SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:16 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,994 Posts
A bit of indoor action/carnage as Sumo's go for it. Really impressed with the image quality of the #16
Sumo Swarm Smackdown at SWMEE (11 min 20 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:20 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,582 Posts
Yup overall the #16 is a great little video camera. I'm just a little disappointed with the 'improved' lens ... I may have a play with the focus to see if I can get it any better, otherwise I'll be putting the original module back in.

For comparison this is from a video shot the evening before with the original lens. Taken from a hovering quadrocopter so the whole frame is slightly affected by vibration/movement but there's much less variation in sharpness.

Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:37 PM
Official Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
But... but... but.... that's exactly what the developer has done, within the limits of the camera's hardware! That was my point...

That said, new firmware with different functions is a possibility, it's just that it's never going to satisfy every one.
My posts reflect some thoughts and ideas after reading hundreds of not thousands of posts and also from using my #16 for a while; second one just arrived yesterday by the way!

Of course it is not possible to satisfy everyone... but you and your allies have managed to do a great job with all the improvements that were delivered along the way. Please don't give up and keep up the great work.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:57 PM
4.2V of pure Kraut power
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
459 Posts
I like the #16 - great little cam indeed! Here a video with the normal lens, mounted under the wing of a Model Tech Piper Super Cub, taken last weekend:

Key cam #16 In-flight clip (6 min 56 sec)

(Edit: And I found out how to remove the date/time label and rotate the image by now... )

- Frank
bzfrank is offline Find More Posts by bzfrank
Last edited by bzfrank; Apr 03, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Satisfied Customer

After seeing this thread and all the videos, I ordered the #16. It arrived in just over a week! Pretty fast international shipping if you ask me. I am really pleased with the video quality. It takes better videos than the camera on my Desire HD, which also takes videos in 720. The only slight issue I have seen so far was when I was filming my plane on an overcast day, and you could see the camera trying to adjust to the bright sky or the dark ground (this was with v0.18). Seems like my other camera is a little smoother adjusting the exposure. But this is hardly a compliant from a $40 camera! Today I updated to the v0.25 (thanks for making such a thorough step-by-step guide!) and filmed my plane again. It was a little more sunny out, but I didn't notice the camera adjusting the exposure as much. All in all, the camera is great. I'm looking forward to mounting the camera on different things to get some interesting shots!
SpidarX is offline Find More Posts by SpidarX
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:18 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
626 Posts
I ran out of patience with this thing between trying to get it focused, the case tabs breaking off, and the lense barrel being cracked. So it met mister sledge hammer.
OnGuard is offline Find More Posts by OnGuard
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:19 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
My bag of cameras has the camera number on each one!

The number 1 cause of failed firmware installation is user error. And so is the last one...!

Every camera has a number painted on the top except the #11, it only has HD. I figured with the #11 HD camera simply painting on HD would be sufficient, but oh no, we now have the #16 (which is much better). I had been meaning to renumber the #11 but I just didn't get around to it. It's that pesky work thing.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Apr 03, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:36 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
Yup overall the #16 is a great little video camera. I'm just a little disappointed with the 'improved' lens ... I may have a play with the focus to see if I can get it any better, otherwise I'll be putting the original module back in.

For comparison this is from a video shot the evening before with the original lens. Taken from a hovering quadrocopter so the whole frame is slightly affected by vibration/movement but there's much less variation in sharpness.

Wait for a bright sunny day before making any conclusions. Gray days always look worse...

The improvements with the new lens were mainly visibly better color rendition, particularly in greatly reducing the pink overcast the original shows indoors and on outside on gray surfaces, like streets, some clouds, etc. when there is no bright sun for illumination. They both have pretty much the same sharpness of detail when adjusted for best focus.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
Official Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnGuard View Post
I ran out of patience with this thing between trying to get it focused, the case tabs breaking off, and the lense barrel being cracked. So it met mister sledge hammer.
Geeee... you sound like my brother-in-law, but he is not from Indiana.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnGuard View Post
I'd have gladly taken it off your hands... $9 (delivered) and a bit of tape or glue would have made it good as new!
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:01 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
For only $8 I can deliver a bigger hammer!

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:22 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
626 Posts
I'll probably order another one, but this time leave it alone and not mess with it. At least I will already have 2 spare batteries.
OnGuard is offline Find More Posts by OnGuard
Last edited by OnGuard; Apr 03, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:22 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,882 Posts
Here's a new one...

Every time i plug the camera in to the pc to view/transfer the files....the pc shuts down.

Yesterday no problems,matter of fact i have been doing it that way from day one and never had an issue.

Tried 3 times and each time soon as i plugged in the camera to the pc it shut down....running XP.

So,figured i'd remove the card and place it in the card reader and see if the pc would shut down.

Nope,it didn't and i can read the files fine from the card reader.

Ever hear of this happening before?

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Every time i plug the camera in to the pc to view/transfer the files....the pc shuts down.

Yesterday no problems,matter of fact i have been doing it that way from day one and never had an issue.

Tried 3 times and each time soon as i plugged in the camera to the pc it shut down....running XP.

So,figured i'd remove the card and place it in the card reader and see if the pc would shut down.

Nope,it didn't and i can read the files fine from the card reader.

Ever hear of this happening before?

Ridgewalker
That's a new one on me! Sounds like perhaps your USB cable has a short between the +5V line to ground. Are you using a standard USB cable and not some specila cable for some other device? I'd think it's pretty severe problem to cause a PC to shut down. Just guessing ...
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:47 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,882 Posts
Yup,standard cable,same one i've been using from day one.
Use the cable w/ the camera and it shuts down,plug the card reader into the same cable and all works good...go figure.
I see there is also a ne FW version 25...the camera still has 18 iirc.
I'm aware of the start/stop save issue but i have always turned the camera off between each clip so never noticed any issue as others had....suppose i should upgrade although the rotating of the pic is really not needed by me.

Not really sure why this shutting down has started but it sure is weird that it did.

I would power on the cam,get the yellow light meaning the cam is on,plug it in and off went the pc.lol

EDIT:
Just tried to plug the cam into the pc in web cam mode (no memory card) and it worked no problem,also with the cam off and i plug it in the green led lights indicating the battery being charged.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Apr 03, 2012 at 06:59 PM.