HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2009
226 Posts
It is a Sandisk 8GB, so I bet the dropped frames are just the crappy old Generic 808 camera. It used to not drop frames, just didn't have a great quality smooth picture. I think it's the battery. This new #16 camera should fix all my problems!

I fell for the 720p nomenclature, but you can tell this is no real 720p. This Vid was before the battery started going out.

ROTC Logo 600 demo flight (4 min 25 sec)

Can't wait for the #16.
Rogman88 is offline Find More Posts by Rogman88
Last edited by Rogman88; Feb 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,518 Posts
Is this still the best source for this camera?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180776698380...84.m1438.l2649
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogman88 View Post
It is a Sandisk 8GB, so I bet the dropped frames are just the crappy old Generic 808 camera. It used to not drop frames, just didn't have a great quality smooth picture. I think it's the battery. This new #16 camera should fix all my problems!
You can't go wrong with Sandisk. IMO they are the most compatible, but also the most expensive.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I also have Sandisk no-class cards (i.e. very old cards) that also have no dropped frames with the #16 or #11. However, used in my #3, almost 50% of the frames are dropped - well it looks that way, I didn't actually count the dropped frames, but there were many.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Hello again!

I've tested with success two microSD cards:

SanDisk 8GB class4
SanDisk 16GB class4

The Samsung 16GB class6 still won't work with the 0.18 firmware.

And I have a little problem. The right side of the image is blurry. Is there a way to fix it? I don't think that is a focus issue.
Ultrazauberer is offline Find More Posts by Ultrazauberer
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcall View Post
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 3.28 MByte/s
Reading speed: 5.21 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

after I came home yesterday I left the camera recording and it recorded perfect 5:00 videos until the battery ran out...
What is the card brand and speed class you are using? The test write speed shows it does not meet the minimum recommended Class 4 (4MB/sec.) sequential write speed which might cause some issues. Run the CrystalDiskMark speed test on the card and post your results, especially the sequential write speed and random 512k write speed. I'd look for a new name brand microSDHC flash card that meets at least a Class 4 (4MB/sec.) sequential write speed.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys (Especially Tom) for all the good stuff on these cameras. I've had a generic 808 1024X768 camera with Class 2 card for about a year. The quality was always lacking for me. The battery is dying and it is basically unusable due to having to resolder a new battery and the buzzing noise from low voltage.

I just bought a #16 off ebay last night per Toms recommendation. I researched many pages and narrowed it down to the 1080P camera and this one. the 1080P still has too many bugs at the moment, is heavier than this one, and the files are huge on 1080P. I usually use it on my ball cap as a flight recorder for my helicopter flying, but do have velcro on a couple of planes for aerial photography and "Gun Camera" photage of my buddy's flying.

Anyway, my question is, how well will my class 2 card work with this camera? Will it drop frames like my current generic 808?
I would think so! Since you've been reading about the HD cameras you'll recall a Class 4 card is the minimum recommended for the HD cameras.

FWIW, that 1024x768 camera you mentioned is most liked a 640x480 resolution CMOS sensor digitally zoomed to 60% larger image, which causes the image to be blurred and degraded.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazauberer View Post
Hello again!

SanDisk 8GB class4
SanDisk 16GB class4

And I have a little problem. The right side of the image is blurry. Is there a way to fix it? I don't think that is a focus issue.
Samsung 16GB Class 6 are known not to work and are on the "blacklist".

What is strange is that I have a Samsung Class 10 which works, but has formatting issues.

As you have noticed, there are no issues with Class 4 cards. There is a great risk of problems if you use any cards with a Class rating more than 4. So keep to class 4 and you should be safe.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Mar 2009
226 Posts
Yep Tom that's what I figured. I will take some vids with the Sandisk Class 2 and then when I get my class 4, I'll post my results regarding dropped frames and overall quality differences. Tom did you see that vid taken with the old camera? Do you think it's the old blown up to 1024X768 and call it 720P trick? That would explain the sub par quality for sure.

Rimshot...that's where I ordered mine from last night. They have a good reputation.
Last edited by Rogman88; Feb 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
Who can recommend a good and cheap and small wide angle lens for the #16? I am thinking at 100 - 120 deg.
Please read the FAQs and/or search this thread.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Is this still the best source for this camera?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180776698380...84.m1438.l2649
The sources listed in post #2 are equally good.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:36 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Yep Tom that's what I figured. I will take some vids with the Sandisk Class 2 and then when I get my class 4, I'll post my results regarding dropped frames and overall quality differences. Tom did you see that vid taken with the old camera? Do you think it's the old blown up to 1024X768 and call it 720P trick? That would explain the sub par quality for sure.
yes, the camera is a blown up version, and should be given the same fate!

You might get some video recorded with the #16 and your old card that does not drop frames, but as the level of detail and motion in a scene gets more complex, the momentary data rate can balloon up from around 7Mbps to almost 25Mbps. This is when problems are most likely to occur.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Mar 2009
226 Posts
You might get some video recorded with the #16 and your old card that does not drop frames, but as the level of detail and motion in a scene gets more complex, the momentary data rate can balloon up from around 7Mbps to almost 25Mbps. This is when problems are most likely to occur.

Good stuff. I'll look for those things. Helis move so quickly that blurring has been my constant battle. I may go ahead and just order a faster card today so that it will be here when I get started. Thanks Tom!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:41 AM
USA, OH, Marysville
Joined May 2010
348 Posts
I know these 2 video I made are not RC but I never did learn how fly one. My test 2 is at post 2755 if you want to view. Here is the test 1 video.

Test 1 (0 min 58 sec)
jmdlcar is offline Find More Posts by jmdlcar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Binding VLToys V212 Quadcopter
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:45 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazauberer View Post
Hello again!

SanDisk 8GB class4
SanDisk 16GB class4

A sample image would help. Has the image always been like this? Are you using one of the add-on external lenses? If it's not perfectly aligned with the internal lens axis it will cause this. The lens could be cross-threaded throwing it out of axial alignment. This is usually visibly detected by examining the lens module, and can be corrected by removing and correctly threading in the lens. Other causes might be some foreign material on the front/rear lens surfaces or on the CMOS sensor, and these could be cleaned (very carefully so as not to scratch the surfaces). Or it could be foreign material INSIDE the lens or a CMOS sensor which is not firmly seated perpendicluar to the lens axis. These are not fixable and you'd need to get a replacement CMOS/lens module.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: add info on lens cross-threading
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:48 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:

Good stuff. I'll look for those things. Helis move so quickly that blurring has been my constant battle. I may go ahead and just order a faster card today so that it will be here when I get started. Thanks Tom!
With a heli, you'll also be more prone to getting vibration blurring and "jello" effects if you rotor is not really well balanced. This will be more visible as the resolution of the primary image improves.