the gui. the auto shut off is set for 2mins, i'm thinking off turning it off to see if that makes a difference.
i've just used it today for the same 3x8 min flights and it switched off on all 3 flights. the captured lengths are as follows:

1st vid....1min 41secs
2nd vid...1min 21 secs
3rd vid...1min 08 secs.

on walking back to the car i thought i'd test it, see the following captured times below:
1st vid...1min 14 secs
2nd vid...0min 54 secs
3rd vid...3min 51 secs and was still going when i turned it off?

i'm using the latest firmware and gui so it's not that, also the same 8Gb sdhc kingston class 4 that i used the first time with only one switch off.
the first time this happened i did a continuos record at home and it ran for 43 mins.
today was a coolish day, would that make a difference?

does anybody know whats causing this or has had silmilar problems?

i fully charged the cam the day before i used it, it wouldn't have lost volts in that short period would it?
brianvc is offline Find More Posts by brianvc
Last edited by brianvc; Apr 12, 2012 at 06:22 AM. Reason: after thought
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:29 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvc View Post
i seem to have a problem with this #16 cam. when i first took this model out for 3x8 min flights it captured the first 2 entirely but cut the last one short by switching itself off. the vid time is configured for 70 mins in the gui. the auto shut off is set for 2mins, i'm thinking off turning it off to see if that makes a difference.
i've just used it today for the same 3x8 min flights and it switched off on all 3 flights. the captured lengths are as follows:

1st vid....1min 41secs
2nd vid...1min 21 secs
3rd vid...1min 08 secs.

on walking back to the car i thought i'd test it, see the following captured times below:
1st vid...1min 14 secs
2nd vid...0min 54 secs
3rd vid...3min 51 secs and was still going when i turned it off?

i'm using the latest firmware and gui so it's not that, also the same 8Gb sdhc kingston class 4 that i used the first time with only one switch off.
the first time this happened i did a continuos record at home and it ran for 43 mins.
today was a coolish day, would that make a difference?

does anybody know whats causing this or has had silmilar problems?

i fully charged the cam the day before i used it, it wouldn't have lost volts in that short period would it?
The battery doesn't like cold weather! To confirm this is not the problem, leave the camera at room temperature for about an hour. Then try and make a recording at room temperature.

Do you always in-camera format your cards before re-using them? This will ensure a clean FAT without reference to deleted records.

Charging the battery the day before should be fine. The battery will only lose a few mA capacity at most.

Try a different card.

Auto shut off has absolutely nothing to do with the recording time. It is the time within which you must start a recording. In your case, if you turn the camera on and wait more than 2 minutes before you press the shutter button, the camera will turn off. Once the camera is recording, auto shut off is disabled!

And last but not least, I take it you are using firmware v0.25 - you don't specifically state which version. This is most important!!

[EDIT] On re-reading your message I notice that on walking back to your car the last clip didn't automatically stop. If you were holding the camera in your hand, this would confirm the low-temperatre theory and that there is nothing wrong with the camera.
In cold weather, keep the camera as warm as possible before using it. Use some sort of insulation casing for longer flights. There have been posts about this either on this thread or the #11 thread (search the thread for "insulation").[/EDIT]
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Apr 12, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Sep 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
The battery doesn't like cold weather! To confirm this is not the problem, leave the camera at room temperature for about an hour. Then try and make a recording at room temperature.

Do you always in-camera format your cards before re-using them? This will ensure a clean FAT without reference to deleted records.

Charging the battery the day before should be fine. The battery will only lose a few mA capacity at most.

Try a different card.

Auto shut off has absolutely nothing to do with the recording time. It is the time within which you must start a recording. In your case, if you turn the camera on and wait more than 2 minutes before you press the shutter button, the camera will turn off. Once the camera is recording, auto shut off is disabled!

And last but not least, I take it you are using firmware v0.25 - you don't specifically state which version. This is most important!!

[EDIT] On re-reading your message I notice that on walking back to your car the last clip didn't automatically stop. If you were holding the camera in your hand, this would confirm the low-temperatre theory and that there is nothing wrong with the camera.
In cold weather, keep the camera as warm as possible before using it. Use some sort of insulation casing for longer flights. There have been posts about this either on this thread or the #11 thread (search the thread for "insulation").[/EDIT]
hi, when i format i always use in camera but quite often delete old files not format the card, perhaps thats the answer. yes i'm using all the latest fimware etc from this site mov 25 and new gui etc. when i was walking back to the car the cam was still on the wing so i wasn't touching it at all.
i turned off the auto shut off just in case there was some sort of bug there, i know its not related to capture time but despereate times require desperate measures.
i've just reloaded mov 25 firmware and checked config and set to record, captured 41 mins b4 stopping so seems fine on the ground. i'm wondering if the last record when i walked back to the car continued cos the camera had warmed up a bit. it was slightly chilly here in the uk but not really cold.
if temp is a problem its gonna be hard to insulate practically. temp would also explain why the 3rd vid failed on my 1st flights, methinks maybe by the 3rd flight the camera was getting cold (warm day though). i didnt think that would be a problem though as they seem to run quite warm.
b.c
brianvc is offline Find More Posts by brianvc
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:34 AM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
361 Posts
I am also experiencing some recording anomolies. Mine manifest themselvesdifferently, but ared nnoying none the less.

Yesterday I went to the zoo and did a number of 3 or so minute recordings. All was going well until about 10 minutes of recordings when the camra began turning itself off on it's own. It would record 30 to 50s and then shut off. I have never tried recording more than 5 minutes w/ the camera and tha was w/ a full charge.

I am running V.25, lipo seems fully charged and card I always formatted in camera after recording. Temps were in the mid 50s yesterday. Very disappointing.

Here's a video from the zoo that shut off early:

Day at the Zoo 2 (0 min 30 sec)
Cullen Colapietro is offline Find More Posts by Cullen Colapietro
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseize View Post
I am also experiencing some recording anomolies. Mine manifest themselvesdifferently, but ared nnoying none the less.

Yesterday I went to the zoo and did a number of 3 or so minute recordings. All was going well until about 10 minutes of recordings when the camra began turning itself off on it's own. It would record 30 to 50s and then shut off. I have never tried recording more than 5 minutes w/ the camera and tha was w/ a full charge.

I am running V.25, lipo seems fully charged and card I always formatted in camera after recording. Temps were in the mid 50s yesterday. Very disappointing.

Here's a video from the zoo that shut off early:

http://vimeo.com/40195951
This sounds like a typical "problematic" card issue. What card are you using (brand name, capacity and class rating)? All the same, you should check your battery capacity at home. Fully charge and let the camera record at room temperature until the battery is depleted. Fully charge and record outside (10C / 50F) and see how long the recordings are.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:00 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Maybe is some bad contact inside the camera. Try to put it on a fixed place, normal or upside down, or shake it after specified time you decided (15 seconds for example) after recording started and look if the video recording stops at the moment you shake it.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
USA, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined Oct 2008
361 Posts
the card was a recommended purchse by the OP, so it's legit, but I can't say it doesn't hae issues. I'll try another card and try a long recording indoors and I'll even shake the camera about. My last resort would be to tie in another 1s lipo in parallel w/ the stocker. Maybe a 1300mAh cell and attach it to my hat somehow.
Cullen Colapietro is offline Find More Posts by Cullen Colapietro