HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:41 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Sounds a little too good to be true, if you ask me. Could it be one of those cameras that shoots ordinary 640x480 video or so, and then stretches it out to double size, instead of recording native, genuine 1280x960?
It's an off topic question for this thread. You can get a wider audience by posting a new thread topic in the main Aerial Video forum, but you've already figured it out its not true HD!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 24, 2012 at 01:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:51 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spycam View Post
I just don't think slow shutter[aka night mode] is useful for RC, better to have 30 unique frames with lowest shutter speed locked at 1/60th, although you could still get 30 unique frames at 1/30th you will also start to notice blur. If you could turn off 'night mode' then #16 could be very useful for night RC flights of well illuminated subjects such as city streets, malls, bridges and buildings without the slow shutter causing blurring and over exposure of your subject due to dark areas contained within and around your subject.

I realise the developers don't make these purely for RC, but the option to turn slow shutter off would be very advantageous to RC community.
To be more accurate, there is no "night mode" on the camera. There is auto-exposure, and that is done mostly by varying the shutter speed (with a little gain control to keep video noise in check). So if you shut that off, then you need more "feature code" in the firmware to set the shutter speed you want, and as has been stated here numerous times, there is no spare memory space for more code like that. The camera is what it is, and is all you can get into a tiny package like this. Adding more features means taking away other existing features. So it comes down to what features benefit the most users. For RC use only, I'd eliminate half the features and add others, but from the developers point of view, is that a wise business decision?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:04 AM
Go and fly now!
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2012
56 Posts
Okay so I have #16 camera and have mounted it on some micro planes and micro heli's and have some great footage in .mov format, plays great but none of my editing software will look at the files. I have tried a number of converters and they all crash or will not use the files.

Anyone got some suggestions to try?

thanks.

Pete
PeteDee is online now Find More Posts by PeteDee
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:08 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDee View Post
Okay so I have #16 camera and have mounted it on some micro planes and micro heli's and have some great footage in .mov format, plays great but none of my editing software will look at the files. I have tried a number of converters and they all crash or will not use the files.

thanks.

Pete
iMovie has no probs
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:27 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:

thanks.

Pete
Read the FAQs in post #3 please!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
If you want to unscrew the lens and remove it from the module, you might find something inside on the back surface of the lens, or on the CMOS array, or in the space between (this has happened). It you just turn the lens and take a picture or video, if the blurry portion of the image also rotates with the lens, then the foreign material could be on the lens rear element inside the lens module, or between the lens elements in the lens barrel itself. If the blurred area stay where it is when the lens is rotated, the material could be on the CMOS or in the space beween it and the lens. Or the lens could be cross-threaded, but that should be visible by looking at the gap between the lens module base and the lens focusing ring.
Today I will open the case and look on the lens module. The seller will send me in march a new lens-module. He wrote that on march the 6th they get new lenses.

I also get a new firmware, but I have no idea which version this is. I will flash it right now.
Ultrazauberer is offline Find More Posts by Ultrazauberer
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:15 AM
Go and fly now!
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Read the FAQs in post #3 please!
Not helpful but thanks anyway. it was a faulty install of itunes, re-installed and working now, just converted my first file.
PeteDee is online now Find More Posts by PeteDee
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazauberer View Post
Today I will open the case and look on the lens module. The seller will send me in march a new lens-module. He wrote that on march the 6th they get new lenses.

I also get a new firmware, but I have no idea which version this is. I will flash it right now.
Do we have more info on this lens? Wider angle?
SeCuRiT is offline Find More Posts by SeCuRiT
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Not helpful but thanks anyway. it was a faulty install of itunes, re-installed and working now, just converted my first file.
If the multiple ways of editing files mentioned there without needing to convert them was not helpful, you must be using a a Mac? I didn't see that mentioned in your original post.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:17 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeCuRiT View Post
Do we have more info on this lens? Wider angle?
The only new lens I'm aware of is the 70 deg. lens we have been discussing here for several weeks.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazauberer View Post

I just got a new BETA FW version (not ready for prime time) that addressing the 60 fps mode. If you install the new firmware, please extract the camera config file per the instruction manual and post the firmware version number and date. If this firmware is being circulated by the eBay vendors, we should be aware of it so people can know what's what. When the 60fps mode is ready for broad distribution, I will post it for download here.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
18 Posts
Hi, my #16 came shipped with v16 firmware.
It was my understanding that they should be shipping with v18 & new lens...

Does this mean I have the old lens? AND if so should I keep v16 firmware then?
rseeone is offline Find More Posts by rseeone
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:12 PM
seahorse41
Joined Jan 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
There are many good Professional cameras around that have that feature.
But not in this size.

Quote:
Adding more features means taking away other existing features. So it comes down to what features benefit the most users. For RC use only, I'd eliminate half the features and add others, but from the developers point of view, is that a wise business decision?
There is the solution!
Remove half the features, put in the other most requested, and just release another firmware!
Look at the 4 choices available for the #11. Just do the same for the #16 or #17 if need be, and have the choice to upgrade to a different firmware, that suits a different user base.

You could still have one GUI config tool, if the firmware can ignore config lines that are not for that specific firmware.

Problem solved. Given a few months, it will happen. Looks like a good business decision to me.
seahorse41 is offline Find More Posts by seahorse41
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse41 View Post
But not in this size.

There is the solution!
Remove half the features, put in the other most requested, and just release another firmware!
Look at the 4 choices available for the #11. Just do the same for the #16 or #17 if need be, and have the choice to upgrade to a different firmware, that suits a different user base.

You could still have one GUI config tool, if the firmware can ignore config lines that are not for that specific firmware.

Problem solved. Given a few months, it will happen. Looks like a good business decision to me.
Very, very difficult to maintain and co-ordinate, and not practical from a GUI point of view. Different firmware versions is definitely not the way to go, and although possible, is a cludge and most confusing. You should also note that the features implemented are all taken from the "wish list" that was composed about a year ago in the #11 thread. These newly requested features were not included in the list, so are (were) apparently not deemed important. No one asked for them!

The wish list was composed by Jims123 after reading the 4400+ postings and noting all the requests. Not an easy task.

It is very difficult to maintain different firmware versions. In real life, I would say almost impossible. If a bug (e.g. colors, pixel bugs, card compatibility, etc.), were to be corrected in one version, it would also have to be corrected in the other versions. I've been programming professionally for many years, and I can assure you maintaining different software versions is a programmer's nightmare which will inevitably lead to further bugs. If I were the developer, I wouldn't even consider releasing different firmware versions.

So, to me, this looks like a very bad business decision. Problem not solved
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Feb 25, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseeone View Post
Hi, my #16 came shipped with v16 firmware.
It was my understanding that they should be shipping with v18 & new lens...

Does this mean I have the old lens? AND if so should I keep v16 firmware then?
Possibly. It depends on when your camera was actually shipped. But you can tell the new lens from the old easily if you open the case... it has only three lobes on the focusing ring as opposed to many knubs on the oler lens (see photos posted within the last week... someone showed the differences.)

In any event, you should install the 0.18 firmware since it corrects a potential corrupted video bug when you suddenly point your camera at bright sky.