HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
927 Posts
deleted
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Last edited by syzygyQ; May 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
Yes it is, but judging by the remainder of your post, I'm not sure you fully understand the purpose of the method I described. Your last paragraph was especially confusing:

But I described a method to switch configurations out in the field without a computer by using a pre-programmed microSD card for each configuration. How can you drag and drop files without a computer?
I understand your post. My suggestion was in response to modifying the GUI, to accomodate changing the config.sys files in a manner that allows you to do what you are doing. The suggestion avoids using the GUI to do a simple function toggle once you understand how the config file is structured, and eliminates the need to do repetitive modifications for changes you use a lot. When a change is desired, you would just drag/drop the preconfigured config.sys file from a folder on the card rather than fire up the GUI or a text editor to modify the config.sys file each time for frequently used configurations.

But you're right, this doesn't help in the field. It would just make it faster when you want to add a specific config to a new card, or change a config on an existing card with your computer. Then the frequently used config files could reside on your PC to just do a drag and drop to the card to change it.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:11 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
My new mount seems to have sorted out my vibration problems
HobbyKing BIxler, Ripon Racecourse (11 min 7 sec)
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:25 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
My new mount seems to have sorted out my vibration problems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxmB...ature=youtu.be
Is that a pond full or house boats?? Or what??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:52 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Is that a pond full or house boats?? Or what??
If they are boats, where do they go? Must be an interesting solution to cheap housing. I hope they have a pump out station.
Randbo39 is offline Find More Posts by Randbo39
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Yes they are house boats, there is a Canal next to the Marina, they dont go far though only a few miles
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:09 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Yes they are house boats, there is a Canal next to the Marina, they dont go far though only a few miles

I'm always amused at how one little thing leads to another on the internet..

I ended up here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripon_Canal

Thanks for the fun little break..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:19 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I understand your post. My suggestion was in response to modifying the GUI...
Maybe the outward appearance and function (i.e. the actual "GUI") of the Nr16Setup.exe program doesn't have to be changed at all.

There doesn't seem to be any good reason for the camera to delete the SYSCFG.TXT file after it has read it. I think it would be better if it just stayed there, so why not modify Nr16Setup.exe to automatically set the Read-only attribute after writing the file? Having it set by default shouldn't do any harm. The program could transparently clear the attribute of the existing file, overwrite it with the new file, and then set the attribute again. It's not unusual for a Windows program to do this with a file that it controls exclusively. The new file could even include a comment line alerting people who view it with a text editor that the Read-only attribute is set and has to be manually cleared before replacing the file with an edited copy, so that should prevent any undue difficulties for people using manual editing along with Nr16Setup.exe.

As a bonus, if the last line of the Read-only SYSCFG.TXT file includes "{MicroDVR mov 2012/01/17 v0.18}" or similar information, and the file stays on the card and is never deleted, this should virtually eliminate appearances of the error message from Nr16Setup.exe that says "Firmware version is Unknown (see Help for why this can happen)." The appropriate procedure could be added to the Help file for writing updated firmware information to the SYSCFG.TXT file when necessary.

I realize that there may be difficulties with this idea that are hard for anyone but Isoprop to predict, so I won't be surprised if something turns up that I didn't think about. This is just something for him to consider.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:20 PM
St. Joseph, MI
Joined Dec 2010
31 Posts
Hey guys, just bought one of these to try out in my 3dhs 47 shp. I am also want to try and mount it on my 1/8th nitro buggy and get some onboard action of some racing. Do you guys think the camera would be ok on a 1/8th buggy, given the vibration and impacts from large jumps. I was thinking about mounting it on my wing, on the car that is,hehe
RacerScott is offline Find More Posts by RacerScott
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
Thank you!

How did you do it before without setting the Read-only attribute? I assume that every time you used a pre-programmed card to change your settings, you in effect "used it up." You must have put a card in the slot and then thought to yourself, "Now, I can only do this once, so I'd better be sure I want to do it now because if I realize I need to switch back later, I'm screwed."

As I said before, I have no idea why the camera wants to delete that file. Why doesn't it just leave it there?
You used to get a free card container when you purchased (micro) SD cards, so I have a few of those. I filled different boxes with different configurations and put the used cards in another box - not a very intelligent method, but it worked if I had enough cards (old 1GB and 2GB ones). Now I know better!

Switching firmware was easier because the file doesn't get deleted after the update. However, I find it absolutely correct that the config file gets deleted when read. Other methods would lead to total confusion and not be practical when using different cameras. The time would also always be reset. Of course there are ways around everything, but I like the way it is implemented. I would have liked to see a (hidden) folder which contained the current configuration which was always up to date, and I'm not so keen on the specific key presses required to load the configuration file, but all in all I believe the developer has done a very good job. Different people will of course have different preferences so there's no point in arguing what is better and what is not better.

Tom mentioned using different folders for different configurations - if a PC is at hand. The GUI does this better - it uses profiles. I don't know if anyone uses them though

Editing files with various editors is my job, but I much prefer to use the GUI! I very, very rarely edit the config file by hand - it just takes me much longer!
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerScott View Post
Hey guys, just bought one of these to try out in my 3dhs 47 shp. I am also want to try and mount it on my 1/8th nitro buggy and get some onboard action of some racing. Do you guys think the camera would be ok on a 1/8th buggy, given the vibration and impacts from large jumps. I was thinking about mounting it on my wing, on the car that is,hehe
They dont seem to like vibrations Ive had some major issues with it mounted to my motorbike and had to go to extreme length's to mount it
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2008
980 Posts
I ordered one of them.
I did not receive it but I was very impressed by the seller. It was ship the same as the order. Then I received a mail with the manual and a link to that thread (that I know already)...Wow

I am just wondering why they still use this tiny case. It should be more easy for them to use a bigger one.
Cid156 is offline Find More Posts by Cid156
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Miniquad WSk250
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid156 View Post
I ordered one of them.
I did not receive it but I was very impressed by the seller. It was ship the same as the order. Then I received a mail with the manual and a link to that thread (that I know already)...Wow

I am just wondering why they still use this tiny case. It should be more easy for them to use a bigger one.
The tiny case is what makes this camera so unique from all other HD cameras, and what makes it SO useful for the purpose this thread was started for...aerial video. Any extra weight and drag on a model plane is detrimental to its flying, and in some cases, the aircraft we fly are so small they can just BARELY fly with this small camera attached. For most other uses that many have who participate in this thread, a larger case is not that big of a deal, and the developer also makes other versions (#11 and "Full 1080p") that do come with larger batteries in larger "Jumbo" cases (see my other threads here dedicated to these two cameras). The #16 is not sold in that case style (yet?)
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:49 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Tom mentioned using different folders for different configurations - if a PC is at hand. The GUI does this better - it uses profiles. I don't know if anyone uses them though

Editing files with various editors is my job, but I much prefer to use the GUI! I very, very rarely edit the config file by hand - it just takes me much longer!
I use the GUI and the Profiles, too... just not every time. When I was testing the many feature toggles in the camera's early days, I had no choice but to just edit the config file manually since your GUI was still in development along with the camera. I just kept a copy of the sysconfig file in the DCIM folder, so I didn't have to download the last saved config from the camera, saving that step. And I was just changing one toggle at a time. So it became fast and easy for me... about a 30 second operation to drag a copy of the config to the root directory, open with note pad, change a single digit from "1" to "2" (for example), then save to the root directory and copy to the DCIM folder for the next time.
For the benefit of other readers, I'll mention that we considered saving the last loaded config file on the flash card, but decided it was not the best idea if people had more than one of these cameras and swapped flash cards between them. If both cameras happened to not have the same firmware or config on them, the GUI would report erroneous information if it read from a config that was not just downloaded from the camera.

And FWIW, I intentionally tried to "break" the config file by manually typing in a lot of other text and also using function key numbers that were not valid digits, and not even numbers! That's how I discovered that using a "?" for the date numbers causes the camera to ignore the new "date"!!! It did not work for the time setting, though, which got set to the camera default time. But this did lead to getting the developer to make the time setting also get skipped when a "?" was entered instead of a number! In all my tests, nonsense function keys either got ignored entirely, or caused the camera to use its default settings. In effect, I could not corrupt the config file to the point where the camera would not function! And from my observations, as long as each function key is kept in the right sequence and enclosed in square brackets (e.g. [2]), the config file will work as intended, regardless of what other text is before or after the key! During my early testing, I added "??/??/??-??:??:??" to my "test" config file after the date function key, and just did a quick copy/paste in the date key square brackets when I didn't want the time to be changed!

So there should not be any undue fear of making the camera non-functional by manually editing the config file. We're lucky to have both ways to write the config file to the card!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:56 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerScott View Post
There have been instances of camera becoming non-functional in model plane crashes. That could easily cause much higher G force shocks to the camera than a model car, I'd think, unless you drive off a cliff! But others have documented the camera survived a plane crash and continued to work normally (including me). So you just never know. Shock is not good for the camera, but maybe if you wrapped some soft foam rubber around the camera, it would cushion it from the sharp jolts enough. I think no matter what, the video from a bumpy car ride is going to be rather hard on the eyes to watch!