HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Sep 2005
1,054 Posts
So, question for the computer-savvy users...

When this thing is in webcam mode, does it come up as a UVC device, or as an spca5xx-style device like the bad old days?

This should probably be a standard part of the FAQ.
GoatZilla is offline Find More Posts by GoatZilla
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:10 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying circus View Post
To the developer,

Is there room in the firmware for one more teeny tiny refinement? Consider a fast blink option on video record. The slow blink forces me to watch longer to confirm the blink. In the heat of the moment that small amount of time can matter. The configuration line might look like this
LED=[1];set LED flicker when recording,0ff,1:slow ficker,2:fast flicker

An alternative would be to make the default flicker speed faster but having a choice might be best if it's feasible.
All I can say is good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:16 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Of all the issues for the developer to put on his TO DO list, a request for a faster blinking record light request is downright funny.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla View Post
So, question for the computer-savvy users...

When this thing is in webcam mode, does it come up as a UVC device, or as an spca5xx-style device like the bad old days?

This should probably be a standard part of the FAQ.
It shows as "USB PC Camera" in a web cam program device selection box. There's so few users who use as a web cam, and fewer yet who even know about looking into the hardware device manager to see where it appears. But t0 answer your question...

Device Manager in W7 shows it in the "Imaging Devices" tab, also as "USB PC Camera". Does that answer your question? FWIW, I had to open DM and look to get this far, which I assume you could do as well based on your question. You're the first to ask, so not really a FAQ (yet!)
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Of all the issues for the developer to put on his TO DO list, a request for a faster blinking record light request is downright funny.
I hope the developer is laughing, because I'm not. It takes about 1 lousy, F#^% second for the LED to start blinking! The request was just... ah... forget it!... I've gotten numb to such trivial creature comfort requests! I wish users would get real and with REASONABLE requests! In fact, I wish they would stop with requests all together at this point... THE MEMORY IS FULL.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:34 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
626 Posts
Quote:
LOL

I was thinking it would be nice if the recording indicator was red or green instead of the standard yellow when the reverse setting was set.
OnGuard is offline Find More Posts by OnGuard
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnGuard View Post
LOL

I was thinking it would be nice if the recording indicator was red or green instead of the standard yellow when the reverse setting was set.
I was thinging it should be green when recording with a fully charged battery, then change to yellow when 2/3 capacity is reached, then turn to red when 1/3 capacity was reached, then blink red slowly when 1/6 capacity was reached, then blink fast when 1/12 capacity was reached, then blink all three colors rapidly in sequence when only one minute of recording left, then turn on a 100 dB beeper when only 30 sec. left, then turn on a smoke bomb with 10 secs left, then..... There's has to be something else the camera could do after that!
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:51 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
I hope the developer is laughing, because I'm not. It takes about 1 lousy, F#^% second for the LED to start blinking! The request was just... ah... forget it!... I've gotten numb to such trivial creature comfort requests! I wish users would get real and with REASONABLE requests! In fact, I wish they would stop with requests all together at this point... THE MEMORY IS FULL.
Got it, I wonder what the response would be if the requester had to dial a phone number using a rotary phone.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Sep 2005
1,054 Posts
Quote:
It shows as "USB PC Camera" in a web cam program device selection box. There's so few users who use as a web cam, and fewer yet who even know about looking into the hardware device manager to see where it appears. But t0 answer your question...

Device Manager in W7 shows it in the "Imaging Devices" tab, also as "USB PC Camera". Does that answer your question? FWIW, I had to open DM and look to get this far, which I assume you could do as well based on your question. You're the first to ask, so not really a FAQ (yet!)
Possibly... I'm not a Windows 7 users so I don't know what that codeword means to the rest of the world. I'm actually interested in a very small webcam for use with Linux, which does have UVC support... Guess I'll just have to buy one and find out.

Thanks for checking...
GoatZilla is offline Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
I use the camera to make 'discrete' video, not for RC, and have been making a few videos every day. (I'm more in the 'body worn', not spy, catagory.) My #16 is used to document trespassers and their vehicles. The safest way to do that is without them noticing. Being able to start the camera with minimal actions can be important.

I learned about the #11 in this forum last year. The #11 I got was not quite good enough for my purpose. The #16 is working well, partly because of the more crisp image which helps with faces and license plates. I also like the key chain camers because they don't have a wide angle lens like the helmet cams.
flying circus is offline Find More Posts by flying circus
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:07 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Got it, I wonder what the response would be if the requester had to dial a phone number using a rotary phone.
Do i put all my fingers in those holes?

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:50 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,283 Posts
And lets not forget how cheap this camera is. This quality of video in such a small & lightweight package would either have been impossible or very expensive say 10 years ago
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:38 AM
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Mar 2012
65 Posts
The last few posts.....some of these suggestions are for "the birds." Leave well enough alone..it's unique selling point is surely it's simplicity...http://youtu.be/IyejmvIn1aw
clarebanner is offline Find More Posts by clarebanner
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Don't discourage ideas. Sometimes a dumb idea leads to something unexpected.

I used to be in a similar position to the #16 manufacturer. I had my own boutique fab for making products of my own design. The product catagory was new, I was leading the way in the market, there was lots of refining and improving going on. Customers bombarded me with suggestions, most of them not feasible, but I encouraged it anyway. One of the things we did in the shop was idea contests and one of the contests was on product names. $100 to the person who comes up with the name I choose for a new product. The highschool kids who came in after school to do packaging turned into little geniuses when you made it worth their while.

The camera is working for me as is. May be adjust the flicker rate only if there needs to be a firmware update for something else. May be there could be a thread for future camera ideas.
flying circus is offline Find More Posts by flying circus
Last edited by flying circus; Apr 06, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:19 AM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
To the developer,

Is there room in the firmware for one more teeny tiny refinement?

Can the 808 #16 keychain cam please make Greek frappe coffee? I attach a picture to assist in firmware development, and I volounteer to be a betta tester.

Sorry gents, I could not resist.

P.S. The cam works great for me out of the box too, and the GUI software could not be easier to use or better documented. Great job! A wider lense would be nice, but it is a great product nevertheless.

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias