HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:23 AM
Danmark, Sjælland, Korsør
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The +/-EV toggle with no sound toggle is sounding like a better alternative more an more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
If it were possible, instead of a blanket EV+/- I'd like that toggle to be a bottom centre, centre, top centre exposure toggle.
If you blanket EV+1 then when you're looking at (mainly) the ground then it will expose correctly and then increase brightness 1 stop. Not terrible but maybe a little annoying no? Only when you were pointing mainly at the sky would you get a better exposed ground, but for the rest of the time (straight and level) it might be poorer than current.
Just got the camera a few days ago, it's awesome! And v0.18 firmware is a massive improvement. I like the fact that this camera is so versatile, so I would hate to have it adjusted to be "perfect" for aerial video, if that meant making the perfomance in other situations poorer than it is now with the v0.18.

BUT, I agree that it would be cool to have something done with the exposure. I agree with thwaitm, that the overall EV+/- toggle seems really useless (the overall exposure is pretty good as it is). I also agree that the bottom/centre/top expo toggle would be awesome, and in my eyes definitely the best solution. Would that be possible?! Probably.

As for toggles that could be eliminated to make room for this, I could definitely live without sound toggle, loop toggle and auto shut off toggle. And that should be plenty to make room for some exposure, would be my guess.
Klynder is offline Find More Posts by Klynder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:44 AM
808 lover
España, CT, Barcelona
Joined Dec 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
I think it's about time to admit it.... I think the #16 is everything we hoped it would be the day we all first heard about it. The firmware has come through to work out it's "bugs" and in a pretty short time frame too. The config setup gives us some control, maybe more than anyone asked for before it was here even. For the average KC user, I bet it's overkill already.

My hat is off to Tom Frank and the developers for all their hard work and time! I am more than pleased with the product now with the new firmware. Anyone wanting to split hairs over what more can be done should start making suggestions for the next generation camera and stop worring about what more can be done with this one. It's like asking Angelina Jolie if she can be just a little bit prettier?

My two cents, take it with a grain of salt as usual
I wasn't at the times of the #11 but I think some of the features they said they would add aren't available such as the webcam audio, the 60fps in Vga or the vignette fix.

When I bought I had in mind all these nice features, but it looks some of them aren't fixed.

By this, I don't want to "offend" the developers, Tom and Iso, because I think they're working a lot and I think all the community appreciates that. But of course I would like to see a polished version of the #16.

Just my opinion as a newcomer into these 808 cams.

And respect to the features that should be changed, I think too the audio level could be removed (because you can adjust that on youtube and vimeo), and the recording indicator and time stamp could be removed too (because on the other cameras most of the users wnated to remove it).
kasuno is offline Find More Posts by kasuno
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:18 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
No need to stress over it....it's not a political discussion.
Haha - we go to vote today !! SC Republican Primary. Hope the phone calls stop soon.

Anyway, I don't knock the little cams either, hopefully the developers will see the feedback as inspiration and further market opportunity
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:40 AM
wottree
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
maybe one day
No Risk No Fun- crazy horst (7 min 49 sec)

I love the end.
ands is offline Find More Posts by ands
Last edited by ands; Jan 21, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:47 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuno View Post
And respect to the features that should be changed, I think too the audio level could be removed (because you can adjust that on youtube and vimeo).
That depends. If the level toggle affects the analog gain or perhaps the A/D level, then it is useful to prevent analog overload before digitization (which could not be fixed in post). If it just adjusts the digital level after A/D, you are correct and you can fix it in post.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:21 AM
Happy when flying!
France, Aquitaine
Joined Sep 2011
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
maybe one day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6LvQaaSqNg&lc

I love the end.
It's off topic but check http://vimeo.com/user6527917 for more!

This guy is fantastic!
kjrell is offline Find More Posts by kjrell
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:22 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Sorry, today it's a very overcast day. Cloudy, not much light, sleet.

For focus comparison, I upload this video to Vimeo with new 0.18 Firmware

808 #16 Firmware 0.18 Key Chain Cam (2 min 45 sec)
Nytro is offline Find More Posts by Nytro
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:04 AM
Slovakia, Europe
Slovakia, Žilina Region, Zilina
Joined Jan 2012
32 Posts
hi the new fw 0,18 mov i tested :

in any configuration the camera recording the video 18 or max 49 seconds then turns off any leds
jackdaws is offline Find More Posts by jackdaws
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:10 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,405 Posts
What card are you using Jackdazws? Some people have had problems with Transcends. Also, I notice the battery needs to be cycled a few times when it's new.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:12 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
How long keeps the battery in the #16 cam? Specification is 40 minutes but how is it in real?
Nytro is offline Find More Posts by Nytro
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
maybe one day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6LvQaaSqNg&lc

I love the end.
Some amazing footage there, FPV I assume, though I couldn't see you were wearing goggles? Boy you get around too. Lovely locations.
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Last edited by bobflyman; Jan 21, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:23 AM
Lisbon, Portugal
Joined Jan 2011
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrell View Post
It's off topic but check http://vimeo.com/user6527917 for more!

This guy is fantastic!
Have you seen his remote TX? what kint of TX is that?
filipinto is offline Find More Posts by filipinto
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:53 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,360 Posts
It's cold outside. It snowed. I have V18 firmware installed so I thought I would capture some video.

#16 HD keycam outdoor snowy v18 firmware.MOV (1 min 40 sec)
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:16 AM
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
669 Posts
I tried out my cam today at -5C (23 degrees Fahrenheit) on a plane. It shut down after 3 minutes in the air. Is that expected due to the cold temp or should I try the spare battery I got when I bought it?
/Håkan
hakank is offline Find More Posts by hakank
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:31 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
It's cold outside. It snowed. I have V18 firmware installed so I thought I would capture some video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfvKtyAwjDU
I think that looks really good..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob