HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:32 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
327 Posts
I just had a thought. I think you mentioned the new camera had a smaller f stop? That would give a slightly better depth of focus, and probably a nearer close focus distance which might be useful.
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:47 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorg View Post
great work iso!

maybe a little "led code table" would be easier/faster to read
You are absolutely correct! Wow, people notice things before the camera even exists! Good spotting!

The LED code table was included in the original Instruction manual together with a whole bunch of missing phrases.

I copied / pasted the original manual into Word and then made a PDF. But it looks like Word "swallowed" about 30% of the manual

I've now copied / pasted each paragraph - seems to work but there may be one or two minor formatting errors.

The PDF should now be, hopefully, correct.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Dec 16, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:01 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
I think I am correct when say the lens in now connected to the pcb by means of a plug, as I have indicated in the picture.

Is is possible to buy an extension cable with male/ female plugs on it to allow the lens to be moved further away from the pcb?

I have a project where I would need this to happen.

Thanks John.
Such a cable does not exist, or better put, is not known to exist. You are not the first person to request such a cable (see #11 thread). Without the proper equipment it would be very difficult to produce such an extension, but maybe some ingenious person will come up with an idea.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:51 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Thanks Guys.. I'm in

just clicked the PayPal Link ..
appreciate all the tips.. fun to be on the leading edge of another cool 808 cam (I hope) .. this one is fully waterproof .. right ? JimS

yeah.. I wish..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:09 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; Dec 23, 2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:15 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,459 Posts
Difference between #11 and #16

I hate cross-posting (I never do it), but mabe this is a case where it's just about acceptable. I promise I won't do this again .
Don't flame me, yell at Fugitive_Bill for giving me the tip . Original post was here #8251.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovio View Post
Sorry for newbie question, what's the different between #11 and #16?
Both cameras record excellent HD videos.
The #11 has a bad "color hunting" problem when light conditions change, like when the camera quickly moves between light and darker areas. All low-end video cameras have this problem to a certain extent, but it is very noticeable in the #11. The #16 is much better.
Color saturation in the #11 produces colors that do not reflect the real colors. The #16 produces much more realistic colors, but some people may prefer the unnatural, rich colors of the #11. Someone called these "Kodachrome" colors.
Images are slightly sharper in the #16 due to the new lens and edge vignetting is better.
In my preliminary tests, I find the #16 does not get as warm as the #11. The manufacturer states that the circuit design is much better which will add to stability.
Two large crystal "cans" which exist in the #11 and may have been the cause of malfunction are gone forever.
The battery in the #11 was soldered to the board. In the #16 it is user-replaceable.
The lens module in the #16 is (user) replaceable.
In the #11 you have to flash different firmware for different functions, like with / without timestamp, and video length. On rare occasions, flashing firmware in the #11 could brick the camera. Flashing firmware in the #16 is a much safer process and is indicated by a flashing LED. With the #11 there is no indication which can lead to premature button pressing which can interrupt the flashing process and lead to corrupted firmware.
The #11 needs a "special" cable for recording with external power. The #16 uses a standard USB cable.
The #11 battery was charged in about an hour. The #16 needs about 2.5 hours because charging is monitored by a hardware chip. This should lead to longer battery life. Battery life of #11 cameras was very short, often only a few months.
That's about it for the comparisons, unless I've forgotten something.

The #16 has a whole bunch of features that can be configured with a simple Windows program. You can't configure the #11.

Configurable functions in the #16:
- Length of video clips. Automatic stop/save/continue.
- Loop recording yes/no
- Recording Indicator on/of
- Video Data Rate
- Auto shut-off time or disabled
- Audio recording volume or no sound recording
- Video frame size

Both cameras are great, but the #16 is greater .
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:27 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,512 Posts
Wow great info!
Regarding wide angle lens, is it out there any option without using wide lens convertor ? The wider the lens is the better for me. I don care for little fish-eyenes
tushev is online now Find More Posts by tushev
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 02, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:55 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Order Location to sites Please
Tom's not quite ready with all the links etc. but currently there's only one seller, eletoponline365. Go to his store and search #16. Make absolutely sure that you order the #16 and not the #11! Good hunting.

[Edit] I guess our two postings crossed each other. You have to ask him for the free battery, telling him your thread ID (fishycomics). When you get to PayPal, add a message. You can also add a message just before you leave the eBay screen, if I remember correctly.
If you forgot the message, immediately send him a normal eBay message. He tends to ship the cameras very quickly indeed! [/Edit]
Last edited by Isoprop; Dec 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:14 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev View Post
Wow great info!
Regarding wide angle lens, is it out there any option without using wide lens convertor ? The wider the lens is the better for me. I don care for little fish-eyenes
Search the 11# thread for Deal Extreme 0.67x wide lense. or check out my posts. There are two versions of their lense and one is better than the other.
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:38 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
I just had a thought. I think you mentioned the new camera had a smaller f stop? That would give a slightly better depth of focus, and probably a nearer close focus distance which might be useful.
I may have stated that, but it may or may not be true. It's been noticed during my test videos posted in the #11 thread that the #16 has a slower shutter speed compared to the #11, as evidenced by more visible motion blur in low light videos. That could be caused by a slightly smaller lens aperature (i.e. f-stop), giving slightly better depth of field as you say, but I haven't tried to compare that with the #11. I think they both have excellent depth of field.

The other possibility is that the lens aperatures are the same, but the transmissivity of the #16 lens is slightly less due to more elements or different material for the elements, producing better focus and less vignetting, but reducing the overall light intensity on the CMOS in the process (hence the need for slower shutter speed to get proper exposure).

If you take a still image with the #16 and then look at the Properties of the file (right click on the icon and select Properties), it shows an f stop for the camera lens as f/2.8. You could do this with the #11 for comparison. But I don't know how accurate this is. If it's just copying meta-data hard coded in the camera, I doubt the record would change when the lens that comes with the CMOS camera module is replaced with a different one. And I know MANY different lenses were tried during the #16 development.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:42 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev View Post
Wow great info!
If you check the #11 threa for my recent post about the #11 Jumbo "Hero Wannabe", you'll see there are lenses that will thread right into the CMOS module that have much wider AOV. The one in that post was 120 deg., but it is way too big to fit in the #16 case. You could hack the case possibly and make it work on the #16, but I don't have any information yet (I've asked) on where to obtain the lens or how much they might cost.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:20 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,227 Posts
I want to add my thanks to Tom Frank for is tireless effort with this new version of key cam. Well done.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:27 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,290 Posts
So it appears that the charge circuit is built into the camera.

I'm planning to install an single cell lipo around 3000 ma into my glider, and parallel out to two wing cams (with proper fuses). Will I be able to charge this lipo through one of the cameras? Yes, I know it will be a looooong charge cycle, perhaps overnight, but the question is will that charge circuit work if it's connected parallel to two cameras? I guess if not, I could just disconnect one of the cameras while charging.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:28 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
So it appears that the charge circuit is built into the camera.

I'm planning to install an single cell lipo around 3000 ma into my glider, and parallel out to two wing cams (with proper fuses). Will I be able to charge this lipo through one of the cameras? Yes, I know it will be a looooong charge cycle, perhaps overnight, but the question is will that charge circuit work if it's connected parallel to two cameras? I guess if not, I could just disconnect one of the cameras while charging.
The #11 has always had a charge management chip it it, too. The #16 has dropped the max charge current down to about 140 mA (.56C rate for the 250 mAH lipo) during the CC phase of the charge cycle. I don't know what it was in the #11... maybe more like 1C rate (250 mA). But it was felt to be too high and might be responsible for early battery failures... that and the external special cable charging which totally bypassed the charge management IC, relying on the small battery protection circuit board in the cell wrapping to bracket the voltage to acceptable levels. The small 250 mAh cell in the camera take 2 to 2-1/2 hour to fully charge from a depleted state. Charging a 3000 mAh at least 12 times longer, maybe more, and the long term charging heat stress would not be good for the camera. I'd bag that idea... charge that big cell with your dedicate lipo charger.