HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:11 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
Maybe it's youtube, but I think you could benefit from adjusting the focus on your camera. I did mine by placing a printed sheet of paper about 3' away from the camera and then adjusted in webcam mode until I could see the finer print better. Now mine is pretty sharp. Took about a quarter of a turn to get it dialed in.
It's a bit hard to tell without seeing the original, but I think it's a combination of YouTube plus the wide angle lens.

BTW, has Youtube changed their player options? When selecting 720p option now, I can click on the "middle" frame size icon and get the full size 1280x720p frame! It wasn't like that several days ago. If this is new,.... 'bout time!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:25 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
BTW, has Youtube changed their player options? When selecting 720p option now, I can click on the "middle" frame size icon and get the full size 1280x720p frame! It wasn't like that several days ago. If this is new,.... 'bout time!
I've been able to do that for a couple of weeks now. Its nice not having the 720P stuff stretched out.
OnGuard is offline Find More Posts by OnGuard
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:56 AM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Here's a video I just made with the camera (v.18 software)

R/C Plane At 4,000 Feet!!!! (2 min 41 sec)
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Old Feb 05, 2012, 02:00 AM
Deutschland, BY, Kulmbach
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
to make the confusion complete: I have made some other tests with my two cards. In order to format I have used sdformatter. With the setting quick format has worked traxdata 16GB, class6 normally. The Samsung card 16GB, class6 remains defective. With xp-formatter of the PC both maps remain defective.
Name: sdformatter01.jpg
Views: 95
Size: 33.2 KB
Description:
downhill is offline Find More Posts by downhill
Old Feb 05, 2012, 02:18 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downhill View Post
to make the confusion complete: I have made some other tests with my two cards. In order to format I have used sdformatter. With the setting quick format has worked traxdata 16GB, class6 normally. The Samsung card 16GB, class6 remains defective. With xp-formatter of the PC both maps remain defective.
With any of your tests, did you format the cards using the camera's internal formatting routine?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:34 AM
Philippines, Central Visayas, Dumaguete City
Joined Nov 2011
75 Posts
Ok, this might be an isolated case but I discovered something strange with my #16. If I shoot an extremely dark scene, with just a little bit of light, I see recurring stripes in the video, like the ones from an old worn out VHS tape. They blink roughly every second. But if I have enough light source in the scene, even if the majority of the scene is pitch dark, they disappear. I assume this is some kind of exposure hunting artifact. Is it just me (or my #16) or is this a known bug?
CemAygun is offline Find More Posts by CemAygun
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:45 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,097 Posts
Might be idea to post a short clip of this phenomenon on Vimeo or You Tube?
So we can see what you are talking about.
Fugitive_Bill is online now Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:05 AM
Joined Nov 2011
75 Posts
Will do ASAP

Here you go:

My #16 Low Light Bug :( (0 min 19 sec)

Sorry it still is converting (my first time on vimeo). All comments are welcome as always...
Last edited by CemAygun; Feb 05, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:10 AM
Polska, małopolskie, Nowy Sącz
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CemAygun View Post
Ok, this might be an isolated case but I discovered something strange with my #16. If I shoot an extremely dark scene, with just a little bit of light, I see recurring stripes in the video, like the ones from an old worn out VHS tape. They blink roughly every second. But if I have enough light source in the scene, even if the majority of the scene is pitch dark, they disappear. I assume this is some kind of exposure hunting artifact. Is it just me (or my #16) or is this a known bug?
And whether or not this is caused by the flashing LED? She brightens a little.
wszim is offline Find More Posts by wszim
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:19 AM
Deutschland, BY, Kulmbach
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
With any of your tests, did you format the cards using the camera's internal formatting routine?
I have it, however, feel tempted failed. I have gone forward thus: I connected the cam to the pc. Green LED shows loading battery. After I pressed the power button the red LED flashes and the pc recognised the cam. The red LED is on and the cam is in removable disc modus. Then I pressed the shutter button. The red LED is still burning. Still pressing the shutter button I disconnected the cam from the pc. Red LED is still burning and doesn´t turn off after 5-6 seconds
downhill is offline Find More Posts by downhill
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Nov 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wszim View Post
And whether or not this is caused by the flashing LED? She brightens a little.
That was my first guess at the time of discovery, but I was leaning more on an electrical noise than the light from the led itself. The sample video uploaded is without the blinking record light, so I assume that is not the problem...

At the end of the video you can see that artifact totally disappears with the presence of enough light...
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:11 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba max1 View Post
Here's a video I just made with the camera (v.18 software)
Uff
Xpected loud bang as you exceeded VNE.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:24 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CemAygun View Post
This might be the 2nd one, the 1st one was a blue haze moving in from the right. On that one cooling the camera (outside in winnter) made it go away until it warmed up again.
Mike
P.S. I have a very small feeling it could be a lens/sensor module problem - need more occurrences.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:26 AM
Polska, małopolskie, Nowy Sącz
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Logical theory, but it doesn't explain why I haven't (yet ) had any problems with my 32GB and 64GB cards. Since so many cards are failing I hope this problem isn't due to hardware and I really hope your theory doesn't apply. I certainly don't want my camera to suddenly stop during my 6+ hours of recording. Maybe I should stock up on #11s before they run out.
Looks like you're right. And my theory is not confirmed. Today I ran an oscilloscope. I watched the battery voltage waveforms and power SD on video recording mode. I can not see anything wrong. The voltage is very stable. Although I did it on my 4GB card class6. I was hoping that observed although a small voltage drop, which would presume the problems with the cards consuming more power. Nothing wrong had not noticed. Also measured the temperature of the elements. The most CPU heats up, the lens and the two elements near the matrix (about 40 degrees C) This is not an excessive level.

It's probably good news. It seems that the problem lies in the software and only the manufacturer can be removed by generating a new version.
wszim is offline Find More Posts by wszim
Last edited by wszim; Feb 05, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:35 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wszim View Post
Looks like you're right. And my theory is not confirmed. Today I ran an oscilloscope. I watched the battery voltage waveforms and power SD on video recording mode. I can not see anything wrong. The voltage is very stable. Although I did it on my 4GB card class6. I was hoping that observed although a small voltage drop, which would presume the problems with the cards consuming more power. Nothing wrong had not noticed. Also measured the temperature of the elements. The most CPU heats up, the lens and the two elements near the matrix (about 40 degrees C). It's probably good news. It seems that the problem lies in the software and only the manufacturer can be removed by generating a new version.
I think you could be correct, the firmware could be pushing the gain up too high, getting into the noise 'floor' of some sensor/A to D systems, again, more occurrences needed .
Mike
P.S. interesting and useful measurements on the system power supply, Thank you.
P.P.S. oops speed read your post - forget the Ist stuff about noise floor & gain - I was locked into the red line problem
Last edited by empeabee; Feb 05, 2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: ps