Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:00 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_pilot View Post
Hello Guys, I redid my video using avidemux and it came out much better than the windows movie maker version.

Here is the new video. You can see the blurring at after 3:20 in the video. I will try to make a video in better lighting to see if it still happens.

http://vimeo.com/37226852
Much better... your settings with WMM were probably set for a low data rate. I used the setting "best for playback on your computer" (or something like that) which keeps the same frames size and sets the data rate to be usually similar video quality with the Windows video codec.

Anyway, I wonder if the blurring might have been cause by condensation on or in your camera lens? The camera warms up when recording, and with cold outside air flowing over it, that might be what happened.

Also, to rule out vibration blurring, cut your throttle for some short periods when you want the best video.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
yes, the camera is a blown up version, and should be given the same fate!

You might get some video recorded with the #16 and your old card that does not drop frames, but as the level of detail and motion in a scene gets more complex, the momentary data rate can balloon up from around 7Mbps to almost 25Mbps. This is when problems are most likely to occur.
25Mb/s = ~3.2MB/s (MegaBits/sec. = MegaBytes/sec.)

Just for the record, my Sandisk 32GB Class 2 cards show a CrystalDiskMark benchmark way over 5MB/s for both the sequential write and the 512K random write speeds. These values are also confirmed by H2testw (5.43MB/s, which is a good average). My Class 2 Sandisk cards therefore have a theoretical reserve of over 60% on the 25Mb/s max. output rate of the camera.

So, once again, it is theoretically impossible that these cards can drop frames

The class rating is only a minumum value, and does not tell the whole story.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:20 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I had reason to invert a #16 video. The program I found did that.
But... the video became smaller, different aspect ratio, and a pixel frenzy!
Just the small image was just a buncha squares.
Enlarging it only 2.5x showed boxes all over the place.
The original had to be enlarged 15 x to get even close to the same size of pixel.
The inverted video is useless.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2009
226 Posts
Quote:
With a heli, you'll also be more prone to getting vibration blurring and "jello" effects if you rotor is not really well balanced. This will be more visible as the resolution of the primary image improves.
Actually I keep the camera on the bill of my hat so that I can film the flights. When I crash, I can see what I did wrong. I haven't yet put a camera on a heli...yet.
Rogman88 is offline Find More Posts by Rogman88
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogman88 View Post

Rimshot...that's where I ordered mine from last night. They have a good reputation.
Thank you.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post

Just for the record, my Sandisk 32GB Class 2 cards show a CrystalDiskMark benchmark way over 5MB/s for both the sequential write and the 512K random write speeds. These values are also confirmed by H2testw (5.43MB/s, which is a good average). My Class 2 Sandisk cards therefore have a theoretical reserve of over 60% on the 25Mb/s max. output rate of the camera.

Hi Peter. Your Cl 2 Cards do quite well, and for those cards I'd agree. My comment was in response to the card that tested with the h2testw utility only showed 3.28Mbps in a sequential test, with no data for the 512K ramdom test. So that card is on the ragged edge and could be problematic, especially if the 10Mbps mode were toggled on.

I certainly concur the speed Class rating is not a very conclusive benchmark!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Feb 2012
15 Posts
Hello everyone,

I drive about 9 hours a day am very interested in using the 808 #16 camera as a car dashcam video recorder.

Is this possible or safe to do? I understand the 240mah battery only gives about 45 min recording time.

Can I use the Just Mobile Gum Pro 4400mAh battery pack and have it powering the 808 continually for 9 hours without damaging the camera or the internal battery?

If I change the setting to 70 min length of each recording and set it to loop in a 32MB card will that mean once the card is filled up it will start from the beginning and write over the first file and so on?

Is there any way to avoid the 2-3 second gap between recordings?

The preferable method for me would be using an external battery pack to power the camera continuously instead of having it powered by car charger without damaging the camera. I do not want to buy a dashcam with wires hanging all over the place but would like to try this set up if possible.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
steve5 is offline Find More Posts by steve5
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:43 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
I had reason to invert a #16 video. The program I found did that.
But... the video became smaller, different aspect ratio, and a pixel frenzy!
Just the small image was just a buncha squares.
Enlarging it only 2.5x showed boxes all over the place.
The original had to be enlarged 15 x to get even close to the same size of pixel.
The inverted video is useless.
Any of the free editors listed in the FAQs here can flip or properly rotate a video 180 deg. with no change in aspect ratio or video quality. And other trimming and editing can be done at the same time with no other program needed.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve5 View Post
Hello everyone,

I drive about 9 hours a day am very interested in using the 808 #16 camera as a car dashcam video recorder.

Is this possible or safe to do? I understand the 240mah battery only gives about 45 min recording time.

Can I use the Just Mobile Gum Pro 4400mAh battery pack and have it powering the 808 continually for 9 hours without damaging the camera or the internal battery?

If I change the setting to 70 min length of each recording and set it to loop in a 32MB card will that mean once the card is filled up it will start from the beginning and write over the first file and so on?

Is there any way to avoid the 2-3 second gap between recordings?

The preferable method for me would be using an external battery pack to power the camera continuously instead of having it powered by car charger without damaging the camera. I do not want to buy a dashcam with wires hanging all over the place but would like to try this set up if possible.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
All your questions are answered in the first several posts here. Please take the time to read those thoroughly, including the links to other information. If you still have questions that have not been answered already, repost the specifics and we will try to clear things up for you.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2009
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post

Hmmm. Ok, I'll see if my current Sandisk Cl 2 gives me good performance before getting another card. Thanks Iso!
Rogman88 is offline Find More Posts by Rogman88
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
A sample image would help. Has the image always been like this? Are you using one of the add-on external lenses? If it's not perfectly aligned with the internal lens axis it will cause this. The lens could be cross-threaded throwing it out of axial alignment. This is usually visibly detected by examining the lens module, and can be corrected by removing and correctly threading in the lens. Other causes might be some foreign material on the front/rear lens surfaces or on the CMOS sensor, and these could be cleaned (very carefully so as not to scratch the surfaces). Or it could be foreign material INSIDE the lens or a CMOS sensor which is not firmly seated perpendicluar to the lens axis. These are not fixable and you'd need to get a replacement CMOS/lens module.
Thanks for your help. Here is the example video on youtube:
808 #16 Image Quality (0 min 16 sec)

You can see, that the text on the right is blurry. The 808 #16 which I own is stock and not modified.

Where can I get a suitable lens module in Germany?
Ultrazauberer is offline Find More Posts by Ultrazauberer
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazauberer View Post
Thanks for your help. Here is the example video on youtube:
http://youtu.be/vipjp2XVWhQ

You can see, that the text on the right is blurry. The 808 #16 which I own is stock and not modified.

Where can I get a suitable lens module in Germany?
I couldn't tell for sure if the camera lens was held perpendicular to the monitor screen, and being that close could easily cause one side to be out of the minimum focus distance. But if it looks similar shooting a distant scene, then there is definitely a problem which could be one of the "fixable" ones.

If you'd rather not bother trying to fix it, the only place to get a replacement CMOS/lens module is from the camera vendors. If your camera was like this when you first received it, you should be able to get a free replacement from your vendor. Otherwise, replacement CMOS/lens modules with ribbon cable and plug cost only $9 delivered.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:12 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Any of the free editors listed in the FAQs here can flip or properly rotate a video 180 deg. with no change in aspect ratio or video quality. And other trimming and editing can be done at the same time with no other program needed.
And there being no FAQs here, it's too much effort to point to these.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
The lens seems to be clean. On my other test videos there is also blur on the right, but the video with the text is showing the problem better.

You say that this problem might be fixable. The lens seems to be clean. Should I open the camera and rotate the focus wheel in web-mode? What do you think? What can help?
Ultrazauberer is offline Find More Posts by Ultrazauberer
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogman88 View Post
Hmmm. Ok, I'll see if my current Sandisk Cl 2 gives me good performance before getting another card. Thanks Iso!
Yes, check your Sandisk with CrystalDiskMark and H2testw. If you get over 5MB/s Sequential write and 512K Block Random write and also over 5MB/s with H2testw your card will outperform many Class 4 cards.

I don't have a Sandisk 8GB Class 2 to test, so I would be interested in whether your 8GB card performs as well as my 32GB class 2 cards. Very few results have been posted for Sandisk.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop