HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
#16 Camera

(snip) power-related questions and is thus fairly long. However, I hope you will find the answer to your question.(snip)

(snip) Since you can't physically turn the battery off, the battery will always drain in order to keep the clock running.
OK I take it since the battery is changeable it must be possible to have it disconnected from the power without harm (I assume changing the battery requires resetting the clock).
Does it retain the clock hidden text etc when changing the battery (I assume so as these are on the card)?

if this case I wonder at the possibility of powering the camera from the lipo of a single cell model such as the mQX in order to save weight.

Is this possible or would the current draw of the model knacker the camera, or cause it to cut?

I've experimented with a busted spy cap cam board (overheating when USB attached) without success, worked in hand for one test, but the cams remote is fried now (more probably due to me chopping it about like a caveman), never got a successful flight vid.

The Acme works off the model's power supply after all.
docinfrance is offline Find More Posts by docinfrance
Last edited by docinfrance; Mar 16, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:09 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgaba View Post
Anyone here have any idea why this might be happening?
I have had this little camera for about 2 weeks now and have been experimenting with different mounts on a couple of my planes. I have made a couple of 10 minute videos with no problem. Now during the last three attemps the camera just stops recording.
Stopped one time after 5 minutes or so, the next video stopped after about three minutes, and then at about 6 minutes.

I updated the firmware to version 18 as soon as I received it. I have a Sandisk card.
Is your card one of the problem cards that record then stop? This question has been asked many times, and why the FAQ in post #3 about flash cards is kept up to date with a list of cards that stop recording for some unknown reason.
I assume your battery is not dying from infancy failure (it happens!)
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 16, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:09 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrc View Post
Hi, sorry to only answer now, yes: I tried many ways of formatting; I will keep trying for a little bit if I have other ideas. I have a question though. My cards were all formatted "in camera". Is there a real difference between formatting in-camera and other means, for example Windows 7 ? Could this algorithm be somewhat defective? Has everyone been doing the same or have I "followed the book" too closely???
Thanks everyone.
I once formatted a card, Tanscend I think, in a #3 cam while connected to the USB. I used the Panasonic utility. It wiped the card clean, but the camera would not turn off, fixed by reboot. Also the card could no longer be used. Fixed it by reformat in a Casio Exilim.

Not saying this is relevant to your case, but I never format a card in the camera since then.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docinfrance View Post
OK I take it since the battery is changeable it must be possible to have it disconnected from the power without harm (I assume changing the battery requires resetting the clock).
Does it retain the clock hidden text etc when changing the battery (I assume not as these are on the card)?

if this case I wonder at the possibility of powering the camera from the lipo of a single cell model such as the mQX in order to save weight.

Is this possible or would the current draw of the model knacker the camera, or cause it to cut?

I've experimented with a busted spy cap cam board (overheating when USB attached) without success, worked in hand for one test, but the cams remote is fried now (more probably due to me chopping it about like a caveman), never got a successful flight vid.

The Acme works off the model's power supply after all.
This has also been asked many times. See the FAQ's on external power. A single external lipo can be used, with some precautions. What is the mAh rating of the battery in the mQx? I think it's too small to power both the camera and the mQX. The camera stops recording when it's input voltage drops to about 3.7V, long before the battery becomes useless for flying. And a large battery that can power both for your desired flight duration is most likely heavier than the two individual batteries with all the extra wires, plugs, etc.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepEastKilla View Post
Well, I finally got my 16 today and like a fool I couldnt be happy with the 17 firmware. Ive go to work in a few so forgive me. I know others have had similar issues and ive searched but didnt find anything that helped me. Everything was working fine and i wanted to update the FW. I downloaded the 18 MOV file and extracted it to my desktop. I followed the instructions to update and everything seemed to be going smoothly until the point where I needed to let go of the button when the flashing yellow light started. I saw the flashing yellow light and let go right away. The fast flashing yellow lasted for only 1 or 2 seconds and then a solid yellow light came on for another few seconds, but there was no other flashing lights after that. I wasnt sure if it worked or not so i went forward and deleted the FW file from the card. I originally tried with the back door method but the computer wont recognize the camera anymore so I pulled the card out and put it in my laptop with a card reader. I deleted the FW file and it still wont work. I went back and deleted all the files on the card with the laptop and put the card back in the camera and it still wont work.

As it stands right now the cameras green light turns on when plugged into my computer. I can turn the camera on and the red light stays on, but I cannot change between photo and video mode ( it stays on red the whole time no matter what I do). I can turn it off and it will just go red again when I turn it back on. I took out the card and turned it on and the camera wont even switch to the yellow light signally there is no card, it simply stays solid red.

I tried resetting it multiple times but it doesnt do anything either. Im sorry for the crappy writing and lack of punctuation in this post but like I said ive gotta get to work and Im a little on edge right now. Sorry if this is a simple fix or something, Ive read over most of the thread and didnt find anything but its possible i missed something. Ill add more info later when Im home.

thanks for any help!
I assume you did not have the camera connected to the PC USB port when you attempted the firmware update, you did not rename the firmware .BIN file, and your battery has a good charge in it.

All I can say is the step by step procedure I documented in post #4 works for me every time! Did you try to flash in the firmware a second time. If so, and it still does the same thing, maybe the .BIN file got corrupted during the download. Download a new v0.18 firmware file from my post #4 and try again exactly per the instructions in post #4.? Sometimes a device balks at accepting firmware and you just have to show it who's boss!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:11 PM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
This has also been asked many times. See the FAQ's on external power. A single external lipo can be used, with some precautions. What is the mAh rating of the battery in the mQx? I think it's too small to power both the camera and the mQX. The camera stops recording when it's input voltage drops to about 3.7V, long before the battery becomes useless for flying. And a large battery that can power both for your desired flight duration is most likely heavier than the two individual batteries with all the extra wires, plugs, etc.
Yeah, thought maybe it was asked before but even advanced searching threw up too many hits to filter through, so thanks for coming to my aid.

I'm running 550mAh Hyperions that still have 3.8v+ when I bring her down, the mQX LVC is 3.7v too, Before that time I'd be looking to bring it home rather then filming.
Shaving the battery weight off would really help with the mQX . I'm more interested in knowing if it's possible to experiment with this without it buggering the cam.
Will the cam's LVC protect it?
docinfrance is offline Find More Posts by docinfrance
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
New Firmware v0.23 MOV and v0.22 AVI

I have just posted the new subject firmware in the post #4 for download. The changes are a bug fix for inconsistent LED flashing during in-camera formatting, and an updated in-camera formatting routine to go with it.

I also have some bad news on the VGA 60 fps mode. The CMOS module controls this video mode, and it uses a different video capture mode to get the higher frame rate. Although the developer was successful in getting the camera to output 60 unique frames per second (not frame-doubled as was the early case), the video quality is much reduced. It appears the camera tries to retain the most of the native angle of view, but to output at 60 fps, it uses what appears to be a "pixel binning" technique to just capture a reduced number of pixels in each frame. The result is a much reduced video sharpness and loss of detail, much like you would get by reducing the bit rate to a low value when re-encoding a video. The bottom line is the video quality did not meet the developer's expectations, nor mine, and this mode will no longer be pursued with the current camera hardware. The firmware has retained the standard VGA 640x480 30 fps option for those who may want to use it for merging with older VGA resolution video.

The good news is better hardware and wider angle lenses are both being actively pursued, so better things can be anticipated as time goes by. In the interim, we still have the excellent #16 720p mode to keep us going.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docinfrance View Post
Yeah, thought maybe it was asked before but even advanced searching threw up too many hits to filter through, so thanks for coming to my aid.

I'm running 550mAh Hyperions that still have 3.8v+ when I bring her down, the mQX LVC is 3.7v too, Before that time I'd be looking to bring it home rather then filming.
Shaving the battery weight off would really help with the mQX . I'm more interested in knowing if it's possible to experiment with this without it buggering the cam.
Will the cam's LVC protect it?
The camera has no LVC! The camera's battery does! It's a small circuit board soldered to the battery tabs. If you pirate one of those from an old battery you can solder it to the tabs of a larger lipo to get it's high/low voltage protection, but those are set to 4.3V max and 2.4V min., a bit outdie the norm for flight batteries! And you will also have to deal with it's high discharge current protection, which may limit the batteries abilty to power both the camera and the motor. If you have your ESC set for 3.7v LVC, that should be enough, but be aware the camera will continue to draw a minute amount of current to power it's internal TOD clock even when turned off, so don't leave the camera connected to the flight battery when not in use unless you have LVC protection for the cell.

AND, your flight time will be reduced, obviously. The camera's internal 250 mAH battery will power it for about 40 minutes, and since it stops recording at about 3.7V, it uses only about 80% of the battery capacity (about 200 mAh) in that time. So in a 40 minute time period, the camera's average current draw is about 300 mA if my math is good tonight! Bottom line is your flight time might be cut about in half, so do some short test flights initially until you get it better defined.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Mar 16, 2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: corrected LVC protection
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:39 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
I have just posted the new subject firmware in the post #4 for download. The changes are a bug fix for inconsistent LED flashing during in-camera formatting, and an updated in-camera formatting routine to go with it.

I also have some bad news on the VGA 60 fps mode. The CMOS module controls this video mode, and it uses a different video capture mode to get the higher frame rate. Although the developer was successful in getting the camera to output 60 unique frames per second (not frame-doubled as was the early case), the video quality is much reduced. It appears the camera tries to retain the most of the native angle of view, but to output at 60 fps, it uses what appears to be a "pixel binning" technique to just capture a reduced number of pixels in each frame. The result is a much reduced video sharpness and loss of detail, much like you would get by reducing the bit rate to a low value when re-encoding a video. The bottom line is the video quality did not meet the developer's expectations, nor mine, and this mode will no longer be pursued with the current camera hardware. The firmware has retained the standard VGA 640x480 30 fps option for those who may want to use it for merging with older VGA resolution video.

The good news is better hardware and wider angle lenses are both being actively pursued, so better things can be anticipated as time goes by. In the interim, we still have the excellent #16 720p mode to keep us going.
I am still limping along with V18 firmware simply because I didn't know there was a newer version.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:56 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I once formatted a card, Tanscend I think, in a #3 cam while connected to the USB. I used the Panasonic utility. It wiped the card clean, but the camera would not turn off, fixed by reboot. Also the card could no longer be used. Fixed it by reformat in a Casio Exilim.

Not saying this is relevant to your case, but I never format a card in the camera since then.
The kind of in-camera formatting were referring to here is different, in that the #3 camera did not have it's own formatting routine built into it's firmware like the #16 does. If you formatted with the card in the #3, you had to be using the PC's native formatting routine and just using the camera as a removable drive.

The #16 has a built-in formatting routine, so the camera actually does the formatting. Other cameras can do this as well, and it's usually done to make the card work best with that specific camera. It might not work "best" in other devices, though!

FWIW, the new firmware I just posted has an updated in-camera formatting routine... not sure what's different about it, though.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I am still limping along with V18 firmware simply because I didn't know there was a newer version.
Your V0.18 firmware was the most recent OFFICIAL public version available until about 20 minutes ago, so you weren't limping too badly!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:23 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Your V0.18 firmware was the most recent OFFICIAL public version available until about 20 minutes ago, so you weren't limping too badly!
Good, I didn't feel any disturbance in the force.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:11 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts

Someone needs to evaluate the new #18, looks like #16 with AV out.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:28 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Hi guy's, thanks for all your hard work on both this and the #11 thread especially Tom and Isoprop for that neat little config tool. I've had a #11 for a good time now and just received my #16, I've already updated the firmware to V0.23 and used the tool to change the settings to my liking. Much easier than it was with the #11, can't wait to get it used now and see how different it is.

One thing I have searched for in the thread but not found any mention of is the possibility of auto still shots set at a given time interval. I realise video is the major thing here but it would be cool to be able to set it off taking photographs every few seconds and buzz around taking aerial shots that you could print at a reasonable size and quality. Would there be any quality benefits if that feature was available as opposed to taking a freeze frame from a video? I've never had any luck trying to get a decent freeze frame.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:52 PM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
I took this video this evening using the #16 with an overcast sky and the fog moving in.

Cruising around on a foggy evening (6 min 23 sec)
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot