HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:28 PM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
Welcome to RCGroups, HJMDally! And please don't worry, the rest of the site is nothing like this thread.
I totally agree. It's strange how different forums have different views on this. Some welcome questions to the point of saying no question is too trivial, we are here to help. Then you get the opposite extreme.

Myself I have just ordered a #16 having owned a #11 for a while. A few things puzzle me about the #16 version. I have scoured the first postings in this thread. Spent a long time reading though a lot of the postings. Used search. But I don't have the time to plough through the whole 258 pages in case its buried in there somewhere. But I won't ask in case I get my head ripped off for missing it. I will keep on looking.
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wszim View Post
I made a holder/stand to the car. Thanks to my system to automatically start the video recording is switched on after turning the ignition. Therefore my camera has now two velcro - one from the bottom to the helmet and the second from the top to the car

Can you tell me how you made that work as soon as you turned on your igntion?
josipm is offline Find More Posts by josipm
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josipm View Post
Can you tell me how you made that work as soon as you turned on your igntion?
Did you see the Posting from wszim Here ?
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:13 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblister View Post
I totally agree. It's strange how different forums have different views on this. Some welcome questions to the point of saying no question is too trivial, we are here to help. Then you get the opposite extreme.

Myself I have just ordered a #16 having owned a #11 for a while. A few things puzzle me about the #16 version. I have scoured the first postings in this thread. Spent a long time reading though a lot of the postings. Used search. But I don't have the time to plough through the whole 258 pages in case its buried in there somewhere. But I won't ask in case I get my head ripped off for missing it. I will keep on looking.
You seem to have 'paid the entry fee'
What are your problems?
Mike
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Feb 2012
49 Posts
I have firmware 0.18 installed. Do you recommend me installing 0.23? Any change apart from the ones already mentioned? I do not have problems with leds and I don't use the in-camera formatting. Any improvement in video quality?
Gradius is offline Find More Posts by Gradius
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:32 PM
Happy when flying!
France, Aquitaine
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
Here is my latest video with 0.23 and a nice light conditions day
Rear view is #11

Two lonely trees (FPV 808#16) (5 min 39 sec)

Does someone already asked for a "selectable" framerate for the #16?

For many of us living in PAL countries, it could be useful to be have the possibility to use 25fps
kjrell is offline Find More Posts by kjrell
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:40 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
I have firmware 0.18 installed. Do you recommend me installing 0.23? Any change apart from the ones already mentioned? I do not have problems with leds and I don't use the in-camera formatting. Any improvement in video quality?
If you are using the AVI version, you've caught the only changes. If you are using the MOV version, there is also a S/S/C bug fix as noted in post #4 in the firmware download icon note. The changes from the prior version are always listed in the firmware download icon notes.

I recommend user always update their firmware to the latest version.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:44 PM
vrc
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrc View Post
Hi, I have also experienced this same issue with "last file corrupted", but didn't think twice about it.
In fact, I only experienced it when testing an external battery. The one I use is the 4th picture in Isoprop's "The definite Guide to Power connectors, charging, and other power related questions" (it says "Price about $17..."). When using internal battery, I never experience "last file corruption". When I use this external battery, I always have a last file corrupted. As a workaround, I am recording small files of 5 mins each... that way when I lose a file I don't lose too much recording and just trash the file.

I am also aware that there is a tool out there to repair files that Tom Frank mentioned in a FAQ (ttp://grauonline.de/cmsimple2_6/en/?Solutions:HD_Video_Repair_Utility) but I didn't have a use for it yet.
I suppose this issue is related to power starvation at the end of the battery? Is there a way to avoid it? Can we hope that a software modification could fix this one day? Thanks!
Hi, as discussed in another post, following Tom's recommendation, I tested again with firmware MOV 0.23, (was MOV 0.18 before) but I got the same results, for all 4 cameras: the last piece of movie seems corrupt. I cannot open it with my default player, and did not search further. As I mentioned previously, this does not happen when recording with the #16 alone (I retested it), but only when I record using an external battery. The one I use is the 4th picture in Isoprop's "The definite Guide to Power connectors, charging, and other power related questions" - where it says "Price about $17..."). I can live with it, when I use this external battery I get 200 good minutes of recording, I don't care if I lose a few minutes, and by the way, I see there are tools out there to try to salvage them if neeeded. Just curious as why it would happen.
vrc is offline Find More Posts by vrc
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:55 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,190 Posts
Quote:
It's not a forum issue, it's a thread issue, and this thread and the #11HD camera thread before it have something that very few threads have... i.e. 5 posts with all the information most new users need, with many of their questions, both present and future, already asked and answered and kept updated as much as possible by your truly, with some key help from several other users. This takes a lot of time and was done to help new users help themselves, with a request made to them to do so right in the thread title. So this thread was never meant to be an oracle where you just log on and ask questions, expecting someone to give the answer without putting in some self help effort first. Yet on a daily basis, someone doesn't take the time to do so, expecting someone else to do it for them. For those who visit the thread frequently and want to see new discussions, video samples, etc., it gets a bit boring to see the same questions over and over, and very tiring to keep answering them when many are answered in the reference posts. That's why you see the terse reponses. So it's definitely NOT that we don't want to help people, or this thread would not be here and structured as it is.

If you have a question that was not answered in the first several posts or found by a search, ask away!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:15 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,465 Posts
Greetings all..

Just received my 808 #16 and starting to play with it the first time on my Windows 7 32 bit PC and I have my first question.

I don't have an SD card yet (probably pick one up tomorrow) and when I plug the 808 16 into the PC the yellow light stays on (no green light indicating charging) and the pc does not recognize the camera as a drive.

Also I downloaded NR16Setup vers. 1.0.0.7 and it does not see my camera.

Do I need the SD card prior to being able to do anything with the camera connected to my pc?
Or is there another issue?

Any advise would be helpful,
D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFloth View Post
Greetings all..

Any advise would be helpful,
D-Man
Did you press the power button and turn the camera on?
If you have no SD card you have no storage so of course no drive appears (you may get a drive letter but nothing below that).
You *need* a card unless you just want a webcam.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:53 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Did you press the power button and turn the camera on?
If you have no SD card you have no storage so of course no drive appears (you may get a drive letter but nothing below that).
You *need* a card unless you just want a webcam.
These are the steps I've taken and the response from the device:
- Plug the camera into usb cable already pluged into pc.
(Yellow light comes on... blinks 3 times and stays on).

- Press and hold power button with device pluged in
(Yellow light goes out... all lights off at this time)

- At this time camera becomes unresponsive to all button pushes untill it's unpluged from the usb cable

- Unplug device from pc, press the power button with device unpluged from usb cable.
(Yellow light blinks 2 times fast... 25 times (once per second) then light goes out).

I have only seen yellow from the display.. no red or green at any time.

Suggestions?

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is offline Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:59 PM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
You seem to have 'paid the entry fee'
What are your problems?
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post

If you have a question that was not answered in the first several posts or found by a search, ask away!
Thank's for that. Sometimes the answers are blindingly obvious but still get overlooked. My confusion is centred around the Movie Cycle Time with setting between 5 and 70 mins. Is this purely for loop recording use? I can't try it as mine hasn't arrived in the post yet. If this setting is active in non-loop recording mode, then what is the purpose. Why not just have the longest time possible? Similarly is the 7 Mbps vs 10 Mbps a quality vs smoothness choice?

I have read about the two versions of the firmware for MOV and AVI files respectively and one of the negatives of MOV files is the small gap between clips. Surely with a 70 min cycle time this isn't a problem? Or am I missing something. I am hoping to use MOV files as I only use a Mac for video editing. I am sure this is explained in the bowels of the thread but after a good time spent trawling I have not had much luck.
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
Last edited by Roblister; Mar 25, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined May 2010
334 Posts
on board flight with my kk hexa.

MINI0004 (1 min 2 sec)

how do i get rid of the vibs? tyvm
bigbro3760 is offline Find More Posts by bigbro3760
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:19 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Thank's for that. Sometimes the answers are blindingly obvious but still get overlooked. My confusion is centred around the Movie Cycle Time with setting between 5 and 70 mins. Is this purely for loop recording use? I can't try it as mine hasn't arrived in the post yet. If this setting is active in non-loop recording mode, then what is the purpose. Why not just have the longest time possible? Similarly is the 7 Mbps vs 10 Mbps a quality vs smoothness choice?
Cycle time has been made variable mainly for loop recording with external battery. it lets you choose the lenght (and thus size of each file). E.G. Using short files means that if you should crash and cause the card to eject, then the resultant unclosed(corrupt) file can be lost.

The normal Internal battery lasts for approximately 40 mins.
Quote:

I have read about the two versions of the firmware for MOV and AVI files respectively and one of the negatives of MOV files is the small gap between clips. Surely with a 70 min cycle time this isn't a problem? Or am I missing something. I am hoping to use MOV files as I only use a Mac for video editing. I am sure this is explained in the bowels of the thread but after a good time spent trawling I have not had much luck.
Yesterday Tom gave a good run down on MOV V AVI.

F.Y.I. even though Apple invented the MOV file structure, their QuickTime progam is not one of the best. The PC version sinks all but the very fastest PC without trace in HD

The Apple aficionados will advise you more on what is the best program on that platform - or maybe you can help them if this is old hat to you .

Unfortunately the GUI program is for the Windows platform only & no one has reported trying it on the Mac under Wine (or other windows emulators).

Was this any Help, or did I confuse you more ?
Mike