HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:30 AM
Joined Oct 2011
849 Posts
deleted
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Last edited by syzygyQ; May 22, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:08 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
mov or avi

anybody tried the mov and the avi firmware for the #16, i'd like some opinions on which is preferable with your reasons as why you prefer one against the other.
thanks.
brianvc is offline Find More Posts by brianvc
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:35 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvc View Post
anybody tried the mov and the avi firmware for the #16, i'd like some opinions on which is preferable with your reasons as why you prefer one against the other.
thanks.
This subject is well (and repeatedly) covered in the body of the thread, and also covered in the first five, upto to date, FAQ posts.
Using the Thread Search Button will also help you make your mind up for your self, because everyone has different requirements.
Mike
P.S. specific problems that are not answered in the FAQ are very welcome here - just look at the last 20 or so posts about SD card problems.
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:24 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarebanner View Post
I have this little camera for over a month now and I really like it. I have encased the camera in the little empty tick tack box..it prevents me (a) from losing the camera (b) focusing the camera on what I want to film and (c) also helps to steady the camera while videoing. I just want to share the the audio quality with you...http://youtu.be/412AyMv8uZY

This was nice thank you..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Mar 2012
73 Posts
This morning I updated firmware from 17 to 23 expecting trouble and got some. After the update I put the micro sd card in a SD adapter and put that in an sd card reader and connected that to a USB connector on my XP machine. Drive E appeared but when I double clicked on that the system says insert drive, meaning card not accessible. So I move the reader to another USB connector on the computer. Now I can read the card but when I try to delete the firmware bin file the system refuses saying the file is in use by another program. So I remove the card reader from the second USB connector then remove the micro sd adapter from the card reader. Then I insert the sd card reader without the micro sd adapter back in the first USB port then put the micro sd adapter in the reader. After following that order of steps the micro sd card is readable and the bin file deletes without issues.

Back in the day when I was in the PC business we would call that 'waving the dead chicken.'

Sorry if this appears in another post. I haven't read all 3800 of them.
flying circus is offline Find More Posts by flying circus
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarebanner View Post
I have this little camera for over a month now and I really like it. I have encased the camera in the little empty tick tack box..it prevents me (a) from losing the camera (b) focusing the camera on what I want to film and (c) also helps to steady the camera while videoing. I just want to share the the audio quality with you...
Wow. Its been a l o n g time since I heard that one.
Thanks
Mike
edit - the tune that is /edit
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Mar 24, 2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:57 AM
vrc
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Are you running the latest firmware MOV v0.23? It's been a while since I tested for last file being corrupted, but I don't recall having the problem the last time I checked.
Hi,
I was running MOV 0.18 firmware when I had these issues; I loaded the latest firmware recently, and indeed, I did not test again with MOV 0.23; I will be testing this WE and will let you know.

I also noticed the potential trick for using dd and trying to salvage the SD cards... I will try this with my 3 SanDisk 16G Class 4 that turned "read only" after 4-5 uses and will share my results. I'm pretty familiar with Unix/Linux but have little time in my hands. Cheers and thank you all, it's a great thread!
vrc is offline Find More Posts by vrc
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:58 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrc View Post
Hi,
I was running MOV 0.18 firmware when I had these issues; I loaded the latest firmware recently, and indeed, I did not test again with MOV 0.23; I will be testing this WE and will let you know.

I also noticed the potential trick for using dd and trying to salvage the SD cards... I will try this with my 3 SanDisk 16G Class 4 that turned "read only" after 4-5 uses and will share my results. I'm pretty familiar with Unix/Linux but have little time in my hands. Cheers and thank you all, it's a great thread!
Thanks. The Linux CLI procedure was well documented in the recent post as you likely read, so I'm mainly interested in a Windows solution for this thead, preferably one with a utility program (like "gparted"?) having a user GUI to avoid typing errors with CLI command strings. If you find one such solution, I'll link to it in the FAQs here.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:24 PM
The Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
408 Posts
Quote:
...I also noticed the potential trick for using dd and trying to salvage the SD cards... I will try this with my 3 SanDisk 16G Class 4 that turned "read only" after 4-5 uses and will share my results. I'm pretty familiar with Unix/Linux but have little time in my hands. Cheers and thank you all, it's a great thread!
Some brand of USB memory sticks appear to have their partition table in ROM along with a hidden partition containing auto-run Windows software; SanDisk may be one of them. In that case, using DD would work only on the writable partition. I don't know if any brand of SD cards use the same approach though; it would seem possible since some SD cards cannot be formatted by #16 camera. It should be noted that #16 camera repartitions microSD card and keeps the first 4MB for its own use; partition #1 starts at sector 8192 (4MB).

My post was based on an actual case involving a KINGSTON 8GB microSD card.
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000
Last edited by therau2000; Mar 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Add precision.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying circus View Post
This morning I updated firmware from 17 to 23 expecting trouble and got some. After the update I put the micro sd card in a SD adapter and put that in an sd card reader and connected that to a USB connector on my XP machine. Drive E appeared but when I double clicked on that the system says insert drive, meaning card not accessible. So I move the reader to another USB connector on the computer. Now I can read the card but when I try to delete the firmware bin file the system refuses saying the file is in use by another program. So I remove the card reader from the second USB connector then remove the micro sd adapter from the card reader. Then I insert the sd card reader without the micro sd adapter back in the first USB port then put the micro sd adapter in the reader. After following that order of steps the micro sd card is readable and the bin file deletes without issues.
The firmware beta testers have installed firmware dozens and dozens of times with no issues whatsoever. The updating process itself works when the procedure is done exactly per the instructions and we have not had and don't expect any problems. The problems reported here all seem to be related to flakey memory cards, connections, or USB cables.

The problem you described and the "solution" sure sounds like you might have a flakey USB cable or card reader connections.

I just want to alleviate any undue fear or expectation that updating firmware is likely to have problems.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 24, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:10 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Hi,
I just did a new test with v0.23 firmware shooting 5 min. clips, and the last clip before the battery died was 2:37 min. long, so the last clip IS saved. The v0.18 had a bug where the video would not restart to resume the S/S/C process if you manually stopped a recording and then started a new one without first re-booting the camera. Maybe that is what you saw with the prior firmware? This bug was squashed in the v0.23 firmware.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
This subject is well (and repeatedly) covered in the body of the thread, and also covered in the first five, upto to date, FAQ posts.
Using the Thread Search Button will also help you make your mind up for your self, because everyone has different requirements.
Mike
P.S. specific problems that are not answered in the FAQ are very welcome here - just look at the last 20 or so posts about SD card problems.
agreed firmware specs/installation is well covered but what i would like to see is opinions on anybody who has tried both mov and avi firmware for the 808#16. i know it is only a users personal opinion but i like to read reviews too and in essence they are only personal opinions soundly based or otherwise.
Last edited by brianvc; Mar 24, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:43 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvc View Post
agreed firmware specs/installation is well covered but what i would like to see is opinions on anybody who has tried mov and avi firmware for the 808#16. i know it is only a users personal opinion but i like to read reviews too and in essence they are only personal opinions soundly based or otherwise.
There are no "reviews, here, per se. The AVI and MOV formats are just containers for the H.264 encoded video and it's audio. There is no difference in quality! The differences in files size is negligible. The ONLY advantage of AVI (mentioned in post #4) is it can prevent loss of video during the 2-3 sec. between the S/S/C time period between clips. It does this by buffereing 1 sec. of video from the prior clip, and repeating it on the following clip, so they can be overlapped and joined to make a seamless long video from the small clips. But therein lies the disadvange... the AVI format is non-standard and many common editors cannot edit the video in it's native format. The work around is to re-encode the video before editing.

You can find other discussion with the "search this thread" function. Use key words like "AVI pro con" or "AVI advantage", etc.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Sep 2011
200 Posts
Cheers Tom, thats made it clearer to me.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:19 PM
The Android Developer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Mar 2012
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Thanks. The Linux CLI procedure was well documented in the recent post as you likely read, so I'm mainly interested in a Windows solution for this thead, preferably one with a utility program (like "gparted"?) having a user GUI to avoid typing errors with CLI command strings. If you find one such solution, I'll link to it in the FAQs here.
There are several 'SD card revive' solutions on the Web. Although I have not tried it myself, this one looks simple and promising: http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/01/18/h...-7-on-htc-hd2/
therau2000 is offline Find More Posts by therau2000