HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
14 Posts
Question: Is it possible to unscrew the #16s lens completly? If yes my 70-200 Canon Lens already is in overwhelming desire for the delivery, 16 days .. i hope i get it soon - maybe i will try a monster crop mod - crop factor must be 10. Hoping for craters of the moon clips soon
Smeangol is offline Find More Posts by Smeangol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:17 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
On one camera I tried just spaces in TAG.txt.
No change to the date/time on the video.
Tried just underlines... _____... got 5/5/2005 for the time.
It really wants to see numbers.
Sparky, you are way off base... again! The #16 camera does NOT use a tag.txt file! You are too locked into the old SD resolution 808 cameras. This one is different! Please make sure your suggestions are specific to the #16 cameras... it only adds more confusion otherwise. The GUI program outputs the config text file with date/time data as numbers... no chance for an error there. And the manual config file instructions show the necessary format (all numbers, but a "?" instead of numbers can be used to leave the date and time intact and not change anything). The original question you were replying to (I think... can't tell since you did not quote what your question your reply was meant for) was that there appears to be a bug in the firmware that causes the date not to be set if the config file has the camera auto shut-off time set to "0" (disables auto-shutdown). This will likely be fixed in the firmware when the bug is located.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 31, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post
In the post this morning arrived a sample of the new CMOS camera module for the #16
If you got that lens from eletoponline365, that should be the 70 deg. AOV (full diagonal) lens I was testing for the developer. I posted both indoor and outdoor side-by-side video comparison videos not long ago in this thread (I think). The lens/module is available for US $8.95 and cameras are now going to be shipped with this newer lens. The AOV difference is really quite small, but this lens has noticeably better color rendition with the v0.18 firmware.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeangol View Post
Question: Is it possible to unscrew the #16s lens completly? If yes my 70-200 Canon Lens already is in overwhelming desire for the delivery, 16 days .. i hope i get it soon - maybe i will try a monster crop mod - crop factor must be 10. Hoping for craters of the moon clips soon
Yes, the #16 lens can be completely unscrewed. Good luck with your experiment!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downhill View Post
Hello,
I had recorded a file greater than 2 GB and every time I want to convert it I got the following error messages: - in the middle section under the player I did not got any information of video/length/audio (Error: moov atom not found) - if I try to start conversion (Windows error message: Thread error: Invalid floating point operation.) Has anybody else problems with files bigger than 2 GB or/and a solution? Thank you

Artur
The "bad atom" error is indicative of a corrupted .mov file. Are you talking about one file, or ALL files over 2GB in size giving this error? Does the file play OK other wise?

A prior version of MP4cam2AVI had a 2GB files size limit on it's OUTPUT files, but it would just break the file down into more than one clip, not give an error message. The latest version can output up to the 4GB file size limit of the FAT32 file format size. I don't think this has any thing to do with your problem, but it's worth updating if you are outputting files larger than 2GB.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Search for "ffdshow beta". This is a well designed codec pack that includes (among many other things) a good h.264 codec and should be able to play the #16 MOV files on your XP box providing you have the processing horsepower. Quicktime might also be able to play them.

Paul
Hi Paul,

I think the VLC player is a better option if the need is only playing the file. It comes with the open source codec (x.264) built in, so no need mess with ffdshow (which I like FWIW).
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:17 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Hi Paul,

I think the VLC player is a better option if the need is only playing the file. It comes with the open source codec (x.264) built in, so no need mess with ffdshow (which I like FWIW).
and VLC works in slower PCs much better thank Quicktime does.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:20 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,947 Posts
Quote:
The lens/module is available for US $8.95 and cameras are now going to be shipped with this newer lens. The AOV difference is really quite small, but this lens has noticeably better color rendition with the v0.18 firmware.
Looked on eletoponlines ebay page and couldn't find the lens/module listed anywhere.

Do you have a link?

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:23 PM
Slovakia, Europe
Slovakia, Žilina Region, Zilina
Joined Jan 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
My #16 will not record for more than 1:41 and a lot of times it stops after 1:33. Am I missing something. I've done all the steps and installed latest firmware as directed.
Thanks
Mike F
my early posts say...

i have 8gb sdhc10 kingston and it work only with fw 0,15... with newest firmwares camera record only max 53 seconds video then freeze...
i have diferent card - 2gb sd microsd (not sdhc)... works great ... and with 0.18 fw and other fw i can record normaly full card while charging ...
jackdaws is offline Find More Posts by jackdaws
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:24 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
If you got that lens from eletoponline365, that should be the 70 deg. AOV (full diagonal) lens I was testing for the developer. I posted both indoor and outdoor side-by-side video comparison videos not long ago in this thread (I think). The lens/module is available for US $8.95 and cameras are now going to be shipped with this newer lens. The AOV difference is really quite small, but this lens has noticeably better color rendition with the v0.18 firmware.
Hi Tom - yes it was sent from Peter at eletoponline365. Re the AOV discrepancy. Either I've made a complete hash of my calculations or you were sent a different lens with yours
The module received today and as pictured has a FOV of 53 degrees. I checked it against a normal #16 lens / module which I plotted between 42-43 degrees FOV (nearer 43).
I took all reference points from the very front of the lens and measured diagonally across the frame, if that makes any sense. If this is the wrong way to do it, please do tell Many thanks.

Richard
timetec is offline Find More Posts by timetec
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Comments inserted in your post in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittarpikk View Post
I read the first 4 and have been sort of following over the last month but I did not see if there was a replacement lens available yet...or is the camera /cable assembly to represent that.
See my recent post on the new lens.

one more question... I have an XP computer and will probably need to request the AVI version (if its recommended yet) . If not, I will have to convert it with the file on the first four posts...then edit the file.
The AVI file format is still "read only". What program do you use to edit the HD files? There are recommendations in post #3 that might work without ANY conversion. If you need .AVI for editing, then shoot in .mov format and convert with the MP4cam2AVI utility as recommended... do NOTuse the camera's current AVI format if editing is necessary.

I have added something I downloaded to XP to allow files to be saved in several HD files forms so I can upload to youtube. Will I get good results?
Not enough info. What did you download? But more importantly, you can upload the camera native files to YouTube... no conversion is needed for YouTube. Any common file format you have, edited or otherwise, should be accepted by Youtube. If not, use Vimeo... it's MUCH better for several reasons stated elsewhere in this thread. I guess I need to add those comments in the Editing section.

I have a Sony Bloggie (swivel head)which saves in .mov so I ran it through anyvideo converter to change to avi but have yet to get satisfactory . My user name on youtube is gittarpikk and the last 2 movies I posted were done this way...and you will see its very poor quality.

Will I be running into same issue on this #16?
Yes, probably. Depends on what codec and settings (especially bit rate) you use when converting. For NO QUALITY LOSS, convert the native MOV file to AVI using MP4cam2AVI utility. MOV and AVI are just file containers... the quality can be the same in either one. MP4cam2AVI just directly copies the video and audio streams from one container to the other... NO re-encoding going on like most other file conversion utilities, so no quality loss. The AviDemux edit or can also do a direct MOV to AVI copy, but for some reason the sound has to be re-encoded to MP3 for that program.

I did not spot this being addressed in the other pages of the thread..maybe I missed it.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 31, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Looked on eletoponlines ebay page and couldn't find the lens/module listed anywhere.

Do you have a link?

Ridgewalker
No links yet (or maybe never). Send him an email.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:43 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gittarpikk View Post
I read the first 4 and have been sort of following over the last month but I did not see if there was a replacement lens available yet...or is the camera /cable assembly to represent that

one more question... I have an XP computer and will probably need to request the AVI version (if its recommended yet) . If not, I will have to convert it with the file on the first four posts...then edit the file.

I have added something I downloaded to XP to allow files to be saved in several HD files forms so I can upload to youtube. Will I get good results?

I have a Sony Bloggie (swivel head)which saves in .mov so I ran it through anyvideo converter to change to avi but have yet to get satisfactory . My user name on youtube is gittarpikk and the last 2 movies I posted were done this way...and you will see its very poor quality.

Will I be running into same issue on this #16?

I did not spot this being addressed in the other pages of the thread..maybe I missed it.
I also have XP and the work around for me was to sellect the in camera screen resolution to 848x480.
The video will still be widescreen but will not be in HD.
Then i use the VideoPad Video Editor...free download for 15 days then you just downgrade to the free version.
You will still be able to crop,rotate,adjust hue,brightness,contrast,gamma as well as adjust the "temp" (warm/cool) of the video,adjust the speed or play the video reverse.
You can have 3 audio tracks and split the video audio from the video if you need to.
When saving the movie file it will be saved as an AVI which will play fine on a VLC player.

You can see videos from the #16 on my youtube page....http://www.youtube.com/user/ridgewal...s?feature=mhsn
All the winter ones are from the #16 and edited with the VideoPad Video Editor.......http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/tutorial.html

EDIT:
Thanks Tom,will do.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:39 PM
USA, OH, Marysville
Joined May 2010
373 Posts
Quote:
Do you know what date they started shipping the newer lens?
jmdlcar is offline Find More Posts by jmdlcar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Binding VLToys V212 Quadcopter
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:53 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec View Post
Hi Tom - yes it was sent from Peter at eletoponline365. Re the AOV discrepancy. Either I've made a complete hash of my calculations or you were sent a different lens with yours
The module received today and as pictured has a FOV of 53 degrees. I checked it against a normal #16 lens / module which I plotted between 42-43 degrees FOV (nearer 43).
I took all reference points from the very front of the lens and measured diagonally across the frame, if that makes any sense. If this is the wrong way to do it, please do tell Many thanks.

Richard
If your measurements and trig calcs are accurate, your angles are accurate. I did similar photo/calces for the #11 camera and it was 58.2 deg.

But a couple things to clarify... The AOV of the lens is usually larger than FOV of the captured image, simply because the CMOS design doesn't use the full lens AOV to crop off some of the vignetting and focus/color degradation that naturally occurs at the extremes of the AOV. The manufacturer's specs for lens AOV was quoted to me as 70 deg., and that's how it's being referred to. So that alone can account for most of the difference in the angles mentioned.

To further complicate it, the #16 firmware prior to the latest v0.18 had further cropped the camera's captured image before encoding and saving it, presumably to eliminate more vignetting, and then the image was digital zoomed about 15-20% to restore it to full 1280x720 frame size. This was discovered when comparing the webcam video with the normal recorded video. That digital zooming further reduced the FOV, making objects look bigger, as well as blurred the imaged slightly. The v0.18 firmware has restored the full captured image and focus, at the expense of a little more vignetting, which still might be reduced with the CMOS built-in "lens correction" feature So your measurements were hopefully done using the v0.18 firmware in the camera.

I've attached a frame grab from a comparison video I did during testing of the v0.18 firmware with two side-by-side #16 cameras, one with standard lens and one with the 70 deg. lens. The left edge of the two images are very close to having the same image starting point, so the right edge will show most of the wider FOV of the 70 deg. lens. Looking at that, I'd have guessed maybe just 2-3 deg. difference in FOV, but I never bothered to measure it... it's not much. The bigger advantage of the 70 deg. lens is it's better color rendition with the v0.18 firmware. In cetain lighting, the standard lens takes on a pink hue with gray objects in the scene, sometimes more pronoounced than this particular frame shows. And it has slightly better exposure showing more detail in the darker areas of the video. That's why there is a transition underway to the 70 deg. lens as the new standard lens.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 31, 2012 at 06:01 PM.