HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:53 PM
Slovakia, Europe
Slovakia, Žilina Region, Zilina
Joined Jan 2012
32 Posts
plese see my night video after focusing FOCUS ....
-is a normal with low light low noise at video ?
please download orig file

2012 01 28 hd808 nr16 slovakia zilina test at low light (2 min 29 sec)
jackdaws is offline Find More Posts by jackdaws
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:22 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Not necessarily. You need to check the battery voltage when this happens for starters to tell if it is really out of juice. It could also be caused by your flash card. Did you test your flash card using the h2testw utility and then do a speed test using CrystalDiskMark? See the related FAQ link for more info. That will help determine if you card has any serious issues. There could be an incompatibility with the #16 firmware, so working in another camera is not conclusive evidence, unless it was also another #16 running the same firmware.

What brand, capacity, and speed class is your card?
Hi Tom, I'm using Kingston class 4 cards 4 and 8 GB. They are even performing well in my 1080P50 video camera (data rate close to 25 Mb/s).

I did the hardware test with the tool you mentioned, and no errors found. The 512K random write is quite low: 0.665 MB/s (seq. write 4.2 MB/s).

Could that be the problem?

I did another test by connecting the camera to the PC after the recording has started (so it get's the power from the PC). But then it stops recording after 6 minutes. So we could pretty much rule out the battery then I guess.

Strange is that in the video soon (after 1 minute, when you feel the camera gets warm) a blue color appears. I attached a screen dump.

I can remember one of my first driving recordings I posted here (using same cards), I recorded much longer. So something has changed. One is the firmware. And probably the 10 Mb/s also plays a role in this problem. After the battery is charges I will do another test at 7 Mb/s and connected to a wall charger.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Hi Tom, I'm using Kingston class 4 cards 4 and 8 GB. They are even performing well in my 1080P50 video camera (data rate close to 25 Mb/s).

I did the hardware test with the tool you mentioned, and no errors found. The 512K random write is quite low: 0.665 MB/s (seq. write 4.2 MB/s).

Could that be the problem?

I did another test by connecting the camera to the PC after the recording has started (so it get's the power from the PC). But then it stops recording after 6 minutes. So we could pretty much rule out the battery then I guess.

Strange is that in the video soon (after 1 minute, when you feel the camera gets warm) a blue color appears. I attached a screen dump.

I can remember one of my first driving recordings I posted here (using same cards), I recorded much longer. So something has changed. One is the firmware. And probably the 10 Mb/s also plays a role in this problem. After the battery is charges I will do another test at 7 Mb/s and connected to a wall charger.
I had a camera "donated" to me by a user that would shut down after about 1 minute of ecording, no matter how it was powered. I attributed it to a heat related problem. But I'd definitely get out of the 10MB/s data rate... you will not see any real difference in the videos, and the lower data rate will consume less power (= less heat).

But that 512k random write speed IS really slow. I can't say for sure if that is part of the problem, but I'd certainly get faster CL6 cards for 1080 cameras. My Transcend CL6 cards have 1+ to 2+ MB/sec in the 512k random write tests.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,223 Posts
Thanks Tom.

I just switched to the low bitrate setting. Did another test, powered by a USB wall adaptor.

Now it recorded 9 minutes before it stopped. Then 5 minutes cooling down until I noticed it was stopped. And the next recording stopped after 5 minutes.

Interesting was that now at the end of the last video the right halve of the image was nearly solid blue... So this really seems heat related. Can't imagine that the random write speed limitation generates this kind of effects.

Allthough I admit it's a good idea to look for a class 6 card.

Last test is one with case removed in a sub room temperature environment. Let's see what happens then....
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:22 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,613 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom.

I just switched to the low bitrate setting. Did another test, powered by a USB wall adaptor.

Now it recorded 9 minutes before it stopped. Then 5 minutes cooling down until I noticed it was stopped. And the next recording stopped after 5 minutes.

Interesting was that now at the end of the last video the right halve of the image was nearly solid blue... So this really seems heat related. Can't imagine that the random write speed limitation generates this kind of effects.

Last test is one with case removed in a sub room temperature environment. Let's see what happens then....
Whatever it is, it's not normal, and I don't think it is flash card related if it's continuing to record, but with color abnormalities. Probably a camera hardware fault of some kind.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 28, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:15 PM
Happy when flying!
France, Aquitaine
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Some testing again, the second is funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgsTm6wp-e4

Having fun at field 51 (FPV 808#16) (3 min 31 sec)
kjrell is offline Find More Posts by kjrell
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:08 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom.

I had the same problem. But definitly it was no overheating issue, because the blue comes only after 20 min. recording. And the camera was already warm. I think rather it's a low battery problem. However the battery held afterwards still 15-20 min.

Sometimes I had a crash, too. Suddenly during record, the recording was stopped and don't resumed. Maybe we should consider, that we have in the car at least 20 - 22 °C and outside from helicopters and model aircrafts only 10 °C or so. So is a overheating at model aircrafts more improbable.
Nytro is offline Find More Posts by Nytro
Last edited by Nytro; Jan 28, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:53 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Looks good to me.. Nice flying spot also.. Your backyard?
Yes, that's my backyard where I do my electric flying.

I should add that I refocused my cam for the flight.

I removed the casing and placed a double sided self-stick pad between the lens housing and the PCB board.

The camera was placed inside a 2 1/2" shrink tubing.

I can now easily refocus when needed.

More importantly the camera now only weighs 13g which is important because I use it on my model rockets aswell.
///Leo is offline Find More Posts by ///Leo
Last edited by ///Leo; Jan 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:13 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,223 Posts
Firmware bug?

Nytro and Tom:

Indeed no heat.

I switched back to the .16 firmware and now it recorded my card till it was full! So definitely this .18 firmware is not working right in my camera!

Tom, time for bug report?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:41 AM
Slovakia, Europe
Slovakia, Žilina Region, Zilina
Joined Jan 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Leo View Post
Yes, that's my backward where I do my electric flying.

I should add that I refocused my cam for the flight.

I removed the casing and placed a double sided self-stick pad between the lens housing and the PCB board.

The camera was placed inside a 2 1/2" shrink tubing.

I can now easily refocus when needed.

More importantly the camera now only weighs 13g which is important because I use it on my model rockets aswell.
please take a photo !
jackdaws is offline Find More Posts by jackdaws
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:28 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdaws View Post
please take a photo !
Best possible focus to read the text on the barn.

(Half size)

Click here for original picture
///Leo is offline Find More Posts by ///Leo
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
I'm new here, want to get the 808 #16, can anyone tell me if eltopoline sells this with an external power supply that will allow you to record to 2hrs in one go?

does the #16 offer better quality than the lawmate Lawmate RC200 HD keyring here

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/lawmate...amera-dvr.html

if i order the # 16 keyring do i need to upgrade the firmware at all?

and is the #16 better than this http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/minidvr...et-camera.html in terms of quality?
Yellow99 is offline Find More Posts by Yellow99
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow99 View Post
I'm new here, want to get the 808 #16, can anyone tell me if eltopoline sells this with an external power supply that will allow you to record to 2hrs in one go?

does the #16 offer better quality than the lawmate Lawmate RC200 HD keyring here

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/lawmate...amera-dvr.html

if i order the # 16 keyring do i need to upgrade the firmware at all?

and is the #16 better than this http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/minidvr...et-camera.html in terms of quality?
On his site, there's way too many choices for these things.
http://myworld.ebay.com/eletoponline365
He probably has the external power available.
I got fatigued looking at too many of the same things.
But service is quick, I ordered a #16 yesterday, and it's in the mail.
And the return policy is good, I've heard.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Hi Paul, would you say the #16 is better than this

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/minidvr...et-camera.html

i'm also considering the bullet cam, would there be any difference in quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
On his site, there's way too many choices for these things.
http://myworld.ebay.com/eletoponline365
He probably has the external power available.
I got fatigued looking at too many of the same things.
But service is quick, I ordered a #16 yesterday, and it's in the mail.
And the return policy is good, I've heard.
Yellow99 is offline Find More Posts by Yellow99
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:37 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow99 View Post
Hi Paul, would you say the #16 is better than this

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/minidvr...et-camera.html

i'm also considering the bullet cam, would there be any difference in quality?
Yellow99,

The #16 is the best in its $40 class. This thread is about the #16 in the context of aerial videography. There may be better cameras but they are not compared nor tested in this thread. For example, the GoPro is quite good but it is much heavier and 6 times as expensive. What makes this thread good is its singular focus -- the No. 16 Keyfob HD camera.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member